• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

would you rather sony be at E3 or holding their own PSX?

• E3

Votes: 1,060 45.4%
  • PSX

Votes: 1,274 54.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
The bigger question is.....Will a big boy slip?

😁
The controversy..

Ubisoft-E3-2018-motorcyclist-crash.png

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know you're going to get quoted to hell for this but I think personally both SOPs and inside xbox are garbage tier compared to Directs. Directs are much better executed
Yeah I agree. It's not console wars to say Sony and Xbox's efforts are WIP. Nintendo took years to get the format down, Sony and MS will get there, I just don't think Sony will by the time they want to announce PS5.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
I don't care what PS5 looks like, I don't care how much it costs. Just show us a first glimpse of an AAA game from one of their 1st parties which make my jaw drop faster than my interest in Stadia.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Just watch the trailer on Youtube then ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I still watch the SoP's. I like Sony and I like their games. I just don't like the format and how they do these, I think Sony has it in them to something more original and unique.

I know you're going to get quoted to hell for this but I think personally think both SOPs and inside xbox are garbage tier compared to Directs. Directs are much better executed
I don't mind, It's ok to not like stuff. Inside Xbox are much better and original. Both MS and Nintendo have been doing these for awhile though.

Deleted member 44129

Banned
May 29, 2018
I CANNOT WAIT to join my 6 year old son on his first generational jump later this year. For that reason, I'm more hyped than usual about a new console. squeeeee!

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If Sony announces today they're not going to be at E3 whilst also NOT announcing when their PS5 conference is, I'll be pretty annoyed and baffled at their strategy.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
The problem with stuff like E3 dying is there are loads of smaller devs/pubs who would otherwise have no place to do this type of marketing if all of those conferences dry up.

And they piggy-back off of each other these conferences do; the budget is justified because you can take some of your spend and use it at E3/PAX/etc. The more those dwindle the less those budgets make sense. I doubt we'd have crazy booths at PAX West if companies didn't spend the money to build many of those booths originally for E3.

I get how people are like "Well Sony doesn't need that!" I mean that's great that the mega-corp dominating the market doesn't need the event and all.. doesn't mean it's good for the industry for these companies to put the spotlight on their own events. Like I said earlier in the thread, it's their business.. but as a consumer I'm not going to cheer on something that only benefits one company potentially at the expense of others. If Sony not being at E3 helps others stand out at E3 that's a good thing.. but at some point the big guys pulling out could kill the whole thing.. so big picture, not so sure.

E3 as an organization kind of sucks, but that's a separate issue. I hope if E3 dies some other better group can swoop in and put on a better show without the doxxing.

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
They better announce PS Meeting date today then, or i... will shake my fist violently!

TheJollyCorner

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
If it wasn't a new console year I'd say this wasn't that big of a deal. Seems weird to be going up against the momentum that Xbox has had, Sony's lack of previous showings and in to a new console launch and relying solely on their own show.

MS is the one with everything to prove, recent momentum or not. The pressure is on them from the public eye perspective. Phil and Co. have made impressive strides recently, but MS has been swimming upstream all generation. Now they are going into a new gen with people wondering "how are they going to compete?" No sane person is asking that about Sony, which, until shown otherwise, is acting like business as usual.
Sony has sold over 100m PS4s, developed two of the best selling games of '19 (Days Gone & Death Stranding), and not only do they have another Cerny developed piece of next-gen hardware releasing this year, but also a powerful line of PS4 console exclusives releasing in '20.

Sony hasn't had to 'react' this entire gen. They don't have to 'react' going into next gen. They just need to act... and they can do that with a PS Meeting to introduce the world to the PS5, a PSX/State of Play show in the summer to detail the launch, and then of course the launch in fall/winter.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still watch the SoP's. I like Sony and I like their games. I just don't like the format and how they do these, I think Sony has it in them to something more original and unique.
The "format" for such a streaming show is perfect. Just show the trailers and don't show some dudes between the trailers talk random nonsense. It's all about the trailers. Not much talking, a lot of trailers, end.

Deleted member 54073

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
If they announce they aren't going to E3 and doing their own thing.. they have to give us dates surely. If not that then of their supposed PSM coming up in February.

Rosol

Oct 29, 2017
I hope this means they're not skipping a press conference, I really despise the pre recorded Nintendo style updates they've been doing. I really used to look forward to the show they had on every year. I wonder if they got wind ms was plastering the place up with series x ads. The live audience reaction is a huge part of the excitement.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Idk, i love the pomp, circumstance, and hype of a stage presentation. You dont get dmc is back baby! Or ff7 remake moments out of pre recorded presentations

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cool, can they do their own even sooner then? Like next month? I'd like to see the PS5, thanks.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Wouldn't be surprising.

Create your own event and have all the attention

Or go to a big event and share the spotlight

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Idk, i love the pomp, circumstance, and hype of a stage presentation. You dont get dmc is back baby! Or ff7 remake moments out of pre recorded presentations

The sooner "the pomp and hype" dies, the better. hype culture is already overboard these days.

and i think as i am approaching the end of my 30s i just don´t care about these hype presentations for games that are not out for years anymore.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Sony is big enough to do their own thing, and if E3 is off the charts, then they should.

...I may also have rewatched the FF7 reveal reaction compilations more times than I care to admit.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
If they announce they aren't going to E3 and doing their own thing.. they have to give us dates surely. If not that then of their supposed PSM coming up in February.

I'd love to know too but It may be too early for the former and the latter isn't really related. We will see...I don't think it really matters in the end if we find out about a spring PS meeting along with this announcement or in a few weeks. I think we know this will be a noisy year for them unlike last, in any event.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
E3 is a fun event, one where it was cool to see what everybody's got up their sleeves. The event will still happen, except nobody will talk about their products there. I know they want to focus on their own stuff but I would have seen little harm from a limited presence at E3 as opposed to a no show. Congrats I guess?

Oct 27, 2017
United States

In my opinion, Sony's last proper appearance at E3 in 2018 lacked any of that. I would rather see them host their event(s) with the upmost energy, rather than try to force it for E3.

By the way, have you watched a reaction video to a Nintendo Direct before? A traditional E3 conference and a pre-recorded livestream can definitely garner similar feedback from fans.

TheAvatar

Nov 4, 2017
The "format" for such a streaming show is perfect. Just show the trailers and don't show some dudes between the trailers talk random nonsense. It's all about the trailers. Not much talking, a lot of trailers, end.
i don't think just showing trailers back to back is a great format to me, some games are worth explaining and pacing is also big thing, it's a show as well that's why directs are so successful

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
There should be a show in Chicago in place of E3, like there used to be. Summer CES.

McCormick Place.

The irony would be immense. Because what happened at Summer CES in Chicago in '91
(The betrayalton of all Betrayaltons), the Nintendo Sony Play Station was stabbed in the back and PS-X would eventually be given the green light.

Last edited:

immortal-joe

Oct 25, 2017
If they announce this with a 'stay tuned for more' it would be a minor PR blunder.

I say minor because they can recover when the inevitable PS5 event is announced, but it's much better to pair that announcement with the E3-exit one, thus fully mitigating the disappointment for many.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
If they make their own live event then I don't care.

A recorded video can't replicate the epicness of that God of War reveal.

Status
Not open for further replies.