• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Things that the public version could have that isn't in the beta but backend stuff needed to be done:

Name change
PS Now downloads for games
Gifting

I doubt gifting is happening, but the first two do make sense to update backend support for stuff to roll out for a public launch.

Otakukidd

The cutest v-tuber
Oct 25, 2017
Things that the public version could have that isn't in the beta but backend stuff needed to be done:

Name change
PS Now downloads for games
Gifting

I doubt gifting is happening, but the first two do make sense to update backend support for stuff to roll out for a public launch.
I still can't believe they don't have gifting. That's like the one thing that would make them so much money

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I don't know why they don't have it either.

I mean the Wii used to have it and Nintendo removed it for some reason.

I think their backend sucks. Their account system and regional store system just straight up sucks. Like I wouldn't be able to gift you anything if we were on different region PSN accounts. That shit is wack and Sony needs to change that tbh.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I think their backend sucks. Their account system and regional store system just straight up sucks. Like I wouldn't be able to gift you anything if we were on different region PSN accounts. That shit is wack and Sony needs to change that tbh.
Probably. But I mean Nintendo didn't include gifting on the Wii U or the Switch for some reason.

Microsoft is just now including it for Xbox.

I would like to think they'll have it for PS5, but it's so much money left on the table for all 3 platforms.

I'm curious if Steam has ever released a breakdown of how much of their sales were gifts rather than people buying stuff for themselves.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't that how it works on steam as well? IF it comes to PSN I think at least certain regions where prices are very low would be forbidden from gifting games to other regions.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
since nobody talked about this one of the wishlist that never happens:

- psone and psp games on ps4
- and all ps2 catalog available without trophy support

and why not vita games support

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Anyone here want to hook me up with a "Beta PS4 Avatar"? THese are free for users.

Shitty thing is I was part of a past beta but wasnt in on the one with the free avatar :(

Rook

Oct 30, 2017
Is anyone able to decompile the beta firmware to tell us what's in the update?

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
This thread makes me want to poke my eyes out with how unbelievably fucking ignorant about computing some people are on this site. DDoS, PSN performance threads and so on are bad, but the first page of this thread takes the cake.

Just because it doesn't have consumer facing features updates doesn't mean it doesn't need a beta in the wild to test.

The fact it's a whole number version indicates there are substantial changes being made which could cover off things like networking, services management & preparation for external changes.

But no, none of that's important because 'Wah! There's nothing immediately obvious to me therefore it's shit and I don't want it!'

And of course those are the people who'll be crying the hardest if something does go wrong.

ED_209

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Curitiba/Brazil

Well, they may have realized that it would not make sense to implement gifting until they can't give you the option to change the PSN ID.

I mean, they need to change the entire system from "userID" to "accountID" before adding gifting. A game that I won from someone needs to be associated with account number, not with my current user ID. Imagine the chaos that would be if I change my name on PSN and all my games would be blocked because the system cannot verify if I really am the owner.

Oct 25, 2017
As of right now, in case anyone was interested, this beta has NOTHING in terms of changes.

Like, I couldn't spot a single difference so far.

So I have no idea what I'm supposed to be testing. I guess just play my PS4 like normal?

Oct 31, 2017
My PS4 feels very stable after installing this beta XD.

hDY0gyv.gif

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
didn't they say in one of the last beta tests that you wouldn't be asked to sign up again and that you would just get beta notifications and can opt out?

Well I thought that was for NA accounts and that they won't get codes either. Eu accounts still get codes. But some of those who were part of both NA and EU betas didn't get invited for this beta.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
perhaps its just one of those waves things. don't want to bork us all at once

im in NA and opted in for future updates but havent gotten an invite yet either

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
i opted in for future updates and got it today, didnt do anything else. (eu)

I wonder if certain users have more privileges like having more games or having high levels or many Platinum trophies to be more eligible to get the betas.

They normally send extra codes for friends in each betas. 2 to be more exact right? Did they send them this time?

Shmunter

Banned
May 28, 2018
This thread makes me want to poke my eyes out with how unbelievably fucking ignorant about computing some people are on this site. DDoS, PSN performance threads and so on are bad, but the first page of this thread takes the cake.

Just because it doesn't have consumer facing features updates doesn't mean it doesn't need a beta in the wild to test.

The fact it's a whole number version indicates there are substantial changes being made which could cover off things like networking, services management & preparation for external changes.

But no, none of that's important because 'Wah! There's nothing immediately obvious to me therefore it's shit and I don't want it!'

And of course those are the people who'll be crying the hardest if something does go wrong.

Did you get up on the wrong side of the bed? I think people were excited for a glimpse into some quality of life improvements and are simply disappointed. No need to go for the jugular.

Moving on, I've just triggered the download and it's on Beta 2 already. Interestingly there are disclaimers all over the place that extended storage will no longer work on 5.x firmware after opting in for the 6.0 beta. Could be some kind of optimisations or most likely new security.

Deleted member 26837

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Sony: "We are testing under the hood stuff. There is nothing for you to see here"

Beta testers: "WHY IS THERE NOTHING HERE FOR ME!? Fuck you arrogant $ony!"

TimFL

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I got a mail with a code yesterday. EU user, did not sign up for this one (only did 5.50 I think). It's just one code, no friend codes this time.

I really hope it's not just name changes under the hood, couldn't care less about changing my name with every other variant of the names I use already taken.

Briarios

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did you get up on the wrong side of the bed? I think people were excited for a glimpse into some quality of life improvements and are simply disappointed. No need to go for the jugular.

Moving on, I've just triggered the download and it's on Beta 2 already. Interestingly there are disclaimers all over the place that extended storage will no longer work on 5.x firmware after opting in for the 6.0 beta. Could be some kind of optimisations or most likely new security.

Yeah, I don't remember this from previous betas - in the past, you could roll back the beta and your storage would be fine. Everything seems a bit snappier, to me ... Might be placebo, but switching folders and checking different things seems faster.

Dynamite Cop

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
I beta tested previous firmware releases, but didn't get an email for this.

I'm not a PSNow or PSVR user if that makes any difference. Also a user in the US.

BTW the sense of entitlement and bratty responses in here are pathetic lol.

Rayder

Jun 15, 2018
Cleveland, Ohio
If you're in the beta and have an external drive with games installed on it, and you have the games in folders, see if rebuilding the database still kicks all your externally installed games out of the folders.

I'll tell ya, that really annoys me to no end the way it does that. I have a 6TB external drive on mine and it's over half full......dozens upon dozens of games to re-sort back into the folders whenever I rebuild the database. UGH!

Deleted member 8688

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How come so many people apparently haven't noticed that PS4 updates are on a fixed schedule? This is numbered 6.0 because we are going into year 6 of PS4.

Also just because there are no consumer facing features doesn't mean there aren't any features. One of the PS3 updates had "no features" but we later found out it released RAM to devs and is a major reason why late games like TLOU were so impressive.

Oct 26, 2017
Essex
I wonder if certain users have more privileges like having more games or having high levels or many Platinum trophies to be more eligible to get the betas.

They normally send extra codes for friends in each betas. 2 to be more exact right? Did they send them this time?

Nope just the email, no additional codes this time around. As mentioned though, there is nothing really to see.

Been in all firmware BETAs, PS+ since start of time and a PSVR user.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Worst Major version tick ever.
Meanwhile my PS3 still can't clear the error message on boot about downloaded items and I can't transfer apps to my Vita or PSP while 2-Factor is enabled.

xICHIGOx

Oct 27, 2017
If you're in the beta and have an external drive with games installed on it, and you have the games in folders, see if rebuilding the database still kicks all your externally installed games out of the folders.

I'll tell ya, that really annoys me to no end the way it does that. I have a 6TB external drive on mine and it's over half full......dozens upon dozens of games to re-sort back into the folders whenever I rebuild the database. UGH!
Nope I've 1.72TB of games on folder and they're still here.

Mar 17, 2018

At the very least these firmware updates are graphic driver updates as well. On PC people go batshit for AMD and Nvidia updates, but on console, maybe because it is less talked about, people just seem to think the team does nothing but random shit all the time.

The PS4 OS is pretty nice now to be honest. I don't have any major needs except getting every ounce of performance they can for the Pro. And updates to graphics for older non-Pro games like Xbox does it would be very cool.

Bennibop

Oct 30, 2017
Sony are being unusually coy about this update, is does seem very much like they are testing the foundations first which makes sense. Lets see where this goes!!

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
UI is way snappier with no lag.

Opening the Video folder does have a glitch where the page loads the tiles without images then refreshes with all the images in place.

Saks for ost

Oct 27, 2017
Oslo
The PS4 menus are a slog compared to Switch and Xbox. If this fixes that with some under the hood changes, they can call it 6.0 for all I care!