Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Responsibility? For what? Having a backbone to tell off assholes who would hound them for their business decision?

For provoking existing and potential customers, and fans, with a snarky and condescending tone in a public blog post, that was absolutely unnecessary of them to resort to.

We've reached this weird point with these kinds of deals where it almost feels like Devs aren't so much making a game for people to buy, but rather are making a game in the hope of 'selling' it to Epic so that they can get their money back and move on to the next project.

This is a gold rush right now, that won't last. Devs knows this.

Ghostswillpass

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The problem with Epic is that Tim Sweeney pitch his store as developer friendly. He keep repeating ad infinitum that 12% is for the best of industry espcially the dev. This very context, of Tim keeping selling his store as developer friendly is what makes the crunch culture in his company even more damned than Rockstar who never claimed as such.

Agreed, that is really annoying claiming that you're for the developers and then treating your workers like crap. They are helping smaller developers though, which places like rockstar aren't doing. So I don't think that doing no good is better than doing some good... if that makes sense.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We've reached this weird point with these kinds of deals where it almost feels like Devs aren't so much making a game for people to buy, but rather are making a game in the hope of 'selling' it to Epic so that they can get their money back and move on to the next project whilst condescending their potential gaming audience.
kind of think of uber, we know its not sustainable, but we take advantage of it. devs are going the same way.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
We've reached this weird point with these kinds of deals where it almost feels like Devs aren't so much making a game for people to buy, but rather are making a game in the hope of 'selling' it to Epic so that they can get their money back and move on to the next project whilst shittalking their potential gaming audience.
In other words, they're expecting to do business and make money off their work?
mild_shock_patrick_stewart_acting.gif

For provoking existing and potential customers, and fans, with a snarky and condescending tone in a public blog post, that was absolutely unnecessary of them to resort to.
"Provoking"
Expressing your opinion and defending your decision is provocation now.

Plum

May 31, 2018
No, it sounds like someone who was offered a life-changing deal that they absolutely had to accept but has also been online in the last year and knew the shit they were about to get and tried to stay ahead of it by being goofy. Whether or not they were successful at that is subjective, but let's not start assuming motives that run counter to what the dev explicitly said because they made some jokes about Video Games.

If they wanted to get ahead of the issue then why didn't they just explain the legitimate reasons for their decision? How does the blog post or any of the things people are 'angry' even imply that's what they wanted to achieve?

Deleted member 4609

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All due respect to the development history of Untitled Goose Game, it is extremely not Shenmue 3.

But we're getting on a bit of a semantic tangent here. I don't believe most people arguing in good faith are saying there are no concerns, simply that the reaction is and has historically been incredibly disproportionate. Their post was simply playing off of that.

There is no tangent, you were simply wrong. The original post pointed out that the issue and the cause of the backlash is the attitude of the blog post, and you tried to piggyback off that to say that it wouldn't have mattered, when that's not true. Here, have another example.

I don't really see an issue with the blog post but I understand it's normal to get bent out of shape for minor things when it comes to devs choosing EGS because money is good and the tradeoff for the consumer is reasonably minor.

For someone who claims to decry all the EGS you sure love entering these threads to take potshots, huh.

Lueken

Dec 15, 2017
Good for the developers. I am a fan of the post, but I can understand from a marketing/PR position how it is divisive.

I am surprised Epic has not created a game subscription service. That is the way the industry is heading. Between exclusive deals/free games/Fortnite content, I think they could present a competitive service.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
We've reached this weird point with these kinds of deals where it almost feels like Devs aren't so much making a game for people to buy, but rather are making a game in the hope of 'selling' it to Epic so that they can get their money back and move on to the next project whilst condescending their potential gaming audience.

It's almost like companies need to make money on the projects they have invested in so the families of the people involved can actually support themselves. Who knew?!?

Nista

Oct 26, 2017
As someone who has been interested in the game ever since I played the demo version a few years back at E3, that blog post did turn me off quite a bit. I was leaning towards the XBONE version anyway, but I guess I'll just wait for it to come to game pass now.

Being snarky at customers never works in your favor unless you're a Japanese male dev on twitter, I swear. o.o

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
I find it amazing the exact thing talked about in their blog post is exactly what's happening here lol

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Had a quick readthrough and although I have a better understanding of the argument against the EGS, it hasn't swayed me.

To me, none of these arguments doesn't actually tell me what I am losing if I use the EGS. The one thing that did bother me was that it wasn't available in China, however, I just searched the web to read about it, and it looks like it is now available there, so yeah, it does seem like some of the information is outdated.
It's not always about what you as a single individual is losing.
For me the games are more expensive on EGS since I usually buy games through key sites that give me discounts, but it's a pretty minor difference. I can pay the usual way without issues and added costs. The store is bare bones but I buy exclusives on other stores than Steam and can live with that, even tho I definitely prefer Steam a lot for multiple reasons (especially Family Sharing!). I use many other stores/launchers and it's okay.

But for others it's not a minor thing. Lots of people can't buy any games since their payment solutions are not supported, and others have to pay extra for the transaction fees of their available payment solutions. Steam and other stores eat that cost and makes it so that these people can buy games. Steam supports all the operating systems, and Valve actually really puts money and time into improving the Linux platform. Regional pricing is all over the place and since the games are exclusive you will have to go by whatever it is in your region on EGS.
Epic have had a whole bunch of severe security issues and while that happens to everyone at some point their response to it has never been good. Their platform is also a much bigger target due to Fortnite and security needs to be of a way higher standard than it is due to it.

So it's not just about me, and not just about them removing my choice. It's about them making it literally impossible for some people to buy some games. And I care about that. Then we add to that the lies and general disingenuous language which you can find info about all over the place and we have something I cannot possibly support.

What you do is up to you, but maybe reading all this makes it less "baffling" that many don't want to support Epic's practices.

Oct 28, 2017
No, it sounds like someone who was offered a life-changing deal that they absolutely had to accept but has also been online in the last year and knew the shit they were about to get and tried to stay ahead of it by being goofy. Whether or not they were successful at that is subjective, but let's not start assuming motives that run counter to what the dev explicitly said because they made some jokes about Video Games.
Then just be honest. No one rational would begrudge anyone being paid life-changing money for their work. There really wasn't a place for goofy here -- especially when their goofy reads like a veiled list of Epic provided bulletpoints. They have alienated people unnecessarily. It's bad business and there was no need for it.

Plum

May 31, 2018
It's a joke.

A silly joke tweet.

Good lord, some of you have let your dislike of Epic turn you irrational.

Why would they suddenly post a random joke tweet that has nothing to do with the game now when they haven't done so since as far as I could be bothered to scroll back to (beginning of December 2018)?

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Responsibility? For what? Having a backbone to tell off assholes who would hound them for their business decision?

In that tone?
Yes!

Jesus christ, what kind of jobs do you people have, where it's deemed acceptable to talk to existing and potential customers in this tone?

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
It's almost like companies need to make money on the projects they have invested in so the families of the people involved can actually support themselves. Who knew?!?

In ancient times, game developers used to sell games for money to people who wanted to play them. Early scrolls say developers used this some of this money to buy commodities like food and energy drinks. Some of the remaining money would be used to fund future game projects.

Plum

May 31, 2018
something something if you aren't seeing it you clearly aren't looking... ;-)

I've read the blog post and their tweets multiple times and, nope, don't see it. Saying it's something different won't convince me, though since you probably think I'm part of the "group think," I'm clearly inherently wrong or something.

Oct 28, 2017
This news is really giving Ooblets some modest exposure, because I never followed nor heard of this game before and now its on my Radar.
Its a win-win situation for the developers, they got a bit of media and a bit of money from the EGS deal.

Now its just a matter of waiting to check if there will be costumers purchasing the game on EGS, especially since we now have a few video game library managers to maintain games across different launchers/storefronts.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Then just be honest. No one rational would begrudge anyone being paid life-changing money for their work. There really wasn't a place for goofy here -- especially when their goofy reads like a veiled list of Epic provided bulletpoints. They have alienated people unnecessarily. It's bad business and there was no need for it.
I feel like raking them over the coals for ... mishandling a delicate PR nightmare or whatever just isn't reasonable. PR shouldn't even be their fuckin job. They don't need me givin em heck for it. They're doing fine imo. People are too sensitive.

I say this as a huge steam fanboy who should be deeply offended by all of their aspersions of my verminous kind. keep on truckin, ooblets devs.
I never followed nor heard of this game before and now its on my Radar.
Samey samey.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Why would they suddenly post a random joke tweet that has nothing to do with the game now when they haven't done so since as far as I could be bothered to scroll back to (beginning of December 2018)?

... Because they're in the news currently for a controversial reason.

It was a joke.

Stop with the conspiracy theories. It makes no sense.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
In that tone?
Yes!

Jesus christ, what kind of jobs do you people have, where it's deemed acceptable to talk to existing and potential customers in this tone?
You can criticize it as bad PR, but they're within their rights to write it however they wish. They aren't responsible or accountable because they pissed some people off. If you don't like it, don't buy their game.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
I was going to buy it on Steam before.

Now I won't ever give the people making this game a single cent.
Going epic exclusive is a shitty move, but who doesn't love bags of money? Can I fault people for wanting bags of money and taking it? I won't fault them even if I'm not gonna support their exclusive deals.
The condescending stuff tho? The brain-dead rhetoric? The entitlement to my money? Nah, not gonna support that at all.
I don't need you, nor do I need your game. You, on the other hand, need my money, because selling your game to customers is your job, it's how you make a living, so either you release it in the store I want to use or I'm simply going to spend my money on something else because there are a multitude of other interesting games coming out every single day while money and time to buy and play them is finite and I'm not gonna use a shitty store just because you think you are owed my money and a purchase.
Well said.

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
Good for the developers. I am a fan of the post, but I can understand from a marketing/PR position how it is divisive.

I am surprised Epic has not created a game subscription service. That is the way the industry is heading. Between exclusive deals/free games/Fortnite content, I think they could present a competitive service.
They cant even add a shopping cart and they update everything manually and you want them to create a subscription system? 🤷‍♂️

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
You can criticize it as bad PR, but they're within their rights to write it however they wish. They aren't responsible or accountable because they pissed some people off. If you don't like it, don't buy their game.

They can write whatever the fuck they want, but when they do, own up to it.

What they did was throwing fuel on a flame on the internet. The response to it was so predictable, and earned.

And as potential customer, who really was interested in their game, I reserve my right to comment on their foolish actions, on a forum designed for discussions, thank you very much.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
People can keep getting pissed off at Epic, but this is a way for smaller devs to ensure their continued survival. Can't fault that.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
who's saying they can't write whatever they wish

Plenty of people are saying they don't like it and won't buy their game

that's what this whole thread is about

im glad it only took you 9 pages to figure it out

Plum

May 31, 2018
I feel like raking them over the coals for ... mishandling a delicate PR nightmare or whatever just isn't reasonable. PR shouldn't even be their fuckin job. They don't need me givin em heck for it. They're doing fine imo. People are too sensitive.

I say this as a huge steam fanboy who should be deeply offended by all of their aspersions of my verminous kind. keep on truckin, ooblets devs.

PR absolutely should be their job because they chose to make a product that demands PR and chose to do it themselves instead of shutting up and getting someone else to do it for them.

This idea that PR is some tertiary thing that doesn't matter is a fundamental misunderstanding of how business, especially public-facing businesses such as video games, work. It just reeks of snobbery in my eyes because you'd never see someone go "but coding shouldn't even be their fucking job!" or "but animation shouldn't even be their fucking job!" if a developer ballsed up their coding or animation.

... Because they're in the news currently for a controversial reason.

It was a joke.

Stop with the conspiracy theories. It makes no sense.

So why isn't their Twitter filled with references to the countless other controversial news stories that have happened over the years? Why only now do they decide to be an "Ooblets + Current affairs" Twitter instead of an "Ooblets" Twitter?

Pointing out very basic diversion tactics ain't a conspiracy theory lol

Dynamite Cop

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California

Samey samey.
Sorry, but accepting a bag of money while at the same time "stickin' it to the entitled gamers" that have been looking forward to their game, yet may not have gotten around to wishlisting it(which is pretty important for smaller devs) is arrogant as fuck. Honestly, this is a red flag that they aren't even confident in their own game, which doesn't surprise me since they've mostly been sharing gifs of characters dancing in place for the past year.

They've also been shopping around for new office space. If you're operating out of an office, PR is a basic company responsibility, really.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I don't blame them for going Epic Exclusive, but I probably won't purchase the game now. I've been following the development of this game pretty closely since it was announced but after this... yeah.

Also the tone of that dev update saying for me to not be upset at it and to be upset at other things, "moving the goal posts" or "there's always a bigger fish"... It's never a good look. I can be upset at more than one thing, and appropriately upset at things based on what they are. Maybe I'll put the money I was going to use to buy it towards MSF.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
This news is really giving Ooblets some modest exposure, because I never followed nor heard of this game before and now its on my Radar.
Its a win-win situation for the developers, they got a bit of media and a bit of money from the EGS deal.

Now its just a matter of waiting to check if there will be costumers purchasing the game on EGS, especially since we now have a few video game library managers to maintain games across different launchers/storefronts.

First things first, that thing about every any publicity is good publicity is not that true. So we will see what will happen.

Second thing is that you can't manage sh*t without all those other launchers installed. You can't install or update games without launching them in their original launchers, you can't see all achievements from launchers, you can't put all your friends on one list... You basically need to have 2 launchers running instead of one with only benefit of having list of your all games at one place.

admataY

Oct 25, 2017
I have never heard of OOblets before today, but they made a new fan with that blog post .
I will buy this game and dance with garden gnomes or whatever you do in OOblets, looks delightful

People should really learn to chill with their whole " They tageted Gamers. GAMERS" insecurity .

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Samey samey.
I think there is a difference between a pr disagreement and a dumpster fire insulting customers.
And customers are well within their right not to shop at that store/place. Developers are not entitled to dictate the wallets of their customers or where their "loyalty" lies.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
So why isn't their Twitter filled with references to the countless other controversial news stories that have happened over the years? Why only now do they decide to be an "Ooblets + Current affairs" Twitter instead of an "Ooblets" Twitter?

Because they are in the news right now. So they are poking fun at it.

You sound crazy with this.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Because they are in the news right now. So they are poking fun at it.

You sound crazy with this.

"I'll try calling them mentally ill! That's a good trick!"

If you're gonna make light of that shit because you don't have any further arguments then I'm not going to bother replying to you any longer.