• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How will AMD and Amazon open on Wednesday?

• AMD + more than 5%

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • AMD +/- 5%

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • AMD - more than 5%

• AMZN + more than 5%

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • AMZN +/- 5%

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • AMZN - more than 5%

• Shrug

Votes: 4 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tom Penny

Oct 26, 2017
I can't keep buying dips in my brokerage account. Running out of money. Have to save it for big lump into something 👎

Lunchbox-

Nov 2, 2017
bEast Coast
I can't keep buying dips in my brokerage account. Running out of money. Have to save it for big lump into something 👎
you wanna go full degen? you gotta commit

-order a 15 month 0% interest credit card
-put all your expenses on that card
-use that money you would've used on food and gas to fund your account
-until you profit, keep paying the minimum on the card, use the money to buy the dip. remember 0 interest for a limited time
-once you profit sell the stocks, withdraw the money and payoff the card, you have 15 months to do this

is there a chance you might become homeless doing this? yes
but can you profit? also yes

OP
OP
Sheepinator

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
That's really strange that Netflix added 9M subs. All I hear around here is that they're dead, and the password thing was going to destroy them.

Oct 25, 2017
Brutal month so far. I tremble to see what we get next week with big tech.

Edit: Wait why are they dropping so big, they beat on earnings with strong sub growth? What more do people want lol
Selling at their "peak"? Redistributing those funds for other firesales?
That's really strange that Netflix added 9M subs. All I hear around here is that they're dead, and the password thing was going to destroy them.
Era bubble™️

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
I could probably write a novel about how for the average era user. Netflix peaked in their mind when they were a 20 something doing their 3rd year of college probably a decade ago.

Anyway Netflix is gonna get crushed because their lowered their Q2 guidance. Oh and for a fun fact for the thread. Next year they won't report quarterly membership numbers or average revenue per member.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sheepinator

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
NEXT quarter is the one NFLX is doomed, I tell ya!

Once again...

K0rzrzt.gif

Cinnamon

Jan 18, 2023

I could probably write a novel about how for the average era user. Netflix peaked in their mind when they were a 20 something doing their 3rd year of college probably a decade ago.

Many Era users adopt a very US-centric perspective when considering Netflix's business model. This viewpoint overlooks a crucial aspect of Netflix's expansion strategy: the significant growth of its subscriber base in international markets.

Netflix is available in over 190 countries. Most streaming services are simply not available in most markets.

For example, Max is not available in Canada, Australia or the United Kingdom.

In some of these markets, Netflix is the only major streaming service.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Many Era users adopt a very US-centric perspective when considering Netflix's business model. This viewpoint overlooks a crucial aspect of Netflix's expansion strategy: the significant growth of its subscriber base in international markets.

Netflix is available in over 190 countries. Most streaming services are simply not available in most markets.

For example, Max is not available in Canada, Australia or the United Kingdom.

In some of these markets, Netflix is the only major streaming service.
Don't even get me started on Era and international streaming markets haha. When Netflix stock tanked because they missed a subscriber growth metric (from dropping Russia due to the war and secretly the money no longer being worth it). I was one of two people that reminded everyone the drop off did not come from America and was so easily explainable Netflix could correct in no time. Because the billions they spent on international programing was working and doing everything it needed to.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand…how is Netflix down 25-30pts when it crushed the 3.9m sub estimate and added 9.3m??
Earnings are never about current quarter or annual results anymore -- they're about how much you're going to make in the future. Unless a company really misses or really hits.

Marz

Oct 30, 2017
you wanna go full degen? you gotta commit

-order a 15 month 0% interest credit card
-put all your expenses on that card
-use that money you would've used on food and gas to fund your account
-until you profit, keep paying the minimum on the card, use the money to buy the dip. remember 0 interest for a limited time
-once you profit sell the stocks, withdraw the money and payoff the card, you have 15 months to do this

is there a chance you might become homeless doing this? yes
but can you profit? also yes

Best financial advice I've ever seen on this site haha.

I mean who hasn't done this at some point?

Oct 25, 2017
I recently got some cash that is now sitting in my bank account doing nothing, I was thinking of going all in with the VOO ETF, but I thought about asking here before I did that. Is there something I'm missing or should I just go for it? I just want a safe investment that will sit there for a very long time. I've also heard about QQQM which I also wanted to know more about.

Oct 28, 2017
California
I recently got some cash that is now sitting in my bank account doing nothing, I was thinking of going all in with the VOO ETF, but I thought about asking here before I did that. Is there something I'm missing or should I just go for it? I just want a safe investment that will sit there for a very long time. I've also heard about QQQM which I also wanted to know more about.

You always want to be careful and do research before investing any amount of money, and past performance is not a guarantee of future success.

But, having said that, VOO (or any ETF/Index fund that tracks the S&P 500) is as safe as you can get (compared to other investments). When people say "the stock market, on average, returns 7%-10% per year", they're usually talking about the S&P 500.

Just make sure you won't be needing the cash you're investing anytime soon. When investing you always want to treat it as long term, not short-term. If you have any major expenses you anticipate within the next few years, I'd reconsider investing in the stock market.

Also, if you're unsure about investing, but still want your cash to do something, have you considered opening up a high yield savings account (assuming you don't already have one)?

Since interest rates are so high, a lot of HYS accounts are paying 4.5%-5% APY. Of course you have to have a lot of money in these accounts to see a significant amount of money, but it's way better than what traditional banks are paying.

Keep in mind this is pretty much "traditional" investment advice, and there are other folks in here who have made a nice chunk of change via other investment strategies (which is why you should continue to do research) but in the end do what you feel is best for you, but if you want to play it safe, then yeah VOO is a good way to go.

Last edited:

golguin

Oct 29, 2017
Word on MSNBC Morning Joe is that the beef with Iran is squashed based in all info coming out. Are stocks going to moon now that war is canceled?

Oct 25, 2017
You always want to be careful and do research before investing any amount of money, and past performance is not a guarantee of future success.

But, having said that, VOO (or any ETF/Index fund that tracks the S&P 500) is as safe as you can get (compared to other investments). When people say "the stock market, on average, returns 7%-10% per year", they're usually talking about the S&P 500.

Just make sure you won't be needing the cash you're investing anytime soon. When investing you always want to treat it as long term, not short-term. If you have any major expenses you anticipate within the next few years, I'd reconsider investing in the stock market.

Also, if you're unsure about investing, but still want your cash to do something, have you considered opening up a high yield savings account (assuming you don't already have one)?

Since interest rates are so high, a lot of HYS accounts are paying 4.5%-5% APY. Of course you have to have a lot of money in these accounts to see a significant amount of money, but it's way better than what traditional banks are paying.

Keep in mind this is pretty much "traditional" investment advice, and there are other folks in here who have made a nice chunk of change via other investment strategies (which is why you should continue to do research) but in the end do what you feel is best for you, but if you want to play it safe, then yeah VOO is a good way to go.

Thanks, I appreciate the advice.

I already have a HYS account with a decent percentage of my savings. I just wanted to see if VOO was a good investment for the rest of it, and yes I'm aware that this is all about playing the long game.

Bungie

Oct 31, 2017
What do stocks generally do with open war in Middle East?

Overly simplistic, but oil ⬆️, gold ⬆️ and I would expect defence stocks like Lockheed, BAE, etc would benefit.

In this specific instance, you need to consider how it would pan out if Iran responds. They would look control the arabian sea and probably also the red sea or at least disrupt trade through it. And I think something like a third of the world's oil travels through the strait of hormuz, so rising oil prices, rising prices in general because of disruption to global trade, rising inflation, etc.

Cascadero

Nov 8, 2017
Thanks, I appreciate the advice.

I already have a HYS account with a decent percentage of my savings. I just wanted to see if VOO was a good investment for the rest of it, and yes I'm aware that this is all about playing the long game.
VOO is a fine choice but with the market situation now try to layer it in. Like divide the amount by 6 and put something in every month. Downside risk is real so don't put it in in one go.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
So much for this Friday discount (hopefully there's still a chance for the stocks/ETFs I wanted to grab at discount)

You have to remember, everyone here is almost always wrong when it comes to predicting shit.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Netflix down 40pts at open after those sub #s is ridiculous. Yeah it's based on future projections/guidance but still.

Edit: 50pts now smdh

Shadout

Shinra Employee
Oct 27, 2017
Netflix had also gone up at lot recently. Once in a while it is time to get back to reality.
Unless you are Nvidia, hopefully.

Oct 27, 2017

VOO is good, especially if you are young and plan to hold it for a very long time. If you want to be slightly safer, do VTI as its a bit more diversified.