• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
So like game awards was pretty heavy Sony? It's so weird they didn't have many of this years announcements in a showcase or even a mega-SoP. Like,… why? I get they can do it at their own shows but then they just announce Horizon expansion, DS2, and other stuff at TGA?

Feels like they could've had a great, cohesive mega show in September or October with all of these announcements

DangerMouse

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Forspoken seems like a stinker to me after demo.
I liked it quite a bit. Definitely took some time to get used to last night, so needed to have some patience acclimating to everything you can do, but once I did it was starting to feel pretty good.

Can't wait.
Cool to see these getting some consistent tweets now, especially Lost Soul Aside, must be finally coming together. Glad they picked it up to publish.

Deleted member 95442

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2021
I had voted for audio for HFW. Its soundtrack was very good, though award itself likely encompasses more than just that. Overall, I don't feel HFW was cheated at the awards, it fell just short of the very top level IMO, and maybe this will motivate them to turn out even better.

I don't see the need for people to get worked out over executives being there. All that has happened for Phil is that he is now being clowned on by parts of the toxic community for being there and looking stressed out the whole time whilst not showing anything from Xbox first-party except for gamepass ads. That type of stuff is all that will come out from them being there.

If Jimbo was there with that kind of output we likely would have threads on here.

Also, felt weirdly bad for Phil Spencer, like Bobby Newport in Parks and Rec (not kidding).

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
So like game awards was pretty heavy Sony? It's so weird they didn't have many of this years announcements in a showcase or even a mega-SoP. Like,… why? I get they can do it at their own shows but then they just announce Horizon expansion, DS2, and other stuff at TGA?

Feels like they could've had a great, cohesive mega show in September or October with all of these announcements
I was about to post this earlier, hearing the PS chime in a few 3rd party multi platform trailers was not what I expected.

Anyone played the Forspoken demo? I'm reading really bad impressions about it.

I did.

I will treat is as a demo and not be all doom and gloom. The HDR needs fixing or since its a demo there was no setup for it like when first starting a game.

Having a tutorial was good, but its like you are halfway into the game so you have no idea what does what, how to climb, etc.

Its basically a demo throwing you in the middle of a game and saying go for it with a brief tutorial of basic gameplay. The combat isnt what I was expecting, but its too early to say. There is alot you can do combat wise, lol. The game may need a trial, especially for those that didnt like the demo.

The main character model is nice tho.

Last edited:

Naoto

Unshakable Resolve
May 3, 2022
Ireland
Couple years ago The Last of Us coming to PC would've been a megaton, but not so much now. Strange times, friends~

Rurouni

Dec 25, 2017
Is there another blog website for GOTY award tracking totals at the moment?

The original GOTY blog site has no longer been used since 2020, and gameawards.net is no longer accessible. What's happened?

Naoto

Unshakable Resolve
May 3, 2022
Ireland
Just a random thought, but I can totally see Sony/SIE acquiring a large stake in Square Enix next year and outright buying them in a few years. Just like they did with EMI.

Jun 22, 2021
I had voted for audio for HFW. Its soundtrack was very good, though award itself likely encompasses more than just that. Overall, I don't feel HFW was cheated at the awards, it fell just short of the very top level IMO, and maybe this will motivate them to turn out even better.
Sadly, I think it was just one of those things, the competition this year was fierce. I'm sure if Horizon had released last year it would've won quite a few awards, nice to see it still get nominated for awards tho.

tok9

Prophet of Truth
Nov 2, 2017
I'm really intrigued to hear more on the Horizon expansion. It being PS5 only is really exciting. I'm wondering if it means something crazy like aerial combat or races, things like that.

As for the show, thought it was easily the best Game Awards in terms of reveals. Death Stranding 2 looked fantastic, just love that style.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't stop thinking about that Jedi Survivor trailer. That was the best reveal to me. Rideable creatures, claymore lightsaber, full duel wielding combat style. They showed off a lot of cool looking stuff.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
This is all we got so far
I'm really intrigued to hear more on the Horizon expansion. It being PS5 only is really exciting. I'm wondering if it means something crazy like aerial combat or races, things like that.

As for the show, thought it was easily the best Game Awards in terms of reveals. Death Stranding 2 looked fantastic, just love that style.
Our creative vision for the Burning Shores is an ambitious expansion which will take Aloy to the ruins of Los Angeles. It's an overgrown and fractured city that can be fully explored via the water and flying on the back of a Sunwing. A massive machine threat lurks in its shadows – a huge challenge that Aloy must overcome by using all of her skills and abilities. To achieve this grand vision technically and creatively, we've made the difficult decision to focus all our efforts on making an incredible experience exclusively for the PlayStation 5 console.
blog.playstation.com

Aloy’s story continues in Horizon Forbidden West: Burning Shores

Get a first glimpse at what’s next for Aloy as she travels south of the Tenakth Clan Lands…

ket

Jul 27, 2018
I bet Horizon 3 is gonna have a boss fight against Horus machines and this DLC is like a test for that gameplay

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
That death stranding trailer asks so many questions and I love to read about the speculations. Best trailer of the show for me. There are so many strange things in there.

MrTomato

Jan 20, 2022
Just played the Forspoken demo.
Man...for a game that had nothing going for it in the trailers EXCEPT for the great-looking gameplay, the gameplay just lacks any impact.
It definitely takes some time to get used to it (which I have no issue with) and you can do some cool things, but it mostly "looks" great instead of "feeling" great.
I was already more down than most people in this forum due to the lackluster and empty looking open world, but this demo definitely reinforced my impression.
Yes, it's "only" a demo, but I don't see the gameplay feeling much better in a few months. Maybe the story and content will be better than expected, though. This strikes me as a 75-80 game for now.

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017

TGA gets an enormous amount of viewers.

Rintaro_kyoka

Aug 4, 2022
Impressive month for Sony. #1 in hardware sales. GoW was huge, only losing out to multiplat Modern Warfare 2, and somehow Spider-Man Miles Morales is still hanging around in the top 10, 2 years after release.

View: https://twitter.com/BenjiSales/status/1601255805411790848?s=20&t=dMrGJ42lGUyDb1Xr9IcLGA

Gow is also most likely losing to pokemon if you add digital sales, which isn't a multiplat game. COD also sold more than Gow on ps4 and was top 2 on ps5 according to psn chart so it's most likely that Cod is ahead of GOW on psn too without other platform sales.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Horizon was robbed, not just last night but in general. Most of the criticism it receives isn't warranted at all. Harping on a game because the graphics are too good is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen in games "journalism". Didn't stop me from getting a plat! It's such a great game.

Ragnarok should have got GOTY. I have no bias against From (demons souls remake is one of the best games I've ever played and BB is pretty brilliant too) but ER just ends up being so bland and drawn out. It's got a lot of good qualities but also a lot of flaws.

ToddBonzalez

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Horizon was robbed, not just last night but in general. Most of the criticism it receives isn't warranted at all. Harping on a game because the graphics are too good is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen in games "journalism". Didn't stop me from getting a plat! It's such a great game.

Ragnarok should have got GOTY. I have no bias against From (demons souls remake is one of the best games I've ever played and BB is pretty brilliant too) but ER just ends up being so bland and drawn out. It's got a lot of good qualities but also a lot of flaws.
I don't think Horizon was robbed. The only category it arguably should have won was for music, but even that was a very competitive category. It was just a competitive year overall.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey

I feel like Horizon is the ultimate runners up game, where most categories it was nominated for it would have gotten the award had it not been for another game that edged it out.

Portodutch

Feb 17, 2021
Finally able to watch the FF16 with sound, i just have one word Epic.
I am glad I can get excited about a Final Fantasy game again.

Rintaro_kyoka

Aug 4, 2022

Just because other people didn't felt like you it doesn't mean that it was robbed, that's suggestive and not only journalists made critics toward Horizon, alot of players did, I don't understand why does it seems that some people here look like they are personally attacked when someone dare to put critic toward a ps studio game and is not praising it to the moon.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Just because other people didn't felt like you it doesn't mean that it was robbed, that's suggestive and not only journalists made critics toward Horizon, alot of players did, I don't understand why does it seems that some people here look like they are personally attacked when someone dare to put critic to a ps studio game and is not praising it to the moon.
I'm not saying it should be GOTY (but Ragnarok should)… nor do I feel personally attacked lol. But it's not winning anything and the mostly unwarranted negative criticism it received overshadows what makes the game good.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
So pleased to see the PS5 logo only these days.

Outside of PlayStation, Replaced still looks awesome and Crime Boss gave me very strong GTA Vice City vibes. I'm looking forward to seeing more on that one.

PlayStation had a sprinkling of announcements with a main attraction. Death Standing 2. PS5 only. Jesus christ that's going to be good. The rest could have made for a decent State of Play but not a showcase.

Can't wait for the real showcase next year now, knowing PS5 only content is front and centre.

ToddBonzalez

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not saying it should be GOTY (but Ragnarok should)… nor do I feel personally attacked lol. But it's not winning anything and the mostly unwarranted negative criticism it received overshadows what makes the game good.
It was the 2nd most nominated game overall, right? I think that shows that critics think very highly of it. It was considered one of the 6 best games of the year (considering its GOTY nom). Its a very acclaimed game.

kowalski

Oct 27, 2017
and somehow Spider-Man Miles Morales is still hanging around in the top 10, 2 years after release.

View: https://twitter.com/BenjiSales/status/1601255805411790848?s=20&t=dMrGJ42lGUyDb1Xr9IcLGA

The PC version was released in November.
Gow is also most likely losing to pokemon if you add digital sales, which isn't a multiplat game. COD also sold more than Gow on ps4 and was top 2 on ps5 according to psn chart so it's most likely that Cod is ahead of GOW on psn too without other platform sales.
Nah, God of War was #1 in the PlayStation NPD list.
So no, COD did not sell better than Ragnarök on PlayStation.

p_2534vjjc20.jpg

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
If only they hadn't sold the shares they had... what could've been
They are about as close as private companies can get. And iirc, Sony bought SE shares when they were hurting, and Sony sold shares when they were hurting. I think the companies even talked about helping each other in times of need.

If they want to merge, they will...I think Sony is fine with the FF agreement atm though, they are likely trying to make the next big IP instead of acquring them which is mightily expensive. From and Capcom are the only companies I would actually acquire. Capcom becuase it's such a rich get for IP, and you don't have to go broke to acquire them, and From is self explanatory.

Again, I think all Sony's acquisitions will be studio per studio though. The landscape, particuarly if ABK gets blocked, is just ripe for trying your own ideas and innovating in IP. Anything can take off today as different types of gamers get into the industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.