• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Would the people who post games actually post in both threads?
Again, no. They would only post in the "announcements only" thread.
It seems inevitable that game posting will mostly happen in the announcements thread and the discussion thread likely will die immediately and then the discussion will come back to the announcements thread and the whole thing starts over
It only seems "inevitable" if people refuse to both read the OP title (where it will be clearly stated) AND the very big red bold letters that will be in the OP. These hypothetical people will then get rightfully threadbanned, solving the issue.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I think the two-thread solution will work. I don't think I'll like it as much as what we have now, because I like to read the discussion and I think there'll be far less of it in a separate thread. And I generally don't like to drive the discussion (I don't and won't play most of these games, so I don't have much value to add) so I won't be able to help keep the discussion thread healthy.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not understanding why anyone would care about the discussion thread. People only comment because they are already in this thread in the first place. Implementing that will end up with the same result as just banning discussions in this thread.

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I'm RLTTP on this thread, but I find it easy enough to quickly scroll through to find the free games since everyone is tidy about embed linking to them so they're easy to spot. I don't mind the discussion. I echo the "it is a discussion forum after all" comments. I check the thread daily now for the Epic games deal going on, but otherwise maybe every couple days.

Weltall Zero Thank you for this thread. Please don't take opposing opinions as personal attacks (unless they are - I haven't read all of them). This is a video game forum. Hell hath no fury like a gamer scorned (in whatever unreasonably eye rolling ways lol)

Tsaki

Feb 12, 2019
Hey. This is my first post on Era. Thank you for the thread and everyone else who posts the giveaways and free games, I try to redeem everything that is being posted here. And I agree with you about having the discussions in a second thread. My thinking is that every time there is a notification on my feed I have to click it, because there are giveaways that last for less than half a day so there is a chance to miss out if I don't. But when discussions happen, I click expecting to see a new game but it's not that. So now it goes: do I check this thread every time I visit Era or do I do it once per day and "risk" missing on very-limited-time giveaways?

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
this thread barely gets posts anyways. no reason to make two threads. its easy enough to scroll thru to find the posts about free games

Scottt

Oct 25, 2017
I cruise this thread, and personally I don't mind the conversation.

One option would be to have some specified formatting for games posts/links so that they are noticeable when scrolling around. For example, it could include an image of the game or have bolded text or something cute.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
Sure it gets annoying when there are 10 posts about something and no game but as long as it about the specific acquiring of the game I am ok with it.

the super long discussion and even the discussion about not discussing (similar to if twitch prime should be included in this thread) is not something I care for at all

in short, it's ok to discuss stuff, but keep it brief and on topic. Make a new thread for philosophical discussions or any posts above 100 words. And put a link here.

It doesn't have to be a single mega thread for our free game discussion. It can be multiple threads. We are on a forum, let's use the whole forum lol

Oct 25, 2017
I cruise this thread, and personally I don't mind the conversation.

One option would be to have some specified formatting for games posts/links so that they are noticeable when scrolling around. For example, it could include an image of the game or have bolded text or something cute.
This isn't a bad idea either, something like Threadmarking or having bold red text for free games, but that still has the issue of sending alerts to ppl watching the thread.

-Hyperion-

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 14, 2021
Something to consider:

asd4.png

The views to comments ratio is 185:1, so it's clear what most members use this thread for. Not sure what other thread has such a lopsided ratio aside from those with 1 or 2 posts.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
What is it that started all this anyway? I don't even see a problem that was there.
Pretty sure it started when I questioned the rule.
With all due respect, I think this is a lame rule. IMO, there aren't that many distracting messages here and they're on topic. But I'll leave it at that if people really want zero discussion.
It is unfortunate that it's gotten rather heated, but I still feel the same.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
If two threads were created one of them would just fall into disuse and everything would continue in a single thread like it does now anyways. Discussion here has been rarely that disruptive. The most disruptive has, ironically, been this mess.

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
The only reason people are here right now making a mess is because there a games given out every day because of Epic and holidays, making this thread particularly hot right now for new people. Once this period is over most of these crowds that don't care about how pleasant this thread has been for us for years now and just want to assert their opinions on what a thread should be will be long gone again. We just gotta accept it's gonna be a shitshow here this month cause people just don't care.

There are other threads for discussions btw, here's one for Epic's thing right now for example. Other giveaways that would have anything to discuss about it usually get their own topics as well.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ru...nd-the-first-one-is-shenmue-iii.525198/page-7

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
I would never in a million years think to "subscribe/watch" a thread. That's never how I've used or would ever use a message board. If it weren't for conversations bumping this thread, I'd never see it, and therefore make the thread a graveyard of expired deals for the (likely few and far between) times I happen to luck out see it on the front page.

It would make the whole thing useless, just to declutter things for the handful of people that treat a message board like an email inbox (which always seemed bizarre to me in the first place).

Last edited:

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
I would never in a million years think to "subscribe/watch" a thread. That's never how I've used or would ever use a message board. If it weren't for conversations bumping this thread, I'd never see it, and therefore make the thread a graveyard of expired deals for the (likely few and far between) times I happen to luck out see it on the front page.

It would make the whole thing useless, just to declutter things for the handful of people that treat a message board like an email inbox (which always seemed bizarre to me in the first place).
Sounds like you should watch the thread? It's actually a really useful and non-intrusive way (provided you don't use the spammy notifications) to keep up to date on threads that interest you. "Regular pointless bumping of a thread is good because I refuse to take advantage of modern forum features" is a weird take, tbh.

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
"Regular pointless bumping of a thread is good because I refuse to take advantage of modern forum features" is a weird take, tbh.
I feel the exact opposite. There are countless other services and social media accounts that can be the RSS feed that people are looking for. Message boards are for people talking about stuff. Trying to erase discussion in favor of something that you could get a thousand other places would make this whole thread pointless.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
I feel the exact opposite. There are countless other services and social media accounts that can be the RSS feed that people are looking for. Message boards are for people talking about stuff. Trying to erase discussion in favor of something that you could get a thousand other places would make this whole thread pointless.
ok, but have you ever watched a thread? it's not anything like an RSS feed. at its most basic, it's just collecting all the threads you want in your own personalized subforum that you can look at occasionally and see if there are any new posts

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
ok, but have you ever watched a thread? it's not anything like an RSS feed. at its most basic, it's just collecting all the threads you want in your own personalized subforum that you can look at occasionally and see if there are any new posts
I know how it works, I just don't really have interest in silo-ing things off like that. I'm just saying that the notion of tailoring to people that use things in that way, by removing discussion or separating it just seems like trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Why complicate things needlessly? Threadmark posts with the links and we're done here?
Problem is that basically the OP has to moderate the thread to keep looking for those posts. No clue if they're interested in doing that.

I think a lot of people use this thread as a reminder/nudge thread. It's the only thread on era where I actively choose to get email alerts for example, so it's funny when things like this happen and I get like a dozen emails about this thread. lol

But I also take the point that once the EGS giveaways are over, it'll likely slow down again.

Jayde Six

Feb 2, 2019
Skimming back through this thread it is full of discussion about the games being given away, including from the OP so I don't really get why it's an issue now.

Oct 27, 2017
Just to add my two cents, there was the same issue on a french forum some years ago; they decided to make 2 threads, and the one without comments died.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Since this is a forum I'd say let people comment as long it's just quick messages related to the giveaways and not long back and forths taking up whole pages, it's not hard to scroll down and only see the links to free games.

For the people who just want the free games there's plenty of twitters and other tools out there dedicated to it.

ConVito

Oct 16, 2018
Actually gonna change my vote to allow discussions after reading the arguments on both sides. Maybe a warning here and there if it gets a little too spammy, but overall, it's never been much of a problem to dig through the posts to find the games themselves (until now, anyway, for obvious reasons). This is a discussion forum, after all.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Actually gonna change my vote to allow discussions after reading the arguments on both sides. Maybe a warning here and there if it gets a little too spammy, but overall, it's never been much of a problem to dig through the posts to find the games themselves (until now, anyway, for obvious reasons). This is a discussion forum, after all.

Yup. Thread has always been fine . Super easy to scroll and pick out the games as everyone always posts links.

Bunkem

Prophet of Truth
Aug 25, 2021
Yup. Thread has always been fine . Super easy to scroll and pick out the games as everyone always posts links.
As a part of the lurking majority, I agree with this. The odd post of people reacting to stuff is fine, this mess on the last page is the first time it's ever been too much.

Thread split done.
OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
It is done:
www.resetera.com

"Add these games to your account, keep them forever" - NOTIFICATIONS ONLY

This thread is EXCLUSIVELY for posting new free games. It has a companion thread for discussing the games or giveaways, here: https://www.resetera.com/threads/psa-thread-of-add-this-game-to-your-account-now-and-keep-it-forever.47424/ Please respect that this thread is subscribed to by many...
I edited the OP to reflect the new policy (I've left this thread as the discussion thread), and contacted mods to change the title to reflect it.
I humbly request we all follow the rules from now on, that is:
- Post new game notifications on the notifications thread.
- Keep discussion on the discussion thread.
- As much as possible, leave metadiscussion of this one topic behind, now that we have adopted the solution that will hopefully inconvenience the least amount of people. Especially if your contribution is going to be another rehash of any of these three:
- "It wasn't that bad until we started discussing this very topic! Ironic, huh? Hahah. I am very smart."
- "Can't people just check the thread every time they get a notification, and scroll past the chatter posts? I have no trouble doing it so everyone else should be the same!"
- "Can't people just only post game links and refrain from any conversation at all whatsoever? I have no trouble doing it so everyone else should be the same!"

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
there, two of us had the same exact idea at the same time :P
but seriously if for some reason someone hasn't already, pick up loop hero.
Seconded, it's my GOTY 2021; pure heroin. I think they're working on more content for it and it's one of my most awaited things currently. <3

(I'm liking this arrangement already. I've just realized I was holding back from commenting on the thread so as to not inconveniende people subscribed to it :D ).

Royce

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
I hope this two thread system works! I wonder if there's a chance to get one of those mod footer reminders added to the notification thread?