• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
lol, what? You think, after last year's loot box shit show, people shouldn't complain about capcom putting loot boxes into the game? We're just supposed to be like "yay, they fixed survival!" and completely ignore a new feature coming to the game. A feature adding fucking loot boxes? Huh? Also, this could easily be capcom testing out loot boxes for SF6. But nah, they finally listened to us, don't complain!
Survival still seems to shit tbh. And I don't really get why people shouldn't complain about a thing they don't like. Maybe if Capcom didn't add lootboxes people wouldn't complain about them.
Good. They shouldn't automatically get a "win" by sneaking in a predatory model with other updates. The improvements to survival can be praised while still critcizing adding loot boxes.

They are barely even lootboxes, directly effect only one already underused mode and cannot be purchased with real money. Unless this shop gets a big push I dont see this getting as bad as some of you think its going to get.

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
They are barely even lootboxes, directly effect only one already underused mode and cannot be purchased with real money. Unless this shop gets a big push I dont see this getting as bad as some of you think its going to get.

Because ignoring DLC/nickle and dime schemes always makes them go away. Capcom knows what they're doing. This Menat loot box shit is lightweight, absolutely, but capcom will keep track of this "it's not THAT bad, guys" mode and learn how to make actual money off of it for SF6. "Barely" loot boxes? Come on, man. It is a mode in which you "pay" to get random drops. And with all the FM draining for season 3, that's what capcom is banking on. They want you to pay for the season pass and use what little FM you have to play these dumb fucking loot boxes.

It's clear as day.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
That pachinko stuff just looks like regular specials with fancy camera angles.

Actually, I wouldn't mind if they put them in the game. Like you KO someone with an EX move and it plays the scene like an instant replay.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017

It's not just survival mode boosters, but also costumes only available in those loot boxes. Any FM I blow trying to get them is real money I will have to spend instead because I wasted the fake money, so the end result is costing me to gamble for what I want.

If you were talking about content that is not at all purchasable with real money like the randomized shop items in DBZ, then the "it's not real money" point would be more solid.

I'm not sure why people are acting like FM has no relation to real money. That's exactly why people like it. 500k FM saves you about $30 on characters. Wouldn't you say 500k FM is worth about $30 to you?

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
It's not just survival mode boosters, but also costumes only available in those loot boxes. Any FM I blow trying to get them is real money I will have to spend instead because I wasted the fake money, so the end result is costing me to gamble for what I want.

If you were talking about content that is not at all purchasable with real money like the randomized shop items in DBZ, then the "it's not real money" point would be more solid.

I'm not sure why people are acting like FM has no relation to real money. That's exactly why people like it. 500k FM saves you about $30 on characters. Wouldn't you say 500k FM is worth about $30 to you?

And then we don't even know the odds of what youre going to get nor do we know if those odds are fixed or Capcom adjusts them on the fly. How much FM are you gonna end up burning up to get anything you want out of that system?

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Aww man I want one! Not sure I could justify going to Evo though

Man, I really want that shirt. Zero chance I can go to EVO though. Guess I will have to hope someone puts one on Ebay afterwards. :-(

I'm going. It looks like I can select quantities but not varied sizes...I'm grabbing a L size. If that's good for you, I can grab one for you.

Edit: I know some people going from here too. I can ask them and maybe we can do some different sizes. Lemme talk to them.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017

So they just need to remove the ability to make FM allow you to purchase DLC to make it okay?

Var

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going. It looks like I can select quantities but not varied sizes...I'm grabbing a L size. If that's good for you, I can grab one for you.

Edit: I know some people going from here too. I can ask them and maybe we can do some different sizes. Lemme talk to them.

Thanks! That would be awesome. A large would work fine for me.

sephi22

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Tips to earn the Platinum trophy:
Have a free weekend - Go to Hell Survival - Pick Rashid - Put Nerwork fight request as ON to both Casual and Ranked, with setting to Ask instead of Automatic. Heavy Spike, jump back HK. Pick double downs in the first 10 stages, then atk/def up on tough matchups and health regen when needed. You won't ace this the first time around. It will take you a few tries. I think I failed about 6-8 times over a week before I got it.

Funny part is even after level 90 you will perfect most opponents with the Eagle spike strat. There are 6 characters who you need to be afraid of - Ryu, Ken, Rashid himself, Fang, Necalli, and Bison. The other 10 are free as fuck

Definitely maining her now
Huh. I definitely typed Mika instead of Laura there. Weird
Only noticed after your quoted post.
Go back to Falke

Last edited:

UncleMeat

Oct 25, 2017
Do you get credit for hard survival if you skip it and just beat hell/extreme?

Just curious because thankfully I don't care about getting platinum trophies.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
But a lot of your complaints towards FM seem to be around the eventuality of running out of FM to get DLC free with and resorting to paying for it, equating FM to real money instead of an optional bonus method not seen in other games. If not, what's the issue?

Let me try to explain better.

Running out of FM is going to happen if you use it on content. No issue there. If they put up content you can use FM to purchase directly, that's cool. That should be what it's for.
Boring grinding of un-fun modes is an annoyance, but ultimately comes with the territory.
My issue is the use of modes designed to artificially deplete your resources faster to get you to the point of spending real money. I don't appreciate those tactics, especially when I already buy the season passes (and I can't use that content I bought with other accounts on the same system in my house.)
The extra battles, I'm not fond of for that reason, but I still can deal.

What I really don't like are randomized loot box gambling-style hooks. They, by design, are there to manipulate you to overspend. My point above is that I don't think the fact that FM is not technically a real currently or directly purchased with money lets them off the hook for loot box exclusive content (costumes). FM is still a virtual currency used for purchasing in leiu of spending real money, even if you have to earn it not buy it. Capcom attributed some semblance of monetary value to FM when they make a piece of content purchasable for either $2 or 40k FM. You can't act like FM has no monetary significance yet proclaim that FM is great because it got you a bunch of characters for free that you otherwise would have had to pay for. The only real case where FM is completely throw-away without potentially impacting what you spend out of pocket would be if you have absolutely no desire to purchase any cosmetic content and have more than enough for the characters you want

tldr: Loot box exclusive costumes with no direct FM or $-purchasable option is shitty.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Let me try to explain better.

Running out of FM is going to happen if you use it on content. No issue there. If they put up content you can use FM to purchase directly, that's cool. That should be what it's for.
Boring grinding of un-fun modes is an annoyance, but ultimately comes with the territory.
My issue is the use of modes designed to artificially deplete your resources faster to get you to the point of spending real money. I don't appreciate those tactics, especially when I already buy the season passes (and I can't use that content I bought with other accounts on the same system in my house.)
The extra battles, I'm not fond of for that reason, but I still can deal.

What I really don't like are randomized loot box gambling-style hooks. They, by design, are there to manipulate you to overspend. My point above is that I don't think the fact that FM is not technically a real currently or directly purchased with money lets them off the hook for loot box exclusive content (costumes). FM is still a virtual currency used for purchasing in leiu of spending real money, even if you have to earn it not buy it. Capcom attributed some semblance of monetary value to FM when they make a piece of content purchasable for either $2 or 40k FM. You can't act like FM has no monetary significance yet proclaim that FM is great because it got you a bunch of characters for free that you otherwise would have had to pay for. The only real case where FM is completely throw-away without potentially impacting what you spend out of pocket would be if you have absolutely no desire to purchase any cosmetic content and have more than enough for the characters you want

tldr: Loot box exclusive costumes with no direct FM or $-purchasable option is shitty.
Lootboxes suck, no question, but that's a separate issue from FM. With no direct purchase towards them though you just knock out your weeklies and spend them on those if you want. It's still sounding that ultimately the nature of having FM unlock things you'd otherwise pay for is the main sticking point here, as without that, you'd just buy them as you would normally, and then you have this extra funny money to spend on colours and extras. It's an issue of perception with the melding of things that have a monetary attribution to them, and those without.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
The only thing that sucks is that this comes out after they took away Rashid's ability to get out of the corner with EX eagle spike. Makes it just a little bit harder.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Lootboxes suck, no question, but that's a separate issue from FM. With no direct purchase towards them though you just knock out your weeklies and spend them on those if you want. It's still sounding that ultimately the nature of having FM unlock things you'd otherwise pay for is the main sticking point here, as without that, you'd just buy them as you would normally, and then you have this extra funny money to spend on colours and extras. It's an issue of perception with the melding of things that have a monetary attribution to them, and those without.

FM acquisition methods are a separate issue, but loot boxes are inherently tied into FM depletion issues when they cost FM to open.

At the end of the day your FM balance is the pool of fake currency you have before you have to spend real money, regardless of how you got it. As I said, I got no issues spending all my FM, running out, and then spending real money. I've actually spent real money on stages and I left excess FM I could have used on those stages just in case I wanted colors. But it feels real shitty if you are driven to that point not by them putting out good content you buy normally but by a randomized (or not so randomized) mechanism like loot boxes designed to make you waste it.

If that doesn't make sense, we may just have a fundamentally different view on this.

Zombegoast

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Goddamit
sakura_as_chie_c3_by_sleepingmaster-dce6flx.jpg

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
FM acquisition methods are a separate issue, but loot boxes are inherently tied into FM depletion issues when they cost FM to open.

At the end of the day your FM balance is the pool of fake currency you have before you have to spend real money, regardless of how you got it. As I said, I got no issues spending all my FM, running out, and then spending real money. I've actually spent real money on stages and I left excess FM I could have used on those stages just in case I wanted colors. But it feels real shitty if you are driven to that point not by them putting out good content you buy normally but by a randomized (or not so randomized) mechanism like loot boxes designed to make you waste it.

If that doesn't make sense, we may just have a fundamentally different view on this.
No question, lootboxes are bad and this couldn't be a more poorly timed addition. If this is a lootbox thing, that's one thing, if it's FM as a whole, that's another. I was just curious as I've seen you criticize the system multiple times in the past prior to this.

A follow-up question, what is your opinion on DBFZ's capsule system?

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
No question, lootboxes are bad and this couldn't be a more poorly timed addition. If this is a lootbox thing, that's one thing, if it's FM as a whole, that's another. I was just curious as I've seen you criticize the system multiple times in the past prior to this.

A follow-up question, what is your opinion on DBFZ's capsule system?

I found it more tedious than fun and had to resort to a story-mode credit farming method to get the colors I wanted.
I prefer more straight forward ways to unlock content as basic as colors in fighting games if they're going to do it.

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm continuing with my capturing SF animations project. I guess it's a project now. :P Some people requested Juri.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I'm continuing with my capturing SF animations project. I guess it's a project now. :P Some people requested Juri.

Juri doesn't look too bad in SFIV (she is probably one of the better-animated characters in that game), but she is SO much better in SFV. Just look at that backdash... in SFIV it is fine, but it is awesome in SFV.

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
KI has been lag free so far, 3 days in NOT A SINGLE LAGGY MATCH, feels like i am offline...Capcom need to ask Iron Galaxy their secret to Netcode...

Oct 25, 2017
I've heard a few people in various places over the months talking about how easy Abigail is to play with, but not saying anything about Guile, Akuma, Cammy, etc. I couldn't imagine playing Abigail in a tourney setting against some top 5 character. I mean, people who are great with him still drop his combos more often than other characters. I'd he really that rest to play as? I find stuff with Guile and Akuma way easier to do and generally more safe, and I don't play with either outside of random select with friends.

myco666

Oct 26, 2017
Fake Europe

Barely? You pay a fee to get few randomized cosmetics that you can only get that way. It is straight up a lootbox. Maybe not as bad as something other companies do but it is still a lootbox.

This inclusion is stupid and totally unneccessary. There is no reason why all of these couldn't just be bought from a store instead of having to pay random value.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I've heard a few people in various places over the months talking about how easy Abigail is to play with, but not saying anything about Guile, Akuma, Cammy, etc. I couldn't imagine playing Abigail in a tourney setting against some top 5 character. I mean, people who are great with him still drop his combos more often than other characters. I'd he really that rest to play as? I find stuff with Guile and Akuma way easier to do and generally more safe, and I don't play with either outside of random select with friends.
Season 3.5 Abigail is not the threat he was in S2 and S3. His usage rate dropped dramatically ever since the nerfs, and he's not an easy character to perform well with (I would argue he never really was, but now the flaws really shine).

tokyostomp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This may be dumb question but if I was gifted a code from the arcade edition (buddy hated the game). I assume I won't get any sort of refund in the FM I spent on various characters, etc right?

Naarmight

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going. It looks like I can select quantities but not varied sizes...I'm grabbing a L size. If that's good for you, I can grab one for you. To mail it to you folks though...I do live in Hawaii.

That would be awesome, but you would have to ship to the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.