• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MykhellMikado

Alt account
Banned
Jan 13, 2020
XSX is roughly equivelant to 17.25 TF GCN

and for lockhart, 4 TF would be 5.75 TF (so lockhart, if it exists, would probably be 4.2TF or higher as it doesn't fully line up with X1X)

PS5 @ 9.2 TF would be 13.225 TF

also MykhellMikado sorry you were right they did announce 15% perf improvement over RDNA1

I actually estimated 25% so I was wrong but in the grand scheme of things 40% boost from GCN to RDNA is magnificent!

Oct 27, 2017
Personally I don't think it would be $299 at launch or that it wouldn't have a disc drive. The point of a lower cost machine is to keep the latest and greatest a little more accessible for those "tier 2" countries and emerging economies , who are extremely unlikely to have a 4K requirement. A lack of disc drive isn't going to facilitate those migrating from an Xbox One in those specific places.
...I still can't believe that MS ever publicly referred to territories as tier 2. That is such a huge marketing mistake that it still surprises me 7 years later. Even if objectively from a stock standpoint you need to launch in several stages and prioritise higher margin regions than others, its definitely not a thing you would phrase the way they did.

Who would ever respond well to you and your (likely underdog product) when you are referring to their county as "tier 2"? They should have just said something like second stage or second wave launches which are still accurate but obviously much less insulting.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

and for lockhart, 4 TF would be 5.75 TF (so lockhart, if it exists, would probably be 4.2TF or higher as it doesn't fully line up with X1X)

also MykhellMikado sorry you were right they did announce 15% perf improvement over RDNA1

My tinfoil hat theory if the PS5 ends up being 9.2 would be that the insiders that said the XSX was slightly weaker than the PS5 saw the 13 GCN number for PS5 and the 12 TF RDNA2 number for the Series X and didn't know the technical differences.

Deleted member 10747

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i thought it was pretty clear, i think you meant to quote my previous post regarding 399 or 499 ps5 vs 299/499 xbox /s/x?
Pfff I'm tired.. I think so too.... Honestly i forgot that i responded to you lmao.. Was a surprise that you quoted me... Sorry for that.
It literally says no matter what mistakes Sony could make it would still dominate worldwide. I think Sony is swell too but, like...you gotta relax fam lol
What about my post did you get that i was anything other than relaxed? Strange way to communicate.. Honestly i got more of a problem how you are phrasing that "mistake" lol.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
i think you were only about .5 TF off the mark so it's not that bad

it's 43.75% improvement (25% improvement on GCN + 15% improvement on RDNA1)
While AMD officially said 25% vega to RDNA1, if we compare to Polaris, its around 30% from all the tests i saw, and polaris is more relevant considering 1) it has 40CU chip so the comparison is better 2) the pro consoles uses polaris

foxbeldin

Oct 27, 2017
My tinfoil hat theory if the PS5 ends up being 9.2 would be that the insiders that said the XSX was slightly weaker than the PS5 saw the 13 GCN number for PS5 and the 12 TF RDNA2 number for the Series X and didn't know the technical differences.
Didn't klee say both were rdna on his spec sheet?

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
That only works as long no Sony dev simply starts lowering their internal resolution to boost the graphics. Sure the lockhart could possibly do the same @1080p as the Series X in native 4k but what if you design a game in 1080P and use the whole TFs to up the graphics up to 11?

Series X could do the same but Lockhart couldn't. I don't think ms would want to see sub 720p on their new shiny console just to compete with sony.
I just really doubt that any console game developer is going to keep developing for 1080p as the main resolution when they have GPUs with 9-12 TFLOPS to play with. Not to mention that it is harder to buy a 1080p TV these days then a 4k TV just due to most manufacturers having phased 1080p out as 4k panels get cheaper and cheaper. Even the best looking Sony exclusives from this last generation took advantage of the extra resolution power given by the PS4 Pro instead of just ramping graphic affects.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
While AMD officially said 25% vega to RDNA1, if we compare to Polaris, its around 30% from all the tests i saw, and polaris is more relevant considering 1) it has 40CU chip so the comparison is better 2) the pro consoles uses polaris

Because technically you could make the Vega run efficiently, but you had to do it in a specific way so it's not idling

that's why outside of IPC improvement, you'll see gains on top of it all. It's just not something you can measure easily because different games run better or worse depending on how well optimized it was

What is the minutes of the conference they told this?

and this I don't know I totally missed it... I saw people on B3D talking about it but now looking at the thread again they may be mistaken. Perhaps there's no improvement afterall? I really don't want to watch over it all over again to confirm

edit: we do have improved IPC but no confirmed number as shown here https://images.anandtech.com/doci/15591/Navi2x_PPW.png

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Just a request to everyone. While 4chan rumors aren't explicitly disallowed, we ask that you not use direct links to 4chan. Just grab screencaps.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017

I actually estimated 25% so I was wrong but in the grand scheme of things 40% boost from GCN to RDNA is magnificent!
i think you were only about .5 TF off the mark so it's not that bad

it's 43.75% improvement (25% improvement on GCN + 15% improvement on RDNA1)
When did you see any statistic of perf/flop?

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
That would fail. If it's an accessory it does nothing for sales. Look at HD DVD drive.

it really should have a disc drive. It's too cheap to cut for how much impact it would have on its target market, cost-conscious consumers.

What? HD DVD drive was a niche product that very few people could make use of and in the middle of a format war that it ended up losing. Not comparable in the least.

Cost conscious consumers are exactly who is being targeted with a digital-only (i.e., Game Pass) strategy. Hundreds of games for $10/mo. The pitch is clear: "Series S plays all your Game Pass titles, no discs needed! If you do want to play old discs or buy used games at the store, you can get an external drive for just $XX at any major retailor." MS will be driven to get the sticker price as low as possible to get people on board the Game Pass train, and cutting the drive will help them do that.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know he said that, just trying to figure out how the Insiders could have gotten things wrong if the PS5 specs end up below what they said they were.

No insiders aside from Klee has given any number for PS5.
Which he said 10+ everyone else they are close or one has slight edge over the other .
So when the PS5 number comes out we will see what they mean by close.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
What mental gymnastics am I performing? If the PS5 ends up being below 12 Teraflops then he either had bad info or lied, so I'm trying to figure out why that happened.

You're trying to figure out why something happened that hasn't happened yet. Just so we're clear.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
No insiders aside from Klee has given any numbers PS5.
Which he said 10+ everyone else they are close or one has slight edge over the other .
So when the PS5 number comes out we will see what they mean by close.
No explicit numbers, but, can be deducted that the number was >12.
  • Both above 10
  • PS5 slightly more powerful in TF
  • Both RDNA
  • Not surprised after the 12TF announcement from MS, his previous statements did not change

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Pfff I'm tired.. I think so too.... Honestly i forgot that i responded to you lmao.. Was a surprise that you quoted me... Sorry for that.

What about my post did you get that i was anything other than relaxed? Strange way to communicate.. Honestly i got more of a problem how you are phrasing that "mistake" lol.

I found the unfounded blind defense funny 🤷🏾‍♂️ Also, "You gotta relax" is just a phrase. Just means slow down for a second. Or maybe you meant to completely misread the situation in which case, have a blast!

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
It`s deeply offending that statement. It implies PS5 is not for us but for our children. We have been buying all gamesystems there is up until now and feel the PS5 is OURS and we are entitled to feel this and not hand it off to those new gamers.

Can we Sue? Asking for a friend.
Definitely time for a class action! These microaggressions will not stand, man!

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
No explicit numbers, but, can be deducted that the number was >12.
  • Both above 10
  • PS5 slightly more powerful in TF
  • Both RDNA
  • Not surprised after the 12TF announcement from MS, his previous statements did not change

Oh i know i mostly talking about the others that say they close and give no number .
When PS5 specs drop we will see what they mean and if they were right.

Ivanovic

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder Sony execs think when they see that leaked ugly-looking dev kit everywhere as the face of their next-gen console.
Maybe that's what will force them into revealing it. Let's make the placeholder ps5 as ugly as possible that the general public will start thinking that's what it actually looks like, forcing Sony's hand.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
yes so stop making calculation from ass

It just turns into (GCN equiv)

XSX: 15TF+
PS5: 11.5TF+
Lockhart: 5TF+ (4.8TF to match X1X)

but you must not forget this doesn't account for something like VRS which is in 20-30% range improved perf so these consoles will be performing beyond what I stated anyways.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Oh i know i mostly talking about the others that say they close and give no number .
When PS5 specs drop we will see what they mean and if they were right.
Jason Schreier did say they were both targeting over Stadia's TF number (not performance metric). So we can infer > 10.7TF (number).
He also said they were really close and above 2080 super performance.

So two who 'gave' us a number range.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
Maybe that's what will force them into revealing it. Let's make the placeholder ps5 as ugly as possible that the general public will start thinking that's what it actually looks like, forcing Sony's hand.

I think the reason they haven't released anything yet is because they don't feel they have to.

PS4 is having an absolutely corking year. Dreams, FFVII, Last of US 2 and GoT are all going to absolutely destroy it, PS4 is likely to be >110 million units by years end.

They are in the driving seat here, they have nothing to prove.

I wouldn't take their silence as indicative of anything, they are in the driving seat when it comes to next gen.

Deleted member 10747

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I found the unfounded blind defense funny 🤷🏾‍♂️ Also, "You gotta relax" is just a phrase. Just means slow down for a second. Or maybe you meant to completely misread the situation in which case, have a blast!
Blind defense? meant to misread the situation? Dude wtf...

yeah if there is one that needs to calm down and step back it's probably you... I have no clue why you are upset but wow....

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
Jason Schreier did say they were both targeting over Stadia's TF number (not performance metric). So we can infer > 10.7TF (number).
He also said they were really close and above 2080 super performance.

So two who 'gave' us a number range.

I don't get how so many people are dismissing Jason Schreier, they guy with the best track record of leaks in the entire industry.

He is basically almost never wrong.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I think the reason they haven't released anything yet is because they don't feel they have to.

PS4 is having an absolutely corking year. Dreams, FFVII, Last of US 2 and GoT are all going to absolutely destroy it, PS4 is likely to be >110 million units by years end.

I wouldn't take their silence as indicative of anything, they are in the driving seat when it comes to next gen.

Yep there is no need to rush things .
People were saying we getting no Sony news and yesterday we got TLOU TV show and GOT date .
They have a very stack next few months just counting exclusive add in 3rd party and IMO this could go down as one of the best years in gaming ever .

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
WTF? Did we suddenly turn a corner on GPU gains or something? Is AMD getting competitive with RDNA finally forcing Nvidia to work for our dollars in earnest?
Nvidia has always had the better tech in the GPU space, not sure what you mean by earning our dollars. And ya, 7nm happened, that's why we'll be seeing big gains in performance.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Blind defense? meant to misread the situation? Dude wtf...

yeah if there is one that needs to calm down and step back it's probably you... I have no clue why you are upset but wow....

Upset about what? You thought a post was saying something that it wasn't and answered it on the defensive. I basically told you to chill because you were barking up a non-existent tree and...here we are. There's nothing to be mad about lol. I think you took my saying "relax" as a term of aggression or something. Me, you and the other poster are all saying the same thing; Sony will likely dominate next gen.

Gohlad

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

They are waiting for PS4 sales to hit around 120 million, so that they can finally use the prepared slide in their presentation, where they transition the 120 million number to a 12 for 12TF for PS5. LOL All the silence and waiting makes sense now! They want to get the final sales boost with this years blockbuster games!

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I wonder Sony execs think when they see that leaked ugly-looking dev kit everywhere as the face of their next-gen console.

Much like the 9.2 rumours they're probably loving it. Since when they announce both aspects are better everyone will be impressed. The rumors are basically creating an "under promise/over deliver" scenario...and that's something money can't buy.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
Tinfoil hat theory or wishful thinking? We might never find out.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna

This amazing final PS4 year is probably the best PS5 marketing what Sony can do.

People got again a console with top 1st party games until the end of the gen and that will give them a lot of confidence for the PS5.
Especially for a PS5 which has BC :)

Grayson

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
no matter how hot MS comes out, or what mistakes sony makes with ps5 (don't read into this statement - its to make a point only), playstation is surely going to dominate worldwide next gen too.
I said this last week and caught a ban for days. Even thought it's basic knowledge. 🤣

Status
Not open for further replies.