• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
How is the game? I played about half an hour in free roam (no missions) on a friend's PS4 and it felt really boring compared to something like GTA V.
Storytelling is fantastic, with the second half and the ending especially being incredibly strong. That said, mission design is lackluster, but the world is a joy to explore with tons of secrets to find. The controls in the console version were very laggy, which should be mitigated by the higher framerate in the PC version, as well as any mods explicitly aimed at improving player character responsiveness.

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
Are there AddOns or DLC announced for The Outer Worlds? Currently watching the Giant Bomb Quick Look for it and liking what I see. Because I am thinking of either playing it early through Gamepass or wait until next year or so for a possible complete edition.

Kilbane65

Oct 27, 2017
Hey BlueOdin your Avatar looks so punchable :P

Do you guys think Bloodlines 2 will have the usual Paradox DLC shenanigans, or will it be similar to PoE with actual expansions?

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I think we should make the "tries to do something normal but fails and dies of a heart attack" a meme

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Alright.

I "fixed" my GPU heating problem. Apparently for years GPUs have problems with multi monitor setups. I have 3 screens (2 monitors, one TV) and saw that the gpu clock speeds are at full when all 3 are connected. Idle should be at around 135Mhz, but they were at 1125MHZ. So when I disabled the other screens, it went back to the idle clock speed.
Apparently Nvidia fixed that "bug" (they dont even call it a bug) with dual monitors, but not a triple monitor setup...

Now the question is how can I quickly enable/disable the other screens?
I can do it in the NvidiaSettings, but I would rather just click a button or have some *.exe instead of doing that every time I want to play something or use Kodi or work.

Edit: I am dumb and forgot about Win+P. Thanks Parsnip

Last edited:

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I was gonna make a thread about this but I figured it'd probably just devolve into the usual EGS banter. I was just wondering how the sales have been going for indie devs on the store. Actual indie devs, not superstar ones like Supergiant but Bigben (Sinking City), AOne Games (Omen of Sorrow) or Zen Studios (Operencia: The Stolen Sun). For someone like Zen Studios all I can see is they released it, EGS didn't even promote it, it got buried and now all I can see is their recent work has been on DLC for their Williams Pinball games with literally no word on Operencia performance. Their forums actually have more questions about gamepass PC then EGS even.

The same can be said for Omen of Sorrow, AOne Games has gone absolutely radio silent since June 20th when the game launched. There is literally zero presence on their social platforms. Bigben is a bit different in that they have Sherlock Holmes as well to help their presence, but in regards to Sinking City nothing has been said about how well it is doing since launch, not even a "sales have been great" kind of post. Obviously they are unique in that they are also battling resubmitting their titles because Focus Home Interactive went all bullshit on them and wouldn't give content or title IDs back which is super scummy but off topic.

My point is, how well is EGS actually helping indie titles? Are their sales actually significantly enough to cover the contract cost of exclusivity, one that doesn't guarantee your own sale revenue until the point of payout has been reached? My opinion on this is no, it isn't helping. At least, not with the current layout design of the store that actively punishes non-AAA titles by pushing them further down a list of ever-growing titles that mix in with those that are free, those that are for pre-order and those that aren't even available yet but have an icon to distract you. Epic aren't actually, from my point of view, helping indies at this time and simply using them as PR power for the marketshare battle. To me that's just plain disgusting when these companies are so fragile already that they go for the sweet words of Epic's tall tales and get no real juice in return.

Of course, exclusivity is still exclusivity and it has the benefit of paying bills that they may have otherwise never been able to pay. For that I'm actually grateful because there are some absolute gems hidden in the store that I want to play, and knowing that they have at least some short term profit to keep going until maybe a non-EGS release is good. However, the obvious wart on the nose is that at the end of the day competition is competition, and even EGS is now prone to it despite Tim's battle cry of justice to PC markets.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Omen of Sorrow is a weird one to wonder about. It's a late port of a game with like a 50 metacritic. Here's how EGS helped them: They probably financed their next game with the port of a game that was never going to sell anyway.

That's what a lot of these devs taking the deals are. Multiplatform devs that are unsure they'll sell any copies on PC (or hell, at all), and are taking the safe bet.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was fairly obvious anything on the Epic Store was taking a big hit in sales numbers, and it clearly wouldn't be worth being on there exclusively without the money up front by Epic.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I was gonna make a thread about this but I figured it'd probably just devolve into the usual EGS banter. I was just wondering how the sales have been going for indie devs on the store. Actual indie devs, not superstar ones like Supergiant but Bigben (Sinking City), AOne Games (Omen of Sorrow) or Zen Studios (Operencia: The Stolen Sun). For someone like Zen Studios all I can see is they released it, EGS didn't even promote it, it got buried and now all I can see is their recent work has been on DLC for their Williams Pinball games with literally no word on Operencia performance. Their forums actually have more questions about gamepass PC then EGS even.

The same can be said for Omen of Sorrow, AOne Games has gone absolutely radio silent since June 20th when the game launched. There is literally zero presence on their social platforms. Bigben is a bit different in that they have Sherlock Holmes as well to help their presence, but in regards to Sinking City nothing has been said about how well it is doing since launch, not even a "sales have been great" kind of post. Obviously they are unique in that they are also battling resubmitting their titles because Focus Home Interactive went all bullshit on them and wouldn't give content or title IDs back which is super scummy but off topic.

My point is, how well is EGS actually helping indie titles? Are their sales actually significantly enough to cover the contract cost of exclusivity, one that doesn't guarantee your own sale revenue until the point of payout has been reached? My opinion on this is no, it isn't helping. At least, not with the current layout design of the store that actively punishes non-AAA titles by pushing them further down a list of ever-growing titles that mix in with those that are free, those that are for pre-order and those that aren't even available yet but have an icon to distract you. Epic aren't actually, from my point of view, helping indies at this time and simply using them as PR power for the marketshare battle. To me that's just plain disgusting when these companies are so fragile already that they go for the sweet words of Epic's tall tales and get no real juice in return.

Of course, exclusivity is still exclusivity and it has the benefit of paying bills that they may have otherwise never been able to pay. For that I'm actually grateful because there are some absolute gems hidden in the store that I want to play, and knowing that they have at least some short term profit to keep going until maybe a non-EGS release is good. However, the obvious wart on the nose is that at the end of the day competition is competition, and even EGS is now prone to it despite Tim's battle cry of justice to PC markets.
You're asking about non superstar indies, and that's a bleak landscape for the vast majority of those devs. Visibility is a problem on every platform, PC or console or mobile, and any bad early reviews can sink them. The stores all profit from unit 1 of all those games, but the dev has to recover their costs first. I'm sure those devs have a lot more data to draw upon than you or I do about the projected Steam or EGS sales of their game, and they know their own risk profile better than we do, so if they choose to get paid for EGS exclusivity rather than rolling the dice on breaking out that's their call. If they earn enough to be able to make their next game and possibly hiring more people in the process, instead of going out of business after crappy sales, that to me is not "disgusting".

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
store.steampowered.com

Autonauts on Steam

In Autonauts you must build, create, and automate. Start by establishing a colony, crafting bots and teaching them via Scratch-style programming to build an ever evolving autonomous paradise of agriculture, industry and enlightenment.

Good gravy Autonauts is aggressively upbeat. Haven't seen a game this unabashedly happy in quite some time.

It's quite refreshing.

Seems pretty deep too with tons of craftables coupled with the interesting gameplay twist of bot automation via simple programming commands.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017

It's a good question and considering that Supergiant says one of the reasons they went EGS was because they expected to have less sales than on Steam. It allows them to have a smaller, tighter community while they work through beta issues and recommendations.

But if they expected smaller sales and then a full release on Steam, why else would less visible indies go to EGS? It must be the money, and I get that. That guaranteed chunk of money allows them to guarantee their studio can stay open and make the game as good as it can be.

Obviously I'm discounting the whole visibility thing, but I think it's a lesser concern.

I'm curious if the contract with EGS doesn't allow the devs to make disparaging comments while the exclusivity contract exists. Devs also likely don't want to talk about a mistake they made by going EGS. Or maybe it really is all good with all of them because the cash injection EGS gave them was good for them no matter the (possible) negatives.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
store.steampowered.com

Autonauts on Steam

In Autonauts you must build, create, and automate. Start by establishing a colony, crafting bots and teaching them via Scratch-style programming to build an ever evolving autonomous paradise of agriculture, industry and enlightenment.

Good gravy Autonauts is aggressively upbeat. Haven't seen a game this unabashedly happy in quite some time.

It's quite refreshing.

Seems pretty deep too with tons of craftables coupled with the interesting gameplay twist of bot automation via simple programming commands.

I'll let you take the lead, Aaron. It looks perfectly in line with something I'd like to play, but no time to do so!

grosvenor92

Dec 2, 2017
Hey Era I downloaded State of Decay 2 on game pass, started playing it and ran into a weird texture issue. Here's an example from someone who had the same issue I found on the steam forums

Currently updating my driver to see if that fixes the issues but has anyone else encountered this and found a solution

I was playing Dying Light earlier and didn't run into any issues so I don't think it's my graphics card

Deleted member 27751

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
You're asking about non superstar indies, and that's a bleak landscape for the vast majority of those devs. Visibility is a problem on every platform, PC or console or mobile, and any bad early reviews can sink them. The stores all profit from unit 1 of all those games, but the dev has to recover their costs first. I'm sure those devs have a lot more data to draw upon than you or I do about the projected Steam or EGS sales of their game, and they know their own risk profile better than we do, so if they choose to get paid for EGS exclusivity rather than rolling the dice on breaking out that's their call. If they earn enough to be able to make their next game and possibly hiring more people in the process, instead of going out of business after crappy sales, that to me is not "disgusting".
Oh my use of the word disgusting was on Tim Sweeney's consistent messaging that they care for indies. Yet the lack of actual features to help drive sales to those who are currently buried is showing me they don't actually care about indies and like I believe it is just a pure PR usage for their exclusivity. At the end of the day though, I will always agree that indies getting paid a guarantee in order to keep lights on is far more comfortable than the opposite, I just do not agree on the EGS tactics as a whole, especially the store's very serious UI problems.

I actually had just that discussion with a friend (dev from Think of the Children) who said he'd be more than happy to take exclusivity if it meant surviving, but the messaging is what would be most important to why such an action is taken. Though even he said at this moment while it would be nice to have that money there is no guarantee future sales would exist in the current EGS form.

It's a good question and considering that Supergiant says one of the reasons they went EGS was because they expected to have less sales than on Steam. It allows them to have a smaller, tighter community while they work through beta issues and recommendations.

But if they expected smaller sales and then a full release on Steam, why else would less visible indies go to EGS? It must be the money, and I get that. That guaranteed chunk of money allows them to guarantee their studio can stay open and make the game as good as it can be.

Obviously I'm discounting the whole visibility thing, but I think it's a lesser concern.

I'm curious if the contract with EGS doesn't allow the devs to make disparaging comments while the exclusivity contract exists. Devs also likely don't want to talk about a mistake they made by going EGS. Or maybe it really is all good with all of them because the cash injection EGS gave them was good for them no matter the (possible) negatives.
That's where my overall feelings are with it, that clearly with such stark radio silence on the topic that obviously even if negative - in that sales are not meeting Epic's exclusivity guarantee - the paycheck is enough to cover costs until they open up to all storefronts. Like I mentioned just above in the reply to Sheep, my main concern is with the nature of Epic around how they use indies for PR battles and that this lack of care is potentially causing what could be good sales runs to basically die due to the swift burial. I mean there are titles like Cardpocalypse that released with literally zero awareness that even did so, I feel terrible for the devs who despite the exclusivity got nothing because of that store design.

I know Epic doesn't want the "fluff" of Steam because it apparently causes games to be buried but at least the algorithm tries to show me games that release, whereas Epic's approach is just put it out and hope someone sees it/was following the dev's Twitter. This is also not even considering whether exclusivity cheques are still a thing, as we haven't heard about them for a bit and I wonder whether devs are just being enticed over with it being a smaller store catalogue still.

Again though, like you said garion, we only know what we see whereas developers have a much more on-pulse view so obviously if it is working it is working and so be it. I personally would still prefer the option of Epic competing in pricing thanks to dev share rather than exclusivity but that's just me.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
It's been a while since Doom 2016, but I think the recent retro-shooters Dusk & Amid Evil move even faster if you can believe it.
Yep. I thought DOOM 2016 had such fast, old school movement and I wasn't expecting any other game to top it.

Then DUSK came along and now DOOM 2016 feels like I'm playing in slow mo.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019

BigBen is a publisher; Frogwares are the developer.
BigBen'll be fine, they also got some cash from Epic for Paranoia and a bunch of other games that are coming to EGS first.

I mean, they clearly had money to buy Spiders this year; I'm sure they wouldn't be doing that if they money situation wasn't good, since Spiders just finished a game and it'll probably be another 3 years before they release their next title.

Other noticeable indies that are keeping their heads down would be the makers of Outer Wilds and Closer to the Sun- the games are starting to get trailers fro console releases now, but for a while they were totally quiet.

Deleted member 27751

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Todd strikes again. Insert *don't believe his lies* music video.

BigBen is a publisher; Frogwares are the developer.
BigBen'll be fine, they also got some cash from Epic for Paranoia and a bunch of other games that are coming to EGS first.

I mean, they clearly had money to buy Spiders this year; I'm sure they wouldn't be doing that if they money situation wasn't good, since Spiders just finished a game and it'll probably be another 3 years before they release their next title.

Other noticeable indies that are keeping their heads down would be the makers of Outer Wilds and Closer to the Sun- the games are starting to get trailers fro console releases now, but for a while they were totally quiet.
I was even Googling Frogwares when I was writing up the post -_- I will say radio silence isn't always a bad thing, I don't expect every dev to give input into how they are tracking or if they even can. I'm just more interested in the conversation around actual indie performance because those are the ones that are going to be most in need of EGS' dev share cut but also the apparent better spotlighting that Epic touts about constantly. I have yet to really see that spotlight effect and would actually argue Steam's algorithm does a better job at getting games across but that is just my opinion personally.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
How much is Game Pass PC per month? I know there's an introductory price but I'm not sure if it's still available.

Last edited:

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
store.steampowered.com

Autonauts on Steam

It's quite refreshing.

Have you played wandersong? It is happy even when it is kinda blue

Loved the trailer music of this one xD

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
I got another reply from Ubisoft support stating that I indeed won't be granted a refund for uPlay Plus, because I've apparently ticked a box that "renounces your usual right to a refund for residents within the EU"... 😒 They also let me know that I need to cancel the subscription on my own and that the support can't do it for me. The problem is; it's seemingly impossible on mobile. I'll have to wait until I have access to my PC again.

Then, 30 minutes later I received an email saying "Your refund request has been granted"... but no money has been refunded so far.

I'm at a complete loss. What are they doing

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
On Chapter 3 of The Evil Within 1 and man, this is not doing it for me. RE4 is one of my favorite games of all time, but this just feels like a knockoff of it with tedious stealth mechanics, worse level design and pacing, and too many one-hit kills. Does it get better from here?

Oct 25, 2017
1) Didn't expect Slay the Spire, of all games, to have so much issues with recognizing a controller properly
2) Wooooooooooowwwwww I suck at this game

Hassansan

Oct 27, 2017
We don't have an OT so am gonna let out a lil bit here.
Got the new Digimon Collection on Steam and it pisses me off to no end, I forgot how annoying it is to go through the first game because the core game is fun but it just surrounded by a lot of weird design decisions that drag the whole package down.

- The game has one of those difficulty options where there's no middle ground, either too easy or too hard (one of my top 3 gaming pet peeves), you either blow through everything so fast or the whole package slows down to annoying degrees.
- Then you have the story stuff, it's not only boring, but this is their third re-release and we still can't skip stuff and boy oh boy ... the game is filled with dialogue and story beats that are too long and too basic.

The monster catching, raising, and core combat are great but they need to be in a better game tbh.

Last edited:

Equirah

Oct 25, 2017
We don't have an OT so am gonna let out a lil bit here.
Got the new Digimon Collection on Steam and it pisses me off to no end, I forgot how annoying it is to go through the first game because the core game is fun but it just surrounded by a lot of weird design decisions that drag the whole package down.

- The game has one of those difficulty options where there's no middle ground, either too easy or too hard (one of my top 3 gaming pet peeves), you either blow through everything so fast or the whole package slows down to annoying degrees.
- Then you have the story stuff, it's not only boring, but this is their third re-release and we still can't skip stuff and boy oh boy ... the game is filled with dialogue and story beats that are too long and too basic.

The monster catching, raising, and core combat are great but they need to be in a better game tbh.
Do you know if it's the JP or the WW difficulty settings?

Status
Not open for further replies.