smisk

Oct 27, 2017
As long as we're talking shit on the NES Online service, I can't stand the presentation. It get's so cluttered having up to 3 different versions of some games when you include the special rom hack things. They should just have an option to select the other modes before you even start the game.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
The gyro controls are nice for minor correction. I've never played a Sniper Elite game before, but I've been having fun with Sniper Elite V2 Remastered on Switch.

How's performance?
Videos I've seen the framerate seems to go sub 30 /25ish every time they rotate the camera.

Also I'd love to know how's the Saints Row 3's Switch port. Despite owning the game on Steam I've never played it and iirc the gameplay is not like the very cool SR2, is it true? Also does it have the superhero powers bullshit like the 4th game?

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
How's performance?
Videos I've seen the framerate seems to go sub 30 /25ish every time they rotate the camera.

Also I'd love to know how's the Saints Row 3's Switch port. Despite owning the game on Steam I've never played it and iirc the gameplay is not like the very cool SR2, is it true? Also does it have the superhero powers bullshit like the 4th game?
Given the slow nature of the game, the framerate hasn't been an issue for me in Sniper Elite. Even with dips it hasn't impact gameplay, in my opinion. I guess if you try to run & gun it may have a greater impact on your enjoyment.

Saints Row stuff is under embargo for another couple of days. I have some content planned for SR3, but some YT outlets have pirated the game & started to post footage, so I'm not sure how much content for SR3 I'll end up doing.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Thanks Nate.

As long as we're talking shit on the NES Online service, I can't stand the presentation. It get's so cluttered having up to 3 different versions of some games when you include the special rom hack things. They should just have an option to select the other modes before you even start the game.

My biggest pet peeves are:

NO FREAKIN' MANUAL, REALLY??!!!
Especially since the vast majority already had great digital manuals. But hey I get it it's costly, then do just a small page with a few important tidbits or similar to the earlier Hamster's ACA manuals.

...secondly, but hopefully this one has since been patched, I wanted to ask
HOW THE FUCK DO YOU MAKE THE
- SELECT / + START OSD TEXT GO AWAY??!!!

El Pescado

Oct 26, 2017
Just beat DYA Games' Viviette. A really fun little horror game. It's practically impossible to get the good ending without using a FAQ, but I enjoyed the game regardless. I'd be all over a sequel for both this and Bot Vice.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Thanks Nate.

Especially since the vast majority already had great digital manuals. But hey I get it it's costly, then do just a small page with a few important tidbits or similar to the earlier Hamster's ACA manuals.

Use NES controllers and the text on the bottom for start/select will go away and only describe how to open the menu. It still has the white border but it's not a big deal. TBH, it still isn't too much compared to the dotted border which I find more annoying

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks Nate.

It's kinda sad that the Wii U went from having a decently designed eShop and digital manuals to Switch having a horrible eShop that looks like it was thrown together in a couple of hours and no digital manual for the games.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
I love the NES Online thing, yes their output is crap and the 2 game months while Japan got more were inexcusable - but I've spent over 50hrs so far playing old classics I love and even some new ones I hadn't really played much before.

But geez I wish I could get rid of that crap text on the screen when I play. How in 2019 is there still not an option to hide the menu/button prompt things? Can't just say the usual 'because Nintendo' reason as they've been doing this VC stuff for a few systems now. :|

Cyn

Oct 31, 2017
I'm am one of the developers of the game, thank you for purchasing it and let me know if you enjoy it ;)
Black Paradox is an awesome game! I managed to sit down for an hour or two with it last night and had an absolute blast!

I love the character and ship designs, the art work, and the music is fantastic! I only managed to get past the second boss - I'm not very good :D But what I did manage to play, I really enjoyed an awful lot. Zero performance issues and rapid loading, this seems perfect for quick rounds on public transport or at lunch time.

I think I've found my new rogue-lite :)

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
How's performance?

Here's footage from someone with a legit physical copy:

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Despite owning the game on Steam I've never played it and iirc the gameplay is not like the very cool SR2, is it true? Also does it have the superhero powers bullshit like the 4th game?
SR 3 is peak Saint's Row to me.
The fourth game, while good in it's own right, undermined a lot of the sensibilities of the series by introducing super powers in my opinion. The third game has none of that stuff while building on what came before it.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
The fourth game, while good in it's own right, undermined a lot of the sensibilities of the series by introducing super powers in my opinion. The third game has none of that stuff while building on what came before it.
I'd seen those kinds of complaints about SR4 at the time but somehow I'd still be curious to try it by now if they brought that to Switch also. Loved SR3 at the time on PS3.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
I would play so much more NES if there was a proper dpad and booklet scans.

Startropics seems neat but no dpad makes it a nightmare and I dropped it in less than an hour like every other NES game on the service.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
I'd seen those kinds of complaints about SR4 at the time but somehow I'd still be curious to try it by now if they brought that to Switch also. Loved SR3 at the time on PS3.

SR3 is a very crazy GTA while SR4 is a lesser Spider-man PS4, if that makes sense. They went a few steps too far in the crazyness that it didn't feel crazy anymore, instead felt like a fantasy game like Prototype.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jesus Christ dude, I still gotta finish Katamari, Wolfenstein II, then buy and complete Tales of Vesperia, Dragon's Dogma, Xenoblade 2, and a bunch more.

There are too many dope games to play :(

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
I played Saints Row 3 on PC and I think being over the top is its greatest quality. That said, I hate how over the top it is.

The gameplay is nice and fun, but the tone is just waaay too silly for me. The fact that it costs 40 bucks (very, very overpriced) and being released by THQ make this an easy "no" for me.

I would play so much more NES if there was a proper dpad and booklet scans.

Startropics seems neat but no dpad makes it a nightmare and I dropped it in less than an hour like every other NES game on the service.

Have you tried playing Gradius on it? Man, it's an absolute nightmare with the joycon. I once wanted to go down and forward to avoid some shots and I actually went up and backward 0_0

I love those games, so they motivated me to finally buy the 8bitdo Wireless Adapter. Now I can play it with my Wii U Pro Controller and it's sooo much better!

And since we're complaining about stuff... I've posted this about Dark Souls recently...

I just bought Dark Souls. I've beaten it before on my crappy notebook at 720p and mostly 25 fps, so you can imagine I'm not very picky about technical issues.

I've followed the conversation about the port and whenever I saw people complaining about the sound, I was "nah, itsfuckingnothing.gif".

Boy, was I wrong. This is really, really bad. Sound is awful, horrible. I'm not sure whether it makes me regret my purchase or not, but it's super bad. I mean, even using headphones I can't tell the difference between 128 and 320 kbps mp3s, but as soon as the game starts and you first hit something, it's immediately clear how bad the sound is. The music, the voices, the sound effect, everything is really freaking bad.

... and while I haven't changed my mind about the poor audio quality, let me add that aside from that the port is really good. I just went through Blighttown and performance remained solid.

Image quality is also pretty good. I know it's dynamic 1080p, but I'm not very sensitive to technical stuff so I can't even notice the instances where it drops. It looks awesome to me the whole time.

I've also noticed that my attitude towards the game became more positive when I started playing it in my bedroom (I move the Switch to my bedroom on weekends). I don't have a stereo connected to that TV, so the audio issues are harder to notice.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
I played Saints Row 3 on PC and I think being over the top is its greatest quality. That said, I hate how over the top it is.

The gameplay is nice and fun, but the tone is just waaay too silly for me. The fact that it costs 40 bucks (very, very overpriced) and being released by THQ make this an easy "no" for me.

Have you tried playing Gradius on it? Man, it's an absolute nightmare with the joycon. I once wanted to go down and forward to avoid some shots and I actually went up and backward 0_0

I love those games, so they motivated me to finally buy the 8bitdo Wireless Adapter. Now I can play it with my Wii U Pro Controller and it's sooo much better!

And since we're complaining about stuff... I've posted this about Dark Souls recently...

... and while I haven't changed my mind about the poor audio quality, let me add that aside from that the port is really good. I just went through Blighttown and performance remained solid.

Image quality is also pretty good. I know it's dynamic 1080p, but I'm not very sensitive to technical stuff so I can't even notice the instances where it drops. It looks awesome to me the whole time.

I've also noticed that my attitude towards the game became more positive when I started playing it in my bedroom (I move the Switch to my bedroom on weekends). I don't have a stereo connected to that TV, so the audio issues are harder to notice.

Yeah Gradius was impossible unfortunately. That would have gotten heavy play from me.

Ninja Gaiden is one of the few that actually didn't give me issue, I guess since I mostly "tap" the dpad in that game.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
cross-posting here, but I'd love to hear feedback from anyone that owns an 8bitdo SN 30 Pro controller. Thinking I might pick it up instead of paying $150 for an arcade stick. I'd use it mainly for my 2D games and shmups, but am curious whether the dpad is really that much better than the Switch Pro Controller. Unfortunately, I don't have access to a Wii U pro controller, so getting an adapter isn't an option.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Basically I bought GTAV on PS3 and stopped after 5 hours because I knew it was coming to PS4 and wanted to enjoy it there... then grabbed it on PS4, played it a bunch (like 15 hours) and then stopped cause I wanted to go full on 60fps on PC. Then I moved to a different Country and have been without a true gaming pc since, but in the meantime the Nintendo Switch came out, my priorities changed from just buying games with the best possible performance but almost never actually playing my shit to buying *AND* playing games thanks to portability and a few industry friends told me it was a sure thing on Switch... so I've never even launched it on PC lol and my PS4 copy is on some box, waiting for the (improbable) release of GTAV Switch...

...enter the Switch port of Saints Row 3 and its GTA-ish gameplay :P

Here's footage from someone with a legit physical copy:

...aaaand bought! 😂
Was looking for a physical copy but then I saw that it was less than €25 on the Russian eShop and I said wth let's do it ;)

Hopefully I'll also be able to try the multiplayer coop part ... what do you say Arturo ? 😬

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
cross-posting here, but I'd love to hear feedback from anyone that owns an 8bitdo SN 30 Pro controller. Thinking I might pick it up instead of paying $150 for an arcade stick. I'd use it mainly for my 2D games and shmups, but am curious whether the dpad is really that much better than the Switch Pro Controller. Unfortunately, I don't have access to a Wii U pro controller, so getting an adapter isn't an option.

Unless they've done some revision and fixed the buttons (which is entirely possible, I stopped following them a good while ago), or you're up to modding it yourself, I'd advise against it. The way the buttons are set up on their SFC/SNES controllers (PRO or standard) introduce inerent physical input lag (so it's an analog/mechanical issue, not a digital one), tho the vast majority of buyers don't seem to notice it.
It's super easy to spot, just try to do fast non-stop jumps in a row on Super Mario World: with a proper SNES controller you'll do like 10 jumps while on the same timeframe you'll pull at most 9 jumps with the 8bitdo.

I posted my thoughts in a thread at the old place which was titled "the SNES 8bitdo is the best controller ever" or a similar hyperbolic title. You can read a bunch of in-depth posts I made in it, with most people shooting me down at first only to come back a couple weeks or even months later saying that they should've listened to me... with time passing by more and more owners noticed it. They're fine for casually playing but even then it pisses me off so it's stored in a drawer somewhere.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
There's a few games on my to grab when goes on sale list like starlink and Crypt of the necrodancer but the latter will be skipped if Cadence of Hyrule comes out first. Otherwise next major announced I plan to get is marvel ultimate alliance 3! Oh and quite likely yugioh lotd le. Speaking of also Who else here plans to grab Yugioh legacy of the duelist link evolution, especially with the physical version coming?

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
Unless they've done some revision and fixed the buttons (which is entirely possible, I stopped following them a good while ago), or you're up to modding it yourself, I'd advise against it. The way the buttons are set up on their SFC/SNES controllers (PRO or standard) introduce inerent physical input lag (so it's an analog/mechanical issue, not a digital one), tho the vast majority of buyers don't seem to notice it.
It's super easy to spot, just try to do fast non-stop jumps in a row on Super Mario World: with a proper SNES controller you'll do like 10 jumps while on the same timeframe you'll pull at most 9 jumps with the 8bitdo.

I posted my thoughts in a thread at the old place which was titled "the SNES 8bitdo is the best controller ever" or a similar hyperbolic title. You can read a bunch of in-depth posts I made in it, with most people shooting me down at first only to come back a couple weeks or even months later saying that they should've listened to me... with time passing by more and more owners noticed it. They're fine for casually playing but even then it pisses me off so it's stored in a drawer somewhere.

ah shit, thanks for the reply. it seems that finding a solid controller for the Switch (other than the Pro, which had its own d-pad woes) at a decent price is kind of a pain in the ass? i love my shooters, but i'm not convinced i need a high quality arcade pad or even want one given the amount of time i also devote to other games. have you found a better alternative?

edit: the 8bitdo website says the latency issue for the Switch was fixed; I'm assuming that fix was implemented on newer models

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2017
There's a few games on my to grab when goes on sale list like starlink and Crypt of the necrodancer but the latter will be skipped if Cadence of Hyrule comes out first. Otherwise next major announced I plan to get is marvel ultimate alliance 3! Oh and quite likely yugioh lotd le. Speaking of also Who else here plans to grab Yugioh legacy of the duelist link evolution, especially with the physical version coming?
Man I have wanted starlink for so long. I can't bring myself to get it.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Man I have wanted starlink for so long. I can't bring myself to get it.
I can roll with digital deluxe or heck base digital at half off($40, $30 respectively) since both have everything you need to beat the game, and if you get the Star Fox and base then it's the same as deluxe with more pilots. It's not a bad deal and they've done it before I just went with other sale items

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
SR3 is a very crazy GTA while SR4 is a lesser Spider-man PS4, if that makes sense. They went a few steps too far in the crazyness that it didn't feel crazy anymore, instead felt like a fantasy game like Prototype.
It always felt more like Crackdown to me. Especially with the orb collection and stuff.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone

tenor.gif

At the very least, add in a page on the game info pop-up screen to show what the controls and button inputs are. This is yet another lame excuse to "just use your smartphone" to remediate a problem that shouldn't exist in 2019.

What really triggers me though, is that they have the gall to plaster that damn distracting galaxy-brain button prompt text at the bottom of every NES game but neglect to provide actual helpful control info for each specific game there instead. I'm convinced this is an intentional decision enforced by some sadistic nincompoop at Nintendo just to spite us all.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone played Death Mark? What's your impression?
Well, I bought Death Mark, couldn't resist the sale - but I haven't played it yet. One of my daughters keeps stealing my Switch, and so I am still in the middle of Shadowgate :-( . I really need Nintendo to come out with the Switch lite asap.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Well, I bought Death Mark, couldn't resist the sale - but I haven't played it yet. One of my daughters keeps stealing my Switch, and so I am still in the middle of Shadowgate :-( . I really need Nintendo to come out with the Switch lite asap.

This is the exact same predicament I'm in. I bought the switch so that I could play it while the kids are using the television, but my eldest has basically taken it as her own and her siblings still monopolize the TV.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Is there really no way to buy a code as a gift for someone? I just have to give them an eShop card?

Nov 8, 2017
Totally randomly stumbled upon For The King which releases this week. Two-sentence summary:

For The King is a strategic RPG that blends tabletop and roguelike elements in a challenging adventure that spans the realms. Set off on a single player experience or play cooperatively both online and locally.

It looks FANTASTIC, has "Very Positive" reviews on Steam with over 4,000 reviews, and hits for $19.99 instead of their normal $24.99. Coming Thursday, May 9.

I post this only because I had no idea this was a thing and it looks awesome.

Oct 27, 2017
Celeste is on sale in AU/EU. Hope US follows.
I had an email from a price watch site informing me it has gone on sale, otherwise I wouldn't have known. The official Celeste Twitter account hasn't even mentioned it.

I don't understand why a developer would drop a sale on a Tuesday with zero fanfare, rather than promote the discount heavily or even wait until Thursday when Nintendo do the PR for them with the weekly download dispatch.

Still, think it's about time I bite. Was willing to pay full price if I cleared my backlog, which I haven't yet, but at 33% off I'm struggling to resist.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
What the hell... Just went to purchase Picross E9 that came out in JP last year, only to find out there's no western release? Why would they do this :(

Oct 25, 2017
I had an email from a price watch site informing me it has gone on sale, otherwise I wouldn't have known. The official Celeste Twitter account hasn't even mentioned it.

I don't understand why a developer would drop a sale on a Tuesday with zero fanfare, rather than promote the discount heavily or even wait until Thursday when Nintendo do the PR for them with the weekly download dispatch.

Still, think it's about time I bite. Was willing to pay full price if I cleared my backlog, which I haven't yet, but at 33% off I'm struggling to resist.
Doesn't look like it's on sale in NA sadly or I'd bite as well