• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

devilhawk

Oct 27, 2017
Trumps going to have a major issue with Florida. He's clearly trying to frame himself against the Democrat governors in states with major cases like WA, CA, NY, and LA. He's going to stand up and claim everything is perfect and it is the Democrat governor's fault. He'll get lunatics like Dan Patrick in Texas to follow along. It's just to shift the narrative away from him and to pin the economy on the Democrats.

But Florida, with its Republican governor and rapidly expanding outbreak isn't going to play nicely with Trump's figmental world. So either DeSantis is going to oppose Trump or he is going to allow Florida to go off the cliff.

May 26, 2018
Trumps going to have a major issue with Florida. He's clearly trying to frame himself against the Democrat governors in states with major cases like WA, CA, NY, and LA. He's going to stand up and claim everything is perfect and it is the Democrat governor's fault. He'll get lunatics like Dan Patrick in Texas to follow along. It's just to shift the narrative away from him and to pin the economy on the Democrats.

But Florida, with its Republican governor and rapidly expanding outbreak isn't going to play nicely with Trump's figmental world. So either DeSantis is going to oppose Trump or he is going to allow Florida to go off the cliff.

He'll find a way to make sure Florida is the fault of Democrats. He'll probably say other states got in the way, or something. Democrats not signing bill to help Florida! New York stealing precious facemasks and testkits from Florida! They want people to die!

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

There would be nothing more 2020 than Florida being devastated by an outbreak that Trump made worse every step of the way, then it going red anyway in November.

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
The thing is that GOP governors even in the rural states are going to have problems in their cities, and an overwhelmed healthcare system kills much more than just COVID victims, it increases mortality across the board and triggers a panic response across the community because they can't believe it could happen to them.

Trump's just going to shift blame on the states and the Democrats, it doesn't matter if they are GOP governors or not it's never ever going to be his problem.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
He'll find a way to make sure Florida is the fault of Democrats. He'll probably say other states got in the way, or something. Democrats not signing bill to help Florida! New York stealing precious facemasks and testkits from Florida! They want people to die!

I've already seen right wingers trying to throw that bullshit bill around as PROOF that this is the Democrats fault.

May 26, 2018
The thing is that GOP governors even in the rural states are going to have problems in their cities, and an overwhelmed healthcare system kills much more than just COVID victims, it increases mortality across the board and triggers a panic response across the community because they can't believe it could happen to them.

Trump's just going to shift blame on the states and the Democrats, it doesn't matter if they are GOP governors or not it's never ever going to be his problem.

Trump could have COVID and run around spitting on his base, and they'd believe him when he said they made him do it.

rhindle

Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty clear Trump thinks he's landed on his script for November.

Covid will have played itself out one way or another, the economy will be in the tank, and he will have a grand old time pinning it all on Cuomo, Newsom and the Dems in congress.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
The current assembly restriction in Germany and other methods aren´t as drastic as elsewhere (the situation isn´t in danger of going critical as of now) but 95% of the 1006 people asked believed in the current assembly restriction. Only 3% don´t agree:
www.tagesschau.de

DeutschlandTrend extra: Deutsche finden Versammlungsverbot gut

95 Prozent der Deutschen finden das Versammlungsverbot zur Corona-Prävention richtig, zeigt der DeutschlandTrend extra. Zugleich steigt die Sorge vor einer Ansteckungsgefahr mit dem Virus. Von Ellen Ehni.
Most bread was gone when I went to the Edeka market at 8:05 am but I got what I wanted. Don´t ask me how the shops look during the closing hours and I again only saw one man wear a mask on my mini-trip. You have to stand 1,5 to 2 meters apart at the cash register (tape marking were on the ground) and there was a plastic shield at the business side of the register. The slit where money goes through is pretty large and hands still touch without gloves. No panic mode yet.
Libraries are closed so my profession is on "time out". Still no toilet paper during week 2 of the shopping bonanza. Such bounty is only becoming of the Muad'dib himself. Do not, my friends, become addicted to toilet paper. It will take hold of you, and you will resent its absence! The was a note that more is on the way. We´ll see.

Can´t say that I like what I hear on the US side of it but Trump got to be a "war president", even without Iran (not that the Iran case is closed). You know what they say about war presidents and elections... He is gone fuck this up to the point of standstill, isn´t he.

Last edited:

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
Most bread was gone when I went to the Edeka mark at 8:05 am but I got what I wanted.
My Rewe has been cleaned out for the last two weeks almost. No bread, no pasta, very little canned food, no toilet paper / kitchen rolls / tissues obviously, lots of other empty shelves. Feels like this is really starting to impact my health; my diet is awful on top of not being able to go to the gym.

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
I guess it wasnt enough that my aunt in Puerto Rico is already dead of this virus, but an uncle who lives but five miles away from me was admitted into an ICU facility with respiratory failure while the rest of his family, four teenagers and his eldest children are placed under strict quarantine.

But nah, lets get some speedrun strats going so all the wage slaves can choke to death, kill their families while the elites can sit safely on the sidelines and make bank, because thats the fucking american way.

May 26, 2018
I guess it wasnt enough that my aunt in Puerto Rico is already dead of this virus, but an uncle who lives but five miles away from me was admitted into an ICU facility with respiratory failure while the rest of his family, four teenagers and his eldest children are placed under strict quarantine.

But nah, lets get some speedrun strats going so all the wage slaves can choke to death, kill their families while the elites can sit safely on the sidelines and make bank, because thats the fucking american way.

Jesus man :(

I dunno what to say besides... I'm really deeply sorry... hang in there buddy

there are folks here to talk to

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a test to see if you've had the virus and are immune?

There are currently a couple antibody tests. German Universities tested a couple of them with known infected patients (from PCR testing) and those anti body tests only worked in 33% of cases.
This means: You can trust those tests if they show a positive result, but the chance for a false negative is very high.

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
Even if you disregard the death rate among younger people, there's still a 20% hospitalization rate among all infected.

And is that universal across all age ranges or different amongst all age groups? And if it's different, to what extent? And if to a dramatic extent, what does that tell us about the likely ratio of reported vs unreported cases in those respective age ranges?

Oct 25, 2017
So...

Is California doing it right? Because their numbers are way less per population than other states and they started off as one of the hotbeds...

Naru

May 11, 2019
The Netherlands are not fucking around it seems. Gatherings of more than 3 people are banned until June.

Dutch gov't bans public gatherings until June 1 due to coronavirus

AMSTERDAM — The Dutch government on Monday said it would strengthen an existing ban on public gatherings and extend it until June 1 as the Netherlands grapples…

Prediction: Trump will say "I'm unilaterally lifting restrictions! State of emergency is over!"

Then some dumb people will try to restart business. A ton of people will get sick.

The Chinese and the Democrats will be blamed, simultaneously.
He is going to lift it in most states and just hopes for the best. NY etc. will probably stay locked down. Trump and Corona is like someone trying to cross a highway with 4 lanes... he just closes his eyes and starts running, hoping he makes it through.

Last edited:

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Official german numbers are +4764 for the day but this is including some data from the weekend. Seems actually a bit low (it was +4000 yesterday alone).

Maybe the curve really is starting to slow.

Prophet Steve

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands are not fucking around it seems. Gatherings of more than 3 people are banned until June.

AMSTERDAM — The Dutch government on Monday said it would strengthen an existing ban on public gatherings and extend it until June 1 as the Netherlands grapples…

Yeah, it is rough. I am planning on emigrating for a new job too that starts on that date. Whether that'll be possible is one concern, but it also sucks to arrange things and basically not being able to say goodbye to the people I know.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My Rewe has been cleaned out for the last two weeks almost. No bread, no pasta, very little canned food, no toilet paper / kitchen rolls / tissues obviously, lots of other empty shelves. Feels like this is really starting to impact my health; my diet is awful on top of not being able to go to the gym.

Your diet is horrible because things which aren't really good for you (processed bread and noddles) are missing? Get some bands for home gym which are great (goodgains has recommendations) and you can still buy lots of fruits, veggis and everything else frozen (well here in Hamburg) soo.... I don't know how all those canned food grabbers or noddles only people will live healthy those next weeks. Blows my mind because you can just go shopping once a week and be fine.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017

yep. Good. I think they're handeling it pretty well. But the coming 4 weeks will be crucial in trying to make this work. Hopefully the naieve people get it as well now.

Mar 29, 2018

He is going to lift it in most states and just hopes for the best. NY etc. will probably stay locked down. Trump and Corona is like someone trying to cross a highway with 4 lanes... he just closes his eyes and starts running, hoping he makes it through.
It's difficult because a til-June ban is asking for a huge second wave. They lift the lockdown, people begin mingling again, then BAM one foreigner comes in with the virus and everyone starts getting it again.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So...

Is California doing it right? Because their numbers are way less per population than other states and they started off as one of the hotbeds...

Gatherings were capped at 250 two weeks ago, and then capped to 50 last week. (Both with actual enforcement.)
Schools were closed.
Non-essential businesses were asked to close. Shelter in place order was given.
Many people are just going out and spreading it because they're bored at home, though.

Naru

May 11, 2019
Have they closed non-essential stores and workplaces? If not, they are still running behind.
To some extend.

www.dutchnews.nl

Coronavirus in the Netherlands: new government measures - DutchNews.nl

The Dutch government introduced a raft of new measures to combat coronavirus on March 23. These include: All gatherings to be banned up to June 1, but an exception will be made for funerals and religious ceremonies with fewer than 30 people, if the 1.5 metre rule can be kept. People should...

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Have they closed non-essential stores and workplaces? If not, they are still running behind.
They haven't completely, but a lot of stores have closed themselves and to be frank, most people stay away anyway or follow the SD rule.
It's difficult because a til-June ban is asking for a huge second wave. They lift the lockdown, people begin mingling again, then BAM one foreigner comes in with the virus and everyone starts getting it again.
There is no lockdown, people are free to move, go to work (not preferred), sport and what not: just not in groups and at a distance of 1.5 meters. The June 1st date is also more to give clarity for bigger scale events (festivals, memorials etc. that happen in April/May), because those require multiple meetings, planning and cost alot to cancel. Horeca, schools etc are still banned until April 6th as of now and that ban can be lifted or relaxed (not saying it will) earlier than June 1st. It can also be extended in shorter increments or beyond June 1st. The virus and the extent to how the measures are working is leading for this, of course.

Oct 25, 2017
The testing isn't where it needs to be here in order to really say yet.
Yeah - Totally agree.

Just seems like they are trending better than other states and CA was one of the first with a positive case and probably the first 3 in the country in terms of hot beds.. (NY/WA being the others)

www.91-divoc.com

An interactive visualization of COVID-19 | 91-DIVOC

An interactive, data-forward visualization of COVID-19 data by Prof. Wade at The University of Illinois. Updated daily.

Found these charts super insightful. Has it down by state.

Mar 29, 2018
They haven't completely, but a lot of stores have closed themselves and to be frank, most people stay away anyway or follow the SD rule.

There is no lockdown, people are free to move, go to work (not preferred), sport and what not: just not in groups and at a distance of 1.5 meters. The June 1st date is also more to give clarity for bigger scale events (festivals, memorials etc. that happen in April/May), because those require multiple meetings, planning and cost alot to cancel. Horeca, schools etc are still banned until April 6th as of now and that ban can be lifted or relaxed (not saying it will) earlier than June 1st. It can also be extended in shorter increments or beyond June 1st. The virus and the extent to how the measures are working is leading for this, of course.
Oh, so it's social distancing? That's fair enough. Putting a firm date on it is a good idea wrt larger organisation movements.

Jan 31, 2018
Indonesia reports biggest daily increase in cases

Indonesia on Tuesday confirmed 107 new coronavirus cases, the biggest daily increase to date in the South-east Asian country, bringing the total number of cases to 686, health ministry official Achmad Yurianto said.

Seven more people had died of the disease as of Tuesday, bringing the total number of deaths to 55, he said, adding 30 people had recovered from the virus.

theguardian.com

Jan 31, 2018
South Africa cases rise to 554 as nation prepares for 21-day lockdown

South Africa's confirmed number of coronavirus cases rose to 554 on Tuesday from 402 a day earlier, as businesses raced to make plans for a nationwide lockdown from midnight on Thursday.

President Cyril Ramaphosa announced the 21-day lockdown in an address to the nation on Monday, saying Africa's most advanced economy needed to escalate its response to curb the spread of the outbreak.

South Africa has the highest number of confirmed coronavirus cases in sub-Saharan Africa, and public health experts are worried that the virus could overwhelm the health system if infection rates rise steeply.

theguardian.com