• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mike Works

Oct 28, 2017
Just got back from the Austin Film Festival. Met Michael Arndt, Kenneth Lonergan, went to talks with Noah Hawley, Eric Heisserer, did roundtables with staffed TV writers, met a pair of writers from The Good Place... I'm exhausted but that was one of the best weekends ever.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Just got back from the Austin Film Festival. Met Michael Arndt, Kenneth Lonergan, went to talks with Noah Hawley, Eric Heisserer, did roundtables with staffed TV writers, met a pair of writers from The Good Place... I'm exhausted but that was one of the best weekends ever.

Just by going to the film festival? Jesus, I need to go there.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, Film Festivals are great ways to network. Just talk to people, almost everyone there is involved in film or TV in some form. You never know.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
I placed in the festival as a writer, but every moment I posted above came from socializing at functions/parties and going to panels that were open to the public.

Now that I live in a big city, I will be a part of these more often, as in northern Ohio, there weren't really any film festivals (Maybe one in Cleveland, but that's it).

Last edited:

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Question: How good is "Fade In"? It's the cheaper of the bunch and I am looking to leave Celtx. It seems awesome thus far, but how is it compared to WriterDuet & Final Draft? For $80, it seems amazing, but I'm trying to invest wisely. I apologize for double posting, but about to purchase and want to hear from your experiences.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Hi guys, longtime "baby writer" here. I wrote my first feature at fifteen and graduated from USC's screenwriting BFA program ten years ago. Written about twenty features and pilots, gone through several pitch processes, have one feature optioned, and now I'm focused on adapting a pilot into a novel to self-publish.

I want to recommend my personal bible re: writing: "The Art of Dramatic Writing" by Lajos Egri. Originally written for playwrights of the '50s, all of the advice within is perfect for screenwriters. Rather than focus on story structure, it highlights character as the most important narrative pillar. His pet theory is the "unity of opposites", which claims that every story centers on opposing forces which, by design, are incapable of compromise -- and whichever one "wins" illustrates thematic intent. The only part of it which doesn't hold up is the hilariously quaint "television writing" addendum, again written from the perspective of the 1950s.

And apparently it's only three bucks on Kindle! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007569VGG/?tag=era0f0-20

Mike Works

Oct 28, 2017
Question: How good is "Fade In"? It's the cheaper of the bunch and I am looking to leave Celtx. It seems awesome thus far, but how is it compared to WriterDuet & Final Draft? For $80, it seems amazing, but I'm trying to invest wisely. I apologize for double posting, but about to purchase and want to hear from your experiences.
I use Final Draft, but I also own Fade In and I enjoyed using it. Really like the full-page mode - something I bugged a FD rep to include this past weekend. If the cost difference between FI + FD is legitimate to you, then you can definitely get away with using Fade In.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
I placed in the festival as a writer, but every moment I posted above came from socializing at functions/parties and going to panels that were open to the public.

I want to share some thoughts as somebody winding down a year on the festival circuit at the moment.

I went to Fantastic Fest with a short last year and it had a really robust industry presence and networking opportunities. I was as Sitges this year which was probably even better, but my film wasn't in the fest so it was a little harder to segway into networking conversations. My movie and I were in a very cool little genre festival in Rennes shortly thereafter---it was a really nice and intimate experience, but it wasn't bustling with producers or sales agents. It's also a little difficult and demanding balancing screenings and parties. Really hard---like harder than some giant music fest IMO, only because you have to keep your industry hat on a bit, and think about promoting your work.

In any case, in my past year on the circuit and earlier with previous films, I've run the gamut from begging people to watch the film in the back of a motel conference room and having one or two other filmmakers in the room as a personal favor, to having a crowd of over a thousand give me a surreal standing ovation. (One was in Madrid and the latter was in Barcelona, just a week apart). Film festivals are such a crapshoot, you can be in the gutter or the stars, and it's not always easy to strategize which festivals to reach out to, either. I had very little idea of the playing field, and debuting at some fests made acceptance to other, more 'presitigous' ones impossible. Regardless, I do believe the constant is you can always meet and hang with some awesome people passionate about the same thing we all are. Regardless if they want to option your script into a 5 million dollar feature, or just wax poetic on filmmaking over a cup of coffee---I've made some tremendous friends. Also, as much as I sunk into the development of a proof-of-concept short, it paid off ten fold as a passport around the world. I am definitely going to miss traveling the film circuit.

I have a feature script to go along with the proof of concept short, so I hope to do it all again. Going to shoot the breeze at AFM today in Santa Monica, and generally trying to utilize all my resources in the wings to make something happen. Wish me luck screenwritingERA.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
I want to share some thoughts as somebody winding down a year on the festival circuit at the moment.

I went to Fantastic Fest with a short last year and it had a really robust industry presence and networking opportunities. I was as Sitges this year which was probably even better, but my film wasn't in the fest so it was a little harder to segway into networking conversations. My movie and I were in a very cool little genre festival in Rennes shortly thereafter---it was a really nice and intimate experience, but it wasn't bustling with producers or sales agents. It's also a little difficult and demanding balancing screenings and parties. Really hard---like harder than some giant music fest IMO, only because you have to keep your industry hat on a bit, and think about promoting your work.

In any case, in my past year on the circuit and earlier with previous films, I've run the gamut from begging people to watch the film in the back of a motel conference room and having one or two other filmmakers in the room as a personal favor, to having a crowd of over a thousand give me a surreal standing ovation. (One was in Madrid and the latter was in Barcelona, just a week apart). Film festivals are such a crapshoot, you can be in the gutter or the stars, and it's not always easy to strategize which festivals to reach out to, either. I had very little idea of the playing field, and debuting at some fests made acceptance to other, more 'presitigous' ones impossible. Regardless, I do believe the constant is you can always meet and hang with some awesome people passionate about the same thing we all are. Regardless if they want to option your script into a 5 million dollar feature, or just wax poetic on filmmaking over a cup of coffee---I've made some tremendous friends. Also, as much as I sunk into the development of a proof-of-concept short, it paid off ten fold as a passport around the world. I am definitely going to miss traveling the film circuit.

I have a feature script to go along with the proof of concept short, so I hope to do it all again. Going to shoot the breeze at AFM today in Santa Monica, and generally trying to utilize all my resources in the wings to make something happen. Wish me luck screenwritingERA.

I am so excited to travel the film circuit in a year or two.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Just received my first-ever paycheck on a writing project!

Twelve bucks, for a "story by" option I developed a year ago. But still!

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, never have pitched and no idea as to how and where. I work alone currently, so I doubt I can do much myself.

Yeah, without some representation you'll want to create something that speaks to your talents (which you'd then use to secure representation.) Shooting a good short and getting it to festivals is the best approach, tbh.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, without some representation you'll want to create something that speaks to your talents (which you'd then use to secure representation.) Shooting a good short and getting it to festivals is the best approach, tbh.

Many thanks for the information! I'm aiming to have my next short in the Nashville Film Festival next year, but if not, I'll aim for others around the country.

Oct 29, 2017
Omg!! I am so glad to see this thread. I was a long time lurker at the prior place. When things fell apart there I was so scared that there wasn't going this community was gone for good. Thanks for creating guys. I'll do my best to contribute here.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
So, I just thought of an idea. Would anyone with WriterDuet or Fade In be interested in collaborative projects for fun or learning? I feel that would open up how to work on collab projects for those new to it, or to help motivate others to write more. If it's a shitty idea, ignore it, but the thought just popped up in my head and I thought I would share.

Oct 29, 2017
So, I just thought of an idea. Would anyone with WriterDuet or Fade In be interested in collaborative projects for fun or learning? I feel that would open up how to work on collab projects for those new to it, or to help motivate others to write more. If it's a shitty idea, ignore it, but the thought just popped up in my head and I thought I would share.
I would be up for it.

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017

I've been thinking about that for a little while now. Definitely would be a good idea.

Ghost_Messiah

Oct 27, 2017
Good to see so many familiar usernames in here, what with the Screenwriting OT being such an invaluable and amazing place on the old forum.

Pleased to see we've relaunched here. Not much news. Entered the Tracking Board's Launch Pad competition of which the results are announced in January so I'm waiting on that. Outside of that I'm working on a new screenplay I hope to submit to The Blacklist next year. Taking it easy until next year dawns basically.

Thread is watched however and I'll be participating in this thread in the near future. Best of luck in your endeavours guys.

OP
OP
kai3345

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
I saw Scullibundo posting in another thread today. I didn't realize he'd transitioned over. Wonder if he knows this thread exists.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Good to see so many familiar usernames in here, what with the Screenwriting OT being such an invaluable and amazing place on the old forum.

Pleased to see we've relaunched here. Not much news. Entered the Tracking Board's Launch Pad competition of which the results are announced in January so I'm waiting on that. Outside of that I'm working on a new screenplay I hope to submit to The Blacklist next year. Taking it easy until next year dawns basically.

Thread is watched however and I'll be participating in this thread in the near future. Best of luck in your endeavours guys.

Where can I find all of these competitions?

Ghost_Messiah

Oct 27, 2017
Where can I find all of these competitions?

Here's the best source I've been using dude: https://www.moviebytes.com/contests.cfm?category=Upcoming

Notable competitions are the Nicholl competition (the Academy's one), Final Draft's Big Break competition, the Tracking Board's comp and I'd also say Screencraft.

So search for all of those if you want to enter the heavyweights. Most of the major ones, aforementioned above, are all 2018 now.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's the best source I've been using dude: https://www.moviebytes.com/contests.cfm?category=Upcoming

Notable competitions are the Nicholl competition (the Academy's one), Final Draft's Big Break competition, the Tracking Board's comp and I'd also say Screencraft.

So search for all of those if you want to enter the heavyweights. Most of the major ones, aforementioned above, are all 2018 now.

A pretty decent list, I've been a judge on a handful of those myself (just got an email about another one on there) but it's missing some major ones like Tracking Board, Final Draft and Blacklist. A lot of those I've not heard of so do research, everyone. Spend your money wisely if they ask for entry fees.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Received some crazy good news today. "Cool Abdoul", a project I took over screenwriting duties from the director (a friend of mine) when he got creatively stuck, got a production development fund from the Flemish Film Fund. This means that production receives a small preproduction fee, and that a bigger production fee is reserved. Once the production can complete the extra needed funding (trough international coproduction, tax shelter, ...) that fee is granted, and the movie can be made. There are still some hurdles to take offcourse, but this was a crucial step in production. If we didn't get this, the project would fall trough. The rest is comparatively easy. With this in hand, it's not so difficult to get subsidies from for instance the Walloon or Dutch film fund when you can convince a co-production.

Though I wasn't attached from the start, and this isn't really 'my' movie (I mainly retooled an existing screenplay into a new treatment, and then worked from that to two full drafts,reworking or using exiting material next to new stuff), it is still very exciting. This has a good chance of becoming my first feature credit after my work for tv and short movies. With some luck, it could premiere in 2019.

It's a cool story too. Losely based on a real-life boxer from my hometown, it's about a guy stuck between his boxing ambitions and the criminal activities he started to live to finance his boxing career, but which slowly starts to take over his life..

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Received some crazy good news today. "Cool Abdoul", a project I took over screenwriting duties from the director (a friend of mine) when he got creatively stuck, got a production development fund from the Flemish Film Fund. This means that production receives a small preproduction fee, and that a bigger production fee is reserved. Once the production can complete the extra needed funding (trough international coproduction, tax shelter, ...) that fee is granted, and the movie can be made. There are still some hurdles to take offcourse, but this was a crucial step in production. If we didn't get this, the project would fall trough. The rest is comparatively easy. With this in hand, it's not so difficult to get subsidies from for instance the Walloon or Dutch film fund when you can convince a co-production.

Though I wasn't attached from the start, and this isn't really 'my' movie (I mainly retooled an existing screenplay into a new treatment, and then worked from that to two full drafts,reworking or using exiting material next to new stuff), it is still very exciting. This has a good chance of becoming my first feature credit after my work for tv and short movies. With some luck, it could premiere in 2019.

It's a cool story too. Losely based on a real-life boxer from my hometown, it's about a guy stuck between his boxing ambitions and the criminal activities he started to live to finance his boxing career, but which slowly starts to take over his life..

That is so amazing!!!! I really hope it all works out!

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Looking for some advice or guidance if possible.
I'm in the process of re-writing one of my scripts from a TV show into a radio play. But I am not able to find any sites, apps etc that provide this format to create scripts with.
I am specifically in need for the BBC (UK) style of radio formatting (can see the style here http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/scripts/bbcradioscene.pdf )
Checked out Celtx (which had an audio option but it is not the UK no the US standard of radio play design), Writer Duet, Amazon Storywriter, Trelby, EZScript and FadeIn.
Even looked into the paid for route and Final Draft doesn't seem to have that option (according to their FAQ).

Any help would be great :)

Oct 25, 2017
Was always a lurker in this thread on the old site. Really excited to hopefully play a more active role moving forward. I've never written professionally but I was an avid writer throughout college and then hit a bout of writer's block and self doubt a few years back. I recently just finished a new short script and am nearing the completion of another.

Here's a question for everyone. Is it worth my time to submit short scripts to festival contests or should I focus my time and effort on getting them made myself?

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Hello guys,

So I never participated in the threads you guys apparently had over on the old place, but I'm looking forward to spending and sharing my time with everyone in here. If I am so do a little background exposure, I've had it tough, especially for the past 9 years, where I've had to deal with social anxiety disorder, but it has steadily improved, and during the last year I've felt I've got a handle on this, and I'm ready to get out there in the world and pursue the movie industry. I have had a very hard figuring out what I wanted to do with my life ever since I came out of high school, but now is the right time to look further into writing stories and movie directing.

I have many ideas for individual scenes, how to expose them, how to frame them (and I've always had a big passion for photography too), but while sitting down to actually come up with a screenplay for short movies or the likes, I've found it to be very difficult. I haven't really been exposed to anything in this field, and is looking forward to exploring it further.

Right now, I just casually sat down with a Word document, and found a free template, but reading through the thread I see that probably won't cut it. So I'm trying to come up with this list of everybody's suggestions so I can get into into smoothly.

I hope to learn a lot from you guys, and your tools.

Things to consider
Screenplay writing:
Final Draft
Celtx
Adobe Story
Fade In Professional
WriterDuet

Books:
Save the Cat! by Blake Snyder
Screenplay by Syd Field
Standard works are Story by Robert McKee
The Art of Dramatic Writing by Lajos Egri

Formatting:
Beat Sheet by Blake Snyder

Is there a film making thread? I couldn't find one. We could probably combine them both since the two threads on gaf were never really that busy.

Opened it up about an hour or so ago. :D
I'm sorry to bother you, but could you point me in the direction if this thread? Meanwhile, I'll be looking around.

Last edited:

Grenchel

Oct 27, 2017
What is everyones process for outlining? I am trying to become a more disciplined writer, and this seems to be one of the more crucial steps towards producing work.

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
Hello guys,

So I never participated in the threads you guys apparently had over on the old place, but I'm looking forward to spending and sharing my time with everyone in here. If I am so do a little background exposure, I've had it tough, especially for the past 9 years, where I've had to deal with social anxiety disorder, but it has steadily improved, and during the last year I've felt I've got a handle on this, and I'm ready to get out there in the world and pursue the movie industry. I have had a very hard figuring out what I wanted to do with my life ever since I came out of high school, but now is the right time to look further into writing stories and movie directing.

I have many ideas for individual scenes, how to expose them, how to frame them (and I've always had a big passion for photography too), but while sitting down to actually come up with a screenplay for short movies or the likes, I've found it to be very difficult. I haven't really been exposed to anything in this field, and is looking forward to exploring it further.

Right now, I just casually sat down with a Word document, and found a free template, but reading through the thread I see that probably won't cut it. So I'm trying to come up with this list of everybody's suggestions so I can get into into smoothly.

I hope to learn a lot from you guys, and your tools.

Things to consider
Screenplay writing:
Final Draft
Celtx
Adobe Story
Fade In Professional
WriterDuet

Books:
Save the Cat! by Blake Snyder
Screenplay by Syd Field
Standard works are Story by Robert McKee
The Art of Dramatic Writing by Lajos Egri

Formatting:
Beat Sheet by Blake Snyder

I'm sorry to bother you, but could you point me in the direction if this thread? Meanwhile, I'll be looking around.

Welcome to the party, stick around a while, the food's great.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/video-filmmaking-era-ot-lights-camera-era.1350/

Oct 27, 2017
Great to see this thread finally made it over here.

This is the year I finally try to do something with my screenwriting. I'm finishing up two scripts now and hopefully will be ready for the Nicholl Fellowship.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
What is everyones process for outlining? I am trying to become a more disciplined writer, and this seems to be one of the more crucial steps towards producing work.
From working in a writer's room, I took over most of the working schedule we had there.`

When I have an idea, I at first try to write it down in a basic 1 page document (more or less), where I try to turn the idea into a three act story, give an idea of who the characters are, etc. (This was the pitch fase in the WR, wherewe pitched stories for episodes)

From there I usually write a beat sheet. (Beating fase). I tend to overwrite these. In stead of one or two sentences per beat, I tend to develop them a bit more as this is a fase where I gather ideas.

Then I take the beat sheet as a base to write a 10 page treatment in Word. No scene headings or anything, more a sort of proze-version of the story. I iterate on this version a couple of times, developing it further, trying to get it structurally a bit more sound, etc. It mostly stays aroudn 10 pages, but can grow. (This is a phase we didn't have in the WR)

Then I go into Final Draft and write a scene outline treatment, with every scene developped sans dialogue. So it's screen play format without dialogue. This is also something I iterate a lot on until I'm confident. (In the WR we had three of these sceduled)

And at last I use this kind of treatment as a base for the screenplay. Basically it's filling in dialogue, and then rewriting a lot.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
So just got an email that Adobe Story will stop accepting new users this monday (22nd) so that already pasted, and it said in a year all together the service will go down and that we should download our materials.

Welp, gotta figure out something to move to now. I guess to final draft I go again?

Ghost_Messiah

Oct 27, 2017
Just a heads up, but the Tracking Board's Launch Pad feature competition's results come out tonight (11pm GMT, 3pm PST). It's the top 75 with more results to follow.

Submitted two sci-fi screenplays last year, though honestly not expecting placement. Think the screenplays weren't strong enough. Guess we'll see.

Ghost_Messiah

Oct 27, 2017
So a potential new Blacklist competitor called CoverFly has sprung up here: https://www.coverfly.com - What do you guys think? Legit or just another money sink designed to lure in talent in the hopes of draining their wallets? I got notified about it via LinkedIn saying CoverFly was generating profiles for users without their permission - so sounds super shady.

Anyone have any insight on this one? An alternative to the Blacklist would be amazing - but I'm sceptical of this particular one. Thoughts?

Mike Works

Oct 28, 2017
I signed up for Coverfly because I met the guy who runs it at the AFF, and I figured why not. I'd placed in a number of competitions.

It doesn't cost you anything (assuming you've already paid for competitions), so if you've got the free time, then why not. It didn't do anything for me (my script was in the top whatever on their red list for a number of months), but I didn't expect it to.

Ghost_Messiah

Oct 27, 2017
I signed up for Coverfly because I met the guy who runs it at the AFF, and I figured why not. I'd placed in a number of competitions.

It doesn't cost you anything (assuming you've already paid for competitions), so if you've got the free time, then why not. It didn't do anything for me (my script was in the top whatever on their red list for a number of months), but I didn't expect it to.

Ah thanks man, yeah your feedback here is invaluable. Sounds like it's worth it if you can do it for free but otherwise it may be prohibitively expensive without even anything coming from it. I've investigated the site a little more, and basically to get one of their good "industry scores" you need at least 5 evaluations, from either coverage services or competitions. So if you don't have those (which I don't) it's absurdly expensive, contrasted to the Blacklist which only requires 2 evaluations and is obviously the much larger, more respected player.

I was tempted, but I think I'll give it a miss. The money injection it'd require is too extreme (I have 2 screenplays, so what's that - 10 evaluations?) so I might just stick with the Blacklist. It's interesting that this "Red List" didn't actually generate any leads for you. Everything I've heard about people who've scored high on the Blacklist is the opposite. Guess CoverFly may be too early in its infancy to matter at the moment. And yeah the cash requirement is way too high, particularly for anyone who doesn't have competition placements just yet. A miss for me, I think.

If anyone else would like to chime in, I'd appreciate the insight.

Mike Works

Oct 28, 2017
I got a top placing on Coverfly with only 2 accredited evaluations/ratings (Blacklist and Screencraft). Most of my contest placings they didn't recognize, so I had to put them in manually (and they didn't affect the Coverfly rating).

Ghost_Messiah

Oct 27, 2017
I got a top placing on Coverfly with only 2 accredited evaluations/ratings (Blacklist and Screencraft). Most of my contest placings they didn't recognize, so I had to put them in manually (and they didn't affect the Coverfly rating).

Ah okay, that's good to know. Thanks for the additional input. I think it may be something I'll look in to down the line, providing I get good evaluations for my current project, but I'll leave it for now since my other screenplays don't qualify at the moment. Now I know it's legit however, I'll consider it later on, if need be. We'll see how my next screenplay does.

My heart skipped a beat when I saw Nicholl is already open. It seemed so far away...

Well holy shit dude. Comes as a surprise to me too. That literally came out of nowhere. Thought we had months to go. My next screenplay as I mentioned to Mike above should be ready and finished by the deadline, so all should be cool, but it is additional incentive to get my shit together and get motivated. I always find it helps when work has a destination, and somewhere in which to submit, so this helps.

Just checked the 2018 deadlines, for those wishing to enter:

There are three deadlines for 2018: early is March 7 ($45 entry fee), regular is April 10 ($60 entry fee), and late is May 1 ($85 entry fee). The online application form must be completed and a PDF version of the script uploaded by 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time on May 1.

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have any resources on great synopses examples? I'm about to submit a new feature project into a competition that requires one. Just looking for some inspiration. Thanks all!

Oct 27, 2017
I was really excited to enter Nicholl but I read the script I was planning to enter and oh boy does it need work. :/

I guess I have a couple months left but damn it's going to be close.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Allow me to do some shameless self promotion. Tuesday the animated short 'The Stonemason's Dream' will have it's premier at Anima festival in Brussels. I wrote the screenplay, and I'm freaking exited as it is a project a really loved working on. A short clip hit Vimeo. I'm sorry it's in dutch.

in this scene you see the stonemason getting a visit from a rich man, who likes to throw money at poor people (he thinks he's doing good, but he actually enjoys seeing them fight for scraps, as it makes him feel better.) He want's to give the stonemason a gold coin, but the man refuses, as he answers he's happy with his rock, his house and his tea. The rich man can't grasp how somebody as poor as the stonemason can be happy, and invites him to his castle, so he can indulge in the riches and be convinced he would be better of rich.

https://vimeo.com/254346238