• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Obama brought the real peace between North Korea and the world all along. What a swerve.
It was actually Clinton in 1994!
dDjw4G6.png

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
North Korea was never going to strike first against the United States and the United States was never going to attack North Korea and risk the destruction of Seoul and who-knows-what-else. You know what is real? Mass starvation, gulags, three generations of punishment, zero freedom of speech or movement. As long as hundreds of thousands if not millions of people suffer under that brutal regime, no world leader deserves praise for helping to prolong the rule of that evil government. Who cares if Trump takes this as a win or not? Those people sure don't. Whatever deal's agreed upon better help them or I'd consider it a failure - I don't think averting a war that'd never happen is a win.

John Fucking Bolton

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
North Korea always does this. A period of brinksmanship is followed by a period of detente until they can't get any more out of detente, and then they push the envelope again.

There's nothing to suggest this is any different.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What if this is all a big misunderstanding on North Korea, and maybe even China's part?

What if NK thought that Trump would respond to North Korea's preemptive peace offer with "fire and fury", descriditing Trump and the US in all future talks on the subject, and justifying criticism of imposed sanctions as North Korea would become increasingly justified in building its arsenal against an insane warmonger?

What if the reason Kim Jong-Un is constantly making the terms better for the US is because he thinks that this time, this time, surely Trump will react like a mad man and bring all of this to an end, but instead Trump keeps on being nice and now Kim is starting to really regret getting this whole discussion started? What if it was just a complete misreading of Trump resulting from a major cultural gap between Trump and North Korea?

Chittagong

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
They just gave a longer statement on CNN, which was crazy.

Kim saying he wants to focus on economic growth, improving relations and opening up to the world now.

This isn't a new development. Well, it would not be if people weren't so busy shitting on me four years ago, when I was in DPRK and posted about it. What is happening now is precisely what they said in 2014 would happen. Back then they were building a new airport, new hotels, teaching venture capital, all in preparation for the time they begin opening up and normalising.

To quote myself

Chittagong said:
Significant change is under way in the country, with more hotels being built and an University of Tourism being planned. I believe the next 10 years will see the country radically transform - good time to start a thread about it.

Melkezadek

Oct 27, 2017
This is going to blow up in Trump's face like how he thought Obama's Iran Deal was going to.

This drastic shift in rhetoric just doesn't feel right. It's overtly suspicious. Playing into Trump's need to look good and I'm sure SK is eager to talk peace at this point regardless.

Hoping for the best, however. Obviously diplomacy is preferred.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
I'm beginning to think that Trump's strategy is working.

Probably haven't been used to such direct language before.

But, if it works .... It works!

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
I'm beginning to think that Trump's strategy is working.

Probably haven't been used to such direct language before.

But, if it works .... It works!

Outside of talking "big", Trump wasn't really doing much that we hadn't already been doing. It's possible the rhetoric worked, but I'm more inclined to believe that it's simply that we continued pressing sanctions, they probably had complications with their program, and South Korea had some good talks.

I honestly have a feeling this had been coming for a long time.

If they were dumb enough to fall for Trump's rhetoric, then dang, they were pretty stupid I guess.

cervanky

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He's a wretched dumbass but it doesn't matter what warmongering schemes he's concocted. The United States would not risk the destruction of Seoul and Tokyo leading to the deaths of tens of millions of people. That isn't naivety, it's geopolitical reality - there's no precedent for a first strike against a nuclear power but there is precedent of decades of mutually assured destruction and the stalemate peace that goes along with it. The United States had plenty of pricks fantasizing about nuking the Soviet Union (and no doubt vice versa) throughout the Cold War, Bolton's cut from the same cloth and as with them, nothing will come of it because the consequence of actually acting would be unimaginable.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
This is like that Jimmy Neutron episode where the egg aliens from the first movie came back and pretended they were good.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
If this all goes well, especially after the meetings, then all this makes sense. NK is now recognized at the international level, is about to meet with a US president for the first time, etc. If all goes well, and they integrate into the rest of the world, it will be infinitely more beneficial for Un and NK than his nukes will ever be.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Dennis Rodman did it guys. Hope when all the Nobel Peace Prize talk starts up his work is not forgotten.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if this was the plan from the start to make Donald Trump look like a world hero. North Korea is in Russia's pocket with uranium right now.

Oct 30, 2017
If this all goes well, especially after the meetings, then all this makes sense. NK is now recognized at the international level, is about to meet with a US president for the first time, etc. If all goes well, and they integrate into the rest of the world, it will be infinitely more beneficial for Un than his nukes will ever be.

The guy who enslaves his country in a way that is unseen anywhere else on earth is now going to integrate into the rest of the world? Their hermit status is precisely the reason why they've been able to brainwash the entire country into not revolting.

I understand this forum is full of mega doves, but how the fuck can people be so naive?

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
If this all goes well, especially after the meetings, then all this makes sense. NK is now recognized at the international level, is about to meet with a US president for the first time, etc. If all goes well, and they integrate into the rest of the world, it will be infinitely more beneficial for Un and NK than his nukes will ever be.

Doesn't opening up to the world put the regime at more risk?

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
I might be looking at it from a different angle but just how rough was that mountain collapse back in October? Could that have been so catastrophic that it forced Kim Jong Un to do a 180?

ReAxion

Oct 26, 2017
the only reason to pursue nukes is to ward off invasion. i think it's been pretty apparent nobody is going to invade them for a bit.

Squiggely

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I get the feeling that the top brass in North Korea fear and sense a revolution coming. They might believe the only way to sedate the populace is by opening the North Korean economy the same way as China in the 70s.

Not a hope it hell it's that. NK protected itself with those missile tests because their neighbors let them. They brought the US to the table doing it.

Japan complained, SK complained. Other places snickered as they knew NK would never do anything other than posture.

NK has won in Trump terms, posturing. They have gained face. Nobody wins anything other than a childish shouting match argument.

Doomsayer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is pretty great if it turns out to be legit.

I'm just laughing at all the conservatives saying "OBAMA COULD HAVE NEVER DONE THIS!" When they were opposed to Obama even meeting with Kim.

Stouffers

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My theory:

Trumps "different" approach to NK caught Un by surprise. He's unable to exploit goodwill negotiations or threaten his way to concessions. He's up against a blunt instrument who doesn't know or care to play the game regardless of the potential consequences.

So, no longer able to bluff, Un has used the Olympics to "extend the olive branch" to SK while saving face with the people/military of NK.

Trump Mr. Magoo'd his way to potential peace with NK.

Avinash117

Oct 25, 2017
The guy who enslaves his country in a way that is unseen anywhere else on earth is now going to integrate into the rest of the world? Their hermit status is precisely the reason why they've been able to brainwash the entire country into not revolting.

I understand this forum is full of mega doves, but how the fuck can people be so naive?

I said before and it can go with anything. People want to believe in bullshit. There must be inspectors with unrestricted access and plus an additional other concessions. Getting rid of sanctions with US soldiers still stationed, legitimizing them and opening them up in the world with the current regime still in place, and them saying they will denuclearize is effectively giving them everything without them losing anything.

Last edited:

chicken_pasta

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Motherfucker with the shitty hair and thicc ties brought peace to the world. Give that mane a yuge Nobel Peace Prize

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
They've said this about three times already.

Trump is probably stupid enough to fall for the gesture and will give into North Korean demands the most.

And yeah, this is probably a result of beneath the table promises from Pompeo or Trump.