• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
Siloam Springs
Thoughts and Prayers, and I'll preach gun safety....I think more should have been said after Paul offered up the basics, like "we're going to get the best minds together on this and hopefully you will all forget about this because of my donors." (Sarcasm, I know)

Thoughts and Prayers by a politician that can enact change is less then the basics needed in a situation. Doesn't come across as he is a leader, more of a follower of where his dollars are coming from.

Of course, this is all just my opinion.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
If this was a first time shooting, it would feel like a heartfelt thing to say

But this is a common occurrence and one that republicans brush aside.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Guys I'm pretty sure he means that offering thoughts and prayers to those who have suffered tragedy is right in the sense that it makes them feel better. Especially church folk.

I agree with that much. But considering they use it as an empty gesture and don't do anything else it's ridiculously weak. It should be an added gesture that is accompanied by concrete solutions.

Now I feel really gross with a semi defense of Paul Ryan. Excuse me while I go throw up

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Norman, OK
Yep: https://www.politico.com/interactives/2017/gun-lobbying-spending-in-america-congress/

The gun lobby: See how much your representative gets
share.jpg
PRAISE THE LORD!!! See, kids? Prayer really does work!

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
If prayer is what works why not quit Congress and join the clergy you fucking coward.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Guys I'm pretty sure he means that offering thoughts and prayers to those who have suffered tragedy is right in the sense that it makes them feel better. Especially church folk.

I agree with that much. But considering they use it as an empty gesture and don't do anything else it's ridiculously weak. It should be an added gesture that is accompanied by concrete solutions.

Now I see really gross with a semi defense of Paul Ryan. Excuse me while I go throw up
Why would you do that to yourself.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
All those thoughts and prayers have surely helped stop the increasing curb of gun violence/mass murders, oh wait... I have no issue with people who after tragedies go to prayer and faith as it can help them grieve/find comfort, but having leaders spouting the same bs after every tragedy just to appease their base while they stick their thumbs up their ass doing nothing that would actually help lessen these awful tragedies is sickening and downright disgusting... Not that I expect any less from that slime ball Ryan though.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
As a catholic I concur with this assessment. But remember the Paul's base is evangelicals. You're not getting through to those guys
This is what I was essentially taught as an evangelical growing up too, but the way people are taught can vary wildly depending on denomination and individual church. I suspect Ryan subscribes to the 'If you're good and worthy, you're rewarded with life and lots of wealth.'

Polaroid_64

Oct 25, 2017
Not a religious person but I am all for people praying after tragic events if that is what they want to do.

But you can pray and still work towards a solution. People like Ryan obviously want no solution since the money continues to line their pockets

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
i wonder why god never heals amputees?

he heals all other kinds of internal injuries and ailments, but never amputees

i guess nobody has ever prayed for that, curious..

thinking-face_1f914.png

Paltheos

Oct 25, 2017
I don't particularly object to a man's belief that prayer works. I mean, hell, everyone's welcome to their own beliefs.

I do have a problem though with a man who takes a job that comes with an implicit assumption that legislation, that government are necessary for the people because good intentions from some aren't enough. That's what government fucking is.

I know what this really is though. You don't need to tell me.

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I'm kind of glad there people are so religious, if only because they must realize deep down, or maybe even on their death bead, that they're going to their religion's hell

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City

Now I see really gross with a semi defense of Paul Ryan. Excuse me while I go throw up

I mean...they were in a church when they were killed, you know in direct commune with the lord...

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I mean...they were in a church when they were killed, you know in direct commune with the lord...

I know. I don't think he's trying to say that prayer stops these things from happening. I think he is saying praying is comforting and for a lot of people that's true.

Let me reiterate that I think Paul Ryan is a scumbag and I think he wields religion as a tool to manipulate religious voters. And offering prayers isn't enough, there needs to be solutions including strong gun control.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
God must be taking bribes from the NRA. Everytime I pray for gun control, I get this weird feeling against my temple.

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Prayer works so well that roughly a month after the biggest mass shooting in this country's history, another mass shooting (that took the lives of 26 individuals) occurred. And these two events are within 2 years of another mass shooting in Orlando. That's 3 of the top 5 mass shootings in this country's history occurring over the last two years.

But prayer works...

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Really easy to go "act of God" and "test your faith" and "Gods will" or "their time" when shit happens for religious people rather than actually fucking doing something about in the here and now.

If a god is letting innocent people die who are worshipping him, hey maybe he's not the kind of God to be worshipping in the first place.

Do something productive instead of the nothing prayer does, since you've tried it for the past forever and shootings keep happening, and actually pass tougher laws for gun control you damn sacks of crap in Washington

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who somewhat identifies with a conservative mindset, what a moronic statement from Ryan. You don't have to be part of the republican party to know that prayer can be important, but that doesn't mean you overlook an entire industry because the "correct" thing to do is pray. His solution is to, instead of making legislation that looks to fix the problem, just pray for the country to fix itself. What a joke of a person...

Last edited:

Deleted member 15326

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty vile for someone taking bribes from gun lobbyists to offer nothing but good vibrations to victims of gun violence.

whitehawk

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
A lot of religious people are unfortunately asking for true, real magical miracles to fix the problem.

Maybe, Ryan, by passing gun legislation, you'd be the angel answering Americans prayers.

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
So I guess all those other countries who experience far less gun violence than us must just pray harder. For shame, America!

Carfo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
If there actually is a god then people like Ryan better be heading to the deepest depths of hell after they die.

The way people like him pervert religion, take advantage of unsophisticated religious people, and hide behind religion is disgusting.

Deleted member 6949

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
time_paulryan_20111205_0519.jpg

Paul Ryan should pray for Jesus to come down and help him from looking like a 50 year old 12 year old.

Wrighteous86

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I'm thinking and praying that America starts electing politicians with the will and the ability to start enacting preventative legislation.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
"The wizard in the sky will make everything better guys. We don't have to do shit."