• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jubenhimer

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Arguably, they're doing more internally now than before (though probably not proportionately) now that they set up a studio - Monolith Kyoto - and repurposed another - 1UP.
Still, its the same idea. Nintendo these days contracts asset creation to other partners such as the two you listed because its faster, and cheaper than doing it in-house. Plus it allows the core team to focus on just the mechanics, design, and features of the game. Thus speeding up development time, and allowing them to move on to the next project much quicker.

Nintendo especially benefits from outsourcing since the majority of their titles only have a fraction of the budget and team size of a standard AAA release. Sure it's nice that we get a BotW or Mario Odyssey from them once in a while. But Nintendo is much closer to a AA developer than a lot of fans like to admit. They're like Bandai Namco in this case.

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
In my case, I bought a Switch for Nintendo games & have little interest in re-buying most Wii U games, so there hasn't been a whole lot for me to play on the system beyond revisiting Smash, Splatoon 2, & ARMS. I would have double-dipped on DBFZ if it weren't for the frame-rate drops.
Not trying to come @ you but the signs to hold off on investing in a Switch if you're only interested in 1st party software have been aparent for a while now. Especially if you owned a Wii U.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Not trying to come @ you but the signs to hold off on investing in a Switch if you're only interested in 1st party software have been aparent for a while now. Especially if you owned a Wii U.
And miss out on Smash/Odyssey/ARMS/Splatoon 2/Xenoblade 2/etc. at launch, not a chance. I'm not gonna miss out on Nintendo games just because I'm not a huge fan of most indie games or the fact that I get most third party games elsewhere.

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm fiending for Bayonetta 3 gameplay footage.

tenor.gif
Its almost like they are trying to replicate Bayonetta 2's reveal -> trailer -> release schedule. That was such a gruesome wait and Bayonetta 3 is looking no different. Its like they keep revealing them super early for what reason I dont fucking know.

All these people complaining about "barren" months probably don't even play games and just bitch on forums about no games being released.
This is something to be warned/banned about?? Surprised about that.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So if we get a Nindies direct next week, when do they anniunce it? This week, next week?

Dark Cloud You said the last time they announced it 4 or more days before the direct.
So last year we had two Nindies Presentations. One was announced Thursday and one was announced Friday. Both presentations were on the following Tuesday. So let's see if we get an announcement tomorrow or Friday.

rzmunch

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
So last year we had two Nindies Presentations. One was announced Thursday and one was announced Friday. Both presentations were on the following Tuesday. So let's see if we get an announcement tomorrow or Friday.
Thanks. Lets hope they announce it tomorrow or monday (for a Thursday Direct with something like Wargroobe to download after the direct).

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Its almost like they are trying to replicate Bayonetta 2's reveal -> trailer -> release schedule. That was such a gruesome wait and Bayonetta 3 is looking no different. Its like they keep revealing them super early for what reason I dont fucking know.
Bayonetta 3 was likely a case of having their hand forced. They announce that Bayo 1/2 are coming to Switch & people ask "why not make Bayo 3?" Announce Bayo 1/2 with intentions to have Bayo 3 come to the platform and you answer that question and silence concerns.

Last edited:

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Bayonetta 3 was likely a case of having their hand forced. They announce that Bayo 1/2 are coming to Switch & people ask "why not make Bayo 3?" Announce Bayo 1/2 with intentions to have Bayo 3 coming to platform and you answer that question and silence concerns.
That's definitely the case. It's likely also the reason why we saw the Pokemon and Metroid Prime 4 announcements at E3 2017. There would've definitely been a lot of fan outrage if we were left with just Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon and Samus Returns.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
This is something to be warned/banned about?? Surprised about that.

It was supposed to be a riff on that classic Super Paper Mario meme about people complaining in forums. I guess I should have made it more obvious so it wouldn't offend anyone.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
That's definitely the case. That's likely also why we saw the Pokemon and Metroid Prime 4 announcements at E3 2017. There would've definitely been a lot of fan outrage if we were left with just Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon and Samus Returns.
Bingo. They needed to reassure fans that Let's Go was a spin-off and not the next mainline entry. The experience offered in Let's Go is for the Let's Go line and was not representative of the future of the mainline games. Samus Returns for 3DS without a MP4 teaser trailer would have gotten a massive wave of backlash. New Nintendo hardware at E3, new Metroid for old handheld = angry people. Announcing plans to bring Metroid Prime 4 to Switch calmed the concerns and let people know that Samus would find her way to Switch with a new game.

It's smart marketing to keep fans appeased, though the trade-off was a lengthy wait until you actually see the games in trailer/release form.

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
Bingo. They needed to reassure fans that Let's Go was a spin-off and not the next mainline entry. The experience offered in Let's Go is for the Let's Go line and was not representative of the future of the mainline games. Samus Returns for 3DS without a MP4 teaser trailer would have gotten a massive wave of backlash. New Nintendo hardware at E3, new Metroid for old handheld = angry people. Announcing plans to bring Metroid Prime 4 to Switch calmed the concerns and let people know that Samus would find her way to Switch with a new game.

It's smart marketing to keep fans appeased, though the trade-off was a lengthy wait until you actually see the games in trailer/release form.
Nate, is it possible for metroid prime trilogy to only get a digital release? What I was thinking was that maybe Nintendo will shadow drop it on the eshop after a direct in February.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bayonetta 3 was likely a case of having their hand forced. They announce that Bayo 1/2 are coming to Switch & people ask "why not make Bayo 3?" Announce Bayo 1/2 with intentions to have Bayo 3 come to the platform and you answer that question and silence concerns.
Well I hope this means we get another case of them announcing Baten Kaitos 1 + 2 Collection with Baten Kaitos 3 coming to Switch.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That would be a TRAVESTY if Nintendo just dropped MPT as a digital game after the Direct.

How does that help the marketing towards Metroid Prime 4? It needs to be a physical release coming in the future. They can talk and tell people to play it for Metroid Prime 4.

Jubenhimer

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 14, 2019
In terms of new games, Nintendo has shown us more and more ways the Switch can be used since January 2017. 1-2 Switch and ARMS showed us it can be a tabletop motion control system on the go. Nintendo Labo showed us it can used to make interactive toys, and Super Mario Party showed that it can put a fresh spin on dual screen gaming. Do you think Nintendo will keep introducing new "Custom" playstyles for various games and modes each year like they've been doing?

Deleted member 41183

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Somewhat interestingly, Kmishima was listed as the Executive Producer on Super Mario Party, but then on LGPE and Smash it switched over to Furukuwa, which makes sense he's the new president (clearly he wasn't in charge for the entire development of the game, though).

But then on both NSMBU DX and the M&L Remake it's back to Kimishima again.

So, does that mean that Nintendo's been holding on to these since before October? September? August?

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Somewhat interestingly, Kmishima was listed as the Executive Producer on Super Mario Party, but then on LGPE and Smash it switched over to Furukuwa, which makes sense he's the new president (clearly he wasn't in charge for the whole project, though).

So, does that mean that Nintendo's been holding on to these since before October? September? August?
They probably were holding off on them. Didn't they already have localised footage of Mario & Luigi back in the March Direct last year?

EDIT: Yep.

Jubenhimer

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 14, 2019
So somewhat interestingly, Kmishima was listed as the Executive Producer on Super Mario Party, but then on LGPE and Smash it switched over to Kimishima, which makes sense he's the new president (clearly he wasn't in charge for the whole project, though).

You mean Furukawa?

Anyway, It wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo was sitting on a few games for early 2019. M&L and NSMBU DX have probably been done for a while.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
Do you think Nintendo will keep introducing new "Custom" playstyles for various games and modes each year like they've been doing?

I hope not because it seems to only appeal to the minority of people. I hope they would spend any time wasted on developing more play styles on better software appealing to the broader market such as a new open world game.

Paper Wario

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo needs to buy James Bond license. Nobody owns it currently and it's a goldmine. Lots of genres could be made out of it (FPS would still be best of them), and they do have experience of working with EON. Buy it, give it to Retro and they would make even better 007 fps than Goldeneye.

Third person 007 games from EA weren't bad either, especially Everything Or Nothing. Cool platforming and vehicle segments in that game.
Yes please 100%. I was hoping Telltale would have done something with it but alas...

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
That would be a TRAVESTY if Nintendo just dropped MPT as a digital game after the Direct.

How does that help the marketing towards Metroid Prime 4? It needs to be a physical release coming in the future. They can talk and tell people to play it for Metroid Prime 4.
I think it's better to keep the budget as low as possible to prevent the Metroid franchise from getting put on ice again. Metroid has never been able to find a following as large as many of Nintendo's other tentpole franchises. Throwing a bunch of money at a marketing campaign won't fix that when there just isn't interest in the franchise on the level of something like Mario or Zelda.

You mean Furukawa?

Anyway, It wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo was sitting on a few games for early 2019. M&L and NSMBU DX have probably been done for a while.
I'm sure Nintendo is sitting on a bunch of Wii U ports and other re-releases, waiting for the right time to drop them. I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo figures something out for February. A gap month is very uncharacteristic of them in the Switch era.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope not because it seems to only appeal to the minority of people. I hope they would spend any time wasted on developing more play styles on better software appealing to the broader market such as a new open world game.
It's like a waste of time. 1-2 Switch was decent. Didn't do nothing great. Nobody cares about the Toad room or whatever in Super Mario Party. Atleast in certain games they shouldn't bother. The Switch isn't the Wii.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's better to keep the budget as low as possible to prevent the Metroid franchise from getting put on ice again. Metroid has never been able to find a following as large as many of Nintendo's other tentpole franchises. Throwing a bunch of money at a marketing campaign won't fix that when there just isn't interest in the franchise on the level of something like Mario or Zelda.

I'm sure Nintendo is sitting on a bunch of Wii U ports and other re-releases, waiting for the right time to drop them. I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo figures something out for February. A gap month is very uncharacteristic of them in the Switch era.
Nah I disagree. I hope they put a ton of money into MP4's marketing and treat it like it's a big deal. Make it a big deal. Shove it into the faces of people.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017

Let's Go isn't a spinoff according to Game Freaks, but a mainstream Pokemon game.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

If they are putting prime trilogy on the switch anyway, that means they are doing it to really try to push it for prime 4, so not sure why they would just shadow drop it on the eshop. Like Bayo 1/2 aren't exactly big sellers, and even just a port of that got a big announcement. I don't think they really care about the budget if they greenlit prime 4 at all.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Nah I disagree. I hope they put a ton of money into MP4's marketing and treat it like it's a big deal. Make it a big deal. Shove it into the faces of people.
I think Metroid Prime 4 should obviously be one of the big titles Nintendo is promoting through Directs once Nintendo feels ready to reveal the title, but I think a campaign beyond online ads (TV spots, billboards, etc.) would see diminishing returns. If Nintendo spends too much on marketing that Metroid Prime 4 doesn't break even, that would be bad news for the franchise. All it takes is for one glorious flop to put a franchise on ice. Just ask EA and its graveyard of IPs like Mass Effect and Dead Space.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
If they are putting prime trilogy on the switch anyway, that means they are doing it to really try to push it for prime 4, so not sure why they would just shadow drop it on the eshop. Like Bayo 1/2 aren't exactly big sellers, and even just a port of that got a big announcement. I don't think they really care about the budget if they greenlit prime 4 at all.

The Prime games would need more work than Bayonatte 1 and 2 to port since none of them are HD.

Jubenhimer

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 14, 2019

Why not? There's still an audience for games like 1-2 Switch and Labo on the Switch. Plus, Nintendo can afford to take risks on niche projects like these, especially now that the Switch is seeing their best software sales in years.

Status
Not open for further replies.