• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep, good casting.

And I like Discovery's rotating saucer section, just the hull and nacelles do nothing for me

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
Photos from the 2019 Star Trek Calendar have a better look at Discovery's Enterprise.

DaTUuvsX0AAGLnk.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/TrekCore/status/983144522984062976

ansonmount.png__960x480_q85_crop_upscale.jpg

latest

With hair and makeup that's a pretty great likeness.

On point, both those bits of news. Confirmed we will be getting a couple of episodes with the Enterprise crew then, and it won't just be a tease.

I'm also with those who think Spock should sit Discovery out, or at least not cast Quinto. Nothing against Quinto, but I agree it would be confusing to have him in both universe, although there's not reason he shouldn't look the same.

Can't wait for Season 2.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
They are not going to cast anyone from the movie for the TV series. They would have hired Bruce Greenwood as Pike if that was the case.

ProtomanNeo

Oct 27, 2017
Really like the show but I'm nervous about the introduction of the Enterprise. The writers say that this is the prime universe and they know what they are doing but butting up against the original can cause too many problems. Hell my only real gripe with Discovery is Sarek behaved out of character on numerous occasions.

Not

Oct 25, 2017
US
Would be cool if they found someone who actually looks like Leonard Nimoy. Even though Quinto needs the work.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017

This photo never fails to amuse me, like half of them don't have enough lines in the show to probably get paid beyond scale, or even have it count towards getting a SAG card.

You mean to tell me the Klingons can completely transform a Klingon into a human, transfer a human psyche into said body, and the Federation/Starfleet can't fix some burn scarring?

Last edited:

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Section 31 better have a long long long long long long long long lost distance relative of Sloan, just for fun

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
This photo never fails to amuse me, like half of them don't have enough lines in the show to probably get paid beyond scale, or even have it count towards getting a SAG card.
Yeah the lack of development for most of the bridge crew compared to most previous Treks was disappointing.
Hopefully they get more screen time next season.

Yoshi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Yeah the lack of development for most of the bridge crew compared to most previous Treks was disappointing.
There is a lot of development, see how many have died already!

It is a bit strange that in a series that puts so much emphasis on personality rather than larger scale questions and politics (which to me is a bad choice, but a respectable anyway, because this is quite popular right now), almost no work is done to develop the characters outside a very narrow primary cast.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
I think there is an element of it that makes sense. Have a more direct first season, get people interested then take time to explore the cast later. People don't hang around to watch a whole series of slower paced character development in a first series as much as they did when say TNG aired.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I think there is an element of it that makes sense. Have a more direct first season, get people interested then take time to explore the cast later. People don't hang around to watch a whole series of slower paced character development in a first series as much as they did when say TNG aired.
I don't buy that. It just seems they convinced themselves this was Michael's story and every other character was/is secondary. I think what we need are B plots or something, because a lot of the time when there was a captain focused episode there was still development for the crew in some other plot.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
It made sense though since the focus unlike past shows wasn't on the bridge crew. It was focused on the circle around Michael. Since she's now on the bridge that can change. I think it was a more organic approach. I think people also forget that the cast is now smaller thus allowing for them to play more of a role.

I would argue that it isn't out of line for us to not know that much about the bridge crew. Think back to the bridge of the Enterprise in TNG. There are about a dozen people on that bridge. We know and focus on Picard, Riker, Troi, Data, and Worf. Once in a while LaForge and Crusher would be there. Same with Wesley and that's usually to replace one of the others. However there were only 5 that were the focus and had any speaking lines on the regular. In Discovery we had Lorca, Burnham, Tyler, and Saru. We go back and forth to Stamets and Tilly in engineering (would be LaForge in TNG or Scotty in TOS). TOS was the Kirk, Spock, and McCoy show when he was on the bridge. Everyone else had a line or two an episode, maybe. People forget it wasn't really until the film that Uhura, Sulu, and Checkov got a lot of focus. They got popular cause they were constantly there.

The balance really isn't that much different compared to other shows. Voyager and Enterprise are the shows where all of the main cast are pretty much the entire bridge crew I think.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
DS9 had the biggest cast I think there were so many characters that got development

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
It's the shorter seasons. It's hard to flesh out a large cast with 13 episodes or less.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
DS9 had the biggest cast I think there were so many characters that got development
DS9 is in its own category I think because the cast is so big. However it takes the entire series for all the characters to get their due I think. Nog and his father for example are a non-factor for a significant chunk of the show from what I remember and they were there day 1. Been a while since I've seen season 1 (going to be doing a rewatch in a few weeks) I think the first season is what mainly focused on Sisko, Kira, O'Brian, and Quark.

Yeah the shorter seasons are going to make this more of an issue. This why I'm in favor of two or three episodes dropped in the off season (filmed during the season of course) that just focused on some characters. Events through their eyes. So we at least get some content between seasons.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
It made sense though since the focus unlike past shows wasn't on the bridge crew. It was focused on the circle around Michael. Since she's now on the bridge that can change. I think it was a more organic approach. I think people also forget that the cast is now smaller thus allowing for them to play more of a role.

I would argue that it isn't out of line for us to not know that much about the bridge crew. Think back to the bridge of the Enterprise in TNG. There are about a dozen people on that bridge. We know and focus on Picard, Riker, Troi, Data, and Worf. Once in a while LaForge and Crusher would be there. Same with Wesley and that's usually to replace one of the others. However there were only 5 that were the focus and had any speaking lines on the regular. In Discovery we had Lorca, Burnham, Tyler, and Saru. We go back and forth to Stamets and Tilly in engineering (would be LaForge in TNG or Scotty in TOS). TOS was the Kirk, Spock, and McCoy show when he was on the bridge. Everyone else had a line or two an episode, maybe. People forget it wasn't really until the film that Uhura, Sulu, and Checkov got a lot of focus. They got popular cause they were constantly there.

The balance really isn't that much different compared to other shows. Voyager and Enterprise are the shows where all of the main cast are pretty much the entire bridge crew I think.

I mean, just going by cast photos, what all the shows consider principle characters are about the same, with TNG actually having less principles than Discovery once you get past the seasons with Wesley. Counting ancillary or recurring characters is a wash because those will always be there for antogonists and the like when there isn't a revealed obvious constant antogonist. I mean, I don't mind the format, just don't parade these people in front as principles when they obviously are not. I really hope the robot woman doesn't sit in makeup for four hours everyday for the amount of screen time she gets.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I watched the episode of the original series where Sarek first appears and it's said he and Spock haven't spoken for eighteen years by then. Sarek had seemingly never forgiven Spock for joining the Federation until the events of the original series, no doubt complicated further by the new canon that Michael could have joined the Vulcans instead.

Makes me wonder if Sarek is just going to avoid Spock the whole time since this is a good ten years before they make up. Curious how Michael will react to Spock too, now she knows Sarek chose him over her and both ended up with the Federation anyway.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure some will like this

Star Trek: Discovery has no plans to return to the Mirror Universe for season 2

"The Mirror Universe was perfect for season one," showrunner Gretchen J Berg told ET, "because one of the themes of the season was literally self-discovery for Michael Burnham, figuring out who she was

"In order to return to Mirror, we would have to have a really good reason to go, better than the reason that we went this year. What we've learned on Star Trek is never say never about anything, but for now, I'm really proud of the story we told in Mirror, and we're going to let people sit with those for a while and maybe we'll be going back again in the future."

Although this sounds bad

Star Trek: Discovery – What is Section 31, and how will it impact season two?

Alan Van Sprang has revealed some information about that Section 31 Discovery clip. "It was the cliffhanger from season 1, and they pulled it and made it the season 2 teaser trailer," he said. He also confirmed he'll be appearing in season 2.

"I know it's going to be a massive part of it, but I honestly… and it's not like I'm holding any secrets, like Jason Isaacs sitting here saying, 'Oh I knew who I was, and what I was doing,' no, I really have no idea. But I'm definitely a big part of season 2."

Edit: one more bit of news

Last edited:

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bullshit throwaway comment. If anything they've adhered to canon beyond all expectations.

Some parts might look different visually but if you expected tinfoil and cardboard in 2017 I dunno what to tell you

They've broke canon loads of times, and updating visuals (like Enterprise did) is different from introducing technology later series went of the way to make clear did not exist in TOS era or before.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They've broke canon loads of times, and updating visuals (like Enterprise did) is different from introducing technology later series went of the way to make clear did not exist in TOS era or before.
Again if you think that they need to adhere to a basic vision of the future then you're cutting off their legs to spite yourself. They'd be crawling to tell stories.

Holograms didn't exist in 1966.
Women were eye candy and used only as set dressing in 1966.
You know what else happened in 1966? They painted white guys in black paint, or blackface if you will. they then called them savages and labelled them as Klingons.

In 2018 they're a more fleshed out, redesigned enemy. Do you think they should have stuck to the original design too?

Oh wait. Gene Roddenberry redesigned them for TMP. I guess retcons are fine sometimes.

It's a fricking science fiction show. If it helps pretend that you're watching TOS through a high definition lens.

Oct 25, 2017
Other than the redesigns have they really retcon anything?

Michael being step sister to spock isn't a retcon, it doesn't change previous canon just like Sybok didn't change previous canon because Spock never mentioned anything about his family/siblings other than his parents in TOS.

The early Holodeck stuff they showed might be a little too early except Discovery is a science ship and so they would probably have early prototypes for stuff so it's a stretch but believable enough.

The other thing I remember being mentioned is the Klingons having cloak technology but if I remember they've never clearly stated when they get it right? It was one of those EU things.

Other than that what else has Discovery really done against established canon?

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
There's a few minor details, like how in DS9 Martok mentions how - to highlight how dangerous the Breen were - even the Klingons had never considered an outright attack against Earth; the implication being that by the time the two were at active hostilities with each other, the Klingons would see that as too risky. If he'd said they had never managed to that would be a different story, but that's not the implication. Or how there were supposed to be encounters with the Klingons prior to this war, with the only explanation that can now work being that they were random raids that never led to outright hostilities because they were assumed as some assholes rather than representative of the Empire. Otherwise most of it can be stretched with some Obi-Wan level 'from a certain point of view' thinking. So while a 'holodeck' exists in Discovery, it might only run pre-existing, programmed simulations with otherwise limited capabilities - like no proper texture or smell - rather than the 'Invent pretty much anything' approach as by the time of TNG.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Klingons having a cloaking device is a huge break in canon if we are discussing the political implications of gaining and using that technology. Klingons really shoukdn't Have cloaking technology before Romulans.

Still, how the Klingons got the cloaking device is a mystery and I am convinced that will be addressed at some point.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, cloaking devices, though that one's honestly not even Discovery's canon break really. After all, the cloaking device first revealed in Balance of Terror is a romulan device, and is treated as a new and innovative technology then... even though the NX-01 had apparently been encountering several variants of them over a century beforehand.

Honestly the only way to rectify cloaking devices at this stage is vague ideas of what kind of cloaking devices they are.

Oct 25, 2017
Ohh also in TAS, Enterprise did have a recreation room which employed Holo tech, so the early tech was already around by that time.

Honestly none of this stuff seems all that important in regards to prime canon.