• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I'm... probably gonna buy this! Game looks stunning and I've always wanted to try it. Now I need Halo and the Outer Wilds in terms of Xbox stuff on switch I wanna try
Great trailer too.
Inb4 Nintendo fans claim Ori as their own mascot.
As if Nintendo of all companies has a shortage of mascots....

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't get very far on the XB1 but the game was stunning and controlled beautifully. Will definitely get it on the Switch, as it suits my play style more these days.

Nov 1, 2017
Oh man i played through and 1000/1000'd the original Ori game. Then the definitive edition came out and i did it all over again. Am i going to triple dip and play through the game for what will probably be my 6th or 7th time? It's looking highly likely.

Anyone with even a vague interest in the Metroidvania genre who has a Switch but hasn't played this game needs to shove it right at the top of their to-do list.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing, we've received sooooooo many mails ever since the Switch released to put it on there, so it was really cool when we brought this up with Microsoft that they actually were open to it instead of just saying straight up no, which is what I kinda would've expected. So Kudos to Phil and crew who allowed us to please Nintendo and Ori fans this way :)

On a personal note, I grew up as a huge Nintendo fan (Like most of us), so it's just really satisfying to finally play a game Moon made on a Nintendo platform. We put in a ton of extra effort to make it run super nicely. The game looks really sweet on the handheld and we launch like a week or so after the Switch Lite releases, so I hope a lot of Switch Lite players will get to play Ori on the go.
I don't post here often but wanted to chime in on the performance concerns based on the stream / trailer captures: This port has been a personal passion project of ours at Moon and we take performance of our games very seriously. We would never release a 30fps game or a choppy broken experience. It took 2000+ builds of the game, man years of optimization, crazy proprietary engine changes and lots of automation to make sure that it's absolutely top notch, and we loved every second of it.

To us Ori on Switch is like a dream come true. I will never forget the feeling when I got to play the Ginso Tree Escape at 60fps on my lap for the first time :)

We couldn't be more excited right now and I personally can't wait for you all to get your hands on it!

I am completely stoked to finally be able to play this!

Crazy thing is, I've owned Ori on Xbox for a few years, but it just got buried by schedules, other games, and it's been on the backlog for far too long. The thing about the Switch is that I have the freedom to play it in short bursts unlike most games I set aside time for on the consoles.

Your clear passion for it is truly getting me hyped!

JTyrmi

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Remember seeing this quite some time ago and didn't even realize that it was an XBox exclusive (on consoles) until now. Well it's not going to be exclusive soon, but anyway.
I might actually pick this up now as it's readily available on a system I own and apparently it's also a great game. I love me some Metroidvanias and similar games.

skysthelimit

Jan 16, 2019
I'm 100% going to get this because it looks beautiful and is so highly regarded. Although I am a bit worried it will be too hard for me :/

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm 100% going to get this because it looks beautiful and is so highly regarded. Although I am a bit worried it will be too hard for me :/
It's a challenging game, but one of the core mechanics is the ability to create a respawn point almost anywhere in the world. Ori is a game almost anyone should be able to play through, despite its difficulty.

skysthelimit

Jan 16, 2019
It's not that hard. It doesn't even have bosses. The most frustrating parts are escape sequences, of which there are only a handful. You'll be ok. It's a good game.
It's a challenging game, but one of the core mechanics is the ability to create a respawn point almost anywhere in the world. Ori is a game almost anyone should be able to play through, despite its difficulty.

Ah great, thanks! I just don't get to play as much as I'd like and am by no means a strong gamer. Really excited to get on this though!

Luke_wal

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but we don't when if it will have them at launch and if it will be a new list that doesn't tie into the existing achievements on PC/XB1.

Wait... Does Cuphead have XBL achievements on Switch? I've been playing it and seeing that it says "achievement unlocked" but I don't remember signing in with my XBL account.

Apr 21, 2018
This announcement makes me very, very happy. I will be there Day 1.

But I can't help but wonder, what is Microsoft's goals here? Cuphead and Ori were the two games I wanted most on X1 and the two games that were actively pulling me to buy one. Now I'm not going to.

So I wonder, are the software sales revenue really worth it for Microsoft? Is it just a good-will thing? Is it to build franchises that they will capitalize on owning?

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
There is really just something so cool about this. It's such an amazing game and i'm happy that a new audience will get to experience it.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
From what I can tell, going through frame-by-frame, that seems to be a trailer editing snafu. The trailer is cutting between 60fps and 30fps footage at various points, but we never actually see the frame rate change mid-scene. 60fps scenes are always a perfect 60fps with no drops. 30fps scenes are always a perfect 30fps with no spikes or frame pacing issues. That would be odd behaviour for an unstable framerate in a game, suggesting that it's video-encoding related instead.

I can confirm that this is the case, and in the indie world video, the encoding messed up the framerate and frame pacing for a lot of games in that line up.

Last edited:

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
And the best part is: NO COMPROMISES!

By now our Moonity Engine is super optimized. 1080p@60fps in docked mode, 720p@60fps in handheld mode. Enjoy buttery smooth Ori that looks exactly like it does on PC / Xbox on your Switch :)

You guys are the best! Congrats on this becoming available to a bigger audience, I will double dip no question. This was one of my games of 2015.

DenverCo

Feb 21, 2019
Denver
Such a great game. This has been the only 2-D game I've beat since.. I don't honestly remember the last 2-D game I actually beat.

LemonLime

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Time to finally see if this is actually decent, or massively overhyped like Hollow Knight. Always thought Ori looked visually stunning at least.

Not sure if it means anything to you but I personally did not enjoy Hollow Knight as much as everyone else but I adore Ori! I can confidently say that you will enjoy Ori!

Jul 26, 2019
The Netherlands
And the best part is: NO COMPROMISES!

By now our Moonity Engine is super optimized. 1080p@60fps in docked mode, 720p@60fps in handheld mode. Enjoy buttery smooth Ori that looks exactly like it does on PC / Xbox on your Switch :)

Sounds like (beautiful Coker) music to my ears!

Fantastic job by you and your team..!
I am extremly happily double dipping come 27th september :)!

And I hope to see some video's the coming days from the showfloor??

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
YES. This and Cuphead were my most wanted Xbox games haha. Waiting for the physical for Cuphead, hopefully this gets one too but I'm in either way.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
Any word on price? I bought it a few weeks ago on PC but I would prefer to play this on Switch

Maybe I can ask for a refund since I haven't played it yet