• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
I have to share the latest in Clowns Adventures in SSD Woes: What The Holy Fuck Are You Doing, Windows? Edition;

Read that sometimes having faulty devices can impact boot speeds, so I decided to start unplugging stuff.

Tried the RAM, no difference.
Tried the optical drive, no difference.
Tried the Hard Drive...

"no bootable device"

... wait what? The SSD is still plugged in there? WHAT?

Somehow it's using files from the HDD to boot. Files I very deliberately deleted. I know, I should've just formatted the whole thing, well fuck.

Plug the HDD back in and unplug the SSD.

Now it's missing required files needed to boot and is asking me to run a repair.

So somehow, in the first two months I had the SSD, Windows took required files from the SSD after installed Windows 10 to it, and put them on the HDD. But not *all* of them. So now it has to have both to boot.

How the holy fuck did this happen.

Go into disk management and you will see the issue pretty quickly.

iNHHtVM.png

You unfortunately cannot keep any drive plugged in except the system drive when installing Windows or it will put shit everywhere. You probably have boot on one drive and everything else on another one.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Finally got around to backing up all the crap on my PC and also swapped out all the main parts (mobo, CPU, GPU + RAM) + added a new SSD.

Would've liked to test-run it tonight, but alas, the new GPU only has HDMI and Displayport ports. So I'll need to buy an adapter for my DVI monitor.

Still, the new mobo looks sleek. And the GPU is impressively big compared to my old 3GB 1060, but yet everything still fits my old case, and I've got enough power to run it all.

Feels nice overall

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017

iNHHtVM.png

You unfortunately cannot keep any drive plugged in except the system drive when installing Windows or it will put shit everywhere. You probably have boot on one drive and everything else on another one.
If I reinstall the Boot drive with the other unplugged will I still have this problem, or do I need to format the HDD?
So much stuff I'll have to backup/redownload 😩

What's weird is it worked absolutely fine for a month or two and now it's a huge clusterfuck...

edit: does this look bad? two primary partitions..
unknown.png

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
If I reinstall the Boot drive with the other unplugged will I still have this problem, or do I need to format the HDD?
So much stuff I'll have to backup/redownload 😩

What's weird is it worked absolutely fine for a month or two and now it's a huge clusterfuck...

edit: does this look bad? two primary partitions..
unknown.png

Primary Partition is normal, just means that on that specific drive that is the primary partition (it even says that when there is only 1 partition). Everything looks fine except that your UEFI system drive is on your secondary hard drive, which is why you're seeing these issues. You definitely have to reinstall to fix it, and I am not 100% sure but I expect you'll be fine to not wipe the second drive.

You need to unplug the 1tb drive,
reinstall windows on the SSD,
boot into windows ensuring that the second drive is not necessary for boot,
shut down and plug the 1tb back in,
make sure your boot order is correct (the ssd)

I hope with this you will have no ill side effects other than missing 16.7GB from the 1TB drive

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
Primary Partition is normal, just means that on that specific drive that is the primary partition (it even says that when there is only 1 partition). Everything looks fine except that your UEFI system drive is on your secondary hard drive, which is why you're seeing these issues. You definitely have to reinstall to fix it, and I am not 100% sure but I expect you'll be fine to not wipe the second drive.

You need to unplug the 1tb drive,
reinstall windows on the SSD,
boot into windows ensuring that the second drive is not necessary for boot,
shut down and plug the 1tb back in,
make sure your boot order is correct (the ssd)

I hope with this you will have no ill side effects other than missing 16.7GB from the 1TB drive
Thank you for your help! I really do appreciate it, even if everything does ultimately go south! 😄
Getting a bootable USB drive downloaded now 🙏

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looking at Giant Bomb's staff GOTY lists so far there is legit a chance Outer Wilds could take their overall GOTY.

Got it on RPS the other day too (even if they are always kind of vague about ranking their advent calendar). Love the momentum it's having toward the end here.

Disco is my number 1, but Outer Wilds is a very close 2 so glad it's getting love from some outlets.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Thank you for your help! I really do appreciate it, even if everything does ultimately go south! 😄
Getting a bootable USB drive downloaded now 🙏

The secondary drive shouldn't even be touched during the boot other than to power up, no matter what is on it, because everything needed for boot is on the first drive that it checks. But I've never personally tried it so I can't be sure, I'm sure someone knows.

You're welcome! Hope it goes well.

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
I have an itch for JRPG/jrpg-like but people turned me off to FF15. What to do...

I have not played many in a while. Last one was Trails in the sky second chapter (have not finished yet still)...

South park 2 has caught my eye, on origin for 9usd (I think a little cheaper since I have the game pass atm).
World of Final Fantasy caught my eye but my bro said it is not good at all, but that could just be his taste there.

I am probably not making a decision tonight since I am quite sleepy already...

Have you heard about a little game called Dragon Quest XI?

People also like the Saga Scarlet Grace but I haven't played that yet

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's amazing they didn't just take two seconds to think : Hey, maybe this sold way more on the store that had 30 days longer to preorder, had way better offers (free games + edition upgrades), yadda yadda.

There was zero reason to order it on EGS outside of maybe a few regions that had better regional prices there.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
It's amazing they didn't just take two seconds to think : Hey, maybe this sold way more on the store that had 30 days longer to preorder, had way better offers (free games + edition upgrades), yadda yadda.

There was zero reason to order it on EGS outside of maybe a few regions that had better regional prices there.

SuperData info is probably bad, PlayTracker data is bad... but they are all used in reporting like they are facts.

I mean:

Playtracker uses data from MS IIRC since MS also tracks played/started games.

PlayTracker also said that SW Jedi Fallen Order was sold in 300K copies on Steam and that is more-less impossible. Even StamSpy that is off shows between 1 and 2 millions and it can't be that off. But if we take concurrent players and number of reviews we also can see that 300K is low number (based on rough math from concurrent players and number of reviews).

Oct 26, 2017
SWJFO is most likely past 500-600k on Steam, it kept selling for weeks after the official release and it's the best selling game on Steam now, globally.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
Reinstallation of Windows successful.

Now my problem is that the cursor size is wrong and the only options are to make it too large or too small. Damnit.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have an itch for JRPG/jrpg-like but people turned me off to FF15. What to do...

I have not played many in a while. Last one was Trails in the sky second chapter (have not finished yet still)...

South park 2 has caught my eye, on origin for 9usd (I think a little cheaper since I have the game pass atm).
World of Final Fantasy caught my eye but my bro said it is not good at all, but that could just be his taste there.

I am probably not making a decision tonight since I am quite sleepy already...
Scarlet Grace is the best RPG that has been made in Japan of the decade.
However, depending of what you expect in a JRPG, this might not be the game for you. It's a game with a fantastic combat system and the best music in the business, with cute stories, interesting and open side-quests, and no exploration whatsoever.

deltabreak

Oct 29, 2017
There should be an indicator on a game's page in the library or a warning if a game doesn't use cloud save. I mean who wouldn't expect Subnautica to have cloud saves, only to find out after you reinstall Windows that it doesn't and you just lost a save of 30 hrs

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
While we're talking about GPUs, how's it going with CPU? I think Intel's got delayed until... sometime, whereas AMD won't be out next year? My computer is like 10 years old by now, so I was considering getting a full upgrade and had hoped to jump on the new "standard" that would last a long time (not sure if that makes sense, but I remember people saying Intel's would be the mainstay just like some of their old ones lasted... but it got delayed, so...). Gah, it's late and I don't remember all the fluff, so bear with me >_<'''
On the one hand, third gen Ryzen is very good, with single core performance bearing Intel for noticeably less money. On the other hand, AMD has been pretty reliable in getting another gen of Ryzen out each year. If your ambition is to build a new gaming PC to ride out the majority of the new gen of consoles, I'd probably wait for fourth gen Ryzen and specifically get the 4700. That should get you a CPU that's better than what the consoles ship with. Oh, and invest in a bunch of SSDs. I suspect games are going to start assuming they're installed in SSDs in the near future.

Alternatively, AMD is selling slightly worse binned 2600 chips as 1600s for $85 on Amazon US. If you want a bargain bucket PC while you save up for your Big Rig, that'll probably be the way to go.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Higurashi is real good. Jumped into part 2 today after finishing the first.
But oh my gosh does it irk me when it goes hard into the depths of anime subcultures.
Can't one of these just be wholesome through and through D:

Last edited:

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
Are the witcher 3 dlcs worth to play now? I've played base game when it released but never bother to resume playing when the dlcs launched.
Have they done anything to make the combat better? Cause I found it extremely unsatisfying.
Yes, the DLCs are amazing. The Hearts of Stone story is better than the main quest, and Touissant is such an incredible setting.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
so I must have missed it as I admit to have skipped most of the ARR cutscenes except the big ones, but didnt Alphi have a twin sister? Did she die in the secret base raid when they captured Milfilia or something? It's been bugging me for ages.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I imagine this might've been answered before here, so I'll search for it more later (findings outside ERA gave me mixed results).

Would you say Catherine Classic is a good game to play? It's one I've already had my eyes on since its original release, but now we have the Full Body version as well. I have no idea if it'll release on PC later, but if it does, would you say it's worth waiting for it? Or is this, to my understanding, semi-remake so different in how it shakes things up that it's essentially a new experience (with some common plot points)? I can't seem to grasp to what extent Full Body changes things, especially as I want to stay spoiler free.

Unfortunately, I've also heard that Full Body handles some of the new things... poorly, though I'll admit I haven't heard much about it since release.
I don't know much about the new Catherine Full Body, but yes absolutely the original is well worth playing especially if you like some fast paced puzzle action. It was one of the most memorable games of the console gen for me.

Cindered

Oct 25, 2017
but what happened to her? Like I remember her and Alphi in some restaurant or bar or whatever it was, then I completely lost track of her, it was so weird.
Iirc, they got in to a disagreement and went their separate ways to do their own things. If you do the Binding Coil of Bahamut raid chain she's featured prominently there. Only problem is you can't really duty finder those raids.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Fun fact i actually can't buy Anno 1800 for my friend as a gift because game is exclusive to 2 stores that don't have option to buy it as a gift or even to redeem wallet code so friend can buy it for himself.

Oct 25, 2017
Shopping for future me is not easy. I am not sure what I will want to play in a month or two. I already got several games, some very lengthy, that I want to play currently. And last night all I played was hearthstone...

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Shopping for future me is not easy. I am not sure what I will want to play in a month or two. I already got several games, some very lengthy, that I want to play currently. And last night all I played was hearthstone...

This the point where I stopped snapping up deals left and right during holiday sales 'cause the prices were too good to be true.

I've long since learned that any purchase I make today only to save for a rainy day sometime down the line has like a 50% 10% chance of ever being installed.

Hell, I've pre-ordered hotly-anticipated games way out only to find myself not really in the mood at all when they finally drop months later.

Now I only purchase title I know I'm eager to fire up, like right NOW.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Euro Truck 2 is actually less chill than I thought it would be. I have to make sure I don't...you know, crash. Just had my first drive through a storm, which was pretty relaxing though. I'm going to get through my podcast backlog easily with this game.

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
Think I will drop Path of Exile again. Arrived in Act 4 and still run around with loot I found in act 2. Maybe when I get to it a third time and don't play a Shadow with magic attacks I will stick longer.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are the witcher 3 dlcs worth to play now? I've played base game when it released but never bother to resume playing when the dlcs launched.
Have they done anything to make the combat better? Cause I found it extremely unsatisfying.

I would say that yes, they improved the combat.

There are two main issues with the combat. 1) the combat before you unlock a lot of skills/signs is pretty bland, and 2) the encounter design is uninteresting.

For the DLC, you are sufficiently advanced that you have a larger combat moveset, plus you have access to more powerful signs that you can integrate into combat. The encounters you'll face in the DLC include more varied types of units. You'll face groups of men with spears, and with shields, and archers, forcing you to move across the battlefield while dodging and casting signs to deal with mid, short, and long-range foes. Some will need to be staggered, some will be tanks, others quick.

The DLCs also introduce boars and spiders, with erratic movesets that require greater dexterity and movement to counter.

Plus there seems to be a lot more thought put into the environment where you encounter these foes. Archers will be positioned in a manner that is intelligent to support the other enemies, instead of out in the open, boars will run about forested areas where trees will obstruct your abilities, etc.

You'll also face some special bosses that require new tactics to face, with unique attack mechanics.

I think the base of the combat was actually okay, but dumping you on a flat field with four bandits was uninspired. The DLCs remedied this by carefully designing the encounters and environments to compliment each other, plus adding enemies that you can't button-mash to death.

I have to share the latest in Clowns Adventures in SSD Woes: What The Holy Fuck Are You Doing, Windows? Edition;

Read that sometimes having faulty devices can impact boot speeds, so I decided to start unplugging stuff.

Tried the RAM, no difference.
Tried the optical drive, no difference.
Tried the Hard Drive...

"no bootable device"

... wait what? The SSD is still plugged in there? WHAT?

Somehow it's using files from the HDD to boot. Files I very deliberately deleted. I know, I should've just formatted the whole thing, well fuck.

Plug the HDD back in and unplug the SSD.

Now it's missing required files needed to boot and is asking me to run a repair.

So somehow, in the first two months I had the SSD, Windows took required files from the SSD after installed Windows 10 to it, and put them on the HDD. But not *all* of them. So now it has to have both to boot.

How the holy fuck did this happen.

Yeeeaahhh, this happened to me. If you have Windows on a drive, then get a new drive and do a new installation of Windows, it will use files off the old drive to do it. edit: technically it uses the boot partition.

So from now on, I always make sure if I'm installing windows, all other drives are disconnected.

This seems like a common issue, I have no idea why MS designed it that way.

Last edited:

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

iNHHtVM.png

Windows doesn't install onto every drive. What happened is that you had a previous installation of Windows on your drive, so when you go to install on your new SSD, windows doesn't bother with making a boot partition because it already finds one.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
It was leaked for the first choice bundle, but I guess they changed it after the leak and it will be in the next one.

Or like Thumper, will never appear.

2 left!

Windows doesn't install onto every drive. What happened is that you had a previous installation of Windows on your drive, so when you go to install on your new SSD, windows doesn't bother with making a boot partition because it already finds one.

Windows definitely can choose random drive to install boot partition on. For me it has even chosen to make HDD boot when I have Windows Installed to SSD.

Status
Not open for further replies.