• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Final predictions!

• GOAT

Votes: 131 8.4%
  • 95-99

Votes: 63 4.0%
  • 90-94 (As good as Bloodborne and Dark Souls 2)

Votes: 680 43.4%
  • 85-90 (As good as Dark Souls, Dark Souls 3 & Demon's Souls)

Votes: 598 38.2%
  • Below 85

Votes: 94 6.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
I still haven't spoiled myself by reading any reviews, just seeing the numbers is encouraging enough. I've always viewed From's (amazing) games as action games lying about being RPGs. The fact that Sekiro is just going full action with all sorts of new traversal and combat mechanics while keeping the things that I actually enjoy about the Souls/BB games (level design, lore building, cryptic storytelling, how the NPC quests work, the hidden areas, etc) and in a setting I enjoy much more than Bloodborne's Victorian theme..... my hype is set at a 10/10.
yes, the scores by themselves do not show how good the game could be, since I do not really like DS 2, but the Sekiro is a full action, so I have 0 concerns about the game

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018
Ive never played any of the From Software / Souls games, but very tempted to check this out

truly101

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't care about comparing Sekiro to Bloodborne, other Souls games, how hard is it compared to Nioh? I know thats a team Ninja game, but it follows the Souls formula and I could not wrap my head around it to be effective at all.

Jan 17, 2019
vestan

The poll should be

85-90 ( good as Dark Souls, Dark Souls 3 and Demon Souls )
and

91-94 ( as Bloodborne and Dark Souls 2 )

With 90-94 means it is good as Dark Souls 1,2,3, Demon's Souls and Bloodborne, not just with Dark Souls, Dark Souls 3 and Demon's Souls.. :D

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Gotta update the OP it's at 92 on Opencritic now.
Bloodborne territory...

nani.gif

... could my GOAT be rivalled twice in one gen...

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Man I dunno if I should get this, if it's really that hard it could be frustrating, especially with no online help. That is a positive with the Souls games, you don't have to keep banging your head against a wall to progress. I don't know if the difficulty is being overblown like it was for Dark Souls though.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Sekiro is less frustrating. There are no hidden enemies, no traps, there's a checkpoint at every corner, you don't lose everything when dying, you can resurrect yourself, you don't die when falling, you can sneak your way through, strong attacks are announced by a danger sign, etc.

But the actual combat is much harder in my opinion.
Damn those are literally all the issues I've had with From games. Might need to cop this one sooner rather than later

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Metacritic:

PS4 - 89
Xbox One (X) - 92
PC - 91

Why is the Xbox version above the Steam release? And why is this seperation even a thing?
The PS4 article has more than twice the reviews quoted than the other two, it will probably be the reference article, as it's far easier to score high with much fewer reviews.
This being said, because the reviews quoted are not the same sources, can't compare anyway.
All the reviews should be gathered under 1 article imo.

Bloodborne is actually 91 on Opencritic.
So is Sekiro now, it went down.

Jul 20, 2018
So how's spoilery are the video reviews?

IGN's shows at least one thing that I really would have preferred seeing in-game and I'm disappointed I saw it now. It's a continuation of something we saw in a trailer that would be SHOCKING if I didn't know about it.

Several other things are pretty spoilery but, y'know, can't expect them to not show the game. I don't blame them for anything, I am disappointed in myself.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I wish I had the patience and determination for FROM games, was able to get through a decent chunk of Bloodborne just based on my undying appreciation for anything cosmic horror, but besides that I definitely need assistance otherwise to get through the rest. Seeing this has no coop bums me out, especially with reading just how accurate you need to be with mini bosses and the like. Miyazaki is remarkable with atmosphere and world design, I wish someone else was able to capture even a whiff of his distinctive world building in something a bit less soul crushing difficulty-wise.

DragoonC

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Sweden
I'm torn on if I should get this. I'm afraid it might be too frustrating and getting stuck on every miniboss or similar is no fun.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
I wish I had the patience and determination for FROM games, was able to get through a decent chunk of Bloodborne just based on my undying appreciation for anything cosmic horror, but besides that I definitely need assistance otherwise to get through the rest. Seeing this has no coop bums me out, especially with reading just how accurate you need to be with mini bosses and the like. Miyazaki is remarkable with atmosphere and world design, I wish someone else was able to capture even a whiff of his distinctive world building in something a bit less soul crushing difficulty-wise.

well,imo the difficulty plays a big part on immersion. Being on your toes and feeling the lethality of the world and your enemies makes it seem like you are actually there. If the game was half as hard,it wouldn't be the same.If something looks dangerous,it probably is...in contrast with most of the games.

Difficulty is a core aspect to the general package imo and it saddens me that some people are afraid that they are not able to make it through the game(although I think this is kind of an illusion for most of them,they can,but they have to actually believe it).

So yeah patience,determination and wit is needed in FROM games and I think most of you have it,but don't realise it

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I mean, alternatively just watch a playthrough if you're stuck on a boss to see how people beat it.

That's my ninja way.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
IGN's shows at least one thing that I really would have preferred seeing in-game and I'm disappointed I saw it now. It's a continuation of something we saw in a trailer that would be SHOCKING if I didn't know about it.

Several other things are pretty spoilery but, y'know, can't expect them to not show the game. I don't blame them for anything, I am disappointed in myself.
If I were to just listen to the video reviews and not look at the TV - would that suffice as far as them not saying anything spoilery?

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sekiro is less frustrating. There are no hidden enemies, no traps, there's a checkpoint at every corner, you don't lose everything when dying, you can resurrect yourself, you don't die when falling, you can sneak your way through, strong attacks are announced by a danger sign, etc.

If course you lose stuff when you die. And of course you can die when falling. What are you talking about lol.

Dark_EMT

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
If I wasn't so broke I would probably dip. Once I see on sale I'll jump on it. I haven't even played the bloodborne dlc :(.

semiconscious

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Man I dunno if I should get this, if it's really that hard it could be frustrating, especially with no online help. That is a positive with the Souls games, you don't have to keep banging your head against a wall to progress. I don't know if the difficulty is being overblown like it was for Dark Souls though.

glad to see i'm not the only one who's noticed this very big difference between sekiro & what's come before. as i've mentioned elsewhere, as a off-line single-player action game, rather than an online one, sekiro has much more in common with ninja gaiden, devil may cry, god of war, & bayonetta, all of which feature difficulty levels, than it does with the souls games...

Deleted member 9237

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
DeS and DkS being at 89 while DkSII is at 91 shows how little these numbers relate to quality.

Anyway, lack of summoning is cool, will make watching LPs more enjoyable, when people can't chicken out on the bosses

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
Oh man. These reviews!

I won't be back to my PS4 until the end of the month, so I'll have to continue this media blackout - for video, anyway. I can't wait to play this. There's something about From games that don't get me as pissed off as they should. I guess it's because I know it's all about that learning curve, and the path to success is all about practice. It sounds like Sekiro has taken that formula, and mastered it. I can't wait.

jasius

Oct 28, 2017
From manages high praise again, with a game that has inconsistent framrate even on the "high end" consoles, and frame pacing issues on the "low end" ones, pretty incredible magic trick there, many other companies' games get split asunder and tossed into the 70's/7's pot for the same issues or even lower scores.

I have a PS4 Pro, I'm excited for, it but I'd rather if I could get even a solid 50 out of the game on it, I know 50 isn't good either but it's better than the fluctuating mid 30-40s that Digital Foundry found.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
From manages high praise again, with a game that has inconsistent framrate even on the "high end" consoles, and frame pacing issues on the "low end" ones, pretty incredible magic trick there, many other companies' games get split asunder and tossed into the 70's/7's pot for the same issues or even lower scores.
Who has made a great game that got a 70 metacritic solely due to frame pacing and/or fluctuating 30+ fps?

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Has there been a 10/10 from any major publication yet? Not kept up with the latest. Are we waiting on a lot of in progress reviews?

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017

What the hell?! I'm playing this game then. I'm playing it. You got me intrigued.

And you can actually pause in Sekiro right? Please tell me you can pause.

I cannot stand Souls games. But everything you typed has me really excited.