What would upset you most about an upcoming Direct?

• More Wii U ports

Votes: 290 18.8%
  • No Breath of the Wild 2

Votes: 565 36.7%
  • No Smash

Votes: 473 30.7%
  • Yes Smash

Votes: 302 19.6%
  • Heavy third party focus

Votes: 347 22.5%
  • No new games until June

Votes: 213 13.8%
  • Other

Votes: 76 4.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MusicProposition

User requested ban
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
Big fan of Joseph Anderson. I don't agree with him often, but he makes those few very well-thought videos and is brave enough to criticize even the biggest titles for their weaker points.

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
This + his tastes are incredibly narrow, which, like you said, means he's almost always disappointed. Arlo tries hard to be positive and upbeat, but his channel is actually the opposite a lot of the time. Which is fine occasionally, but it's too much for me.

I don't even think it's that his tastes are narrow so much as that he really, really, REALLY likes single player adventure games and games that have you exploring a 3D space specifically. A persistent wishlist item from him the past few years has been for Nintendo to make a new game in that style (on one occasion, he specifically said "a new single player IP that can go toe to toe with Zelda or Mario" in regards to its scope). He's probably perpetually disappointed because not only does he not get a ton of what he looks for out of Nintendo's games most of the time, but he feels he needs to weigh in about the stuff he's disappointed about because that's what gets his videos views.

I feel like if his non-Nintendo videos did better, or if he did more videos on games from older consoles, he could have a field day making content that leaned into the stuff he liked. He has PS4 with a whole backlog he says in his videos that he can't get to because he's too busy, and a bunch of opinions about older games and I can't help but yell at the screen "THEN MAKE VIDEOS ABOUT THOSE GAMES" when he brings this up. As it stands I don't mind hearing him ramble and rant about what didn't work about stuff, and we have similar tastes in games so when he DOES like something I usually look into it, but his shtick is clearly grating on people and his insistence on staying topical for his videos might bite him at some point.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
It is their style, they just revived Marvel Ultimate Alliance last year and it was quite successful. I'd love this to be a battle between two companies in the next couple of years, we'll get lots of revival of forgotten franchises in the process. I'm totally on board Sony funding an AAA Castlevania for instance.

Licensing or funding an IP is not the same as outright buying it. Nintendo has funded third party IPs (Bayonetta 2/3, Fatal Frame, Culdcept etc) as well as licensed them (Momotaro Densetsu on 3DS). I don't recall any case where Nintendo has gone out of their way to buy a third party IP, like Sony is rumored of doing.

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
Well. Instead of continuing this Arlo conversation, that will lead nowhere. Maybe we could recommend some of our favorite gaming youtube creators and expand our horizons.

I'll start by recommending Design Doc and Game Maker's toolkit, both channels are all about analyzing the design of videogames.

AntDude never seems to get talked about much, but I like his videos a lot, they're very consistently quality and he's pretty funny without trying too hard for the joke. Same goes to Scott the Woz, though he's been a bit hit or miss with me lately.

On a less Nintendo related note, TheGamingBrit has some good rants on PS2 era stuff (especially his Ratchet & Clank/Jak & Daxter videos), and SuperBunnyHop doesn't seem to upload much anymore but he's got some good videos on specific games and in depth journalism on the game industry.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
I greatly enjoy the dissonance that arises because Scott the Woz's format is so old school but his humor is so unabashedly weird and postmodern

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Licensing or funding an IP is not the same as outright buying it. Nintendo has funded third party IPs (Bayonetta 2/3, Fatal Frame, Culdcept etc) as well as licensed them (Momotaro Densetsu on 3DS). I don't recall any case where Nintendo has gone out of their way to buy a third party IP, like Sony is rumored of doing.

I really doubt Sony is buying the IP's permanently, it's most likely an agreement involving specific amount of games for three franchises. No way Konami parts with its three most important franchises.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
sounds like the audience needs a nap

It's overly manipulative designed to make the audience impulse purchase titles they wouldn't ordinarily buy because they don't know about anything else that they might be waiting for in the future.

18 months from initial trailers to release is about where I personally want things and that seems generally in line with what the average person would want

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
I enjoy Scott the Woz and Peanut Butter Gamer.
Same! Although I much prefer Scott. Tim Rogers dabbles in Nintendo stuff from time to time and he's fantastic.

I'd also like to recommend:
  • Classic Gaming Quarterly
  • Did You Know Gaming?
  • Gaijillionaire
  • GameXplain
  • Gaming Historian
  • implantgames
  • Nintendo World Report TV
  • Vinesauce
  • Zelda Dungeon

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
It's overly manipulative designed to make the audience impulse purchase titles they wouldn't ordinarily buy because they don't know about anything else that they might be waiting for in the future.

18 months from initial trailers to release is about where I personally want things and that seems generally in line with what the average person would want
the answer to this conundrum:

If this sort of stuff genuinely frustrates someone they shouldn't buy games at launch

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
I really doubt Sony is buying the IP's permanently, it's most likely an agreement involving specific amount of games for three franchises. No way Konami parts with its three most important franchises.

I doubt that they are buying the IPs at all, as those three franchises are easy money for Konami through re-released and themed pachinko. It's likely a licensing agreement.

In any case, while Nintendo could potentially license or fund third party franchises, buying them outright is very unlikely.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019

You're presuming a lot about the average person.

I've generally seen positive reactions to Nintendo's late reveal strategy. It draws things out less

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017

I much prefer a shorter announcement to release cycle. Some game previews are so drawn out.

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019

I've generally seen positive reactions to Nintendo's late reveal strategy. It draws things out less
I agree. It's important to note that MOST of the time, there won't be as big of gaps in big releases like we have right now. Usually we still know the next few big games coming out in the next 6 months-1 year, this year has just been more unusual in that regard.

And certain games like Zelda are pretty much exceptions to this anyway, Nintendo doesn't mind teasing it early.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017

sounds like you need better impulse control tbh

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018

Personally I think that the "drawing out" process is less about when something is first revealed and more about how laboured the process is.

A good example being the latest DC Batman game which was so drawn out that the audience got angry because big reveals were essentially nothing except wasting the audiences time.

A teaser 12-18 months out that shows the title and some art is fine. Then an initial trailer 12-6 months out at a major event, then a release date 3-6 months out and a final hype build about a month out seems ideal.

It's also worth noting that people were in the process of waiting 10+ years for Nomura's next game, when the desire for shorter cycles became loud. at that time it felt like generally AAA games were revealing 2-3 years out, and not all were making it through the production process.

I agree. It's important to note that MOST of the time, there won't be as big of gaps in big releases like we have right now. Usually we still know the next few big games coming out in the next 6 months-1 year, this year has just been more unusual in that regard.

And certain games like Zelda are pretty much exceptions to this anyway, Nintendo doesn't mind teasing it early.

Exactly if Zelda can be teased early why not other single player games

Edit:
sounds like you need better impulse control tbh

My impulse control is fine thanks for asking. I enjoy the anticipation of it all, nothing wrong with wanting to know spoilers.

Last edited:

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
As far as I'm concerned, a world in which no game is ever shown in any capacity any more than six months from release would be the best world. If I can't play it anytime soon, I don't need to know about it.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Getting manipulated into buying a game you didn't want is the most Era thing ever...

...or tales from the ass have gotten stronger somehow.

Strat

"This guy are sick"
Apr 8, 2018

Who the fuck is this stupid? Come on.

"I don't know what's coming out, so I might as well buy this shit I don't want!"

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017

I´m sorry but I´m not sure about this theory. I don´t give a monkeys about AC and while I wait for Nintendo decides to talk about any other game, I curse them and play other consoles in the meantime. I am not buying AC.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Video game corporations are very good at selling games and definitely look for every advantage to make as much money as possible.

I'm in no way suggesting things are underhanded. Just that using a drip feed approach to conditioning the audience will lead to a greater amount of games purchased then a more detailed roadmap

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
if anything, Nintendo shoving all of their releases into the back half of the year encourages me to buy less games

I can't afford that many games at once, and by the time I can afford games again they're OLD NEWS

Deleted member 64301

Banned
Mar 4, 2020
I don't buy that there has been a significant change in Nintendo's overall marketing strategy since last year. They had a plan for 2019 that included saturating the market with games. I remember them saying that in an interview. There may have been a delay in something planned for 2020 that led to this void. I always suspected the AC:NH delay was a late change meant to mitigate this lack of games right now. I expect things to look normal again by mid-year as that 2019 saturation and subsequent drought fade away.

The coronavirus effect is interesting because it probably does affect development in a negative way despite the remote work strategies. Plus you have issues with manufacturing, etc. But it also seems to increase demand for video games as people have more free time at home. Publishers can react to the market forces in literally any way and people will say toldyaso.

Last edited:

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I want the Direct to come so we can hear the Tales of how everyone survived the Direct drought.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Thanks for a sharing. What a tune man.

------

Btw, just finished the fourth episode of Watchmen. I want to think I am starting to understand something...
Cowritten by David Paich and produced by the brilliant Steve Porcaro, both from Toto

Steve also wrote Michael Jackson's "Human Nature" and did the synth string programming on "Stranger in Moscow" (among countless other contributions)

Guaraná

Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
Spawn Wave is also very good. I like John's approach to news in general and his hardware videos are awesome. Plus the Spawn Wave podcast is always fun with Spawn, NateDrake , Miss Click, MV Game and a bunch of other guys the dynamic is awesome. I always listen to them while cleaning my house at sunday morning, they make those two hours less painful.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Spawn Wave is also very good. I like John's approach to news in general and his hardware videos are awesome. Plus the Spawn Wave podcast is always fun with Spawn, NateDrake , Miss Click, MV Game and a bunch of other guys the dynamic is awesome. I always listen to them while cleaning my house at sunday morning, they make those two hours less painful.
I use to listen to it too but I stopped when he said he wouldn't mind having Bit Block on the show.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I generally prefer longer announcement to release timelines so I can plan my timing/purchases better, but it doesn't really matter a whole lot since I always have a backlog and I'm a working adult who lives with their parents so money isn't as much of a concern as it was several years ago. Conversely extremely long announcement to release schedules don't bother me much anymore either because time passes so quickly for me now (the wait for something like FF7 Remake honestly feels shorter to me than the wait for, say, Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire despite the former actually being substantially longer).

jimmer kripper

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018

18 months? You're nuts. Give me a couple months notice except for games like smash where you drip feed newcomers. I wanna play the game soon after its announced, not sit there waiting for over a year.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I think the main spawn guy seems t9 have 0 non gaming opinions

he is like the ideal person in the mins of zizek sniff 0 sniff ideology sniff

which also means he can't tell who is good or bad

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
the latest spawn cast was funny

bunch of gamers trying to discuss labor practises and what the proletariat that makes games should do to end institutional crunch

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Should listen to my podcast. MVG and I do one once a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.