Status
Not open for further replies.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Gamers for years: Ms kills old consoles too fast, they're not respecting their customers.
MS changes strategy.
Gamers: we need next-gen games now, you bastards!

2 years is until 2021 ends. Nothing truly next-gen is showing up sooner that Holidays 2021(as always...). I'm good.

I'm kind of split on this. On one hand, most of the games this gen would scale down to older hardware fine if we cut the graphics far enough, so a prettier evolution of current gen design shouldn't be anything new. However, the lack of innovation can be pointed to the lacking CPU in these systems. That won't be the case next gen though, so I would prefer to see at least some games designed entirely around the capabilities of these next gen systems.

I'm hoping this is more of some PR speak to calm concerns of people who more recently purchased their consoles or they plan to offer these games to older hardware through xcloud. I find it hard to believe, a d would ultimately be disappointed, if Hellblade 2, Fable, Forza Horizon 5, the Initiative's game, etc. we're locked down to last gen hardware.

2 years ago, if someone would have come here and said "next gen will have SSD, HW RT, at least 13TF GCN and a high end desktop CPU" you would have put it in "bullshit, hopes, dreams, and feelings speculation thread".
So...

Yeah, you either don't understand my point or just want to argue. So good day to you.

Yeah, I doubt that heavily.

NVnP7yd.jpg

I don't think it makes sense for him to openly admit he didn't have any info on the PS5 before just to start lying that he does now.

It's all good and like always anything not in person can come over as mean and so much worse than was meant. Especially if you get the feeling that you are being jumped at.

But whatever. I'm sending you this big hug from me, to you. *hugs*

Thanks and sorry again for my earlier posts.

*hugs back*

*yes I know I'm weird.

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That Brad Sams "benchmark" video is so useless it'd be funny if it wasn't so sad. How on earth is anybody meant to take the guy seriously with content like that.

And it isn't like he's not a smart guy - he knows that "random game I'm not going to tell you loads a minute faster than time I'm not going to tell you" is useless information.
Entertainingly bad. Loses you credibility points.

ostrichKing

Oct 25, 2017
Sony abandoning the ps4 in Nov?
There is a difference between abandoning a platform (which I don't believe Sony is doing- a phase out is more likely) and what apparently Xbox is doing (which seems crazy to not launch with at least a few next-gen only titles that fully take advantage of the massive CPU and GPU upgrades and showcase its capabilities). The more info that gets released the more I'm skeptical of Xbox business moves (I still think Lockhart is unwise unless massively cheaper- and if rumors are true and you can just play the same XSX games on your X or S current gen...they aren't really making a great argument on why to make an upgrade to a slightly cheaper next-gen model). I'll be getting both XSX and PS5 because I can't help myself, but can't help but worry Xbox isn't coming out with a clear strategy and value proposition for the new generation. We still don't know a ton though...

Nov 11, 2017
There is a difference between abandoning a platform (which I don't believe Sony is doing- a phase out is more likely) and what apparently Xbox is doing (which seems crazy to not launch with at least a few next-gen only titles that fully take advantage and showcase its capabilities). The more info that gets released the more I'm skeptical of Xbox business moves (I still think Lockhart is unwise unless massively cheaper- and if rumors are true and you can just play the same XSX games on your X or S current gen...they aren't really making a great argument on why to make an upgrade to a slightly cheaper next-gen model). I'll be getting both XSX and PS5 because I can't help myself, but can't help but worry Xbox isn't coming out with a clear strategy and value proposition for the new generation. We still don't know a ton though...
When you see the difference between a game like forza if its cross gen with RT 4-8K 60-120fps vs no rt 4k 60fps you will know why to upgrade lol

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Ya I feel like I'm in la la land. This is a very pro consumer move. I thought most here would be happy about this news

I don't understand how its pro consumer to sell someone a high end new console and not provide content that makes best use of it.

There is all this talk about being 'forced to buy a new console' - nobody is forced to buy anything. You want to keep your XB1 - just buy XB1 games.

Personally I want reasons to buy a new piece of hardware. And generally - the same game in higher res/framerate is not enough (although it was for mid-gen..)

Deleted member 32563

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
That Brad Sams "benchmark" video is so useless it'd be funny if it wasn't so sad. How on earth is anybody meant to take the guy seriously with content like that.

And it isn't like he's not a smart guy - he knows that "random game I'm not going to tell you loads a minute faster than time I'm not going to tell you" is useless information.

I don't think gaming is a priority for him just nice add on. He does MS news in generally.

I know folks are thirsty for news but if your source is giving out vinegar 🤷‍♂️.

natestellar

Sep 16, 2018
I'm kind of split on this. On one hand, most of the games this gen would scale down to older hardware fine if we cut the graphics far enough, so a prettier evolution of current gen design shouldn't be anything new. However, the lack of innovation can be pointed to the lacking CPU in these systems. That won't be the case next gen though, so I would prefer to see at least some games designed entirely around the capabilities of these next gen systems.

I'm in the same boat, I am just confused as to what their strategy is. Are they not interested in winning console wars anymore? Or they've thrown in the towel and gone all in on subscription service? Because, if you own any device from previous gen of Xbox family (be it launch Xbox One , Xbox One S, Xbox One X) what incentive do you have to pick a Lockhart/Anaconda at launch this fall? Over PS5? You've been assured that nothing from Xbox FP for 2 years would be missable as they'd be supported on Xbox console which you already own. It's like conceding an open goal to Sony at launch, bizarre.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but how do we know the same won't be true about Sony's first party titles? They are still going to want to support the PS4 over the next few years.

Any new FP titles from their WWS would be PS5 exclusive. Why? Proof is in the past, likes of Killzone ShadowFall, Infamous SS, Knack etc. were all PS4 exclusives. Those PS4s will be still be 'supported for next few years', just by third-party publishers out there, not WWS.

ostrichKing

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how its pro consumer to sell someone a high end new console and not provide content that makes best use of it.

There is all this talk about being 'forced to buy a new console' - nobody is forced to buy anything. You want to keep your XB1 - just buy XB1 games.

Personally I want reasons to buy a new piece of hardware. And generally - the same game in higher res/framerate is not enough (although it was for mid-gen..)
Completely agree with this. There needs to be a compelling reason to upgrade beyond some scaled up graphical features and resolution of the same current gen games. If you don't sell people on the next gen having experiences/capabilities that are beyond what you can do/get currently, what's the reason to upgrade?...and makes Lockhart at its substantially weaker rumored specs an even weirder proposition.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle

It's pro-consumer to Xbox One owners; more support more into the future... more use out of the device you bought without it becoming obsolete..MS practically abandoning their consoles in the past was anti-consumer.

It's certainly not anti-consumer to XSX buyers because nobody is tricking you into buying it or anything; the console they are selling you is not advertised to have games for it that are made exclusively for it.

It's advertised that they are working on those games for the future. So don't buy it if that's what you want to wait for.

But I'd personally.. wait to see the games that are out, the features of the new system, etc. to make a decision like that. Some cross-gen games might blow us away on next gen systems. Some exclusives might be pretty duds.

grosbard

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The majority of his audience isn't gamers.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
It's pro-consumer to Xbox One owners; more support more into the future... more use out of the device you bought without it becoming obsolete..MS practically abandoning their consoles in the past was anti-consumer.

It's certainly not anti-consumer to XSX buyers because nobody is tricking you into buying it or anything; the console they are selling you is not advertised to have games for it that are made exclusively for it.

It's advertised that they are working on those games for the future. So don't buy it if that's what you want to wait for.

But I'd personally.. wait to see the games that are out, the features of the new system, etc. to make a decision like that. Some cross-gen games might blow us away on next gen systems. Some exclusives might be pretty duds.

At the risk of being a little bit harsh - if MS wanted to show support for XB1 owners they could have done that with more first party content during the core of its active life over the last 6 years

Klaw

Nov 16, 2017
France
Completely agree with this. There needs to be a compelling reason to upgrade beyond some scaled up graphical features and resolution of the same current gen games. If you don't sell people on the next gen having experiences/capabilities that are beyond what you can do/get currently, what's the reason to upgrade?...and makes Lockhart at its substantially weaker rumored specs an even weirder proposition.

I'm not convinced that we saw games very different from what was existing before this generation (except for VR). The Witcher 3 is running on a Switch and is nothing more than the same game, but running on previous gen hardware.
But I agree that I don't really know where to put Lockhart in this case.

Xbox FanFest

Banned
Dec 30, 2019
Isn't MS going to make games at the highest quality for the new Xbox? It's going to be just like pc it seems. Seems like a lot of concern for the sake of concern. Xbox one will be low settings. Series X high of the high. Seems simple.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Any new FP titles from their WWS would be PS5 exclusive. Why? Proof is in the past, likes of Killzone ShadowFall, Infamous SS, Knack etc. were all PS4 exclusives. Those PS4s will be still be 'supported for next few years', just by third-party publishers out there, not WWS.

Well that's the worrying part. FP launch window games don't have a good track record. Let's hope that changes.

As far as I remember people were somewhat angry for the fact that MS abandoned their consoles before the next gen launch, not after.

I think that the good pro-consumer move would be "some of our first-party titles as well as all the major third-party hits will be available on X1S as well for the next couple of years", not the one quoted. I hope it's something "lost in translation" - timeframe or "applicable to X1X only", otherwise it's a bad move however you look at it.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying you're wrong, but how do we know the same won't be true about Sony's first party titles? They are still going to want to support the PS4 over the next few years.
Well, just look at history. Sony moved forward quickly with all their gens. We saw it with this one too. There isn't any need for that to change.

Big event type games that are showcases for the hardware is Sony's thing. They won't let previous hardware hamper that.

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't MS going to make games at the highest quality for the new Xbox? It's going to be just like pc it seems. Seems like a lot of concern for the sake of concern. Xbox one will be low settings. Series X high of the high. Seems simple.
It isn't concern for the sake of concern.

there are simply game design limitations for a 1.6Ghz Jaguar CPU, 8GB RAM and 1.3TF GPU. Not to mention not having an SSD so those games could not be built around an SSD.

They could have nothing that was not possible on 2013 Xbox One, we're taking double the RAM (with faster bandwidth), 10TFs+ and a huge CPU gap.

Lockhart and Anaconda are one thing, but OG Xbox would limit how the games are designed.

For example, I believe the Batmobile in Arkham Knight used like 160MB RAM. Had the game been on 360, it would have been downscaled significantly since the 360 has 512MB, not 8GB.

The RAM and CPU differences will be especially restricting. I know games scale, and yes PC games have low settings, but no one wants their cutting edge 2020-22 games held back by the PC they bought in 2013. They'd rather low settings be based on PCs of a year or two ago

Xbox FanFest

Banned
Dec 30, 2019
It isn't concern for the sake of concern.

there are simply game design limitations for a 1.6Ghz Jaguar CPU, 8GB RAM and 1.3TF GPU. Not to mention not having an SSD so those games could not be built around an SSD.

They could have nothing that was not possible on 2013 Xbox One, we're taking double the RAM (with faster bandwidth), 10TFs+ and a huge CPU gap.

Lockhart and Anaconda are one thing, but OG Xbox would limit how the games are designed.

For example, I believe the Batmobile in Arkham Knight used like 160MB RAM. Had the game been on 360, it would have been downscaled significantly since the 360 has 512MB, not 8GB.

The RAM and CPU differences will be especially restricting. I know games scale, and yes PC games have low settings, but no one wants their cutting edge 2020-22 games held back by the PC they bought in 2013. They'd rather low settings be based on PCs of a year or two ago
I guess we will all see how the games play in about 10 months or so! Exciting times ahead. Thanks for the explanation.

ostrichKing

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not convinced that we saw games very different from what was existing before this generation (except for VR). The Witcher 3 is running on a Switch and is nothing more than the same game, but running on previous gen hardware.
But I agree that I don't really know where to put Lockhart in this case.
I get what you are saying...I guess the thing is...I think of all the hardware developers, Microsoft needs a few killer exclusives the most to really convince people to jump. Nintendo gets away with being less powered because they are providing a different game experience and their game output has been on fire this gen. XBOX not having games that are fully taking advantage (and being exclusive) to next gen hardware makes it hard to convince someone they shouldn't just stay in the PS ecosystem. Lockhart just seems like a no-man's land in terms of value (especially if it turns out there aren't going to be many or any first party exclusives for the first year or two)...I could see Lockhart maybe being compelling if its substantially cheaper and if it was the way to get into the next gen exclusive Xbox games without a huge cost commitment (but if I can play slightly downgraded on a OneX the same games...whats the point?)...Who knows...I'm probably wrong about it all ha...

As for The Witcher...I don't think it sells on Switch if it weren't for the fact that it's Witcher 3 on the go. Nintendo has a very distinct experience that you can't get elsewhere.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
As far as I remember people were somewhat angry for the fact that MS abandoned their consoles before the next gen launch, not after.

Yeah sorry that's what I meant; but this is sort of the opposite of that.

Either way supporting a device with software longer is more pro consumer than stopping support.

I'm confused how this is an argument.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Dude they said a year. Most games are cross gen the first year anyways. They're gonna be putting serious work into stuff like Halo on the XSX anyways

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I think people here have been using 50 mm2 for predictions so that's good to know it would not be way off.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Sony abandoning the ps4 in Nov?
Not at all. I imagine it will be retired in 2023. Sony will see cross gen games as well.
They won't abandoning it. You will still see services, third party games and indies released on the console.
But you won't see a first party studio release anything on it. The only exception can be VR as it is considered an other platform by SONY.
Yep.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
That's as definitive a source as you'll get outside of AMD confirming a number.

Keep in mind this has all 32MB of L3 cache. Flute benchmark only had 8MB, similar to 4800H. That will save quite a bit of space. (And lower L3 access latency marginally).
I think it's the latest thing Lisa showed the other day, so 8c.

edit: what Anex said above.

Sounds good for die space anexanhume !

cc Colbert , DrKeo
Thanks. Updated my silicon layout model.

mullah88

Oct 28, 2017
But MS goal is not to sell the new boxes, it's to get ppl to sub into gamepass, in that regards this strategy makes sense. They're not forcing anyone to buy xsx. Again I don't agree with this direction but looking at what they want to accomplish, it makes sense for them to go this route. They'll not convince anyone that has a PlayStation to jump over with that strategy but maybe it's for newcomers. As for the person that asked if Sony will then abandon the PS4 after the ps5 releases? Technically they've laid the ground work for 3rd party to carry on and support the system while they move on and do the same with the ps5

AzerPhire

Oct 25, 2017

This is all next gen launch games are going to be whether its PS5 or XSX. Stop fooling yourself. Look at PS4/XB1 launch titles compares to late gen PS3 and X360 games. There was no new or magical gameplay change that suddenly appeared just because of the new gen. It takes 2-3 for devs to start really taking advantage of the new hardware and by that point MS will have transitioned off of the XB1.

Status
Not open for further replies.