• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I always had the impression that CES is about TVs and announcements of consumer-irrelevant stuff.

CES is and always has been a mosh pit of random smaller introductions vying to revive consumer interest following the holiday season. Any product that can justify its own press event will steer clear of the glut of dubious product introductions and carve out their own space. When's the last time you saw Apple introduce anything at CES? New game consoles from the largest players are likewise big business that will get dedicated events.

I subscribe to the "before GDC to stave off leaks" theory of when we will get more information. It's possible it will be just enough information in the form of another incremental reveal, or it could be the main event. My guess is that it will be the kickoff for a year filled with more information. Likely some technical details that would leak otherwise and a few demonstrations of what it means in practice, but almost certainly not a full retail slate with pricing, availability dates, launch titles, and so forth. That level of detail is more likely to make an appearance around E3 to kick off pre-orders.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
I guess we will find out in the end, in the end nobody is on the wrong until the official specs are revealed
Yeap. That's why we should be respectfully with diff opinions. Because until now is all speculation. If I will be wrong it will be fine.

But I have my point of view in what I believe. But we only know the numbers with official specs.

Do I think is impossible to be 12.1 ? Nope. But what I think more probably? 10-11

xem

Oct 31, 2017
How confident is everyone games like Destiny 2 and some other games that have current active communities that currently target 30fps, get day 1 patches to ensure 60fps and full hardware utilization of ps5/xbsx? I really dont want to wait around for those patches to trickle out. I hope the current games are ready to go with improvements when i plugin my new box(s)

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
How confident is everyone games like Destiny 2 and some other games that have current active communities that currently target 30fps, get day 1 patches to ensure 60fps and full hardware utilization of ps5/xbsx? I really dont want to wait around for those patches to trickle out. I hope the current games are ready to go with improvements when i plugin my new box(s)

The new CPUs should get games up to 60 FPS minimum in my opinion.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else think we won't get detailed GPU specs until these consoles are actually released?

We'll learn about the RAM configurations in each by E3, but I have a feeling at all the technical information about GPU cores and clock speeds won't be known until these systems have been officially launched.

SkullHydra

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Feb 20, 2018
What do you think about this oberon github leak ? Old sony plans or something else ?
You guys need to stop asking Klee questions every time he makes a post here. He's made it clear that he's not going to reveal anything else until after the consoles are officially revealed, so just give the man a break.

JonesXlv

Jun 7, 2018
I remember writing this before but I have also wondered why MS never came out with an clear cut TF figure instead of relying on multiplier. The logical deduction would be raw TF figure and multipliers are not compatible due to architectural efficiency upgrades going from GCN to Navi.

Or, ya know, they don't want to show their hand to Sony just yet... still 10 months ahead of launch.

ShaDowDaNca

Nov 1, 2017
This needs to be the case and could be a major selling point.

JonesXlv

Jun 7, 2018
Yeah the mobile part is irrelevant to me too. At least for now. Maybe it will change with cloud gaming, but we are not there yet. And I don't see it becoming a real thing on mobile to be honest. But for the PC part, without talking numbers (because of course most are for business as you said), we can't ignore that PC gaming has regained a lot of attention in the past years.
Honestly, I don't know if that's a good strategy to "abandon" some Xbox console sales to re-enter the PC gaming market. I think Microsoft did their maths and conclude that it would be good for them. At least it doesn't seem a completely dumb strategy to me (and, as a gaming PC owner, I can't say I'm not interested...).

A multi-billion dollar company did a lot more than their "maths" on this. This investment is 100% based upon reliable projections and expectations. Gamepass and Xcloud are sizable investments for the Xbox brand, and there is no way they went into either without a very clear path to profitability.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Yeah the mobile part is irrelevant to me too. At least for now. Maybe it will change with cloud gaming, but we are not there yet. And I don't see it becoming a real thing on mobile to be honest. But for the PC part, without talking numbers (because of course most are for business as you said), we can't ignore that PC gaming has regained a lot of attention in the past years.
Honestly, I don't know if that's a good strategy to "abandon" some Xbox console sales to re-enter the PC gaming market. I think Microsoft did their maths and conclude that it would be good for them. At least it doesn't seem a completely dumb strategy to me (and, as a gaming PC owner, I can't say I'm not interested...).

Yeah, console + PC as the focus makes sense.

It seems Microsoft's endgame for xCloud is to support on-screen controls, but for testing they are staying with hardware controller.

And they made the right choice. Onscreen controls is dogshit, especially for games designed around analogue stick controls.

This is an IHS integrated heat spreader on the left. It's usually soldered on to the die. It usually covers the die as well as the rest of the PCB. The die is copper in color because they probably used an actual copper finishing layer then smoothed it I'm guessing.

This was the missing piece of the puzzle for me. Thanks.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
what do you make of the theory posted here that we might not hear console specs until early summer due to having to wait for AMD to possibly announce Big Navi, possibly in June?
Sony was allowed to talk about PS5 and even mentioned raytracing before any official Navi announcements were made by AMD. I imagine Sony and MS can freely talk about their own products, they just sometimes coordinate with AMD on feature disclosure.

Aug 26, 2019
What the fuck? If Sony skips E3 altogether (or doesn't do their own event along side it) I would be worried about the state of their brains.
I'm sure it'll be before June and I'm also sure that they'll be at E3. What I don't know about is the format of the reveal. PS Meeting? 5 minute YT video dropped on a random day in March? One last Wired article in April to cover the hardware and then games games games at E3?

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
I love this fan-made mock up of a PS5 Box art

by6fivkfwe941.png

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure it'll be before June and I'm also sure that they'll be at E3. What I don't know about is the format of the reveal. PS Meeting? 5 minute YT video dropped on a random day in March? One last Wired article in April to cover the hardware and then games games games at E3?
I expect it to be a big PS Meeting. PlayStation hasn't had a major event since E3 2018 and even that was muted compared to their previous showings. This is an opportunity for them to come out strong leading into the new gen and an opportunity for Jim Ryan to make a statement as the new head of PS.

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
God damn that looks slick. I hope they go with the black cases because this looks perfect, and thats coming from someone whose gone 99 percent digital with their games
Agreed, i miss the slick black look of the box arts from the PS3 days.

I'll be honest, I sort of like the idea of a succinct and concise hardware reveal via an 8 minute video dropped on a random day, then a games blowout at E3. Then again, something meaty and satisfying like the PS Meeting is also welcome.
Yeah for me it's more of a personal taste, really prefer the live stuff with live reactions from the crowd as opposed to a pre recorded video stream, been like that since Nintendo decided to forgo the live approach and go the direct route for E3.

Patent

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jul 2, 2018
North Carolina
I'll be honest, I sort of like the idea of a succinct and concise hardware reveal via an 8 minute video dropped on a random day, then a games blowout at E3. Then again, something meaty and satisfying like the PS Meeting is also welcome.
I feel like they want something more grandiose that has lots of reactions streams, if its that small i'm not sure how much they get out of all that, but i personally welcome it

Aug 26, 2019
I expect it to be a big PS Meeting. PlayStation hasn't had a major event since E3 2018 and even that was muted compared to their previous showings. This is an opportunity for them to come out strong leading into the new gen and an opportunity for Jim Ryan to make a statement as the new head of PS.
One of the things that Albert mentioned earlier today is that MS is dripfeeding info for Project Scarlett over a long period of time, as opposed to one big reveal closer to release. Do you think MS and Sony possibly did (or found) some research that indicated the "dripfeed" was a better marketing strategy to sustain hype/interest in the long-term?

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
How realistic is that oberon is lower tier ps5 without rt and Klee saw specs for higher tier ps5 ? (just like xsx and Lockhart)

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
One of the things that Albert mentioned earlier today is that MS is dripfeeding info for Project Scarlett over a long period of time, as opposed to one big reveal closer to release. Do you think MS and Sony possibly did (or found) some research that indicated the "dripfeed" was a better marketing strategy to sustain hype/interest in the long-term?
I think a PS meeting doesn't preclude a drip feed approach. Say there's a meeting in February. Detail the hardware there, go over main features, give a taste of games. A few weeks later is GDC, lots of tech demos and presentations talking up the hardware, E3 a couple months later with price and preorders with continued game coverage up until launch.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
It's a spec thread, one of the only places that raw performance is the most important metric. SSD is important, 3D audio is important as well. Do we have hard numbers or reasonable speculation about load times or quantifiable differences in 3d audio vs Dolby Atmos etc? Those are definitely things we can talk about. Let's not pretend that we don't care about power at all though. In THIS thread sales numbers shouldn't mean anything. It's fun to guess price but that's all it is.

At the end if the day I fall in the camp of, if both are ~ the same power they cost the same ($500) if one is reasonably stronger it will cost more. Game libraries, sales figures, ecosystems are irrelevant to this thread.

Lol no they're not, and it's certainly not up to you to decide

Patent

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jul 2, 2018
North Carolina
Like Deep Impact/ Armageddon, i think it certainly keeps interest among the hardcore at an all time high, beyond that i feel like your big events like e3 or reveal events is where you can get the mainstream press and get out to the casuals, a mix is probably the best approach

Status
Not open for further replies.