• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kunjiru

Apr 14, 2020
I'd love to see Sony take on a FFX style RPG, same sort of scope and turn based combat being the focus. It's a very accessible game for rpg newbies and core players alike, and that style tends to be relegated to indies nowadays. Having a Decima Engine game with a cool style would be great to see!

That would be cool...and that's why I don't think it will ever happen. RPG and good turn-based combat? Yeah, that's like two too many bulletpoints they have no expertise in for Sony to handle, sadly.

Like it or not, i think that CD Projekt RED is an acquisition target for Sony.

Personally, I don't think it will happen since CDPR is a bit expensive. They could use some better leadership and Playstation could use good RPGs, but yeah.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
That would be cool...and that's why I don't think it will ever happen. RPG and good turn-based combat? Yeah, that's like two too many bulletpoints they have no expertise in for Sony to handle, sadly.

Personally, I don't think it will happen since CDPR is a bit expensive. They could use some better leadership and Playstation could use good RPGs, but yeah.

If Sony want RPGs that badly, they could just moneyhat TW4 to keep it off Xbox and agree to a simultaneous PC & PS5 launch. They were willing to moneyhat a mainline FF game and the remakes of arguably the most popular FF game ever.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
If Sony want RPGs that badly, they could just moneyhat TW4 to keep it off Xbox and agree to a simultaneous PC & PS5 launch. They were willing to moneyhat a mainline FF game and the remakes of arguably the most popular FF game ever.

I don't think CDPR is making any deals with Sony any time soon after Cyberpunk, and I doubt Sony wants to be directly associated with THEM either.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think CDPR can take that PR hit after the way Cyberpunk turned out, they will need Witcher 4 to regain their lost "we leave greed to others" image.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
RE: London Studio game, they had a job listing (now deleted) for senior artists to work on characters, skins, creatures, weapons, and gear.

So it's very clear it's a PvE co-op game rather than fighting other players.

We are looking for highly skilled Senior Character Artists to join our team, who are willing to take focus and responsibility for External Development across our Character Art. This Senior Artist role is part of the internal Character Art team, and the ideal candidate will be expected to drive and guide our external partners in crafting a wide range of characters, skins, creatures, weapons, and gear.
In addition to this, you will be developing our External Artists to help them maintain a consistent visual direction of our IP, provide feedback, and supervise content to ensure it meets the highest quality and performance.

www.resetera.com

PlayStation Studios |OT25| Aloy brings a bow to a giant machine fight Sony

A few new job listings got posted for London Studio's PS5 online game. I guess this would rule out PlayStation Home and The Getaway due to mention of creatures and weapons: Senior Character Artists (External Development) https://playstationlondonstudio.com/join-us/job/?id=5860193002

Also another (now deleted) job listing was talking up their engine (Soho Engine). Also mentioned procedural and scale, so possibly an open-world game?

Screenshot_2021-10-07_at_00.10.29.png

www.resetera.com

PlayStation Studios |OT23| Marvel at the Creative Bankruptcy Sony

Many Children Movies these days deal with very serious topics and don't go the "easy route" You can explore the subject of bullying more in depth wihle still making something intended for an all-ages audience and imo you should if you touch serious topics.

Kunjiru

Apr 14, 2020
I don't think CDPR is making any deals with Sony any time soon after Cyberpunk, and I doubt Sony wants to be directly associated with THEM either.

Why? I don't think that Cyberpunk refunds or blockage by Playstation had any influence on the relationship, it was probably a regular business agreement. And the "they don't want to be associated with THEM" argument is also kind of funny considering the same was said about Blizzard for example, but Diablo 2 Resurrected or Call of Duty on both Playstation and Xbox were marketed just fine. And MS did acquire (or is acquiring) ActiBlizz despite being previously disgusted with them and not wanting being associated with them. If it's financially promising, they (companies) will associate themselves with the Devil himself lol

Smitch

Unshakable Resolve
Apr 21, 2022
Yeah i think so
Experience designing Coop gameplay (local or online).
Experience with Combat Design.
Experience designing and implementing well balanced AI Enemies.
Experience designing for online multiplayer gameplay.
Experience working on GaaS or 'Ongoing' games.
Experience in developing AAA games

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder how much incentive there will be for studios / Publishers to add their PS1-3 titles to ps+

I just really hope there will be lots of psx and PS2 titles on there but the only PS2 titles confirmed being the PS4 remasters have me a pretty worried.

Last edited:

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
RE: London Studio game, they had a job listing (now deleted) for senior artists to work on characters, skins, creatures, weapons, and gear.

www.resetera.com

A few new job listings got posted for London Studio's PS5 online game. I guess this would rule out PlayStation Home and The Getaway due to mention of creatures and weapons: Senior Character Artists (External Development) https://playstationlondonstudio.com/join-us/job/?id=5860193002

Also another (now deleted) job listing was talking up their engine (Soho Engine). Also mentioned procedural and scale, so possibly an open-world game?

www.resetera.com

Many Children Movies these days deal with very serious topics and don't go the "easy route" You can explore the subject of bullying more in depth wihle still making something intended for an all-ages audience and imo you should if you touch serious topics.
modiz You should add this to the thread

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
I would like to see PS1 and PS2 collections in the PS Store that group together both these new PS1 Classics with remasters of PS1 games, and the same for PS2/PSP era games. There are absolutely tons if you include things like Chrono Cross, Mega Man, FF, Kingdom Hearts and all the other remasters from these eras.

SuperOctopus

Apr 22, 2020
Regarding PS+ game streaming, did Sony communicate on launching an app on Android or Smart TVs? There are rumors that MS will launch a streaming stick for XCloud but I'm wondering if Sony is planning on going the same way or not.

Oct 27, 2017
Regarding PS+ game streaming, did Sony communicate on launching an app on Android or Smart TVs? There are rumors that MS will launch a streaming stick for XCloud but I'm wondering if Sony is planning on going the same way or not.
Well, Sony used to have a PSNow app on Samsung tvs in 2015(?) and on their Blu Ray players, so I imagine they're thinking of bringing it back and introducing the service to more devices in the future.

Smitch

Unshakable Resolve
Apr 21, 2022
They're working on it
Sony Interactive Entertainment's Cloud Gaming Engineering and Infrastructure (CGEI) division is leading the Cloud Gaming revolution, putting console-quality video games on any device, from TVs to consoles to mobile devices and beyond.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Still multiplayer, though. We can't even get one fantasy single player game before we have to sink into the multiplayer bog. I'm so depressed by Sony's current direction as a publisher.
Depend on what kind of multiplayer, if it's pve online co-op, I'm still excited. And plenty pve multiplayer games nowadays allow solo play. FF14 is an mmo and I mostly play solo other than the dungeon which have party finder.

Oct 27, 2017
Techland is a chaotic studio that luckily has enough talent and passion to put out two pretty good Dying Light games and lots of DLC (at least for DL1). I don't think Sony would acquire them.

CDPR on the other hand...can also be described just like Techland but they happened to have put out a genre-defining open world game in The Witcher 3 and last-gen's biggest fiasco, Cyberpunk 2077.

They're making The Witcher 4 now but, even if Sony bought them, what's next after that game comes out? What if they want to do a new IP? Or do they just want to be a Witcher factory?

Meh, doesn't seem to be worth the trouble.

Not only that, but with CDPR you'd have to spend like $10 billion to get a one-project studio that releases a new game every 5-6 years. For a similar price you could get all of Ubisoft or Capcom.

Probably worth noting that the co-Studio Head of London Studio (Stuart Whyte) is ex-Lionhead, and was Head of Production on both Fable 1 and 2 and Studio Director on Fable Legends. So it kinda makes sense why they might be pushing for a fantasy game.

Oh cool, I would like to see something charming and characterful from them, but unique enough to be distinct from Fable.

www.resetera.com

www.resetera.com

Nice info, thanks. I kind of expected they'd be doing another London/crime/military game so this is a pleasant surprise!

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
With Haven and London Studio not working on a PS Home type game.
I do wonder if anyone is making one.
Seems like a no brainer for PSVR2

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Depend on what kind of multiplayer, if it's pve online co-op, I'm still excited. And plenty pve multiplayer games nowadays allow solo play. FF14 is an mmo and I mostly play solo other than the dungeon which have party finder.

Meh, the majority of modern "online games" offer solo play as a concession but the games are never well-designed around it. They DESPERATELY want you to play online and put zero effort into ensuring the solo experience is actually fun.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
With Haven and London Studio not working on a PS Home type game.
I do wonder if anyone is making one.
Seems like a no brainer for PSVR2
Go check average VRChat interaction and you will see why Sony might not want to touch something like that with 1000000 ft pole.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I don't expect the copyright infringements to carry over.
And I'm sure it would be moderated like all MP games
I thought you mean Home as in VR space for people to goof around in PSVR2. I still rememebr that absolute insanity that was early PS4's "Live from PlayStation" when it launched and were people broadcasting striptease and showing off their gun collections.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
I thought you mean Home as in VR space for people to goof around in PSVR2. I still rememebr that absolute insanity that was early PS4's "Live from PlayStation" when it launched and were people broadcasting striptease and showing off their gun collections.
I meant more like PS home.
Where people could interact with each others.

Adookah

Nov 1, 2017
Sarajevo
Eh, I'm divided on this as I feel like Killzone has had its time to shine and after 4+ instalments it never really struck gold (disclaimer: 1 was crap even for its time, 2 was good but with caveats, 3 played better but was overall worse than 2, Mercenary was genuinely great but scuppered by the hardware, I didn't play Liberation and Shadowfall was like 1/3 an excellent game but then level design and story went down the toilet).

So I kind of hope that the second team at Guerrilla (led by Simon Larouche) are working on a new IP, because I think modern Sony looks forward rather than back and wants its development teams to have big hits with new IPs, like Horizon and Ghost of Tsushima. That being said, I would buy the shit out of a Killzone Collection on PS4/PS5 and I wouldn't mind if their next game was a Killzone reboot, this time hopefully with better characters and storytelling.

There's a very strong chance they're addressing that though. Quoting a post on Sony's potential incoming FPSs that I made a few months ago, of course based on the assumption that these games will all be FPSs. I think there have been some rumours recently that the Guerrilla game might be a Horizon TPS co-op multiplayer game, which honestly doesn't interest me nearly as much as a new FPS IP:

"I've been thinking about it recently and I think there's a good chance Sony will have 4 major FPS launches in the next ~4 years. As a fan of the genre I really hope they bring the usual PS Studios level of polish, hopefully some good storytelling and some unique art and settings. I would like to see some sci-fi and really creative stuff in their games, although hopefully there's a good variety of styles and settings. I'm not really a fan of contemporary war settings so I hope the games are a bit more interesting than that.

1. Guerrilla's second project – I feel like this could easily be MP only, or if we're lucky it will have a campaign component too. As a predominantly offline player, I'm hoping for the latter, obviously. While I enjoyed most of the Killzone games they would need to step it up a gear with much better writing, characterisation and a higher quality of level design. I also think there's a slim chance that the Bungie Netherlands studio collaborates on this, so Bungie's first production under PlayStation would be a Bungie x Guerrilla crossover, which would be exciting to see! I think this will be the first to release out of the four, with possibly a reveal this year but probably a reveal next year, for a release early 2024. I expect most of the Horizon development team will now move over to this project, probably with some held back for Horizon DLC and then a small number moving on to Horizon 3 pre-production. I think it's likely this will be a new IP and unrelated to Killzone.
  2. Deviation Games' new IP – they were at ~110 staff when this was revealed mid-2021 so I assume it is already in full production, although they're likely to keep staffing up for a good while yet. I don't really follow COD (the last one I played was Infinite Warfare) but you can't deny they feel good to play and the two heads of this studio were IIRC the creative director and executive producer on the Black Ops series, so they have some pedigree. I imagine Sony will market this heavily as a major release and they will very likely have acquisition discussions with Deviation. I'm really hopeful this will have the whole shebang with campaign and multiplayer (and possibly a COD Zombies-like component too, as that seems to have been a major success for the Treyarch games), and it wouldn't surprise me if it has a similar gamefeel to COD, although personally I am not a fan of ADS or the very fast TTK in that series. I'm expecting this to be ready for release in late 2024 or early 2025, and IIRC they have been partnered with PlayStation since 2019.
  3. Firewalk's new IP – I think the question of what happens with Firewalk is an interesting one now that Sony has acquired Bungie. Honestly I would love them to just create a focused single-player FPS with the wonderful momentum and feel that Bungie's FPSs have, but I think they've already talked about blending SP and MP design which makes me think of Titanfall 1, and I don't find that very appealing. However, hopefully they will go in a different direction from Bungie, Destiny and Halo so they have something which is visually and creatively distinct. I looked them up a month or two back and they were only about 60-something staff, so I expect this game to be a good 3+ years from release.
  4. Bungie's next game – and lastly we have Bungie, undoubtedly the crown jewel in Sony's FPS output. I wouldn't like to speculate what kind of game they are working on next, although after playing Destiny 1 I would hope they have a clear divide between campaign and multiplayer because the campaign in that game didn't really work for me. I wouldn't be surprised if it's another live service game as Sony will want to recoup their investment and they can probably have a smoother launch with a lot of lessons learned from Destiny, although personally I would be really disinterested in that. Halo and Halo Reach are two of my favourite FPSs ever, so I'm excited to see them launch another new IP, even if Destiny didn't fully land for me (and I haven't played Destiny 2 at all). Whatever they do next I hope the worldbuilding and writing is better than Destiny. I'm expecting this is a long way from release and we're probably looking at late 2025 at the soonest, although Sony might reveal it early to create hype.

Elsewhere I think there's a chance one of Santa Monica Studios or Naughty Dog make an FPS next (I think I'm just basing this on hope rather than any evidence or hints), and we will probably see a sequel to Farpoint on PSVR2, and possibly Firewall: Zero Hour (I get the impression this game is good but it didn't do very well). As a big fan of the genre I'm looking forward to seeing some big AAA PS-backed new entries over the next few years."
Great post!

GlamPrime

Banned
Nov 1, 2021
PSN generates 14 Billion in sales?

Sony Group revealed that PSN sales currently amount to over $14 billion (1 trillion 800 billion yen, to be precise) across over 100 million accounts. Chairman, president, and CEO Kenichiro Yoshida said that the network remains Sony's largest direct-to-consumer (DTC) service, and is an "important" aspect of the business.

www.playstationlifestyle.net

PlayStation Network Currently Generates Over $14 Billion in Sales

Sony has revealed that PSN sales generated over $14 billion in FY2021, and the network remains one of its priorities.

I knew PSn generated a lot but 14 billion (a year) from PSN is kinda insane...

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
I'm way more excited for the London Studio project after hearing it's based on a fantasy setting.

Fantasy: +1
MP only: -10
No VR: -10

Letting one of their few 1st party studios with some serious VR experience work on a non-VR MP game makes me sad.

What's next, Insomniac isn't working on any VR game and GT7 has no VR support or it'll come out in a couple of years after PSVR2 launch? I'm slightly exaggerating here, but who knows with Sony.

Of course London Studios probably wanted to make this game, so I wish them good luck.

Smitch

Unshakable Resolve
Apr 21, 2022
Fantasy: +1
MP only: -10
No VR: -10

Letting one of their few 1st party studios with some serious VR experience work on a non-VR MP game makes me sad.

What's next, Insomniac isn't working on any VR game and GT7 has no VR support or it'll come out in a couple of years after PSVR2 launch? I'm slightly exaggerating here, but who knows with Sony.

Of course London Studios probably wanted to make this game, so I wish them good luck.
I really hope London Studio hasn't given up on VR

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Sony Group revealed that PSN sales currently amount to over $14 billion (1 trillion 800 billion yen, to be precise) across over 100 million accounts. Chairman, president, and CEO Kenichiro Yoshida said that the network remains Sony's largest direct-to-consumer (DTC) service, and is an "important" aspect of the business.

Sony has revealed that PSN sales generated over $14 billion in FY2021, and the network remains one of its priorities.

Microtransactions are a hell of a business.

Oct 30, 2017

Yeah it's wild. It's more than half of their total revenue for PS.
Their ecosystem makes them a ton of money.

Other sources of revenue being: Hardware, accessories, physical game sales, PC sales, etc.

Sony needs to find a way to continue to drive and deepen engagement with their platform as they face shortages.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
Still multiplayer, though. We can't even get one fantasy single player game before we have to sink into the multiplayer bog. I'm so depressed by Sony's current direction as a publisher.
I mean, Destiny and Genshin are pretty much single player games most of the time. I haven't been playing Genshin for long but so far it's not required me to play multiplayer at all. Nothing stopping London Studios game being a mostly single player campaign with some non-mandatory multiplayer dungeons or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.