• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

disparate

Oct 25, 2017
What a terrible attitude. You hold so much resentment towards anyone who doesn't abide by your moral high ground and think everyone should be punished. You'd rather the game fail and the developer suffer for making such deals, makes me wonder how much you actually enjoy playing the.games.
they're a company selling products, not an orphan out on the hard streets lmao

Oct 25, 2017
What a terrible attitude. You hold so much resentment towards anyone who doesn't abide by your moral high ground and think everyone should be punished. You'd rather the game fail and the developer suffer for making such deals, makes me wonder how much you actually enjoy playing the.games.

Just as players are not entitled to have their favorite game on Steam with all of the bells and whistles, the developers of those games are not entitled to the money of those players.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They should have just said 'sorry for the inconvenience, as a small studio this was a deal we could not refuse. We hope you look forward to our game!'

Chudah

Apr 23, 2019

I don't want them to fail. I just don't want to give them my money. How is it wrong of me to decide where my money goes? Nobody has an obligation to my money other than the bank who has my mortgage and the utility companies who provide my electricity/internet/heat every month (usually billing me AFTER the fact).

Plum

May 31, 2018
I legitimately have no words for this right now.

Holy shit, what are you doing?

My posts clearly explain what I'm "doing." If you think I have some sort of hidden agenda because you can't comprehend the notion that someone (or, more accurately, a 'crazy person) might take offense to being called "crazy," in a derogatory way then that's on you, not me.

That poster shouldn't have to buy a game simply because someone might get "punished" by them not doing so (though in a two-person team like that one I doubt that's going to happen) and the developers aren't entitled to their sale.

Let's be honest here. Would anybody here have even known about this game if they didn't announce they were going Epic exclusive?

I knew about the game because it looked really cute when it was shown at Microsoft's E3 conference and then the PC Gaming Show. This is far from 'hidden'; in terms of indie titles Ooblets was very, very lucky even before it got the EGS deal.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
My posts clearly explain what I'm "doing." If you think I have some sort of hidden agenda because you can't comprehend the notion that someone might take offense to being called "crazy," in a derogatory way then that's on you, not me.

That poster shouldn't have to buy a game simply because someone might get "punished" by them not doing so (though in a two-person team like that one I doubt that's going to happen) and the developers aren't entitled to their sale.

I knew about the game because it looked really cute when it was shown at Microsoft's E3 conference and then the PC Gaming Show. This is far from 'hidden'; in terms of indie titles Ooblets was very, very lucky even before it got the EGS deal.

Please stop.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Let's be honest here. Would anybody here have even known about this game if they didn't announce they were going Epic exclusive?

Absolutely. I was signed up to the mailing list and anticipating it for the last 3 years since it showed up on the PC Games Show at E3.

I got that email, saw their reasons and though "Shame, but good for them to get that money. I'll wait on a Switch port or Steam release" to reading the blog in this thread and downgrading to "Maybe I'll possibly play it on Game Pass if it ever goes there, I guess".

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
damn dude, i'm sorry
Untitled.jpg

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Good for them for getting paid, but did they have to be so smugly shitty about it lmao
Also what is this game? Part Animal Crossing part Viva Pinata? I watched a video but it was just dancing with weird little dudes

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
I think their post was extremely reasonable. Yeah, it had snark. It could have been a little more tactful. But I totally understand why they made the deal. Companies have to work in their best interest. For me, downloading a launcher is not a high barrier to entry.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
Cool, glad they can fund what they want to make. Seems like its been taking a little too long to come to market, so I imagine this was absolutely necessary for them.

That Valve thinks they can just ride this out though is getting funnier and funnier by each announcement.

disparate

Oct 25, 2017
I think their post was extremely reasonable. Yeah, it had snark. It could have been a little more tactful. But I totally understand why they made the deal. Companies have to work in their best interest. For me, downloading a launcher is not a high barrier to entry.
Nobody's suggesting that it's unreasonable to take a bag of cash, they *are* suggesting that this company is contributing to toxicity with a disingenuous representation of people's grievances with the platform they're exclusive to now.

Nov 8, 2017
D*ng I forgot that climate change and human rights abuses existed, better install the epic store I guess. Although I probably can't justify spending money on video games anymore when I could spend it on dealing with climate change.

May 26, 2018
D*ng I forgot that climate change and human rights abuses existed, better install the epic store I guess. Although I probably can't justify spending money on video games anymore when I could spend it on dealing with climate change.

it is kinda weird, isn't it?

"You could bitch about our game, or go help with climate change!"

"Wow, you're right... I actually shouldn't be playing games at all, the real world needs my full attention. Thanks, Ooblet devs!"

Plum

May 31, 2018

Why should I? I'm not the one who decided to call a random stranger "crazy" because they disagreed on the interpretation of a Tweet. Nor am I the person who dismissed real concerns and offence as "an attempt at a gotcha," and then continued to dismiss them with "omg I can't even right now," comments.

If you want me to "stop," then explain yourself in a way better than "when I called you a crazy conspiracy theorist and then doubled down when you mentioned mental illness I didn't actually call you a crazy conspiracy theorist! I called you a conspiracy theorist who was 'distracted with desire' and 'acting to an extreme degree! Please ignore the fact that neither of those interpretations make any sense!"

You should be ashamed of yourself! Using your limited energy to type those words out when you could have been using that energy as a renewable energy source instead? At the very least you should be using your typing abilities to send letters to Trump telling him to stop his various human rights abuses! Anything but this!

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017

This takes woke brands to a whole new level. Don't even buy our shit, go out there and do something for the world!

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Strange, lots of Era users told me that Epic only goes for big indies with big names, not debut projects from unknown people like Ooblets
Mah Ooblets was going to be big and it being on Steam wouldn't have been buried at all. It had a massive following because of its Pokemon like nature but that's been tarnished now due to a short term decision and PR disaster. Who the heck talks to their customers like they own the world and can think for us?

These Epic deals are entirely understandable from an indie point of view because you get minimum guarantee, but the problem is long term. I've spoken about it before but realistically they will fail long term unless Epic really shakes up their launcher and has better discovery and development support. I can't even see what patches come out for games let alone the mess that is the storefront with its webms and disgusting tile layouts.

They've basically killed their game's long term output by taking short term cash injection to help finish the game. It covers just a small amount of what the game could potentially make with no ability to make any further amount until the exclusivity ends. For developers complaining about opportunities and the chance to have their game everywhere they sure like to limit it to one place that is no where near as guaranteed for sales and only offers a simple cash injection bribe.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC

Me? Lots of people? It's honestly probably one of the more anticipated and notorious upcoming indie titles lol. The game's Twitter has 48,100 followers; even games like Remedy's Control or Ubisoft's Gods & Monsters and Beyond Good and Evil 2 only have 11,500, 3,200, and 9,300 followers respectively.

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Phew, I was gonna be upset but then I saw that I should be getting mad about more important things. I clearly cannot have feelings towards more than 1 thing at a time, they know me well.
I've never heard of this game but that post is something else

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Your attitude towards this really shows you don't give a damn, You would rather cheer for egs because you surely don't want to have a conversation which you've constantly avoided.

I don't want devs to go out of business but I am not buying a game from the epic store and refuse to buy any games that they are making exclusives till they are none exclusives and than I might not buy it ever, EGS has already shown that it doesn't care and there's little proof they are doing anything right but it certainly hasn't made gaming better.

Gamers go hard in the paint

I had a bunch of people call me a shill too and some tried to find my house

Fun times
I'm sorry you've had to put up with that bullshit.

Plum

May 31, 2018
This takes woke brands to a whole new level. Don't even buy our shit, go out there and do something for the world!

Funnily enough there's an outdoor wear brand that actually does this (won't name it as to not look like I'm advertising but google it if you want to find out), and it does it in a way that's not inherently hypocritical. Encouraging less consumption isn't a bad thing by itself imo.