• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Username1198

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Space, Man
If you're using the move controllers the direction of your walk is slightly influenced by the heading of the left move controller. To make sure you're walking straight forward you need to hold it straight forward.

Ah! Did not know that, and it helped!

Here's what's maybe a bug I think;

My weapons keep floating wither away from me, or into each other etc. I have to jiggle the move controls to snap them back in front of me. Is this also a bug?

1 The direction of the left move needs to be facing the direction you want to go in and are looking in to move forward properly.
2 Hold the take button on the right move, you can't move bodies but items are fair game
3 Make sure you're not crouching by holding triangle, double tap the movement button to run as well. Personally I wish the character could slow down a little since he moves way too fast.

Thanks so much! Not being able to pick up items was driving me crazy.

And holy shot I just left riverrun and wow at the scale of mountains, and climbing in general. Man this game is sweet as hell.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Are they the power attack though? Or is it advantageous/stamina effecient to just swing away? Is there stamina?
I would run a little test on this if I had access to my PSVR tonight... after a full Friday SkyrimVR evening and getting hooked, of course we got a visitor staying over on the couch this Saturday...

If anyone has a save near an enemy encounter then let us know please (in regards to how swinging the PS Move affects weapon damage).

Belker

Oct 27, 2017
What are the visual comfort settings like? Can you turn off th field of view narrowing automatically?

Rigs had a crazy system where you had to go through the comfort settings in a tutorial, but couldn't turn them off until you had completed the tutorial - even if the tutorial was making you feel unwell.

Oct 27, 2017
How is using the move controllers vs the oculus rift controllers... I currently own an oculus rift... Am I going to be disappointed in the move? I've heard horrible things about the move wands in the past :(

Oct 25, 2017
I think they should be. Not every review is targeted at the same audience.

I honestly can't believe there's genuinely someone, let alone two people, advocating for reviews of specific games from people who always dislike games of that type.

Those reviews just are not helpful.

Here's my genuine opinion: I dont like FPS games, or Mario.

Now, I'd write shit reviews for every game that fell under those categories.

Now, who does that help? The people out there who don't like FPS games or Mario, like me, don't need that review.

Ridiculous scores achieved by this shit can drop a games avg from ~80/90 down to 70s, which is considered merely average, so you may disuade people who would otherwise love a game.

It's dumb practice, but Devs out there get bonus' based on metacritic scores nowadays. So this isn't necessarily trivial in impact either.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
How is using the move controllers vs the oculus rift controllers... I currently own an oculus rift... Am I going to be disappointed in the move? I've heard horrible things about the move wands in the past :(
All VR controllers should have had thumbsticks which unfortunately PS Move & Vive lacked the foresight to include. With that said, using the left move as an analogue works better than I expected (but it does add an extra albeit mild learning curve).
As for tracking: They all have sub-millimeter precision in ideal conditions. The optical nature of the PS Move though & with a single reference light per controller can introduce wobble if not proper calibration or too great camera distance. And they are easier to occlude compared to the other VR controllers. However I'm doing rapid bow & arrow action in Skyrim VR that feels as precise as the ones in The Lab using a Vive so under right conditions it's very good.

Oct 27, 2017
It is a 6 year old game remember though, And they had to make it smooth first and foremost with the 60fps, I actually am more immersed now in VR with Skyrim than i was with the remastered version that was pimped out visually. Each to there own though, Resi 7 and Farpoint are probably the best visually with PSVR. Stick with it though and you'll adapt and might even end up enjoying it and forgetting about the visuals.

The "6 year old" part is where some of that disappointment comes from regarding the visuals. Yes I know they have to make some concessions in order to get performance where it needs to be and yes I know the headset itself is limited resolution wise but I didn't expect such aggressive pop-in or how muddied the overall look is seemingly just a short way away from your character. It has it's moments of looking decent in interiors/caves but the outside areas leave a lot to be desired. Considering this seems to be a very base-level version of Skyrim I simply expected better presentation on the PS4 Pro at least (much less pop-in and the game tweaked a bit to improve the overall visuals given that the engine itself has seen a lot of change/improvements over the years with many different updates). Still a fun experience to an extent and I'm ultimately happy they brought it to PSVR but I probably would wait until it was in the $20-30 range if I had it to do over.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.

At their best, slightly less accurate in positioning. I mean...you're talking about a single camera not meant for this sort of thing to begin with vs an infrared flood on the high end. It's impressive it actually works at all, let alone decently so.

The only issue with move/ps camera is that it was never meant for VR tracking demands, so you typically get occlusion issues when you bring it near your headset. This results in jittery in-game move models or even the game world itself wobbling a bit as the camera tries to focus. Good news is that even when this happens, it rarely ever disrupts your aiming.

And to be fair, it can even happen with the Vive (though far less often).

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly can't believe there's genuinely someone, let alone two people, advocating for reviews of specific games from people who always dislike games of that type.

Those reviews just are not helpful.

Here's my genuine opinion: I dont like FPS games, or Mario.

Now, I'd write shit reviews for every game that fell under those categories.

Now, who does that help? The people out there who don't like FPS games or Mario, like me, don't need that review.

Ridiculous scores achieved by this shit can drop a games avg from ~80/90 down to 70s, which is considered merely average, so you may disuade people who would otherwise love a game.

It's dumb practice, but Devs out there get bonus' based on metacritic scores nowadays. So this isn't necessarily trivial in impact either.

They are helpful. They may not be helpful to you or the majority of the people but they can be helpful.

Its unfortunate that the metacritic score is important to the bonus' developers get. Don't see how that is something any outlet should consider while writing a review.

Anyway completely off topic. Sorry to derail the thread.

ranmafan

Oct 27, 2017
Yes!!!!!!! Even though I was told my copy would arrive on Wednesday, it just showed up at my door right now. Amazon US international shipping actually pulled through for once. Fantastic way to finish the weekend! I have a feeling Im going to be very busy with this game today.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Why is bow and arrow so awkward? And how the heck does aiming work?
PS. Old news for many I'm sure but it took me an hour of bow & arrow shooting before getting this:
Hold the PS Move controls in parallel to each other, both pointing to your roof.
At first I always held my arrow PS Move like I would hold it against a bow (90 degrees tilted when compared to the Bow PS Move) but behavior was sometimes odd.
With both in parallel facing the roof, a bit higher than my right shoulder, I'm shooting like Legolas cleaning out rooms in no time.
Your right hand isn't literally the arrow, it's your draw hand, so it should be parallel to your bow hand :)

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
You know I love the fact that I have nearly 5 hours in this and yet... If this was most other VR games I'd be nearing the end. The fact that I still have over 100 hours still left to go makes me so fucking giddy. :D

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
Just bought the Skyrim VR bundle for the Best Buy deal of $350!!! This is the new VR device, right? The one that won't mess with my HDR?

Deleted member 27315

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Briarios

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They are helpful. They may not be helpful to you or the majority of the people but they can be helpful.

Its unfortunate that the metacritic score is important to the bonus' developers get. Don't see how that is something any outlet should consider while writing a review.

Anyway completely off topic. Sorry to derail the thread.

It's not useful, because they are reviewing their bias, not the game. It would be impossible to get a good score from him because he hates VR -- that would never be a useful review.

Let's say I hate movies, what purpose would I have reviewing them? To me, they're all bad -- and, when I see one, I'll point out what I think is bad about it. Who is that for? People that already hate movies and would never go to one? Reviews are for people that are interested in a product to help them decide if it is for them or not. Someone already predisposed to hating something has no place trying to help people navigate the differences in products.

Grindlefly

Oct 26, 2017
Well I managed to do a 6hr stint last night. Went through with Delphine and ended up starting the Thieves Guild. I saved right before the 1st infiltration mission. I can't wait to do that in vr later today. VR has made this game incredible

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Amazon US has the Black Friday price for the Skyrim VR bundle ($349) up. Couldn't resist. This will be my first ever VR game (I also have Rez infinite, heard that's incredible), so I'm pretty excited to see what the fuss is about.

juicy

Oct 28, 2017
Amazon US has the Black Friday price for the Skyrim VR bundle ($349) up. Couldn't resist. This will be my first ever VR game (I also have Rez infinite, heard that's incredible), so I'm pretty excited to see what the fuss is about.

Thanks for the heads up - purchased! Now all I need is a sweet deal on a PS4 Pro and I'm good to go

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Is that PSVR bundle include the new PSVR? (Thinking of working out a deal with a friend. I really need that HDR pass through.)

Deleted member 3862

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thread title literally made me laugh out loud

This is one of the first VR games I'm genuinely interested in. Can't believe the long tail Skyrim has with its Switch release and this.

AM_LIGHT

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Really torn between this or the switch version. Currently don't own PSVR but that amazon bundle is tempting. Already own a ps4 pro

Toma

Scratching that Itch.io http://bit.ly/ItchERA
Oct 25, 2017
Really torn between this or the switch version. Currently don't own PSVR but that amazon bundle is tempting. Already own a ps4 pro
I'd probably make the decision based on how much portability you want from it. PSVR has tons of other great experiences as well.

Deleted member 10314

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Put in about 4 hours last night and I am impressed with it. I bought the psvr at launch so I'm used to it Now, it's positives and negatives. With Skyrim I could last about an hour before I needed a break, but I'm putting that down to my setup, which is fluid I think and basically running and jumping around everywhere, which is making me feel funny.
It's not a deal breaker by any means, I still love this version of the game. It feels like you are in Skyrim. I get what people are saying about how it looks a bit dated, but your mind "fills in the blanks" due to the immersion of it.
For new psvr users, I would get in the habit of tilting your head directly to what you're looking at, rather than keeping your head still and moving your eyes towards it. The image seems to be sharper at the centre of the lenses and it will look better.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Oh hold the triggers, I didn't realize you needed to do that.
What you're actually doing when holding the trigger is "holding the water". Once held, if you push it you will move backwards. If you pull it, you will move forward. So you can extend your arm, THEN hold the trigger and pull it towards you like a rope. Release trigger, rinse and repeat.

If you want to do the breaststroke, only hold the trigger for the "pulling motion" part of the stroke. When extending your arms, keep the trigger released or you'll push yourself backwards.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh can we pls stop talking about the GI review. If you disagree with it fine, there's a review thread, but this idea that reviews HAVE to be uniform is nonsense and not an issue in any other medium.

If you're enjoying Skyrim VR, which I am, that's great. The GI guy didn't and GI is not a PR firm that needs to make sure it gives games you like good reviews. There is plenty of positive buzz from other outlets, you can see how well it's done in the UK with PSVR bundles being sold out in many places, Bethesda is talking about future support so you know it's going well.

Stike

Oct 27, 2017
I double-dipped on the PSVR Skyrim bundle. I really REALLY want that HDR pass-through.

Now I just need to find someone who wants my V1 headset and the disk edition of Skyrim xD

Kaiser Swayze

Oct 30, 2017
Navigating the menus with the move controllers takes a long time to get used to but it does make some sort of sense (though shields are still under "apparel"). They need to patch in voice commands stat. That was one of the best features of playing Skyrim on the 360 with a Kinect attached. The time spent mucking around menus was virtually nil. Changing equipment and spells was a breeze. And you never had to select a shout before using it--you just shouted it.

ShadowRunner

Oct 29, 2017
Spent about 8 hours yesterday playing using a DS4 in one hand for character movement and a move in the other with a Greatsword, it works really well by far my prefered method of playing.

Even swapping out to a bow for the odd stealth kill, which means grabbing the second move siiting in my lap, adds to the immersion as it feals like you are swapping out weapons irl too.

Obviously this only works if you play 2 handed weapons but i highly reccomend it as you get precise character movement with the analogue stick as well as the immersion of 1:1 sword control. Really works well as you can start to dodge in an out of attacks and make precice lunges and side steps etc.

Also you can navigate menus with the left thumb stick playing like this so works well there also.

As an aside, one last think i did to add to the immersion is to light up a scented candle while playing to give a slight outdoors smell to the room, ill be keeping an eye out for a pine forest scented candle next time im out shopping ;)

weblaus

Oct 27, 2017
It's not useful, because they are reviewing their bias, not the game. It would be impossible to get a good score from him because he hates VR -- that would never be a useful review.

Let's say I hate movies, what purpose would I have reviewing them? To me, they're all bad -- and, when I see one, I'll point out what I think is bad about it. Who is that for? People that already hate movies and would never go to one? Reviews are for people that are interested in a product to help them decide if it is for them or not. Someone already predisposed to hating something has no place trying to help people navigate the differences in products.

I agree 100% on this.

There's a very hypothetical possibility that someone who hates a genre might says in a review "oh, but this one game here is the expection I do like" - but honestly, how likely is that to happen and why would you trust that person to get it right in this particular case and that this would apply to you. If you even read that review for a game in a genre you don't like yourself?

I've seen reviews of e.g. Visual Novels who got bad scores because the reviewer's main complain being that he was basically reading a book and that there was barely any interaction - well, duh. How is that supposed to be useful?

Oct 26, 2017
Spent about 8 hours yesterday playing using a DS4 in one hand for character movement and a move in the other with a Greatsword, it works really well by far my prefered method of playing.

Even swapping out to a bow for the odd stealth kill, which means grabbing the second move siiting in my lap, adds to the immersion as it feals like you are swapping out weapons irl too.

Obviously this only works if you play 2 handed weapons but i highly reccomend it as you get precise character movement with the analogue stick as well as the immersion of 1:1 sword control. Really works well as you can start to dodge in an out of attacks and make precice lunges and side steps etc.

Also you can navigate menus with the left thumb stick playing like this so works well there also.

As an aside, one last think i did to add to the immersion is to light up a scented candle while playing to give a slight outdoors smell to the room, ill be keeping an eye out for a pine forest scented candle next time im out shopping ;)

I was thinking of opening the door outside for that added wintery impression, but then I figured that if a cat or something came inside, it would probably give me a heart attack.

RedbullCola

Oct 26, 2017
So I've spent two hours in this now using Move controllers and smooth movement, and I've encountered zero motion sickness.

Just about to climb up to the Throat of the World.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
The "6 year old" part is where some of that disappointment comes from regarding the visuals. Yes I know they have to make some concessions in order to get performance where it needs to be and yes I know the headset itself is limited resolution wise but I didn't expect such aggressive pop-in or how muddied the overall look is seemingly just a short way away from your character. It has it's moments of looking decent in interiors/caves but the outside areas leave a lot to be desired. Considering this seems to be a very base-level version of Skyrim I simply expected better presentation on the PS4 Pro at least (much less pop-in and the game tweaked a bit to improve the overall visuals given that the engine itself has seen a lot of change/improvements over the years with many different updates). Still a fun experience to an extent and I'm ultimately happy they brought it to PSVR but I probably would wait until it was in the $20-30 range if I had it to do over.

That's a fair view to take and i can respect that, It wasn't built ground up for VR and i can cut it some slack purely based on the fact that the immersion you get replaces the loss in visuals, Not to mention usually we would of lost content aswell to fit it all in VR, But nope, We get all the content, Get Move support and all that comes with it. There's tradeoffs to be made and i personally was fine with them the instant i was looking around and felt like i was using a sword/shield.

This is the first of it's kind, If we all support it now, Then you would imagine further down the line we would get similar experiences but with better visuals. I think the £50 price is debatable aswell, But it does come with all the dlc so yeah maybe £30 is the sweet spot.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone explain movement to me? It sounds incredibly cumbersome and tedious. Is there a way to free move like in Residenf Evil?

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Can anyone explain movement to me? It sounds incredibly cumbersome and tedious. Is there a way to free move like in Residenf Evil?
Using a controller makes the game just like Resident Evil. Using a Move you use either use one Move like a giant joystick, or you teleport. There's a learning curve to the Moves but it seems like most people prefer them after a while. I'll try them today.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Using a controller makes the game just like Resident Evil. Using a Move you use either use one Move like a giant joystick, or you teleport. There's a learning curve to the Moves but it seems like most people prefer them after a while. I'll try them today.

Great, that's about what I was expecting. While free movement fatigues me after about 2 hours, I just couldn't see a game of this length be anything but tedious with the chess-grid rails movement.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
I use the Moves, And now it's second nature kinda thing in the movement, Pretty easy to remember what to press for menu's and that now after learning them. Couldn't imagine using the DS4 afterwards, I feel the moves add alot too the immersion whether that be using the bow, Carrying a torch, Using spells and holding a sword.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
This really is something else.

It controls pretty damn well with the moves. Though when I look left it activates my shield for some reason.

Kenjovani

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ah! Did not know that, and it helped!

Here's what's maybe a bug I think;

My weapons keep floating wither away from me, or into each other etc. I have to jiggle the move controls to snap them back in front of me. Is this also a bug?

Thanks so much! Not being able to pick up items was driving me crazy.

And holy shot I just left riverrun and wow at the scale of mountains, and climbing in general. Man this game is sweet as hell.
713-9079

Impressions like these, in terms of the scale, are really convincing me to buy it next week. Thanks for the feedback.