• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hurting Bomb

Oct 28, 2017
OP, if you're still here, an X1X is useless if you have a beefy PC.

XBL on PC is free and cross platform with Xbox on exclusive MP titles, all future exclusives will be available on PC, and if you want the controller experience just buy the Elite and hook it up to your PC when you're gaming.

I just don't see the value in an X1X if you meet the criteria of owning a beefy PC.
- Backwards compatibility.
- Halo if he is a fan or wants to play if he has never done.
- Gamepass.
- The ease of using a console, pick up and play.
- Best versions of 3rd party if playing on console.
- HDR.
- Xbox Live.
- The Xbox Gamepad.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
[QUOTE="Ge0force, post: 8662167, member: 21178"]
I have dozens of old games on GoG and they all just work. And many older games can be improved with community-made HD textures, widescreen support etc, which is not possible on console. Replaying the 20yo Unreal this way is a truly amazing experience! [/QUOTE]

At least half of the older games i bought on Steam didn't work properly. Never got past the first loading screen in GTA IV, game crashed my entire PC every time i booted it up. Had performance issues in Mirror's Edge and Batman Arkham Origins, several Games didn't properly support controllers and so on. I want to fire my games up and just work and that simply isn't the case with PC.

Last edited:

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
I say wait till after E3 and see what's up. Who knows what MS could announce at E3? Maybe they'll announce BC for Win 10... or maybe they'll announce some other feature exclusive to the consoles which gives it better value?

If you want one though, just get it. For the price, you're getting a well designed and powerful machine that's relatively quiet.

I'm more of a PC gamer myself but I own an Xbox One. I'd like to see more features and capability between the two, as well as even more unification of the Dash on the console and the Xbox app on PC.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
At least half of the older games i bought on Steam didn't work properly. Never got past the first loading screen in GTA IV, game crashed my entire PC every time i booted it up. Had performance issues in Mirror's Edge and Batman Arkham Origins, several Games didn't properly support controllers and so on. I want to fire my games up and just work and that simply isn't the case with PC.

I'm sorry to hear you had so many issues. GTA4 crashing is because of GFWL, you need to install the latest version. If you encounter such issues, best thing to do is visit pcgamingwiki, where you can find most solutions and links you need.

Stilton Disco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Really seems like a waste of money. There's barely any games you can't already play, and a good chance those you can't will be made available on PC soon enough. The same money can be spent on an upgrade to your PC (especially with GPU prices falling and the nvidia 1100 series likely dropping soon), that will make it run rings around the XOX.

The only real benefit I could see is if through some bizarre, statistically unlikely chance all your friends chose an XO over a PS4 or PC, and you desperately want to play with them, and even then I'd say you're better off just looking up forums for games you want to play that let you make new friends and team up for online multiplayer games.

Lastly, approaching the end of the generation as we are, I'd wait until E3 to see if MS are going to actually get their act together when it comes to first party games. If not, next gen will likely see them fall even further in sales and market share, while you'll have in invested in an ecosystem for an outdated piece of hardware you'll most likely be leaving behind in just a few short years.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
- Backwards compatibility.
Also on PC, since forever and for way more games. PC also has access to various emulators that allow you to play many games from the past with updated graphics and not just some 360 titles.

Also available on PC. The EA Vault pass thing is also available btw.

- Best versions of 3rd party if playing on console.
PC has the best versions of 3rd party games. You can choose from different resolutions, frame-rates and customize settings to tailor your gaming experience to you needs. Maybe you don't care for 60 fps and wish to dramatically increase viewing distance, shadow quality and to downsample instead. Or maybe you don't care for that and want to play at 1080p/144Hz? Your choice.

Also available on PC. In addition you get access to proper high refresh rates, native 1440p support if you don't want to use all your power for 4k and good working adaptive sync technology for your unlocked 40-60 or 60+ FPS needs

Multiplayer is free on PC, voice chat is easy to do thanks to skype and discrod. There is no need to pay 60€ a year for that on PC. It actually was available many years ago. Nobody used it though, so it went away and nobody is missing it.

Works flawlessly on PC. In addition you get the possibility to use KB&M, tobii eye tracker, customize motions controllers and make them work with various games. You can use flightsticks for games like Elite Dangerous, Arcade Sticks for Fighters, 8+ button mice for MMOs, keyboards with macro functionality, DS4 controllers, Steam controllers and steering wheels.

You see, the thing about PC gaming isn't to check off random bullet points. You can build amachine for your needs and wishes. Want to play games from the past? you can do that and customize your PC for it. Want high refresh rates, a higher resolution but don't want to waste all power on 4k? 1440p displays with adaptive high refresh rates are a thing, even with HDR support. Want 4k/30? Doable. Want 1800p/60? Doable etc. PC has many controller options and ways to customize the input methods to your needs and desires too. You are not locked to one gamepad, you can mix, match and change stuff for every game if you so desire. You can make your PC do everything and to degrees way better then on consoles. The big exceptions are exclusive titles and the big downside is a much higher entry price.
But other then that, I don't want to go console only. It's just to limited and doesn't give me enough options.

Last edited:

Chumley

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Isee is spreading some bullshit here. You can't and could never play Xbox 1 and 360 BC games on a PC, and HDR support on PC's is still frustrating to get working properly at best.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Isee is spreading some bullshit here. You can't and could never play Xbox 1 and 360 BC games on a PC, and HDR support on PC's is still frustrating to get working properly at best.

But you can, just as with every game that was available on PC and on Xbox like Kotor, Jade Empire, Halo 2 etc. I was also not talking about xbox emulation, but about general emulation and about general backward compatibility. There are so many working emulators out there for various consoles and even DOS games can be played today. It's a dream come true.
The only frustrating thing about HDR on PC is that some games want you to change win 10 into HDR mode first before working. Most of them just work out of the box though.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I owned an Xbone, PC and PS4 and I sold my Xbone because I never used it. Only game that I still want to play at certain times are Sunset Overdrive (which may be ported to PC in the future) and Halo MCC.

This is completely subjective and as a PS4 only gamer you miss a lot of good games. But this is true for every console. If you want it all, you need all eco systems.

If you have a PC you have secured yourself all future Microsoft exclusive games, wherever your PC can play them or not is another matter.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If you have a PC you have secured yourself all future Microsoft exclusive games, wherever your PC can play them or not is another matter.
For future games, this is true. Now the question is how much overlap there is between console gaming and PC gaming and yes, that's anyone's best guess based on anecdotal references until there is hard data.

coughlanio

Oct 28, 2017
London, UK
I picked up a One X recently, as a primarily PC gamer, and my motivations were, in ascending order:

• Backwards Compatibility (I picked it up around the time RDR got an X patch).
  • 4K/HDR experience (Bluray disc support, more games support HDR than on PC).
  • Game Pass.
  • The few games that weren't/aren't coming to PC at launch (RDR2, Burnout Paradise).

Deleted member 6733

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Go for it OP, the X is a great piece of kit. Ignore the haters in here. People saying 'X is pointless if you have a PC' either don't know what they're talking about or are just harbouring an unhealthy disliking of anything Xbox. I'm not going to list war, if you're already interested in Xbox you already know what's great about it.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
All gaming is fun and having all consoles and a pc ensures I am covered for whatever experience and mood I'm in.

sleepInsom

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The OP, if he is serious, is an extreme minority. I am assuming that money is no object, because to make 1X his main gaming console despite being a PS4 owner means basically rebuying ALL his games. That is a lot of time and effort.

Really, i would believe him more if he was saying he wanted to play Xbox exclusives. But using it as the main console? For that kind of time and money he might as well upgrade his PC gaming rig.

But hey, some people just have the disposable income for that and I am not going to judge. I personally think it is the wrong time to buy a 1X with the Gen almost over, but that only assumes OP actually care about not wasting money. If he considers it pocket change then he can do what he wants.

Hilarious how jealous and resentful you are over what someone else does with their time and money.

OP, get that Xbox. There may be a lot of crossover in game selection between PC and Xbox, but the experience is different enough that I'd prefer the Xbox version to the PC, or even PS4, in many cases.

Too bad this thread turns into a PC fanboy war.

Ultranist

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I did "jump in" because of RDR in 4K.
I had a gtx 1080 ti but I sold it to a miner and bought a X.
Now I have a PRO, X and a laptop with a geforce 1060 in it.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
What's the difference between 30 FPS on PC vs console? They're the exact same framerate. Also, it's pretty common for console games to not actually run at a stable 30 FPS.

Except I didn't ignore it at all. I specifically stated that he could avoid tinkering with options entirely if he just capped his framerate at 30 in the driver settings. That's a one time change. With a 1070, 6600 and 16 gigs of RAM, he'll have no problems whatsoever getting a rock solid 30 FPS in any PC game. It doesn't get any simpler than that.

That still doesn't make PC gaming as simple as console gaming, which was one of his main points. Even after he changes the driver setting, he still has to account for issues with PC ports, possibly needing to install community made patches, GPU driver issues, navigating Windows with a M&KB from the couch, possibly introducing frame pacing or latency issues when locking to 30fps, etc. PC gaming has come a long way when it comes to convenience, but it's still not as convenient as consoles and that's the crutch of his problem.

To answer the first part of your post, 30fps on PC is not always the same as 30fps on consoles. There have been a number of times where I've read about games experiencing frame pacing issues or additional latency when locked to 30fps. Forza Horizon 3 being a good example.

Also console games actually do a good job holding to 30fps this gen overall. Sure you'll have some games here and there but it's a big improvement over last gen.

BoldAsLove

Oct 28, 2017
FL
If you you have a PC and a PS4, then there's absolutely no point in buying an Xbox. The few exclusives that console does get, every once in a blue moon will be on PC.

EndingE

Nov 8, 2017
I have a fairly decent PC but recently bought a One X pretty much just for the enhanced BC.

Lurcharound

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Unless you're moving off PC gaming or your PC is notably weaker than X1X there's little to gain than access to a handful of games: if your PC is more powerful you've got access to better versions of 99% of the consoles library.

You'd be better adding a Switch if you're planning to use PC much.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If you have a PC, I don't know what you'll miss on Xbox side...
Given you were a 360 gamer, legal access to a certain amount of games immediately you already own, better than ever, for example. For some games even og Xbox.
I mean, do you want to tell me that the Xbox ecosystem has no games over three generations of Xbox?
If you don't know of Xbox exclusives over the last years, I really don't know what to tell you, to be honest.

OP
OP
Norwegian_Imposter

Norwegian_Imposter

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Haha again I don't need one as my specs are good enough and I will be upgrading every year. It's more a sometime I can't be bothered going up to where my pc is as couch gaming is good and its kind of the same deal as giving pc options in the graphics. I have a ps4 Pro but if I know on consoles it could look better I'll want it.

PC Specs
1080ti
7700k i7
32gb ram
M.2 memory

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Haha again I don't need one as my specs are good enough and I will be upgrading every year. It's more a sometime I can't be bothered going up to where my pc is as couch gaming is good and its kind of the same deal as giving pc options in the graphics. I have a ps4 Pro but if I know on consoles it could look better I'll want it.

PC Specs
1080ti
7700k i7
32gb ram
M.2 memory
So you'll be going back to the Sony ecosystem when PS5 launches?

Okada

Nov 8, 2017
I have a top of the line PC but still buy multiplatform games for my X simply because I really like being able to sell my games when I've finished with them. It's very rare that I'll ever replay a single player game once I've finished with it.

It became my primary console mainly because my PS4 Pro is louder than a fighter jet so I only really use it for exclusive games.

Also people often say that couch gaming is fine on a PC these days but it's miles behind a console when it comes to usability with a controller. I got by for a while but it was a headache more often than I'd have liked.

Lux86

Oct 27, 2017

PC Specs
1080ti
7700k i7
32gb ram
M.2 memory

Yeah well, it's up to you considering that your pc is pretty good, but for example a year ago i moved in a new place with my gf and decided to change my case to create a couch config for my pc. This can solve a comfort problem, but i also don't need a desk to play kb/m games (i use a laptop) while someone else would prefer a desk config.
It really depends on a good amount of factors.

Deleted member 25042

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

PC Specs
1080ti
7700k i7
32gb ram
M.2 memory

If you really value the better HDR support, enhanced BC, console ecosystem or just want a 1X for the heck of it then yeah go for it.

But with a PC like that every multiplatform will obviously be better on it.

Switch

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wales
. I own all 3 and don't like PC gaming at all, it's always been console even when so-called PSX exclusives were on the PC back in the day with games like G Poice, Tomb Raider II, III, FF 7, Metal Gear Solid Ect (maybe Saturn users should have said I can play the best PS on the PC in Higher res with 3DFX support lol)
I use my PS4 Pro some of the great In-House games off SONY and my XBox One X for everything else. Unlike whats made out here, The XBox One X system features some great exclusives as well (please don't bring in the PC) and then is the best system for 3d party games. Add in a great Online support, nice Cloud storage that is automatically synched into any XBox console you log into, 4K BluRay Playback, Dolby Atmos support, a great controller great BC support ( Like how any game you bought digitally on older systems like the 360 is added to your download list automatically) the ability to play Panzer Dragoon Orta in 4K is simply amazing. It also a lovely made console that is small and quite to use.
I so happy with both the PS4 and XBox One X tbh.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Personally I think there is too much crossover to bother getting an XB1 if you already have a PS4 and a decent pc. Unless you have a vanilla PS4 and want better performance out of multi-platform titles. Gamepass and backwards compatibility would then be your main reasons.

But you can, just as with every game that was available on PC and on Xbox like Kotor, Jade Empire, Halo 2 etc. I was also not talking about xbox emulation, but about general emulation and about general backward compatibility. There are so many working emulators out there for various consoles and even DOS games can be played today. It's a dream come true.
The only frustrating thing about HDR on PC is that some games want you to change win 10 into HDR mode first before working. Most of them just work out of the box though.

That's a lot of work and you won't be able to play all those Gamepass titles on the pc like The Master Chief Collection or Red Dead Redemption. The pc also seems to have issues with sports titles for Electronic Arts unless they are named FIFA.

Last edited:

Angel DvA

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Given you were a 360 gamer, legal access to a certain amount of games immediately you already own, better than ever, for example. For some games even og Xbox.
I mean, do you want to tell me that the Xbox ecosystem has no games over three generations of Xbox?
If you don't know of Xbox exclusives over the last years, I really don't know what to tell you, to be honest.

BC is cool, I won't deny it, I think it's awesome that Microsoft let us play the game we already bought without putting more $/€ on it ( take notes Sony ) but I'm really too busy playing new games to come back to games I already finished and I'm not saying that Microsoft doesn't have exclusives, I'm saying Microsoft doesn't have exclusives that worth buying a console for.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
It's an amazing console and worth every penny IMO. If you buy it, play your multiplatforms on it. Assuming you have a decent 4K set, the difference is noticeable even against a Pro.

Well maybe if you're nose is almost against the screen, but at a fair distance you will hardly see any difference. 65 inch 4K TV owner by the way.

DannyClash

Oct 25, 2017
If there's anyone else in your house that video games, Xbox and PC is pretty nice as with play anywhere there is the option of cross play co op in upcoming blockbusters

Being able to buy AAA on disk and have equal access across profiles+ game pass shared+ Co op cross play allows for pretty affordable AAA experiences due to PC+ Xbox combo

HDMF76

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ignore all the master race bullshit, I have a PC, PS4 Pro and recently bought a 1X, great console and was worth every penny. I will use it for multiplats and PS4 and PC for exclusives only.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
OP if you already have a PC that you use for gaming you don't need a XB1. Every 1st party MS puts out would be on PC anyway.

Vaizard

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have a great pc and still game more on my x. No hassling with settings is something I value and the spot where my console is located is a more comfy gaming place than sitting behind a desk (yes it is possible to use the same spot). Just a personal preference.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Don't listen to the nay sayers. I have an i7 1080ti PC and I still play more on Xbox One X now. Best console versions, 4K, HDR, Dolby Atmos, comfy couch gaming plus Play Anywhere and Gamepass makes the X an awesome platform.

Vanilla PS4 for Sony exclusives,
Xbox One X for everything else,
PC for everything that plays better with mouse+keyboard, 100+ frames per second or triple screen setup.

Best thing is if there is a Play Anywhere version, PC+X is an awesome combo, no more double dipping just because you want 4K/HDR/Atmos as well as 100+ fps. Synced saves and purchases for PC and consoles is seriously the best thing that has happened in ages for PC+console gamers.

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
It's hilarious how people are trying SO hard to sway the OP from buying an Xbox. Some of these posts... sheesh. Certain people pretending to know about PCs and people getting legitimacy mad that other folks are posting their PC specs and still recommending a 1X for many reasons. It's crazy that there are so many people in here that have to fucking explain why they prefer the Xbox over their beefy PCs, like they're children talking to a parent. The crazy thing is many of these posters don't even have PCs and their histories make it obvious why they're trying so hard, like someone I won't even quote getting awfully mad that someone else has a $1200 PC but still prefers his 1X.

OP, you do you. If you're a true gamer, having all systems is a wonderful feeling and the ecosystem, 4K HDR BR and BC alone are great reasons to own one. E3 is going to be bonkers, too.