• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saying you were working on one of the most basic elements in game dev (the rendering engine) at a job you're no longer at isn't something you get fired over. Probably a slap on the wrist and getting this shit wiped but still.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like it's running on Nintendo's tools and not UE4. If bamco was making the game, I have no doubt they would have used UE4 due to the homogeneous dev environment they have running

Oct 25, 2017
Smash switch rendering is based off the substitution doll tech. It's very advanced
06e.png

(While it's nice to see Nintendo devs speaking up, it usually turns out that they shouldn't have or that they're just pretending to be Nintendo devs, lol)

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I would take this to mean they took what they had for Smash 4 and built on top of it for the sequel a la Splatoon 2.

Probably smart, since it gives you a huge head start even if you upgrade art assets and the like, and this is out quite early in the gen.

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope that he didn't lose his job over the tweet but it was pretty obvious from the beginning that Namco-Bandai is working on the game. It's nice to have a confirmation to know when certain stage of production ended so we could get the idea when they actually works on the game. I think I was so close with the schedule prediction.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Yeah, I would take this to mean they took what they had for Smash 4 and built on top of it for the sequel a la Splatoon 2.

Probably smart, since it gives you a huge head start even if you upgrade art assets and the like, and this is out quite early in the gen.
This is what I am expecting too. Two years seems like more than enough time to build a fully-featured sequel, given how solid the foundation laid by Smash Wii U is.

Oct 27, 2017
May 3, 2018
XT6zDPz.png

just checked the Mario Odyssey credits to be sure, and he's certainly listed!
whether or not that was actually him we'll never know, i guess.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, are you serious that there's a brazilian working on Nintendo? This guy must be so happy and as a brazilian I couldn't be more happy to see a brazilian in there.

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Not surprising. Didn't someone on this forum say Smash 5 was being built on the Smash 4 engine? Namco did help develop that, so combining the studio that made Smash 4 with the same engine (different rendering tools though?) would make for a quicker turnaround.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Why wouldn't they be? Bandai Namco were co-developers on Smash Bros. for Wii U, and that game was fantastic. I hope the Switch iteration don't completely throw it out as a foundation -- struck a great balance between Smash's competitive and casual sides.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
God, I hope this guy doesn't lose his job because of this.

Still, interesting news. Saw them coming really considering BN's relationship with Nintendo, hope this means some characters like Kos-Mos are in the game.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We've known this since like 2014 when they started hiring for Smash 6, which is the Switch game yeah?

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, are you serious that there's a brazilian working on Nintendo? This guy must be so happy and as a brazilian I couldn't be more happy to see a brazilian in there.
Japanese game development companies are generally quite positive on hiring foreigners as long as they speak Japanese and live in Japan.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure how "dynamic" you expected it to be and why you thought it not being was a limitation of the engine or system
You're conflating two statements of differing topics. And it definitely was a limitation of the system since they decided to target 1080p. On the Switch they can have both

And by dynamic, I mean more dynamic environmental lights affecting the characters. It can be done without affecting readability, I think. Also, the usage of states from older games without modernized touch ups stood out like a sore thumb, so i hope they change that up for this game

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
If you blow up the Twitter photo, there appears to be a reflection of a tree in his eye.
I think he checks out for sure

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Probabrly just got scolded.

Didn't really reveal anything "major". Tho I'm sure he's gonna be more careful now. He was just proud of his work