Votes: 116 18.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We actually know they can access each Workgroup processors individually. There is no need for that 54 CU / 3 SE theory. They can have any additional WGP they want and still access the others 9 / 18 WGP for the BC functions.
Yep, Cerny isn't an idiot. There is a zero percent change he went with just 36CUs. He went with at least 54CUs, I guarantee it.

Oct 31, 2019
So what is the theory on BC for those 2 scenarios?

36CU variant: Disable 1SE for PS4 and just different clocks for PS4Pro? This sounds very wierd. I cannot believe this could be real.

54CU variant: I am just lost here....doesn't we know they arent doing BC with SW? So how? My bet would be a separate chip like they did for PS1 BC on PS2, but please endulge me. This feels more true then 36CU tho, Im either on this or a 3SE variant until we know more.
SE gating disabling CUs on hw level. Disable 3 SE for PS4. Disable 2 for PS4Pro but if the game is patched go for max available speed @2GHz for Boost Mode. Native PS5 is 4 SE, 4608SUs, final speed is probably not set in stone, likely >1620MHz (Github is at least good for one thing). You have to remember when power gating part of iGPU, you can go higher sustained clock speeds ie 2GHz figure. If all available parts are active, then you have a thermal ceiling limiting you to lower speeds.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
people who didn't bet already for the PS5 reveal date and believe it is a specific TF count should place an avatar bet for once said specs are revealed

if the console is more then 9.2 or whatever 9 range TF count then the people who bet it was should all have Mark Cerny avis lol

or maybe a tag saying "but Github"

Ashen one

Feb 20, 2020
We actually know they can access each Workgroup processors individually. There is no need for that 54 CU / 3 SE theory. They can have any additional WGP they want and still access the others 9 / 18 WGP for the BC functions.

Could you elaborate on this. How would it look in a 2SE 48 active CU scenario for PS4 and PRO?

Oct 31, 2019
54CUs as 3SEs, each one with 18CUs. One enabled for PS4, two for PS4Pro and all of them for PS5. Note that isn't the only way to get the right number of CUs. Can also be done with 2SEs but with 6 SAs, assuming one can disable an entire SA (and since going through some Navi Vulkan documentation, I'm very inclined to believe it to be the case). That could lead to either 52, 56 or 60 CUs.
You are still thinking small in terms of RDNA 1, it can go bigger with RDNA 2 along the lines of 72.

Oct 27, 2017
The theory behind 54 CU goes like this.

1. PS5 has three Shader Engines.
2. Each Shader engine has 20 CU. Making the total active chip 54 CU with 6 disabled.
3. 1 Shader Engine is disabled for PS4 Pro , 2 Shader Engines are disabled for PS4.
4. In backwards compatibility mode, the GPU can clock up to 2ghz for 36 CUs for boost mode.

This is my read on Github.
Maybe something like:

"PS4 mode" — 18CU standard PS4 clocks for games that have no PS4P support.
"PS4 Pro mode" — 36CU standard PS4P clocks with existing compatibility caveats of PS4 games.
"PS4 Pro boost mode" — new hypothetical 36CU @ up to 2ghz for games that already had support for things like unlocked frame rate / dynamic resolution / super-sampling etc. If your game has user choice of modes that prioritise "performance" or "IQ", this could probably get you both.
"PS5 Mode" — Hypothetical 54CU mode for native games, most likely lower than 2ghz though.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's not explicitly a specs thread. It revolves around specs when there's nothing else to discuss. When the games are revealed we'll be talking about them.
Can't say speculation without spec :p
Maybe something like:

"PS4 mode" — 18CU standard PS4 clocks for games that have no PS4P support.
"PS4 Pro mode" — 36CU standard PS4P clocks with existing compatibility caveats of PS4 games.
"PS4 Pro boost mode" — new hypothetical 36CU @ up to 2ghz for games that already had support for things like unlocked frame rate / dynamic resolution / super-sampling etc. If your game has user choice of modes that prioritise "performance" or "IQ", this could probably get you both.
"PS5 Mode" — Hypothetical 54CU mode for native games, most likely lower than 2ghz though.
I am not an expert on yields, but wouldn't that mean you would need 36CUs that can reach 2ghz clock and additional 18CU that can reach some probably lower clock? Would be interesting how would that work in terms of yields.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
I am a primarily Xbox first owner but I have every generation of both.

I really think the "if it's 9 TF it's a disaster" opinion is over blown.

Devs and engineers are getting so much better at these "checkerboard", dyanmic res, upscale tech that I don't think hardcore gpu numbers will be as visible as they previously were.

Spiderman and Death Stranding were just as incredible looking visually as redline maxed out Xbox games.

With such a huge leap in CPU, RAM and SSD solutions. We wont see any huge disparity like the poor performance of launch Xbox One v PS4.

eebster

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
As someone who has no technical knowledge about consoles and console making, can someone eli5 why Sony can only do PS4 BC with 36 CUs? Why do they need to match the CU amount of the PS4? And why does this restriction not apply to the XSX?

Also I read here a few days ago that a GPU with 3 SEs was not possible. Why?

d3ckard

Dec 7, 2017
people who didn't bet already for the PS5 reveal date and believe it is a specific TF count should place an avatar bet for once said specs are revealed

if the console is more then 9.2 or whatever 9 range TF count then the people who bet it was should all have Mark Cerny avis lol

I would be willing to take the bet that PS5 is up to 10.5(I expect lower, but just to be on safe side). Cerny avatar until PS5 releases, Spencer avatar for the other side until XSX releases. Any takers?

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
As someone who has no technical knowledge about consoles and console making, can someone eli5 why Sony can only do PS4 BC with 36 CUs? Why do they need to match the CU amount of the PS4? And why does this restriction not apply to the XSX?

It seems Sony's BC solution is different than MS.

Xbox one play bc by running vm with xbox360 software.

Sony apparently is making the hw act like the ps4 to run the game.

could be wrong, but thats how I understand it.

STech

Sep 24, 2018
36CUs at 1850 mhz... kill me if that's true. And I'm subscribed to PS+ until 2023... yikes

Oct 31, 2019
MS didn't give spec sheet or detailed info for XSX, just said 12 TF, so why on earth everyone assumes they've just 54-56 CUs on the die? Also is it assumed that tower form factor is going to provide better cooling solution while we don't know PS5's form factor?

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's kinda funny some people are worried they won't show teraflops at the PS5 reveal. If they have Horizon 2 and a demo of The Last of Us 2 running on the PS5 looking jaw-dropping then why would they need to? The entire point of the specs is pave the way for amazing games that inspire us. If anything, showing amazing looking games without tech numbers would still be better than all of the Xbox Series X reveals to date. In the end, it's all about the games. The specs are just there to serve them.

I remember back in the run up to GameCube and PS2 days we were endlessly debating specs, but once the amazing games showed up it made the debates seem really silly.
Hey, plenty of people succumbed to the amazing PS2 specs marketing chant, while ignoring the more beautiful and fun gamecube games (Rogue leader, Super Monkey ball) but also the amazing games already available on Dreamcast (Soul Calibur, Shenmue, Toy Commander).

PS2 specs rarely realized their pre-launch marketing hype except for a few rare exclusives released years later.
Could you elaborate on this. How would it look in a 2SE 48 active CU scenario for PS4 and PRO?
It's in the github. They test the WGPs individually the same way they test groups of 9 and 18 WGPs. Testing the WGP individually means they can access the WGPs the way they want.

Jesus guys, just take it easy. Sony will have info soon enough.
Hey, we already heard that one. I think many would disagree about Sony definition of 'soon'.

Ashen one

Feb 20, 2020
We don't know that, no.

54CUs as 3SEs, each one with 18CUs. One enabled for PS4, two for PS4Pro and all of them for PS5. Note that isn't the only way to get the right number of CUs. Can also be done with 2SEs but with 6 SAs, assuming one can disable an entire SA (and since going through some Navi Vulkan documentation, I'm very inclined to believe it to be the case). That could lead to either 52, 56 or 60 CUs.

x2702cg.jpg

This is interesting, so you cant disable CUs "on the fly" but you can disable SAs? Are there other combinations like 8SAs per SE?

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
When awesome looking games like Uncharted 4 + Lost Legacy, God of War, Spider-Man, The Last of Us 2 and Ghost of Tsushima, exist on 1.84Tflop hardware, I don't think there's much to worry about with a 8TF, 9.2TF or 12TF PS5 tbh.

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017

In other words-paper launch.

Pretty much everyone has been saying this, lol a hunch.

If there is a delay, Sony/MS will wait until as late as they can to announce it, but AMD literally JUST said that both consoles would be out this year. I'd imagine they'd have as good an idea as anyone

Oct 27, 2017

Short version is that PS4 GPU is is made up of 18 units. When Cerny & team were designing the Pro they wanted to keep it simple for the system to switch from a standard PS4 mode to an enhanced PS4 mode so games that weren't designed for the enhanced mode wouldn't do weird shit unintentionally. The solution they came up with was to just double the GPU setup from 18 units to 36. That way if you play a game that isn't designed for the enhanced mode, the system can just switch half of it off and as far as the game is concerned, its just running on a regular PS4.

I'm oversimplifying but thats the jist of it. So now people are thinking about ideas for how the PS5 could work, and one of the theories is that Cerny & team would have to continue to use 36 units but much faster than before, and either slow down to match the old speeds or switch off half the units like before (this is what the GitHub leak suggests). Another common theory is that they will go up by another multiple of 18 and either have 54 or 72 units, and just switch off as many as they need to for the game to believe its just running on an older console.

Can't say speculation without spec :p

I am not an expert on yields, but wouldn't that mean you would need 36CUs that can reach 2ghz clock and additional 18CU that can reach some probably lower clock? Would be interesting how would that work in terms of yields.
I'm not attached to the 2ghz number tbh, I'm just throwing it out there because it came up as one of the Oberon test clocks. Not needing all parts to hit top speed could help yields but like I said, its just a number I threw out there because of the old tests.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
The theory behind 54 CU goes like this.

1. PS5 has three Shader Engines.
2. Each Shader engine has 20 CU. Making the total active chip 54 CU with 6 disabled.
3. 1 Shader Engine is disabled for PS4 Pro , 2 Shader Engines are disabled for PS4.
4. In backwards compatibility mode, the GPU can clock up to 2ghz for 36 CUs for boost mode.

This is my read on Github.
This just seems like such an elegant solution for bc but still maximizing power. Seems very likely the solution that could be used.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017

People saying 8 or 9 don't really believe it.

Which is why they won't bet lol

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I have a question, what is Arden linked to in github? Nav12, 10?

Remember hmqgg said it didn't have RDNA 2? And said Nav12 responding to someone on Twitter?

Before some ppl freak out, this isn't about questioning his credibility. I just wanna know what Arden is linked to in github.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I have a question, what is Arden linked to in github? Nav12, 10?

Remember hmqgg said it didn't have RDNA 2? And said Nav12 responding to someone on Twitter?

Before some ppl freak out, this isn't about questioning his credibility. I just wanna know what Arden is linked to in github.
That codename is not found in GitHub, only Arden. It is suspected to be Navi 21 Lite.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017

In other words-paper launch.

I think that would mean a delay for big first party games though. Makes more sense to release them when you actually have decent console sales as you don't need them at launch to drive numbers and launch games always need more time anyways.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
I think that would mean a delay for big first party games though. Makes more sense to release them when you actually have decent console sales as you don't need them at launch to drive numbers and launch games always need more time anyways.
It would also have big impact on next gen games from 3rd party publishers,we can expect further delays i think.

Status
Not open for further replies.