• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
After a few days with my PS5, I have to say that this will already by my main console and not the Series X.

Console itself is huge and due to my setup, it's staying horizontal, which is perfectly fine w/ me. I really like the controller and able to use the touch pad area like a mouse, esp for FF XIV online, is pretty cool. Controller feels really good as well. However, I haven't really utilize a bunch of the features of the controller..yet. So, my opinion will change on it, probably for the better I would imagine.

When I boot it up the first, time, I love how my Sony Bravia TV recognize the PS5 and worked with the system to get the optimal picture settings. What's really cool is that there is a PS logo on the input when you go to change the source input (HDMI 1, etc).

When it comes to the UI, It's a hell of a lot better than what MS did with their UI on their console; however, it took a little bet to get accustomed to it. Finding games and your library is simple enough and I like that it gives you a page of the game (activity, etc) when you hover over that game icon. Overall, the UI is more well thought out then what MS did on their console, which I like. If I can find any downside is that there are no themes.

When it comes to the store, beats MS hands down, esp on the web. I find it a lot cleaner to use and easier to find stuff.

I haven't played much games yet (watching world junior hocky tournament on TV), but what little I played of GOW Ragnarok, It's bleeping awesome. This is where Sony destroys MS, the 1st party games. honestly, besides Forza, there wasn't much 1st party games that I played. With the PS5, I have GoW, Horizon, Spiderman, Uncharted, etc. I had a PS4 years ago so I'm really looking forward to playing Uncharted again.

I subscribed to the mid tier of PS Plus and, personally, I find it a better value than Gamepass at this point of time. The reason for this goes back to my previous comment, the first party games and much cheaper when you go the yearly route than the monthly route.. Some may disagree, but this is my opinion.

Bottom line, I love the system and really looking forward to what Sony brings out in the future.
Really happy to hear your impressions have been positive so far. It's always good to see new PlayStation fans come in.

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
The launch of PSVR2 is infinitely better than its predecessor for the simple fact that it's launching with a RE game, a GT game and a Horizon game. And with a bunch of other games thrown in for good measure.

Oct 27, 2017
Really happy to hear your impressions have been positive so far. It's always good to see new PlayStation fans come in.
Actually, coming back as I had the PS1, 2, 3, and the PS4 before having issues and moving to Xbox (still have my Series X). Couldn' t use my credit card to buy any games while I had the PS4 and it was like a plane taking off every time I played, So I switched to MS at that time.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
Actually, coming back as I had the PS1, 2, 3, and the PS4 before having issues and moving to Xbox (still have my Series X). Couldn' t use my credit card to buy any games while I had the PS4 and it was like a plane taking off every time I played, So I switched to MS at that time.
Yeah I definitely don't miss my PS4. The PS5 was sort of a gift for myself for having a good college semester (plus I wanted to play Returnal).

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I definitely don't miss my PS4. The PS5 was sort of a gift for myself for having a good college semester (plus I wanted to play Returnal).
Sweet. I actually had a launch PS5 on pre-order but switched to Xbox as I had a few games I was still playing and had xbox live/gamepass subscription. I don't regret that decision; however, if I knew it would take more than 2 years later to get a hands on one due to supply shortages, I would've kept my PS5 pre order.

Icepick_1878

Nov 29, 2017
Question from an uninformed person when it comes to things like stocks. If the Sony Honda Mobility joint venture does an IPO to raise funds and whatnot and is wildly successful, does their success elevate the stocks of their parent companies too, or only the stocks for Sony Honda Mobility?

Yes, but not to the same proportion and there is no guarantee.

Lets say the market thinks Afeela has only a small chance of success and values Afeela at 2 billion(Sonys stake 1 billion). If it then is successful and IPOs at a 20 billion valuation and let's assume Sony has now a stake of 40%, Sonys stake would be worth 8 billion. Sony as a company should then be worth 7 billion more but that will happen gradually before and not on the day of the IPO. And even though Afeelas value went 10x from 2 to 20 billion, Sonys gain of 7 billion would only raise its value by 7% because they have a roughly 100 billion market cap.

After the IPO if it rises another 50% from 20 to 30 billion it would increase Sonys value by another 4 billion or 4%.

There is also no guarantee that the move in the subsidiaries stock price will be fully reflected in the parent companies stock price. If there are other bad news or the market in general has a big down day, Sonys stock could go down even while Afeelas stock price is up massively.

Slippy

Oct 23, 2021
Voted for Afeela because 2023 is looking good and I finally get to play Spider-Man 2 later this year.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Yes, but not to the same proportion and there is no guarantee.

Lets say the market thinks Afeela has only a small chance of success and values Afeela at 2 billion(Sonys stake 1 billion). If it then is successful and IPOs at a 20 billion valuation and let's assume Sony has now a stake of 40%, Sonys stake would be worth 8 billion. Sony as a company should then be worth 7 billion more but that will happen gradually before and not on the day of the IPO. And even though Afeelas value went 10x from 2 to 20 billion, Sonys gain of 7 billion would only raise its value by 7% because they have a roughly 100 billion market cap.

After the IPO if it rises another 50% from 20 to 30 billion it would increase Sonys value by another 4 billion or 4%.

There is also no guarantee that the move in the subsidiaries stock price will be fully reflected in the parent companies stock price. If there are other bad news or the market in general has a big down day, Sonys stock could go down even while Afeelas stock price is up massively.

Thanks for taking the time to explain 😃

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I think this is the year Dreams gets PC support, so they're probably busy getting that up and running. Probably also making another game since the team has expanded as well.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Genuinely blows my mind that they haven't ported it yet

It's probably a massive undertaking to port it over and integrate M+KB support, not only for creation but for folks playing existing content. Plus they could be adding additional features as part of one giant update, like MP support.

I do wonder if they're still working on allowing folks to export their content so it could potentially be sold on PSN (no doubt there'd be a review process for that)

DangerMouse

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I cannot wait for Horizon VR and No Man's Sky after
Yessss.
Can't wait to try Horizon and finally just bought No Man's Sky before the sale ends so I can use my PSVR2 on it, heard so many good things for so long about how neat it was even on PSVR1.

The launch of PSVR2 is infinitely better than its predecessor for the simple fact that it's launching with a RE game, a GT game and a Horizon game. And with a bunch of other games thrown in for good measure.
Yup.

Kaiserstarky

Oct 30, 2017
I think this is the year Dreams gets PC support, so they're probably busy getting that up and running. Probably also making another game since the team has expanded as well.
Genuinely blows my mind that they haven't ported it yet
From what someone said to me who know peoples at MM, making a PC version where the game has to be cross-play with all the content from PS4-PS5 and the content you make on PC also has to work on console is really difficult and he said it would not be a big surprise if Dreams never got a PC version at least not in the state it is right now.

It was some time ago so maybe we will be positivly surprise.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
From what someone said to me who know peoples at MM, making a PC version where the game has to be cross-play with all the content from PS4-PS5 and the content you make on PC also has to work on console is really difficult and he said it would not be a big surprise if Dreams never got a PC version at least not in the state it is right now.

I'm hoping the massive hiring spree they had in the back of last year is related to this challenge + more. They clearly have big plans and I can't imagine it'll be business as usual just at a faster clip.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Man Sony has gone really silent regarding Director's Cut / Remaster versions. I mocked them for ages but honestly after trying a bunch of the PS5 features I wouldn't mind paying $10 to upgrade some games to use them, at least the SSD speed and the haptics. My wishlist for them is probably

- Driveclub (I know it's not happening)
- Bloodborne ofc (I think it's happening this year)
- Gravity Rush 1-2
- TLOU2
- The Last Guardian
- WipEout Omega
- God of War 18
- Dreams (making stuff for the DualSense would be so cool)

I know a bunch of them already got 60FPS patches and that's great and all but I want the full thing. If anything that would probably help ease off any "anti consumer" complaints since you can get the 60FPS for free pretty much

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Man Sony has gone really silent regarding Director's Cut / Remaster versions. I mocked them for ages but honestly after trying a bunch of the PS5 features I wouldn't mind paying $10 to upgrade some games to use them, at least the SSD speed and the haptics. My wishlist for them is probably

- Gravity Rush 1-2
- TLOU2
- The Last Guardian
- WipEout Omega
- God of War 18

I know a bunch of them already got 60FPS patches and that's great and all but I want the full thing. If anything that would probably help ease off any "anti consumer" complaints since you can get the 60FPS for free pretty much
You just made me realize that a Bloodborne directors cut, remaster, whatever. Could very well win the Era GOTY.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017

- Gravity Rush 1-2
- TLOU2
- The Last Guardian
- WipEout Omega
- God of War 18

My two cents:
Driveclub - Dead also car licenses expired.
Bloodborne - Its turning 8 this year, we're basically on Remake territory now just a matter of when it will release.
Gravity Rush - Movie is development, a Collection for PC (and hopefully PS5) seems like a no brainer if the movie takes off.
TLOU2 - Probably this year, maybe after the show is done (or maybe release tied to Factions?).
Last Guardian - The dream would be an Ico Remake / ICO Trilogy Collection for PS5 including SOTC & Last Guardian.
Wipeout - No idea if this did any good but the devs of Omega have been MIA for the last few years...
GOW 18 - Probably would have gotten something before the sequel but if Horizon 1 is getting a remaster....
Dreams - No idea why this hasn't happened yet but I'm guessing there must be plans if Sony still puts the game front and center:
maxresdefault.jpg

*tinfoil hat* The background behind Ryan makes me think that we will get PS5 ports of TLOU2 and Dream this year. Otherwise why not put GT7 and Returnal, heck wheres Part 1? 🤔

Last edited:

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
How is unnecessary remake not winning for OT title! I am disappointed. I thought you all had the same self-deprecating, tongue in cheek humour that I did. OT should be about making fun of ourselves and in the industry as a whole!

Rintaro_kyoka

Aug 4, 2022
Damn and it's crazy to think that Ratchet has had at least 12 entires and it's at 27 million.
I love insomniac for this, rachet isn't a system seller but they are still doing it despite they have done spiderman who sold 33M in just 4 years 😭 , in a ideal world every big ps team would be like insomniac where they continue to produce their smaller series despite them not selling much.

Portodutch

Feb 17, 2021
After a few days with my PS5, I have to say that this will already by my main console and not the Series X.

Console itself is huge and due to my setup, it's staying horizontal, which is perfectly fine w/ me. I really like the controller and able to use the touch pad area like a mouse, esp for FF XIV online, is pretty cool. Controller feels really good as well. However, I haven't really utilize a bunch of the features of the controller..yet. So, my opinion will change on it, probably for the better I would imagine.

When I boot it up the first, time, I love how my Sony Bravia TV recognize the PS5 and worked with the system to get the optimal picture settings. What's really cool is that there is a PS logo on the input when you go to change the source input (HDMI 1, etc).

When it comes to the UI, It's a hell of a lot better than what MS did with their UI on their console; however, it took a little bet to get accustomed to it. Finding games and your library is simple enough and I like that it gives you a page of the game (activity, etc) when you hover over that game icon. Overall, the UI is more well thought out then what MS did on their console, which I like. If I can find any downside is that there are no themes.

When it comes to the store, beats MS hands down, esp on the web. I find it a lot cleaner to use and easier to find stuff.

I haven't played much games yet (watching world junior hocky tournament on TV), but what little I played of GOW Ragnarok, It's bleeping awesome. This is where Sony destroys MS, the 1st party games. honestly, besides Forza, there wasn't much 1st party games that I played. With the PS5, I have GoW, Horizon, Spiderman, Uncharted, etc. I had a PS4 years ago so I'm really looking forward to playing Uncharted again.

I subscribed to the mid tier of PS Plus and, personally, I find it a better value than Gamepass at this point of time. The reason for this goes back to my previous comment, the first party games and much cheaper when you go the yearly route than the monthly route.. Some may disagree, but this is my opinion.

Bottom line, I love the system and really looking forward to what Sony brings out in the future.

Great to hear you are enjoying it, got mine less then 3 months ago and its a great system.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Afeela good about 2023 LOL
This is the one and it's not even close. Just embodies everything about the platform right now. Great first two years but it's just hitting its stride and the best games are still on the horizon.

Gotta be feeling good as PS5 owner. GOTY quality games already and yet 2023 may be even better!

We do plenty of self-deprecating stuff, feel good OT feels good!

Last edited:

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ

This is silly design then and game should've been made with PC in mind. I don't know how you conceptualize the idea of Dreams and not realize PC is the best place for it to thrive. Like mods exist lol…

Portodutch

Feb 17, 2021
This is the one and it's not even close. Just embodies everything about the platform right now. Great first two years but it's just hitting its stride and the best games are still on the horizon.

Gotta be feeling good as PS5 owner. GOTY quality games already and yet 2023 may be even better!

I agree and a great way to start a new OT at the beginning of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.