• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MentalZer0

Oct 27, 2017
Can we please take a moment to congrats all PlayStation devs for making some high quality and incredible games all over the years?

I'm kinda pissed about CDPR, and really sorry for all the devs that have putted their heart and soul into Cyberpunk... the bad leadershipt is destroying the company :/

Oct 25, 2017
They are making a tv show ? The studio still up?
They were supposed to make a TV show created in game engine and they did some tests with it but apparently they canned the idea, and instead they are developing a game now (remakes were mentioned as something they pursued but he couldn't say what they are developing right now).

He also kinda hinted that Zenimax Online formed a studio in San Diego to get talent from Sony's San Diego studios. Before, San Diego has been a location where talent doesn't move between studios as rapidly as in LA.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
They were supposed to make a TV show created in game engine and they did some tests with it but apparently they canned the idea, and instead they are developing a game now (remakes were mentioned as something they pursued but he couldn't say what they are developing right now).
He left right. But good to know the studio keep going.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Media Molecule's pick-of-the-week. Please play it people... Now already updated with bugs & glitch fixes.
indreams.me

Cyber Trigger

Cyber Trigger is an old school 2D action platformer (2020) - Exit through the menu to upload your score. Hope you enjoy!

Also pick-of-the-week.
indreams.me

Ratchet & Clank: Bullet Heck

Save the galaxy from Dr. Nefarious in this intense 2D scrolling shooter!

Happy holidays.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Can we please take a moment to congrats all PlayStation devs for making some high quality and incredible games all over the years?

I'm kinda pissed about CDPR, and really sorry for all the devs that have putted their heart and soul into Cyberpunk... the bad leadershipt is destroying the company :/

It'll depend on the type of games WWS puts out this gen.

CP2077 is very dense ambitious in scope, hence why it's riddled with bugs.

Most of Sony's AAA games are either in post-apocalyptical or nature-centric settings, with limited amount of NPC and interactive objects on-screen.

Spider-Man 2 might be the one to look out for, maybe even ND's next game if it's Sci-Fi/Cyberpunk themed.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
Just finished miles. It was amazing in all ways. That 1080pRt patch came at a right time as I cant choose which mode to play in.

It's kinda incredible how insomniac is treating the spider-man franchise. It gave that MCU feel which felt like comfort food in a year that is lacking of MCU and movies in general.

Had a few bugs and crashes here in there as well as a fatal error
on the ending cutscene though I didnt mind rewatching it again
that I had to hard restart my PS5 but everything was all good once I started back up.

I forgot if it had the marvel roll at the beginning.

Oh and the soundtrack is amazing. They nailed it.

As a longtime spider-man fan, Miles is really starting to get ahead of peter for me. I haven't followed the comics though.

edit: my grammar died in this post. It's 4:30 in the morning.

1 gift from Queen Vulpix

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 1 gift from Nilou Nilou!

This is a weeklong raffle that will expire in one week. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

Nilou said:
Merry Vulpixmas everyone!

tenor.gif

My apologies for not being around much in quite a long time now, I wasn't however going to let that change the fact that I wanted to spread the holiday cheer and give a little Christmas gift to a lucky member of PS Era! I just wish I could give far more substantial a Christmas gift than what I am able to. As with all my giveaways anyone from any region is welcome to enter. Good luck to all who enter!

tenor.gif

These are our awesome prizes:

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
I'm hoping for a Lost Legacy/Miles Morales type of game coming from the new San Diego Studio. It doesn't have be the biggest game ever, just a very good 10~15 hours game like UC1 were back in 2007.

A remake of the first God Of War or even Uncharted 1 would be kinda nice, but to see a remake being made as their first game would be a little disappointing.

Etoh

Oct 25, 2017
San Juan, Puerto Rico
It'll depend on the type of games WWS puts out this gen.

CP2077 is very dense ambitious in scope, hence why it's riddled with bugs.

Most of Sony's AAA games are either in post-apocalyptical or nature-centric settings, with limited amount of NPC and interactive objects on-screen.

Spider-Man 2 might be the one to look out for, maybe even ND's next game if it's Sci-Fi/Cyberpunk themed.

... Huh?

Sony just gave us Astro's Playroom, Sackboy, Miles and Demon's Souls – All 4 games being very gameplay-centric, and of very good-to-great quality.

They're giving us Returnal, Destruction All Stars and Ratchet & Clank next... And people still insist on this kind of shit.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
... Huh?

Sony just gave us Astro's Playroom, Sackboy, Miles and Demon's Souls – All 4 games being very gameplay-centric, and of very good-to-great quality.

They're giving us Returnal, Destruction All Stars and Ratchet & Clank next... And people still insist on this kind of shit.
Scope is key the word here.

Sony hasn't put out a game that's anywhere near the density or detail of what CP2077's world is trying to do.

Gameplay isn't in question here; WWS games all play exceptionally well. I'm talking about a game's technical ambition.

Last edited:

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

He also kinda hinted that Zenimax Online formed a studio in San Diego to get talent from Sony's San Diego studios. Before, San Diego has been a location where talent doesn't move between studios as rapidly as in LA.
Well we know that Zenimax already snatched some of their devs, including the Sr. Game Designer Quentin Cobb of Sony's new AAA team in San Diego, etc.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
He is talking about the San Diego Visual Arts studio

Michael putting out a lot of interesting info.

I guess we can take that as confirmation that the VASG team (we already had that kinda), that usually only supports other studios with their games, is working on their own game by using stuff that was already made for an existing game (and that's the secret San Diego team).

Uncharted Spin-off seems likely.

Yup, that's what they were talking about. Kinda interesting how he talked about Cobb but probably better not to say those things here.

Yeah, that seemed odd.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
Michael putting out a lot of interesting info.

I guess we can take that as confirmation that the VASG team (we already had that kinda), that usually only supports other studios with their games, is working on their own game by using stuff that was already made for an existing game (and that's the secret San Diego team).

Uncharted Spin-off seems likely.

Yeah, that seemed odd.

Was it just weirdly personal or something? Sorry, I'm unable to listen to the video right now so I'm a bit confused.

OP
OP
JuanLatino

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
can someone who watched the video summarize the most interesting parts regarding the San Diego Team and Sonys first Party Studio?

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
I do hope later in the next year or so we hear about what this secret studio has been working on. I don't want to be disappointed like I was when the Manchester Studio got shut down without even formally announcing anything after waiting 5 years.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
The new studio has 200 devs? O.o

No, the whole VASG group has more than 250 devs. That's the whole team that also works on other first and third party games and helps with ingame animation and cinematography.

But within that group there is a team working on a game. We don't know how many devs are working on it.

Markratos

Hermen Hulst's Secret Account
Feb 15, 2020
Man this video was quite interesting. It seems that recent creative exits from Japan Sutdio and Sony Bend are normal. Sony has suffered a change of command and this always comes with movements. It seems that Shu also did the same during his early years as head of SIE WS. (He canceled two triple A's and a lot of talent left). It also seems that the competition is spending a lot of money during this Gen and want to absorb Sony creatives.

Last Gen was very smooth for Sony, but in this it seems that they will have much more competition. I hope the investment is up to the task and behind-the-scenes moves are being made.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
If you can't beat them, have them join you I guess?

hopefully Sony doesn't bleed too much talent. It kinda rubs me the wrong way that someone would set up shop somewhere specifically to scalp talent, but that's business I guess

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
Was it just weirdly personal or something? Sorry, I'm unable to listen to the video right now so I'm a bit confused.

It's kinda personal.

Michael implies that he publicly put himself at the centre of the team to boost his own career, but it was positive for the studio because people now were aware of that "secret San Diego team" that helped in the recruitment process.

At least that is my impression.

Personally, I think Michael should have avoided this topic and just ignored the names Jaffe was throwing around.

Desodeset

May 31, 2019
Sofia, Bulgaria
It was just mostly speculative, since he cant say for sure the reason why he left.
But the way he say it, is that it was a normal departure and that didnt affect what the studio was working on.

It's speculation on my side, but those guys that left Visual Arts (including Cobb) were multiplayer focused devs. They probably prefer to work on big online project than single player game. May be that is an important personal factor.

Oct 25, 2017
I found the talk about crunch culture pretty interesting in that video and how Jaffe and Mumbauer gave different perspectives. Based on that video let's just say, I'm not expecting for example Naughty Dog, Rockstar or any top-level studio making the highest fidelity games to fully stop crunching, which is sad but that's how I interpret the situation in the industry.
If you can't beat them, have them join you I guess?

hopefully Sony doesn't bleed too much talent. It kinda rubs me the wrong way that someone would set up shop somewhere specifically to scalp talent, but that's business I guess
If you set up a new AAA studio, that's what you have to do - get talent from other studios. I mean if you can offer the developers something that makes them enough interested to join, I don't see it as a bad thing.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
blog.playstation.com

PlayStation.Blog 2020 Game of the Year: The winners

With over 2.5 million votes across 17 categories, it's PS Blog's biggest GOTY celebration yet.

Best Use of DualSense
  1. Astro's Playroom
  2. Miles Morales
  3. Black Ops Cold War
  4. Demon's Souls

I haven't played Cold War or Demon's Souls remastered (yet) but I can say without any doubt that Sackboy ABA has far, far superior DualSense support than Miles Morales. Second only to Astro from what I've played.

Yeah. Miles actually has pretty good haptic feedback, but Sackboy is one of the few games that felt like it was utilizing sound waves to create dynamic vibrations like Astro does. Miles is definitely more subtle and dynamic than typical rumble like in Borderlands 3 or AC Valhalla, but it's definitely not at Sackboy level.
Miles Morales doesn't belong anywhere within that list, to be honest. Cold War, Sackboy, and even Borderlands 3 all make much better use of the Dualsense, in my opinion.

I disagree with Borderlands 3. It uses extremely basic rumble vibrations, and one trigger function (hard resistance to a click). Miles uses one trigger function, too, but at least it uses halfway decent haptic feedback.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I found the talk about crunch culture pretty interesting in that video and how Jaffe and Mumbauer gave different perspectives. Based on that video let's just say, I'm not expecting for example Naughty Dog, Rockstar or any top-level studio making the highest fidelity games to fully stop crunching, which is sad but that's how I interpret the situation in the industry.

If you set up a new AAA studio, that's what you have to do - get talent from other studios. I mean if you can offer the developers something that makes them enough interested to join, I don't see it as a bad thing.

it's a mixed bag at least. Hopefully it would lead to better pay/benefits/working conditions for everyone with more employers competing for talent

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
It's kinda personal.

Michael implies that he publicly put himself at the centre of the team to boost his own career, but it was positive for the studio because people now were aware of that "secret San Diego team" that helped in the recruitment process.

At least that is my impression.

Personally, I think Michael should have avoided this topic and just ignored the names Jaffe was throwing around.

Got it, thank you. That is a bit strange. I guess every industry has a little bit of gossip.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
Yeah. Miles actually has pretty good haptic feedback, but Sackboy is one of the few games that felt like it was utilizing sound waves to create dynamic vibrations like Astro does. Miles is definitely more subtle and dynamic than typical rumble like in Borderlands 3 or AC Valhalla, but it's definitely not at Sackboy level.

I disagree with Borderlands 3. It uses extremely basic rumble vibrations, and one trigger function (hard resistance to a click). Miles uses one trigger function, too, but at least it uses halfway decent haptic feedback.

I rather like the trigger functions on Borderlands 3 myself. Using Moze's mech makes the controller shake like crazy, and I tend not to use pistols as much anymore because they're harder to rapid fire now. I do think Cold War's implementation is more impressive, however, it's a lot of fun to fire off the assault rifles in that game.

Miles' incorporation is just a little too subtle for me, I hardly even feel it. I haven't played it in a few weeks, though, so if it's been improved in a patch, I haven't yet experienced it.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Super long periods of OT definitely need to go away however It's honestly inevitable in almost every project that people WILL need to work some level of OT, but gaming industry definitely abuses that and projects def need to be better managed to reduce having to do it. But in my own experience of working on projects usually the options are attempt to hire more people or work OT and the Amount of time to hire people and get them up to speed many times people on the project can work more time and are more efficient.

However way better planning and even looking at historically how a project ran can help to reduce crunch if companies are way way better at managing their projects but people are unpredictable and you can have shit like a pandemic and it forces you to work extra time to get something out the door for various reasons.
That's kind of how I view it.

Last edited:

Damien1990

May 23, 2020
They've done a great job. I've played through Days Gone and God of War on the PS+ Collection and they're both great with the scale of the games. Looking forward to the sequels of both (I'm sure there will be one for Days Gone eventually).

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
can someone who watched the video summarize the most interesting parts regarding the San Diego Team and Sonys first Party Studio?
- Over 100 people in his studio (VASG) worked on TLOU2 for Naughty Dog. They worked on the cinematic animations. For example how the Ellie model looks, her animations, etc. Naughty Dog has people for cinematic animations, too. But his team did the majority of the work.
- VASG has 250 - 300 people. The new SIE studio in Malaysia is a part of it. When he joined, it had roughly 30 people. It's full of talent.
- Shawn Layden was a fan of remaking/remastering old Sony IPs. So I guess Shawn is the reason why we got the Uncharted Collection, the God of War remasters, the Shadow of the Colossus remake, the MediEvil Remake, the Crash remake, Demon's Souls remake, etc. And I guess with Shawn now gone, things are changing. Explains why no MediEvil 2 remake will be made imo.
- The new AAA team at San Diego VASG is working on an action adventure game, "while utilizing proprietary engine technology. This team was assembled to expand upon existing franchises and craft all new stories for the next generation of gamers."
-
That some people are saying "crunch is always a management issue" makes no sense. Both worked with some of the best studios bosses / managers ever. And they still crunched in the end to finish a big project. Both (Michael and David) made some good points. You have to listen to it. They talked a lot about the crunch topic.
- He wanted to make some animated shows, while using assets they made and used for the big AAA singleplayer games. For example, instead of waiting 4 to 5 years for a story to continue (or after a franchise ended), they could keep telling a story in that universe with these kind of shows. They even had a Uncharted prototype ready and it looked great. But Sony wasn't sure there's a market for this. So they didn't keep this idea alive.
- As mentioned, Shawn was a fan of remakes and remasters. So they had ideas to remake the first Uncharted and the first God of War
- He thinks it's "interesting" that some people used social media to put themselves and the "secret team" into the spotlight.
- Left Sony to form a new company. Looks like he wants to do what he tried before at VASG. Using in-game assets/cinematics to create TV shows.
- Things change when the big management guys are changing/leaving. Happened after Phil Harrison, Jack Tretton, Shawn Layden, Andrew House, Shu Yoshida, etc.
- Everybody loves Shu

Good video overall. Some interesting stuff. Clearly looks like they are working on a new Uncharted game imho. So my guess, 3 years ago, seems to be right. A new Uncharted game like The Lost Legacy is my good guess. Or, who knows, maybe even an Uncharted 1 remake (maybe even the VITA game, Golden Abyss). When Jaffe asked him "so you guys are doing a remake" he clearly had to stop and think what he can say next. So yeah, let's see. We should get an announcement next year.

Last edited:

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
- Over 100 people in his studio (VASG) worked on TLOU2 for Naughty Dog. They worked on the cinematic animations. For example how the Ellie model looks, her animations, etc. Naughty Dog has people for cinematic animations, too. But his team did the majority of the work.
- VASG has 250 - 300 people. The new SIE studio in Malaysia is a part of it. When he joined, it had roughly 30 people. It's full of talent.
- Shawn Layden was a fan of remaking/remastering old Sony IPs. So I guess Shawn is the reason why we got the Uncharted Collection, the God of War remasters, the Shadow of the Colossus remake, the MediEvil Remake, the Crash remake, Demon's Souls remake, etc. And I guess with Shawn now gone, things are changing. Explains why no MediEvil 2 remake will be made imo.
- The new AAA team at San Diego VASG is working on an action adventure game, "while utilizing proprietary engine technology. This team was assembled to expand upon existing franchises and craft all new stories for the next generation of gamers."
-
Some people saying "crunch is always a management issue" makes no sense. Both worked with some of the best studios bosses / managers ever. And they still crunched in the end to finish a big project.
- He wanted to make some animated shows, while using assets they made and used for the big AAA singleplayer games. For example, instead of wating 4 to 5 games for a story to continue, they could keep telling a story in a universe with these kind of shows. They even had a Uncharted prototype ready and it looked great. But Sony wasn't sure there's a market for this. So they didn't keep this idea alive.
- As mentioned, Shawn was a fan of remakes and remasters. So they had ideas to remake the first Uncharted and the first God of War
- He thinks it's "interesting" that some people used social media to put themselves and the "secret team" into the spotlight.
- Left Sony to form a new company. Looks like he wants to do what he tried before at VASG. Using in-game assets/cinematics to create TV shows.
- Things change when the big management guys are changing/leaving. Happened after Phil Harrison, Jack Tretton, Shawn Layden, Andrew House, Shu Yoshida, etc.
- Everybody loves Shu

Good video overall. Some interesting stuff. Clearly looks like they are working on a new Uncharted game imho. So my guess, 3 years ago, seems to be right. A new Uncharted game like The Lost Legacy is my good gues. Or, who knows, maybe even an Uncharted 1 remake (maybe even the VITA game, Golden Abyss). When Jaffe asked him "so you guys are doing a remake" he clearly had to stop and think what he says next. So yeah, let's see. We should get an announcement next year.
This is very insightful. A very interesting interview.

I feel that Uncharted episode stuff was tossed aside in favour of a Uncharted Movie or maybe that overlapped?

Status
Not open for further replies.