• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HDMF76

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh fuck yes please.
Do a reboot to the original 3 games. The age where everyone blindly runs after that action money seem to be finally over.

What a ridiculous comment. People didnt blindly follow the action money, the entite series has been stellar. They gave us options and different approaches along the way, they never removed stealth and the action elements they introduced were brilliant.

OldMuffin

Nov 1, 2017
i remember Ancel told, that showing Beyond Good & Evil 2 on E3 wouldn't be appropriate.
Well, we all know how it turned out.
Well there you go, lying about stuff cause they can still have surprises. Especially in Ubisoft's case since their stuff tends to leak a lot.

Perfect for gamepass too.
I've never gotten this whole hope it's an exclusive thing, but with game pass it actually sounds appealing.

Angeal78

Game Producer at MistWall Studio
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Conviction and Black List were awesome the only thing I need is more animations Jhon Wick style.

Psoelberg

Oct 26, 2017
It's going to be interesting to see how Ubisoft will handle a Splinter Cell title in 2018 - with their current approach to singleplayer, multiplayer and Gaas.

Flagship

Nov 6, 2017
TheBrokenMan said:
So what do you guys think? Now that MGS is over, do you think Splinter Cell will take the throne?

Mark and Execute me if old.

Personally I think that was always the case with every installment. Yes MGSV has some great gameplay mechanics and ideas but nothing came close to what each of the SC installments offered on the gameplay front in both SP and MP.

Story wise, I really liked the branches in double agent.

And the spinoff approach conviction has to its mechanics and also having my personal favourite MP and CO-OP in the franchise.

Blacklist is legitimately in my top 10 favourite game's of all time. I've played it 2.5 times, great amount of content and I love the unprecedented level of playstyles and approach to gameplay with pacifist options too. It made a lot of newer game's like uncharted 4 feel completely inferior to the options that game presents to you.

Hoping this news of an announcement is true!

Compsiox

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be very surprised if there is no GAAS portion.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
OH SHIT. That makes me really happy. Please be great. Please be great. Focus on stealth and hiding in the dark.

Also, GAAS Spies vs Mercs? Yes. Fuckin. Please.

Neural

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
If true, they'll probably go open world, or at least something with very open and replayable environments. Both Hitman and MGS V solutions could do for them, but being Spliter Cell more indoor-focused, the Hitman one could be the best fit.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What a ridiculous comment. People didnt blindly follow the action money, the entite series has been stellar. They gave us options and different approaches along the way, they never removed stealth and the action elements they introduced were brilliant.
Fucking everybody did man. Splinter Cell, Dead Space, Resident Evil. Everything with slower paced gameplay got the CoD/Coop treatment for a few years.
People also call the action elements in Resi6 brilliant. That's still a shitty game. I never even said Blacklist and Co are shitty though.
I just prefer it when the leveldesign/maplayout and encounter design are tailored to stealth. That's all.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Please no more "We designed these missions to be more fun when you're not stealthy...but you can be stealthy if you want!"

Yeah I can be stealthy in Halo games too. Just because it's an option doesn't make it a good stealth game. Stop with this half-added bullshit.
Forced stealth is typically bad design. The Splinter Cell series dramatically improved in quality the further it moved away from clunky forced stealth mechanics. Chaos Theory outright mocks the idea of being forced to avoid combat, with the snark about how "This isn't a videogame." Splinter Cell Blacklist combines brilliant stealth design with extremely good third person shooting mechanics. Sam Fisher is canonically a crack shot and agile super agent. The "can't hit a light bulb from 4 meters away due to insane weapon sway" shtick the first two Splinter Cell games and to a lesser extent Chaos Theory and Double Agent had going was really, really dumb.

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (and Blacklist) is rooted in to some degree immersive sim design ideas, and part of that is player freedom. You don't tangle the player up in nonsense and arbitrary rules. You give them tools and let them use those tools to accomplish the tasks allocated to them. Another aspect of immersive sim design is the notion of no game over states except player death. Now of course even Blacklist has side missions where being spotted is game over. But the game generally doesn't stoop to "You were seen by the janitor so now it's game over because reasons."

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fucking everybody did man. Splinter Cell, Dead Space, Resident Evil. Everything with slower paced gameplay got the CoD/Coop treatment for a few years.
Splinter Cell featured MP elements since Pandora Tomorrow. Dead Space was originally planned as a co-op game, but they had trouble making the co-op work. Resident Evil tried to introduce co-op since the first game.

Meanwhile Call of Duty games with story co-op? Quite rare.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Always strange seeing gamers wanting games to be taken away from other gamers. Guess in the console wars marketing deals and exclusive content is not enough.
Seriously...
If something is exclusive for whatever reason then that's it, can't be helped. But to wish for it? That's some really sad shit.
Splinter Cell featured MP elements since Pandora Tomorrow. Dead Space was originally planned as a co-op game, but they had trouble making the co-op work. Resident Evil tried to introduce co-op since the first game.

Meanwhile Call of Duty games with story co-op? Quite rare.
Did you miss the slash? Do you know what that means?
If you think my main problem with Resi6, Dead Space 3(or even 2) and later Splinter Cell games is the co-op you you're being intentionally obtuse.
Reread what my original comment said. Or even the whole comment you cut out of your quote for some reason.

Last edited:

MidnightMania

Oct 31, 2017
I hope we can throw chairs again in this one!

pMUo7DQ.jpg

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how this franchise will fit into ubisofts recent games as a service initiative. The splinter cell franchise is one of my favorites of all time, so im all for it to have "live game" features with regular updates.

It has one of the most unique MP modes in gaming. Plus, I am sure they can figure out how to add a BR mode to it.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Always strange seeing gamers wanting games to be taken away from other gamers. Guess in the console wars marketing deals and exclusive content is not enough.
Splinter Cell is an interesting example if you think about it, though, because the first three games were technological showcases for the superiority of Microsoft's hardware through their use of dynamic lighting and shadowing and huge, complex levels. The PS2 and Gamecube received ports, but they were increasingly compromised. Ubisoft did amazing work, and Chaos Theory on PS2 is pretty awesome, but it can't hold a candle to the PC/Xbox version.

But that was a long time ago, and the immense hardware gulf between the Xbox and other 6th gen consoles isn't really reflected in the modern industry lineup.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Blacklist somehow turned out well almost by accident, but I'm not putting much faith on lightning striking twice. I just hope they take the Rainbow approach to mechanic quality over the everything-else-Ubisoft-does approach of bloated open world games.

cHinzo

Oct 27, 2017
Welp, perfect time to release a stealth battle royal mode with this game. I hope it had a co-op campaign if it's real.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I understand why they sped it up with conviction and blacklist, and I liked both of those games, but I've been craving a very slow pace, "realistic" stealth game in the vein of the first 3-4 games so much lately. I really hope they somehow go back to that.

If they make this a proper successor to Chaos Theory, I will lose my mind. There's nothing Ubi could announce that would make me more happy.

Ok, maybe it's tied with another Rayman game. But yeah.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Please no more "We designed these missions to be more fun when you're not stealthy...but you can be stealthy if you want!"

Yeah I can be stealthy in Halo games too. Just because it's an option doesn't make it a good stealth game. Stop with this half-added bullshit.

This is a garbage post lmfao

Some of the greatest stealth games offer open-ended playstyles for anyone to tackle, doesn't make it any less of a stealth action title

The issue isn't in the playstyle versatility but rather the balancing designed around supporting multiple playstyles -- which Blacklist manages without any sort of holding back of the core stealth template

It's gonna be like watchdongs 2 but just stealth T_T

It all depends on who the hell is developing this

But god damn if it's open world I'm gonna be big mad

Jan 2, 2018
Well,comments from their CEO last year were defenitley strongly hinted at a return at somepoint..hope it's true. Now revive POP Ubisoft.

EndlessNever

Oct 25, 2017
It'll be interesting to see what they do with the IP to make it more "modern" with what generally aligns with Ubisoft titles.

I'm sure I'll buy it regardless, unless they truly fucked it up but I don't see that happening.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
If they do plan to use the WD template I hope they go for 1 and not 2.

The one thing that 1 did well was combat and encounter and they took that away in 2 and shat on it.
Yeah 2 was way too easy and by the numbers because they had to cater to every playstyle.

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Motherfucking yes.

Chaos Theory-style or fast paced, I'm OK with either. I really loved basically every single Splinter Cell game I've played.