• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I completely forgot Frozen Wilds
So the earliest is March 2021, launch title seems unlikely at this point

Maybe that's why Sony would like to "delay" some unannounced PS4 games to make them cross-gen

Don't believe that any of the remaining PS4 exclusives would be cross-gen. Except for Little Big Planet 3, Sony simply doesn't do that. Plus, when PS5 has backwards compatibility with PS4, there's no reason for them to be cross-gen. Buy the PS4 version, download the PS5 game update and good to go.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah, I'm not terribly keen on MP in Horizon 2. If GG does implement it, I trust it will be done well without detracting from the single-player experience.

Come to think of it, Bloodborne style invasions could be fun, if not too frequent.

Nov 21, 2017
Worldwide Studio Games I'm expecting at launch for PS5:
New Ratchet and Clank (PS5)
Demon's Souls Remake (PS5/PS4)
Ghost of Tsushima (PS5/PS4)

Not expecting a ton of exclusives at launch because of strong 3rd party support with a new COD, Battlefield, Assassin's Creed, and Cyberpunk all also launching in Fall 2020.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some basic co-op functionality could be cool Horizon 2, as long as it doesn't intrude on the quality of the single player experience.

Could be RE style where they give Aloy a partner character that can be controlled by AI or another player (or taken a step further and giving the option to turn them off altogether).

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited for Horizon 2 either way. There's a lot of potential for the sequel, and I can't wait to see what GG will do.

Oct 25, 2017
He said the game was behind schedule back in December 2017. It was to do with the SAG-AFTRA strike and they couldn't do voice/performance work for around a year because of that. It caused some difficulties in their schedule, but was resolved and all the voice work (English) is done now. This is the same thing he is referring to when it was brought up in that interview last week. He's being honest, which is all we can ask for. Conan can't show the game because Kojima asked for discretion and wants to be in control of how the game is marketed including its mechanics which are supposed to be complete spoilers.
Is he really referencing to that strike in the recent interview? Maybe Google translation left out something but I don't see him stating more than "it's slightly delayed from the initial plan but not by much". Doesn't sound like they're back in the initial schedule.

The Conan thing sounds ok.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Would rather see online multi-player in Horizon instead of co-op simply because co-op would then be implemented into the single player campaign and as seen in Far Cry 5 and New Dawn, it simply makes the game worse. Besides, who would the second character be anyway? Two Aloy's? Hell no. That would quite simply be stupid.

But it's okay, co-op and online multi-player is what Killzone 5 will be for. :)

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Not expecting a ton of exclusives at launch because of strong 3rd party support with a new COD, Battlefield, Assassin's Creed, and Cyberpunk all also launching in Fall 2020.

Agree with Ratchet & Clank 2 and the third party games. Don't see GOT being cross-gen. If anything, it would simply be backwards compatible. Demon's Souls Remake is unlikely because doesn't Atlus own that IP?

Nov 21, 2017
Agree with Ratchet & Clank 2 and the third party games. Don't see GOT being cross-gen. If anything, it would simply be backwards compatible. Demon's Souls Remake is unlikely because doesn't Atlus own that IP?

Sony owns the Demon's Souls IP not Atlus. Atlus only published the PS3 version in the US because SIEA had no faith in the game. If Atlus owned it you damn well know Sega would have released a PC port on before Yakuza and Catherine. Sony has always owned the IP. Regarding Ghost of Tsushima when I list PS5/PS4 it is one version just will be available to play on both systems.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
I mean Horizon: Zero Dawn 2 with multiplayer would fill in the niche for "Monster Hunter but with internet systems that aren't stuck in the PSP era"

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony owns the Demon's Souls IP not Atlus. Atlus only published the PS3 version in the US because SIEA had no faith in the game. If Atlus owned it you damn well know Sega would have released a PC port on before Yakuza and Catherine. Sony has always owned the IP. Regarding Ghost of Tsushima when I list PS5/PS4 it is one version just will be available to play on both systems.

Okay. I always thought Sony passed on the game completely and was then picked up by Atlus and thus owned the IP. Kinda makes you wonder why Sony hasn't done anything with the IP since they own it and why they made a deal with From Software for Bloodborne instead of Demon's Souls 2. Very interesting to say the least.

John Frost

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Okay. I always thought Sony passed on the game completely and was then picked up by Atlus and thus owned the IP. Kinda makes you wonder why Sony hasn't done anything with the IP since they own it and why they made a deal with From Software for Bloodborne instead of Demon's Souls 2. Very interesting to say the least.

Bluepoint Games :)

Maybe.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't a lot of people speculate that Bluepoint is currently working on a Demon's Souls remake?

Nov 21, 2017

Actually a big reason they decided to collaborate on Bloodborne is because they realized the big mistake they made on not capitalizing on Demon's Souls.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Regarding Horizon, correct me if I'm wrong but didn't they say they made a lot of the characters and assets so high quality originally that they could be used in future sequels? Or am I getting my wires crossed with Gran Turismo? If so I imagine that's got to help a bit in shortening dev time

Gerwant

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, I see this crazy Killzone talk again. I will show you how the audience would react to the announcement of the new Killzone at PS Meeting or E3:

Hermen Hulst would be like:

giphy.gif

Oct 27, 2017
I'll never understand why some people think we're getting a new Killzone before HZD2. Guerrilla spend almost a full decade doing nothing but Killzone, you don't make a highly successful brand new IP just to go back to your old IP immediately after, especially when that old IP never saw huge success.
And even with all those FPS related hires I think it's more likely that we'll be seeing a brand new FPS IP instead of a new Killzone. We got 4 console games, just let it die, that's what you should do with an IP which still hasn't seen big success after 4 games.

I kind of agree. I would most like to see them apply their experience and lessons learned from the success of HZD and the failures of the KZ series to a new IP; preferably one with a thorough campaign, full co-op, maybe some sort of built-in horde mode and multiplayer too. I know that's asking for a lot, but launching into such a competitive field with so many established brands would mean they would need to hit the floor running and offer a lot of polished content out of the box.

All that being said, I wouldn't mind a reboot of the Killzone IP. Either do a prequel set way before the events of the first game or just start anew with better writing, better level design,

Horizon sequel probably started production 3 weeks/1 month after Horizon Zero Dawn released (Cory had only 2 weeks between God of War 2005 and God of War 2)
If Horizon sequel is for Oct/Nov 2020 (PS5 launch), that's already 3 full years and 5-6 months of development (4 years if you expect the game for March 2021), that's enough I guess especially when it's not their 1st action-RPG but it will be their 2nd and they already have the world, characters, etc...

Simon Larouche joined Guerrilla on Feb 2018 as Game Director, I don't think his game will be ready for PS5 launch
And if Horizon is out Q4 2020 or Q1 2021, his game will release 2 years after that and that would give minimum 4 years of development if his game is out in 2022

You can't compare launching games two generations ago though because the market was totally different. Nowadays games are supported with patches and bug fixes for months and HZD had a substantial story DLC which launched 9 months later. I'd imagine the bulk of the studio were not able to transition to any new project until after The Frozen Wilds had launched.

If I recall correctly, From themselves published it in Japan, Sony published it in Asia, Atlus published it in North America and Namco published it in Europe.

Doesn't a lot of people speculate that Bluepoint is currently working on a Demon's Souls remake?

Yes, that it widely expected. Plus, Jason Schreier hinted that he expected a Demon's remake was in development a couple of weeks ago, so that's added more fuel to the fire too.

Dussck

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I'll never understand why some people think we're getting a new Killzone before HZD2. Guerrilla spend almost a full decade doing nothing but Killzone, you don't make a highly successful brand new IP just to go back to your old IP immediately after, especially when that old IP never saw huge success.
And even with all those FPS related hires I think it's more likely that we'll be seeing a brand new FPS IP instead of a new Killzone. We got 4 console games, just let it die, that's what you should do with an IP which still hasn't seen big success after 4 games.

They don't start on a new game when the last game hits the shelve. Even with a single team there are concept artists and writers starting on a new project probably years before the last game is shipped. Do you think they'll start Horizon 2 when they don't even know if the first one will be a succes?

Also: people hear certain things.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
I'm pretty sure no one who wants multiplayer wants a crap implementation. The idea that, "Multi-player is here so it must be crap," is one of the most mind-boggingly weird complaints I've read in this OT.

I never said anything about that, just said that for example games like DA: I which feature a co op mode in which you either grind really hard or you pay real cash to advance further is better to not even be included.

What if it's good MP implementation though, like with Uncharted 2?

Or even Last of Us which had one of the most surprising MP portion of a game for me last gen. I mean for me MAG was the most insane MP game I ever played outside of WOW open world PvP and EVE Online.

Oct 27, 2017
Or even Last of Us which had one of the most surprising MP portion of a game for me last gen. I mean for me MAG was the most insane MP game I ever played outside of WOW open world PvP and EVE Online.

MAG was the tits. It just launched a few years early, sadly. Imagine if it had been an F2P game launching early this gen, and then they later patched a Battle Royale mode into it! One of the only MP games I've ever really gotten into.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich

Launch window:
Bloodborne 2
GT7
Horizon Second Dawn
Dreams Supercharged

But I think the launch will mostly be carried by backwards compatibility and 4k, 60FPS versions of God Of War, Spider-Man, The Last Of Us 2, Ghost of Tsushima and Death Stranding.

Status
Not open for further replies.