• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Ha! I think you can still go to any shop or any camp and change your outfits for any of the ones you own. You can only take 4 outfits on your horse though. TBH, aside from the first missions of the game and that bear hunting mission with Isaiah early on, I hardly ever changed my costume.
True I just wish you could save more custom outfits though :/

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
For horses and guns whats the difference between the light grey and then the dark grey addons

Light grey is base and dark grey is what you have thanks to perks or what?

Also a ton of pelts from my main horse randomly disappeared , how did that happen?

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Finally playing this due to the recent psn sale

Props for the realism but I don't think I can handle shooting animals in this game. Yeah the skinning is brutal as well but the hit reactions and noises they make when they're hurt combined with the graphics is too much.

It only took decades and decades but shooting a videogame character has finally legitimately disturbed me and it's for wildlife animals and not any humans.
A bit later on, you'll unlock an upgraded deadeye mode that highlights fatal zones on targets; makes it a lot easier to one-shot animals so you don't have to hear them whimper as they bleed out. Also be sure to use the right caliber of gun. If you're using the varmint rifle on a deer, you're not going to kill it cleanly in one hit regardless of where you shoot it. I do like that the realism of an animal struggling to survive serves as a really good incentive to get better about killing them humanely; I don't ever want to hear a coyote crying as it bleeds out again. Also, with some animals (things about the size of deer or sheep), you can lasso them, reel them in and you'll get a prompt to execute them with your knife; it's brutal, but also more humane than a bad shot.

I actually find myself apologizing to the animals I kill in the game. Last night I was doing stranger missions in the far northeast corner of the map, and I kept getting attacked by cougars; one of them flung my horse off a bridge into a lake and nearly killed us both. I had to shoot them and after each one, I said, out loud to nobody in particular, "sorry kitty." The game definitely makes you feel empathy for the fauna you encounter.

Or you could be like my brother (who, in the real world, is an animal-lover and spent decades working as a zookeeper and conservationist), and go full-on animal genocide mode the instant he picks up the controller. Literally one of the first things he did when he played was kicking a dog. He assures me he wasn't trying to; he wanted to shoot it. Like, damn dude, I've never seen this side of you.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Finished the epilogue yesterday and I just noticed a massive missed opportunity

How cool would've been if in the ending when you're about to shoot Micah they do this
RareCheeryBluewhale-size_restricted.gif

but with RDR1's cover instead

john1280jpg-a2a495_1280w.jpg

In case you didn't notice, they do use that at one point.
When John goes to the rival ranch/has the big shootout there in epilogue 1, the QTE with the last person in the barn is that exact shot.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
In case you didn't notice, they do use that at one point.
When John goes to the rival ranch/has the big shootout there in epilogue 1, the QTE with the last person in the barn is that exact shot.
Yeah I noticed, but it didn't have the effect. Seems a little weird to waste the pose in a random NPC which you've known for like five minutes, but I guess

it's supposed to symbolize John turning back to his old lifestyle or something, lol.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I like this a lot but some of the UI/control things are just baffling

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
This game having ingame pages for so much and then having the photos be forced to the social club is the most inane terrible rockstar thing to do

SprachBrooks

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Anyone know what the patch update recently released (I'm on PS4) has? I couldn't see any of the notes.

I fell off hard as soon as I got to chapter 2 because I found the sudden change to open world and exploration from the first chapter to be jarring and anathema to the game's design.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone know what the patch update recently released (I'm on PS4) has? I couldn't see any of the notes.

I fell off hard as soon as I got to chapter 2 because I found the sudden change to open world and exploration from the first chapter to be jarring and anathema to the game's design.

Pretty sure it's entirely online additions/changes.

The open world can be a little overwhelming, but you can certainly get through the game just fine doing missions, and other side stuff as you come across them. You certainly don't need to comb through the map looking for every legendary animal, treasure maps, collectables etc.

There is a shift in the latter half of the game which encourages you to/gently pushes you towards just going through missions, when the story starts to pick up.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm can i do all the stranger missions later in the game?

Like, after i finish the main story? Or after i finish the game they will all be gone?

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
I finished the main story this evening. I need to go for a walk; that was too much.

Incredible stuff all around.

Post game stuff seems fascinating. I accidently knocked over the cart a couple minutes into it though. I suppose I needed the laugh.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
So is there any point to the epilogue?

I guess at some point we go after Micah? How long does it take? I'm kinda done with the game. If it's just the long story of how Marston got the farm, then no thanks.

Also why the hell does Marston call himself Milton, after Milton kidnapped and probably tortured his wife?

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017

I guess at some point we go after Micah? How long does it take? I'm kinda done with the game. If it's just the long story of how Marston got the farm, then no thanks.

Also why the hell does Marston call himself Milton, after Milton kidnapped and probably tortured his wife?

The epilogue is kinda long, but you can do it in a weekend easy enough if you just beeline through the main missions.

It's defintely worth playing though.

traillaitor

Jun 10, 2018
I get the impression that I'm reaching the end of the main story now... like I'm towards the back end of Chapter 6.
Very a solemn experience right now and I'm starting to act with way more honor and integrity than I have throughout... but I guess that is
because I know Arthur is dying.

Really wish I had a save slot back in the camp by the Lake after I finish where I could just hunt, fish, provide for the gang at my leisure. Really loved those times.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Also, something I loved in in chapter 6...

Was how dirty and disheveled Arthur got before "the last ride". I hadn't put his hat back on in the lead up to that for whatever reason so when the cutscene started and he put it back on and the music started playing...just amazing. Were you just not able to put the hat back on before that sequence or was it just a specific animation if you weren't wearing it?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Also, something I loved in in chapter 6...

Was how dirty and disheveled Arthur got before "the last ride". I hadn't put his hat back on in the lead up to that for whatever reason so when the cutscene started and he put it back on and the music started playing...just amazing. Were you just not able to put the hat back on before that sequence or was it just a specific animation if you weren't wearing it?

It happens regardless. If you were wearing a different hat when that cutscene triggers, he actually switches it out for his original one.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017

For an epilogue it's long, but its really well done and I would just recommend just going mission to mission and not exploring the world so much anymore - and they are a lot more concentrated. i would say that if you just stick to the missions the epilogue is about the equivalent of one more main story chapter.

The game actually felt fresh when I was doing the epilogue - I was weary about doing it going in, but ended up very glad I did. There is lots of good story stuff and good music in the epilogue too.

Dojima

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 25, 2019
How's the online now after the lastest update? It was boring af when it first released

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I wagered 20 dollars in a bet against the bottle shooting guy but realized the game let me bet that much even though I didnt own it on me right then and he tried to kill me so I killed him.

Is that gonna screw me out of any trophies?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Wait so can you play after the game ends or not? Im only in chapter 2 so no spoilers please.

ctj

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area, California
I wagered 20 dollars in a bet against the bottle shooting guy but realized the game let me bet that much even though I didnt own it on me right then and he tried to kill me so I killed him.

Is that gonna screw me out of any trophies?
That's just a random event so it doesn't matter. You just need 25 random events total to count towards 100%, and there are unlimited throughout the game, so you should easily get way more than that.
Wait so can you play after the game ends or not? Im only in chapter 2 so no spoilers please.
Yes

traillaitor

Jun 10, 2018
Just finished the main story line and Arthur has died. Was really sad but of course, knew it was coming. But the horse that I've been using for weeks and weeks... dying like that and Arthur having his "thank you" moment. Damn, almost brought a tear to my eye.

traillaitor

Jun 10, 2018
In continuation to the above imagine if..
at the end of the epilogue a remastered HD version of RDR1 begins. Now that would have been mind blowing. But also technically very difficult a suspect!

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Only on chapter 2 but dutch is like a cartoon/meme character in all the worst ways

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
So I thought I was pretty knowledgeable about this game, but I'm on a second run and just discovered the whole weapon familiarity boosts stats debate.

Anyone know if this was ever confirmed or refuted? Is this actually a thing?

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
How are you supposed to find treasure? I don't want to Google for answers. I'm trying to locate Jack Hall's second treasure but I have no idea where to look apart from whatever's drawn on the map - which is what I need to search for in the expansive world.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
How are you supposed to find treasure? I don't want to Google for answers. I'm trying to locate Jack Hall's second treasure but I have no idea where to look apart from whatever's drawn on the map - which is what I need to search for in the expansive world.
Im at that point too

The first was really distinctive. The second is not lol.

Just look at it periodically and see if you recognize it I guess.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Most of the treasure locations are obvious in the sense that when you finally see it in the world, you will know that it's it.

The only issue is exploring the world enough to find it. Jack Hall 2 can't be missed when you find it.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Finished up the epilogue last night

It's been over a week since I finished Chapter 6, but thinking back to Arthur's last ride still makes me tear up a bit. The song playing in the background 'That's the Way it is' was just perfect for the moment and it sent some chills through my back when it started playing, and realizing that this is going to be the end of Arthur's journey. Ever since the first game I've really loved the way they've used music throughout the series. Often times it's very understated as you roam the open world and do missions, but then these bigger moments hit and I love hearing the songs and their lyrics.
It's one of those gaming moments that'll probably stick with me forever, similar to John's last scene in the original game.

Though I do have some issues with the gameplay (that have been mentioned before), man did I enjoy the story and the journey I experienced playing through this. Took me a while to finish it (was playing the game on and off since it came out), but really glad to see it all the way through.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
I've got a question, I've finished the game and not really sure what's up with some stuff. I'll put it in a spoiler tag just in case.

So when the online launched I had to check it out despite only being on Ch. 3 or 4. I was worried about other players spoiling the game so I just muted everyone. I joined a free roam event and at the end of that was "deposited" in a part of the map I hadn't seen, the area where the first game takes place. I thought for sure the ending area had been spoiled but still looked forwards to the story the would lead me there and what would happen there. Well, nothing happened. Nothing in the game nor the epilogue led me to that area and it stayed "fogged" over and I am just now exploring it in the post game. So I guess my question is whether or not I missed something, is there still story stuff that happens after the epilogue? Or is it there as a treat for those that played the first game and it's also for some online stuff?

thanks.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I've got a question, I've finished the game and not really sure what's up with some stuff. I'll put it in a spoiler tag just in case.

So when the online launched I had to check it out despite only being on Ch. 3 or 4. I was worried about other players spoiling the game so I just muted everyone. I joined a free roam event and at the end of that was "deposited" in a part of the map I hadn't seen, the area where the first game takes place. I thought for sure the ending area had been spoiled but still looked forwards to the story the would lead me there and what would happen there. Well, nothing happened. Nothing in the game nor the epilogue led me to that area and it stayed "fogged" over and I am just now exploring it in the post game. So I guess my question is whether or not I missed something, is there still story stuff that happens after the epilogue? Or is it there as a treat for those that played the first game and it's also for some online stuff?

thanks.

If you're talking about New Austin then I don't think there's much actual story stuff that happens there. There's a couple bounties you can pick up in Tumbleweed and some chance encounters that seem to mostly revolve around the Del Lobo gang, but not a whole lot beyond that from what I've seen. Seems like they included it for the online portion (unless we get some DLC in the future that takes us there), but who knows. I kept expecting the epilogue would take us further into New Austin, but it never happened.

traillaitor

Jun 10, 2018
Quick questions about the post-game so I'll spoiler it...

When you end the story and play as John, can you still get stranger encounters that you didn't begin with Arthur? And if you already started them, like the dinosaur lady/the cigarette card guy.. can you continue them with John? And finally, if you find a Point of Interest as John can you interact with it like Arthur did with his journal?

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Quick questions about the post-game so I'll spoiler it...

When you end the story and play as John, can you still get stranger encounters that you didn't begin with Arthur? And if you already started them, like the dinosaur lady/the cigarette card guy.. can you continue them with John? And finally, if you find a Point of Interest as John can you interact with it like Arthur did with his journal?
Most stranger missions are available as either Arthur or John. If you start as Arthur, the game usually lets you continue as John; in rare instances, you'll start over from the beginning if you don't complete it as Arthur (e.g. the escaped convicts who are constantly complaining about each other's company). Some cannot be completed as Arthur (there are dino bones in New Austin that are impossible to get with Arthur without cheating). The dialogue was recorded, in full, by both actors so that you can start or complete all stranger missions in any combination (John will often introduce himself as a friend of Arthur if you've already begun the quest line).

When you find points of interest, strangers or new species as John, he will doodle them in the journal as Arthur did, but he's not as accomplished an artist, so they will look much rougher than the sketches that Arthur does. So Arthur might sketch out a very realistic looking wolf while John will basically have a stick-figure dog looking thing. It's a neat touch.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Believe me, when you come across the location, it will be unmissable (nothing else in the game resembles that specific area). It's a way to encourage exploration of areas you haven't visited yet. Also, many of the areas the treasure maps direct you to are otherwise "famous" sites, so you can look for posters in train stations and around town to give further clues about where those places might be.

traillaitor

Jun 10, 2018
Most stranger missions are available as either Arthur or John. If you start as Arthur, the game usually lets you continue as John; in rare instances, you'll start over from the beginning if you don't complete it as Arthur (e.g. the escaped convicts who are constantly complaining about each other's company). Some cannot be completed as Arthur (there are dino bones in New Austin that are impossible to get with Arthur without cheating). The dialogue was recorded, in full, by both actors so that you can start or complete all stranger missions in any combination (John will often introduce himself as a friend of Arthur if you've already begun the quest line).

When you find points of interest, strangers or new species as John, he will doodle them in the journal as Arthur did, but he's not as accomplished an artist, so they will look much rougher than the sketches that Arthur does. So Arthur might sketch out a very realistic looking wolf while John will basically have a stick-figure dog looking thing. It's a neat touch.

Great, thanks for your reply! Also turns out that
John really can't swim! Instadrown when you go in water! A nice touch, quite annoying though...

SoundCheck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I found the white horse near Isabella lake. I managed to mount it but I did not transfer the saddle. saved the game. on the way back, I came across a stranger being attacked by wolves. the horse became frightened and ran away. I loaded the game but the horse was not there. I went to Lake Isabela but two days in a row but he was not there either. Did I fucked it up?

CONCHOBAR

Oct 25, 2017
I found the white horse near Isabella lake. I managed to mount it but I did not transfer the saddle. saved the game. on the way back, I came across a stranger being attacked by wolves. the horse became frightened and ran away. I loaded the game but the horse was not there. I went to Lake Isabela but two days in a row but he was not there either. Did I fucked it up?
The horse respawns. You might have to give it some time but it'll be back.

hopper7

Oct 27, 2017
wow I didn't know that was the fastest horse in the game, I found her by luck when I was on my way to hunt the legendary Bison, never needed any another horse since I got her in chapter 4 i think

anyway, got a question from the epilogue:

Are there any in-game hints as to where to find the graves of fallen gang members, including Arthur's?, or do I need to use a guide?

CONCHOBAR

Oct 25, 2017
wow I didn't know that was the fastest horse in the game, I found her by luck when I was on my way to hunt the legendary Bison, never needed any another horse since I got her in chapter 4 i think

anyway, got a question from the epilogue:

Are there any in-game hints as to where to find the graves of fallen gang members, including Arthur's?, or do I need to use a guide?
You'll need a guide.

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
When's a good time to start hunting for all the materials required for the camp/trapper upgrades? I'm in chapter 3.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
When's a good time to start hunting for all the materials required for the camp/trapper upgrades? I'm in chapter 3.

Chapter 2 and three are a good time to wrap that stuff up. Ideally you want the best satchel ready before you do a ton of exploring so that you can reap the benefits.

Upgrading Dutch's tent unlocks Arthur's upgrade which is fast travel. I didn't use this much early on but late game it became pretty useful.

The horse station is also useful if you like to switch up mounts regularly or become separated.

Upgrading all the tents in the camp makes a lot of interactions more upbeat which is nice if you spend a lot of time there.

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
Do it immediately. The most important thing is the satchels that Pearson crafts you; everything else is just cosmetic.
Chapter 2 and three are a good time to wrap that stuff up. Ideally you want the best satchel ready before you do a ton of exploring so that you can reap the benefits.

Upgrading Dutch's tent unlocks Arthur's upgrade which is fast travel. I didn't use this much early on but late game it became pretty useful.

The horse station is also useful if you like to switch up mounts regularly or become separated.

Upgrading all the tents in the camp makes a lot of interactions more upbeat which is nice if you spend a lot of time there.

Thanks. I already have all camp upgrades which require money only. But I haven't been hunting yet, so I'm still missing all of Pearson's upgrades.
I guess I'll have to look for a guide or checklist or something. This is gonna take forever, isn't it?

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Thanks. I already have all camp upgrades which require money only. But I haven't been hunting yet, so I'm still missing all of Pearson's upgrades.
I guess I'll have to look for a guide or checklist or something. This is gonna take forever, isn't it?

It's really not too bad. All you need are the satchels, the other stuff is cosmetic.

You'll need six or so perfect deer (not buck) pelts so keeping a bow on you and generally always taking a shot at one of them as you travel is a good place to start.

Two elk are another good one to keep an eye on as they have big pelts which take up the whole back of your horse.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's really not too bad. All you need are the satchels, the other stuff is cosmetic.

You'll need six or so perfect deer (not buck) pelts so keeping a bow on you and generally always taking a shot at one of them as you travel is a good place to start.

Two elk are another good one to keep an eye on as they have big pelts which take up the whole back of your horse.

Edit- a great place to hunt is around where you find the Legendary Buck. That part of Big Valley has a ton of elk, whitetail, raccoons, boar and rabbits. Just watch out for bear and cougar.