• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Next OT Name

• These Violent Bribes have Exclusive Ends

Votes: 38 4.8%
  • The One With the Price and Release Date. Maybe ¯\_(ツ)_/

Votes: 244 30.6%
  • Pre-register to be considered for |OT14|

Votes: 120 15.0%
  • Invitation Only

Votes: 37 4.6%
  • Not backwards compatible with OT10 or OT11, only with OT12

Votes: 62 7.8%
  • So anti-consumer you can't even pre-order

Votes: 68 8.5%
  • Silent but Violent

Votes: 229 28.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Why do so many think $599 could happen now? Is it only the DF comments about it or something else that I've missed?

The cost of the console components, I believe. Some components are even more expensive than last gen, if I recall correctly. Don't remember specifics. I think it's better to expect 600 and be pleasantly surprised if it isn't.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Why do so many think $599 could happen now? Is it only the DF comments about it or something else that I've missed?
I'm still on the $399 for the DE and $499 for the disc drive but I can see why some people are seeing this. Microsoft is set to release a new Xbox One S SKU at a MSRP of $299, and if they're doing that it sounds quite unlikely the Series S will also be at $299 or even $349 because that doesn't really make a lot of sense. So if we assume that speculation/theorizing is correct that would probably put the Series S at $399, which then also puts the other consoles at a higher price than a lot of people have been speculating.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Reactionary wish of fans and some US/ UK Media resulting from negative news cycle for the competitor.
There is no reason to look at $599, from the "fastest new adoption transition" comments, to the specs, to the bom, to the Sony FY report and forecast.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
You mean, like people in this industry saying they are gaming since they are 4 everytime there is a camera...

I think you forget one game. Tip : look at your avatar ;)
Joke aside, I fear of a delay for Kena.

I am not worried about Sackboy. The trailer in June looked like a launch trailer, not a teaser trailer.
How else can they make themselves believable if they don't emphasize they were gaming since they cane out of the womb!
The Switch still doesn't have an Achievement/Trophy System as well yet the gaming media never calls Nintendo out on these lack of standard features. Heck the Epic Games Store and Stadia both launched after the Switch yet they both already got an Achievement/Trophy system.
Nintendo is such a frustrating company. They make absolutely great games and hardware (most of the time ) but their ui, price of 1st party games, and their absolutely awful online anything it's just frustrating.
Ok Queen Vulpix now you can start the hype dance :D We ain't sleeping anymore.
Can do when I get to work as no wifi atm and it would kill my data

PapaJustify

Nov 3, 2017
Germany

I think it's psychologically preparing for the worst. While I personally consider 599,- unlikely, there is definitely a risk–all things considered–that it could be that price point. And if you come to terms with the worst case, you can only be positively surprised :)

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
I remember when I was this optimistic about the price. Good times.

54859484.jpg

Ewaan

Corrupted by Vengeance
May 29, 2020
Motherwell, Scotland

They're most likely victims of FUD. I'm still very much routed in the $399/$499 camp and there's a lot of decent write ups on this site suggesting why with price will be that way based on Sony financial results leading up to PS5 compared to what was seen on the lead up to PS4.

Knight

Jul 26, 2020
Italy
Just saw the PS5 ad! It's very well done, Sony ads are always so good.

I don't think PS5 will cost more than 499 tbh.

Oct 25, 2017
They're most likely victims of FUD. I'm still very much routed in the $399/$499 camp and there's a lot of decent write ups on this site suggesting why with price will be that way based on Sony financial results leading up to PS5 compared to what was seen on the lead up to PS4.

I just popped into an inflation calc. 400 USD in 2013 is about 450 now which is around where the cost of the PS5 BOM is supposedly. Maybe 500 USD is possible especially considering the chance a core user will sign up for PSN and buy a game and at least one other accessory.

But Im still preparing to hear 599.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
Reactionary wish of fans and some US/ UK Media resulting from negative news cycle for the competitor.
There is no reason to look at $599, from the "fastest new adoption transition" comments, to the specs, to the bom, to the Sony FY report and forecast.
If you include that BOM, add the controller, packaging, distribution, in all likelihood the actual price may be closer to $600 than you realize.

Of course, that doesn't mean we'll be paying that price. I suspect both companies are ready to take a loss at launch, just like this gen.

Personally still thinking it will be $499 for PS5 and 399 for PS5 DE.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
The giant at the end of the ad is a boss in GOW2 🤔🤔
It's always fun with trailers like these to speculate if we're looking at references of actual upcoming games or just some sort of world and monsters created just for the ad. Hopefully these are indeed references to games.
On the matter, I read or heard somewhere that you need a DS 4 to play BC game on PS5. Is that true?
I don't think such a thing has been confirmed or denied, but if that's true that'd be beyond stupid.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
I'm kinda in the 449/549 camp, feels reasonable. I don't think 599 will happen again and 399 seem too hopeful.

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
It'll be a $100 difference bare minimum. You don't go with a separate SKU for such a minor difference in price. Sure, the disc drive itself doesn't cost much, but it's about what you want out of your customer.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If you include that BOM, add the controller, packaging, distribution, in all likelihood the actual price may be closer to $600 than you realize.

Of course, that doesn't mean we'll be paying that price. I suspect both companies are ready to take a loss at launch, just like this gen.

Personally still thinking it will be $499 for PS5 and 399 for PS5 DE.
Those things are generally considered promo add ons.

The PS4 estimated bom near launch was about $381, and they were in the red for the first 3 months, at $399.

No reason to think they can't launch at $499 if the bom is around $450 (I think it could be even less than that, as I think the SSD is overinflated due to being a custom unknown factor).

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Was considering making a Lttp for this but.. Uncharted 4 is not very good.
Yes it's beautiful, and the animations are polished like crazy, but how is this game rated so highly? Ive just got to Madagascar and so far it has been a series of climbing on obviously coloured ledges and sliding down rocks. The puzzles are ridiculously basic, the combat is just hiding behind waist high obstacles, and overall I am really really shocked by the huge praise.
I mean this game is opm magazines best ps4 game, its 93 on meta critic I believe, am I on my own here?

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
Those things are generally considered promo add ons.

The PS4 bom near launch was about $381, and they were losing about $60 per unit for the first 3 months, at $399.

No reason to think they can't launch at $499 if the bom is around $450 (I think it could be even less than that, as I think the SSD is overinflated due to being a custom unknown factor).
Yes, I was agreeing with you and just pointing out that it was likely going to be a similar kind of loss-at-sale.

I believe the DRAM was initially a point of contention but the decrease in phone demand this year has allowed them to increase production order.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Been predicting $449/$499 for months now. Nothing anyone says will change my mind till sony say something official lol
I think this works really well if Sony can hit it...Digital Edition is very close to launch PS4. Most people will say it's more expensive, but $50 more? That's okay...

I'm with ya, still makes them the most sense to see $499 and DE cheaper, I'm not sure if they'll launch at at $450 for DE though, it could be $429, or even $399. Really depends on how much its costing Sony and how soon it'll be profitable. I don't think PS4 was a loss leader all that long this gen.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
The disc drive, yes. What about the additional licensing fees for blu-ray / power / wiring / cooling / case plastics? ;P
Hmmm arent sony exempt from that bluray fee as a member of some group or something? And still think it's not enough for $100 difference.

Either way, only so many weeks to go. $399 would be cool but wouldn't matter to me since I need a disc drive. Just hoping the base model is $499

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
It'll be a $100 difference bare minimum. You don't go with a separate SKU for such a minor difference in price. Sure, the disc drive itself doesn't cost much, but it's about what you want out of your customer.
Yeah, the one aspect of price I'm 100% confident on predicting is a $100 difference between SKUs. Sony wants you to go digital, it's not there just as a friendly option.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Gavin is still at Japan Studio as the new PSblog confirms

With the DualSense wireless controller and the power of haptics, we can make the combat [in Demon's Souls] feel grittier, darker, and deadlier. Now you feel every blow as you strike down your enemies and cast each spell. You'll experience the force of a titanic boss' attack as you pull off a well-timed guard. Metal strikes metal when your foes block your attacks or you block theirs. That extra sensory feedback through the controller allows you to know your attack hit home and your perfectly-timed parry was a success, so you can react faster and more decisively.

We can also turn the simple act of pulling a lever to open a gate into a sensory experience. This is something that rumble could never do. It could never replicate the feeling of metal striking metal or fire crackling in your hand as you conjure magic. Haptics [are] integral to the experience, to immersing the player in the world and adding to the gameplay. The visual, aural, and tactile working together takes this new generation of gaming into the future. —
Gavin Moore // Creative Director, SIE Japan Studio

blog.playstation.com

Presenting PlayStation’s first global ad spot showcasing key immersive features for the PS5 console generation

Developers also share how adaptive triggers and haptic feedback provide new game experiences on PS5.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
this blog post is really tempting me with all this DualSense talk goddamn! I just wanna try it now...

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Was considering making a Lttp for this but.. Uncharted 4 is not very good.
Yes it's beautiful, and the animations are polished like crazy, but how is this game rated so highly? Ive just got to Madagascar and so far it has been a series of climbing on obviously coloured ledges and sliding down rocks. The puzzles are ridiculously basic, the combat is just hiding behind waist high obstacles, and overall I am really really shocked by the huge praise.
I mean this game is opm magazines best ps4 game, its 93 on meta critic I believe, am I on my own here?
What are your issues with the game? If it's too easy adjust the difficulty for a nice challenge. The climbing sections were meant to be more interactive but got cut. Generally people love the story as well. Also, this is the type of stuff people like to do in Uncharted, it's a really fun shootem up, you aren't really supposed to stay behind cover all the time.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
I think this works really well if Sony can hit it...Digital Edition is very close to launch PS4. Most people will say it's more expensive, but $50 more? That's okay...

I'm with ya, still makes them the most sense to see $499 and DE cheaper, I'm not sure if they'll launch at at $450 for DE though, it could be $429, or even $399. Really depends on how much its costing Sony and how soon it'll be profitable. I don't think PS4 was a loss leader all that long this gen.
Given the tech they are packing, the hype from the brand and the software announced, I see PS5 being super successful at $449/$499. It could work.

so this is the CL final ad spot huh.

The blog post is exciting. Some of the uses for the adaptive triggers sound really good to me. Especially in Ratchet and clank.

Status
Not open for further replies.