Khamsinvera

Oct 31, 2017
Never heard of them and it's their right to choose their release platform(s)

But that messaging tho ... dang, they couldn't have worded it worse even if they tried hahah! Cringe af

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
After looking at that dev blog post in more detail, I want to believe it's supposed to be really sarcastic. From Rebecca's words, she even refers to it as "humorous". I just don't think it's landing right. (This is in regards to people wanting to boycott the game based on the post's tone - not the EGS concerns).

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
Holy shit, Epic is paying them the minimum they would have gotten on other stores?? Jeez, if it wasn't for the bad public perception around EGS exclusivity at the moment, that would be a no brainer. The biggest stress on Indie devs is making enough money to be able to keep making games after this one, and if releasing exclusively on EGS would do that... hell, I'd do it.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Why are you surprised?

That is the equivalent of
- "Anime was a mistake"
- writing on an enthusiast forum that they or their hobby is weird and other profanities
- saying racist stereotypes to POC

Lighting the fire and watching the house burn while they snicker in the background.
hmm-2-bbeaa7ee9dda50dd445e0007f395fed3.gif

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, Epic is paying them the minimum they would have gotten on other stores?? Jeez, if it wasn't for the bad public perception around EGS exclusivity at the moment, that would be a no brainer. The biggest stress on Indie devs is making enough money to be able to keep making games after this one, and if releasing exclusively on EGS would do that... hell, I'd do it.

These devs did a lot of work on their own to feed that bad public perception around the EGS, that's why we're one 20+ pages.

dreams

Oct 25, 2017
Let's be honest here. Would anybody here have even known about this game if they didn't announce they were going Epic exclusive?
Yes, of course there were loads of people who have known and been excited about this for literal years. I don't know why men always have to act all smug when games that aren't specifically catered towards them are super shocked that people would have an interest in them. Reminds me of dudes on here being surprised that people are looking forward to Animal Crossing as well.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
These devs did a lot of work on their own to feed that bad public perception around the EGS, that's why we're one 20+ pages.
Yeah, I'm of the opinion that blog post was basically pouring gasoline onto the fire. Trying to be funny but it wasn't, came off as condescending. Now here we are with the forum burning.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I do look forward though to having to pay double for a game due to USD currency conversion rates and Australian dollar local taxing on games. But hey, I can't get upset at the shitty nature of Epic because it's "just a launcher" and "Steam was just as badly designed" when it launched despite it being 2019 and Epic being a multi million dollar company.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Small indie devs seem to believe so:

That's actually a fair point: we're in the middle of a massive land grab for gaming content, with Epic, Microsoft (Game Pass, Games with Gold & timed console exclusivity for Xbox), Apple (Apple Arcade), Google (Stadia and now the Play Pass), Sony (PS+ and timed console exclusivity for PlayStation) and Nintendo (timed console exclusivity for Switch) all actively on the hunt for indie games to add to their respective platforms. Add in EA (for Origin Access), Kartridge (timed exclusivity for their store) and occasionally GOG (although I get the impression that the exclusives haven't worked out), plus Twitch (Games with Prime) and Humble (in particular, the Humble Monthly) and that's a whole lot of money floating around.

Is it sustainable? No, exclusives don't sell platforms (marketing does). Is it lucrative for people who can manage to land one of these deals? Hell yes.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Small indie devs seem to believe so:

I can't fault any small indie dev struggling to get by to take an Epic deal. It's pretty much a no-brainer, honestly. Guaranteed monetary success is often better than perhaps less potential long-term monetary success. As long as you're cool about it and straightforward with people who supported you up until that deal (and were likely a big part of what caused that deal to be offered to you in the first place), no one reasonable would complain. They'd be disappointed, perhaps, but I think most supporters would understand as long as you save the condescension and self-righteousness.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
I bet any bad thoughts went right out the window when they heard that proposition. Its not greed necessarily, when you're an indie dev your livelyhood is tied into pretty much every game doing at least okay. If it came down to weathering a storm for a few months but guaranteeing I wouldn't have to go and find another job to keep my kids fed, AND guaranteeing I have the money to make my next game.... I'd do it in a heartbeat. As much as it sucks from a player perspective, as a dev having your number one concerns covered is huge.

I say this BTW as someone who was pretty deadset against this whole thing, until I heard what the actual offer was. All of that plus getting a much higher percentage of the profit makes it a no brainer offer really.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Pretty much.

Republican politicians are going to love the EGS store debate.

No one will be saving the planet anymore, with these deals keep happening.

What if the Ooblets developers are secret Republican shills meant to distract us from climate change and human rights abuses? The cutesy exterior provides a perfect cover to the nefarious doings going on underneath!

This is sarcasm, of course. I'd rather not be called mentally ill for the second time this thread

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
They should cancel Ooblets and donate Epic's money to help stop climate change. It's more important than videogames.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
As soon as I saw this blog post I came racing to Era to see all the salt.

Y'all are gonna be disappointed to find that the majority of devs take the exact same view as the Ooblets devs—which, coincidentally, if someone posted like that in an EGS thread, would probably get them banned for "trolling".

I know you've been banned, but posters that just come to revel in the discontent of others always confuse me. Racing here for the salt seems like a bit much. I just don't get taking pleasure in someone else's feelings about something like this one way or the other and I'll never understand why some of you have to let us know to begin with. Especially on a topic already so vitriolic.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I bet any bad thoughts went right out the window when they heard that proposition. Its not greed necessarily, when you're an indie dev your livelyhood is tied into pretty much every game doing at least okay. If it came down to weathering a storm for a few months but guaranteeing I wouldn't have to go and find another job to keep my kids fed, AND guaranteeing I have the money to make my next game.... I'd do it in a heartbeat. As much as it sucks from a player perspective, as a dev having your number one concerns covered is huge.

I say this BTW as someone who was pretty deadset against this whole thing, until I heard what the actual offer was. All of that plus getting a much higher percentage of the profit makes it a no brainer offer really.

They created most of the storm themselves, completely unnecessary, today.

Still, it's not about devs accepting a good deal. It''s about the tonedeaf blog post, they for some reason saw needed to put up.

XuandeXun

Self-requested ban
Banned
May 16, 2019
I like to help financially support Indies by buying their games, but I'm not made of money so I stick to games that appeal to me.

Epic is doing me a favor by financially supporting certain Indies, so that I don't need to. That frees me up to support other Indies who need the help more. But when Epic interferes with that by throwing their money at Kickstarters that I might already be backing, then that's a shame. I could be supporting a project that needs the help more.

I'm just asking Epic to stick to supporting games that I'd never want to touch. Everyone wins!

And so I'd like to thank Epic for supporting Ooblets.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know you've been banned, but posters that just come to revel in the discontent of others always confuse me. Racing here for the salt seems like a bit much. I just don't get taking pleasure in someone else's feelings about something like this one way or the other and I'll never understand why some of you have to let us know to begin with. Especially on a topic already so vitriolic.

Congratulations, you're probably a decent person. Unfortunately, a lot of people love seeing people they disagree with get "owned" or whatever.

Deleted member 57020

Banned
May 25, 2019
You can make a non-PR statement without alienating and pissing off your audience. In fact, they already did in their email! They really should've just copied that.
It doesn't take much to avoid human rights abuses whataboutism.

Classic priviledged white people, only mention other people's suffering when it's convenient. Isn't making light of human rights abuses hilarious? No, it's actually very offensive and stupid and unnecessary.

So if it's between devs saying nothing and this garbage they should stay quiet.

It's a timed exclusive, from what I understand, so those people can still wait until it goes on Steam and other stores. Also, it is basically two people trying to make a casual farming game. Trying to look for logical holes or interpreting their entire personalities off of this just comes across as bitter.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
I like to help financially support Indies by buying their games, but I'm not made of money so I stick to games that appeal to me.

Epic is doing me a favor by financially supporting certain Indies, so that I don't need to. That frees me up to support other Indies who need the help more. But when Epic interferes with that by throwing their money at Kickstarters that I might already be backing, then that's a shame. I could be supporting a project that needs the help more.

I'm just asking Epic to stick to supporting games that I'd never want to touch. Everyone wins!

And so I'd like to thank Epic for supporting Ooblets.

Lol, I don't buy from their store, but shit, at least you found a positive way to look at it. Good on you.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know, I think everything would've been fine and dandy without that blog post. :lol

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. Absolute silence would've been 10X better to them than that.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
You know, I think everything would've been fine and dandy without that blog post. :lol

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. Absolute silence would've been 10X better to them than that.

People would have still been upset about the EGS deal but the fire would have been the usual size. Some people would have waited for Steam or some other platform.. vs outright deciding they should boycott a developer.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
It's not confusing to me. They want to bait users into getting banned by arguing in bad faith. A big ass list was put together of all the shit arguments people presented in these discussions(which is usually threadmarked within 2 pages, but is MIA), so most of the shit stirrers are stuck with "Lol! love the salt. Buying 10 copies right now ;)"

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017

They probably could have stopped at "This deal provides us with fiscal security in an unfortunately risky industry" before they got to all the other crap.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
  • Epic paying for PC exclusives has become the latest thing Gamers™ have gotten angry about
  • We got some cash money upfront from the deal so we can make the game we always wanted to with fewer compromises.
  • You'll have to install EGS if you wanna buy Ooblets on PC. I know that's asking a lot but I believe in you and your ability to download a free thing and create a user account
giphy.gif

I wish them all of the success.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017

this is all they had to say, coupled with a release date. thats fucking it. its not rocket science.

wlkgkHL.png

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People would have still been upset about the EGS deal but the fire would have been the usual size. Some people would have waited for Steam or some other platform.. vs outright deciding they should boycott a developer.
The fire would've been a LOT less intense than say Shenmue 3 or Metro, as small indie studios like those get a lot more empathy from people. You know these people depend a lot on deals like that to keep going.

This blog post just...fucked a lot of that empathy up. It's never a good idea to alienate a part of your potential customer pool.

Last edited:

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Yeah without the blog post the thread would have looked like this, guaranteed.

You still have the ones taking things a bit too far and people saying the devs will never see their money and so on. But a lot of people are fine with it, buying the game on EGS/console or waiting for the exclusivity to run out to get it on Steam eventually.

Level-headed people understand the need to take that money and I am happy for the few devs that are chosen. But if they decide that this is the way to announce it then I don't wanna have anything to do with them.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017

Well the blog post certainly removed the game from my Steam wishlist! All of the other games I was excited for that went EGS-exclusive are still there, and I will buy them once the exclusivity deal is over.

dreams

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this is what I think too. It would have been so much better, and actual fans of the game who have legitimate grievances could have discussed them in discord without fear of being labeled a toxic gamer. But unfortunately with the blog post, they DID attract people who were never going to buy the game anyway who just flooded the discord and shit everything up, to the point where now if anyone says anything negative at all (including people who simply say that they just didn't like the tone of the blog post but are happy they're getting paid), they're all lumped in together.

I really do hope that after things cool down a bit in a few days they can make another post or something and smooth things over. I have been looking forward to this game for soooo long and I'm still going to get it. I'm just disappointed in how this played out.

Plum

May 31, 2018
It's not confusing to me. They want to bait users into getting banned by arguing in bad faith. A big ass list was put together of all the shit arguements people presented in these discussions(which is usually threadmarked within 2 pages, but is MIA), so most of the shit stirrers are stuck with "Lol! love the salt. Buying 10 copies right now ;)"

My thinking is that if you have to resort to any variation on "why do you care so much about this?" (e.g. the typical 'love the salt' posts, stuff like LeoVGM's 'please stop' post from the last page, etc) then you've lost because, at that point, you're not attacking the argument but the idea that the other person should even have an argument to begin with. I just don't understand how it is that people can't see that.

irradiance

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone know how long this all-out attack on Steam is expected to last? Do they target a specific market share, or how does stuff like this work?

Oct 27, 2017
Let's be honest here. Would anybody here have even known about this game if they didn't announce they were going Epic exclusive?
double fine is really the only reason I paid attention to the game in the first place. same reason I bought/played "kids", "mountain", and have been following "knights and bikes" closely.

edit: what ever happened to last life?

I only clicked on the thread because I recognize the game - I definitely avoid <insert title I don't know/don't care about> is now exclusive to egs threads, and I might even avoid games I do care about going forward after seeing how this one went :o

Sep 14, 2018
It's a timed exclusive, from what I understand, so those people can still wait until it goes on Steam and other stores. Also, it is basically two people trying to make a casual farming game. Trying to look for logical holes or interpreting their entire personalities off of this just comes across as bitter.

I'm not gonna pretend I care about any of this (EGS) so if I came across as "bitter" know it had nothing to do with what this topic is actually about.

Human rights abuses are not a funny punchline anyone should be using for anything, let alone this. I wonder if the author would find them oh so light hearted and zany if he had some first hand experience.

Rationalize whatever you want, whoever wrote this is an idiot.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I mean, their extremely smug and flippant attitude comes across in spades throughout the text in the blog entry and their follow ups in Discord that have been shared here.

Anyone know how long this all-out attack on Steam is expected to last? Do they target a specific market share, or how does stuff like this work?

It will last until it no longer makes sense for Epic to do so. These deals are an absolute steal for them in terms of user acquisition cost. That will of course peter out as they gain more users and see more organic purchases being made on their storefront, but for now, they are ridiculous value for Epic.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
  • Epic paying for PC exclusives has become the latest thing Gamers™ have gotten angry about
  • We got some cash money upfront from the deal so we can make the game we always wanted to with fewer compromises.
  • You'll have to install EGS if you wanna buy Ooblets on PC. I know that's asking a lot but I believe in you and your ability to download a free thing and create a user account

I wish them all of the success.

I swear I've seen people get banned on here for making the same inflammatory/trolly bad faith arguments.
Hiring a PR person would have probably been best for the long term.

Best case scenario, they don't say anything at all.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
It doesn't take much to avoid human rights abuses whataboutism.

Classic priviledged white people, only mention other people's suffering when it's convenient. Isn't making light of human rights abuses hilarious? No, it's actually very offensive and stupid and unnecessary.

So if it's between devs saying nothing and this garbage they should stay quiet.
Absolutely this, as usual straight white people are disgusting, I'm sure they are going to donate that epic money.NOT