• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
I am not against special editions or directors going back to tinker with their old works. My preferred way to watch Blade Runner is the Director's Cut or Ultimate Cut, which both differ from the theatrical edition and feature new scenes and CGI enhancements. It's what I grew up with. Denis Villeneuve actually grew up with the theatrical version and it informed his choices for 2049.

What I am against is curtailing choice. I will probably never watch the 65 other versions of Blade Runner which come in the blu ray package, but the point is I could if I wanted to. It's asinine that there is no official way to purchase a HD+ version of the unaltered OT.

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like these are the 3D cuts that never got converted to 3D.

Lucas was involved. So this is one last poke by Lucas to the OT.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
Anakin's ghost enrages me more than any other thing in Star Wars history lol.

Went from "see? Deep down inside his soul was still intact after all" to "jedisareabletobecomeonewiththeforceandchoosehowtheirforceincarnationappearssoofcoursehewouldpickhisyoungself". I hate all this contrived bullshit where they over-explain the force to back into some change they wanted to make.

Plus it's insulting to the original actor.

I feel like Lucas doesn't have enough faith in viewers to put the pieces together. Like, he was afraid people would ask "who is that guy", so he put in hayden.

Likewise, I would never expect Palpatine to appear as his emperor-self in ROTS, but instead he would just age that way over the next 30 years. There's also the line in ROTS where Obiwan says about going after "the emperor". Like, Lucas really wanted you to know that's the emperor from ROTJ, as if you hadn't already figured it out since Ep 1.

Oct 27, 2017
I am not against special editions or directors going back to tinker with their old works. My preferred way to watch Blade Runner is the Director's Cut or Ultimate Cut, which both differ from the theatrical edition and feature new scenes and CGI enhancements. It's what I grew up with. Denis Villeneuve actually grew up with the theatrical version and it informed his choices for 2049.

What I am against is curtailing choice. I will probably never watch the 65 other versions of Blade Runner which come in the blu ray package, but the point is I could if I wanted to. It's asinine that there is no official way to purchase a HD+ version of the unaltered OT.

Exactly. If they made the theatrical versions available, I wouldn't care what crazy changes they make going forward. It just annoys me that there's no options. Even the prequels don't escape, as the original DVD release had already been changed from the theatrical and VHS version.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017

Went from "see? Deep down inside his soul was still intact after all" to "jedisareabletobecomeonewiththeforceandchoosehowtheirforceincarnationappearssoofcoursehewouldpickhisyoungself". I hate all this contrived bullshit where they over-explain the force to back into some change they wanted to make.

The actor is Darth Vader actor #3 who was on screen for 90 fucking seconds caked in make up. I don't really care who is Ghost Anakin at this point because in the end it should have been David Prowse.

Your whole argument here is kind of undone by the fact that OG Ghost Anakin is also magically healed of all of his wounds and has all of his limbs back so even then apparently Jedi are able to manipulate how they appear in the afterlife.

Dec 22, 2017
Your whole argument here is kind of undone by the fact that OG Ghost Anakin is also magically healed of all of his wounds and has all of his limbs back so even then apparently Jedi are able to manipulate how they appear in the afterlife.

I wouldn't imagine someone's ghost having their mortal injuries. In fact I like that it wouldn't. Think of Happy Gilmore where ghost Chubbs has his hand back lol.

I feel like Lucas doesn't have enough faith in viewers to put the pieces together. Like, he was afraid people would ask "who is that guy", so he put in Hayden

Also this^

Last edited:

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
Personally I'd have the original versions available along with a 'Saga' version where they can update the films with more modern effects and whatever else they need to do to make them tie together as one.

I'd still want rid of shit like the Vader 'Noooo' in Jedi though because it's absolutely awful and not needed at all.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Why would you choose the most difficult way to watch it, though? There are probably at least a dozen devices that could handle the digital file no problem, and I bet it's far likelier someone has one in their home than a blu ray player and especially a burner.

Also, 64 GB USB keys in 2019 are like $5-10 lol, if you don't already have a bunch lying around.
I like my discs.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
Disney found a way to unify the fractured fanbase: replace both Sebastian Shaw and Hayden Christensen with a guy called Robert Shaw.

Oct 27, 2017
At this point, I doubt we will ever get the theatrical cuts rereleased. Not even sure if it would be possible without contributions from outside Lucasfilm, since they claim that they actually physically altered the original negatives for the special editions.

I'll stick with the Despecialized Editions.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
And a blu ray writer.

You know, everyone got one of those.

I appreciate the animator who thought to animate Jabba after that line like he was insulted by that.

If someone doesn't like USB drives, they can always just play back over the local network.

It's incredible that we cannot see in any legitimate way the SFX who won the fucking Academy Awards for the category in 1978.

No, he's right.

The blu ray can get drunk with bitrate. Streaming must use less bitrate for 4 times the pixels.

Codec does matter. H.265 is going to best H.264 in most cases, even if 264 has more bitrate (unless we're talking extreme differences).

I may have to get or make a new version of the despecialized editions if the new 4k master gives more details :)

Why not just use 4K77? Why make another variant?

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly all of Lucas' constant fucking with the movies is worth it just for Maclunkey. I never knew how much was missing from that scene.

Bad Advice

Jan 8, 2019
At least I will always have the original theatrical release on DVD, albeit it's rather grainy. yup, I have the Limited Edition release.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Codec does matter. H.265 is going to best H.264 in most cases, even if 264 has more bitrate (unless we're talking extreme differences).
blu rays run on 25-40Mbps. I really don't know what is the bitrate of a streaming platform, but not many household have a connection worth of that.

At least I will always have the original theatrical release on DVD, albeit it's rather grainy. yup, I have the Limited Edition release.
Those 360p laserdisc transfers.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
it's what I hate the most. they want from Robert Shaw, legendary actor gently smiling at his son, to a Hayden fucking Christensen creepyly grinning.
ha, Robert Shaw as Darth Vader, now that's a change I'd like to see.

(I'm sure Sebastian Shaw was a fine actor when given more lines to play, but I think "legendary" is probably a stretch...)

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis

Yeah it's probably my least favorite change of anything in the OT. More than Jedi Rocks, more than Greedo shooting first, more than Jabba in ANH. I'm not a fan of the prequels, the last thing I want while watching the original trilogy is Lucas going HEY REMEMBER THE PREQUELS. It also doesn't jive with anything established by the movie (with Luke's entire emotional arc centering on his belief that his dad is still redeemable). It sucks!

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
4K77 ? Never heard of that~ Thanks for the pointer <3
My current version still has laserdisc content, i shall ... errr... find ways to make a compare with said 4k77 ;)

It is a 4K scan of an original theatrical print (technically prints, but one primary, with missing bits filled in).

If you are a theatrical purist, it's what you want.

blu rays run on 25-40Mbps. I really don't know what is the bitrate of a streaming platform, but not many household have a connection worth of that.

Those 360p laserdisc transfers.

You can't just rely on bitrate. Bluray is using MPEG-2 or H.264. Anything streaming is using H.265 which is going to be more efficient.

Now 4K UHD disc (which is also using H.265) will always beat a stream. But you can find UHD streams that look better than the respective 1080p Blu due to a better master and a newer codec. You can't say one is better than the other here as a general rule.

For 1080p streams, a standard Blu is always going to beat it.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I hate all of the additions, they make every movie objectively worse. Alters the pacing, poor CGI effects that look way worse than the practical effects / models, changes character's personalities, etc... Jabba looks horrible in ANH and there was a reason the scene was originally cut from the film and makes the reveal of the mysterious Jabba in RotJ much better. Han somehow dodging a point blank blaster with his amazing, dancing neck in the Cantina is just stupid and changes the character completely. Why not make a positive change in ANH and give Chewbacca the medal he deserves at the end instead? I don't remember much done to ESB aside from having a completely unnecessary shuttle transition with Darth Vader flying to a star destroyer and some of the effects replaced with crap CGI. RotJ is a complete travesty with the HORRIBLE cringe-inducing Jabba CGI singing scene, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, smirking Hayden Christensen, and crap celebration scene at the end (we don't need to see the other planets and how do they all immediately know, the Empire wouldn't broadcast their huge defeat especially on Coruscant and the rebels are limited in their scope).

Should have just done higher res remastering, cleaned up the matte background paintings, cleaned up some of the special effects with the layer film process they used, removed dirt from the film, give proper color correction, remastered the sound, and leave everything else alone.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How hard is it to give me any quality version of the original theatrical cuts? I don't even care if they are poorly color timed or scratched. I'd prefer that to (most of) the changes in the special editions.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly the thing I'm looking forward to most in TRoS is seeing Sheev with decent makeup. They don't even need to do much to McDiarmid, just some subtle prosthetics instead of full on latex.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017

You should be happy he didn't alter it further

(I made this eight years ago)

Oct 27, 2017
4K77 isn't bad, but it does have a green tint to everything, and has the image zoomed in slightly, causing the edges to be cropped.
I'd still recommend tracking it down, since it's probably the purest form of the movie that we'll get anytime soon.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
You should be happy he didn't alter it further

(I made this eight years ago)

bf8.gif

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

Excuse me ?

The ghost regrew limbs, hair, removed scars, picked new clothes, decided to look 70 instead of 50, but somehow the ghost deciding to look like he did the last time he saw himself in the mirror before his horrible mutilation is going too far for you ?

The actor still has his Vador scene intact. You can barely tell it's the same person in the original too. As a kid I was mad confused.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Excuse me ?

The ghost regrew limbs, hair, removed scars, picked new clothes, decided to look 70 instead of 50, but somehow the ghost deciding to look like he did the last time he saw himself in the mirror before his horrible mutilation is going too far for you ?

The actor still has his Vador scene intact. You can barely tell it's the same person in the original too. As a kid I was mad confused.
I never questioned who that was as a kid, I always thought it was insanely obvious. You just saw him! In the original, unmasked Vader isn't missing his eyebrows, which probably made the resemblance clearer. And someone who's watching the OT for the first time isn't going to know who Hayden Christiansen is supposed to be, unless they'd already seen the prequels.

Why does Anakin look 70 instead of 50? Because Anakin was probably meant to be that much older. It's yet another example of Lucas retrofitting the OT to match new canon established by the prequels, rather than the other way around. The PT should have respected the canon of the OT.

Oh well. I'm honestly surprised at how divisive the Force Ghost Anakin change is. I always assumed it'd be one of those easily latched onto things that literally everyone hates, but nope, that all goes to an extra shootout between Han and Greedo.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I never questioned who that was as a kid, I always thought it was insanely obvious. You just saw him! In the original, unmasked Vader isn't missing his eyebrows, which probably made the resemblance clearer. And someone who's watching the OT for the first time isn't going to know who Hayden Christiansen is supposed to be, unless they'd already seen the prequels.

Why does Anakin look 70 instead of 50? Because Anakin was probably meant to be that much older. It's yet another example of Lucas retrofitting the OT to match new canon established by the prequels, rather than the other way around. The PT should have respected the canon of the OT.

Oh well. I'm honestly surprised at how divisive the Force Ghost Anakin change is. I always assumed it'd be one of those easily latched onto things that literally everyone hates, but nope, that all goes to an extra shootout between Han and Greedo.

I did not imagine Luke's dad and Obi Wan's student to be a fat 70 old man no.

The Vader make up, eyebrows or not, changed him completely.

I genuinely was confused by the ending.

And since Obi Wan was his master I did imagine he was younger. It'd be weird for the master to be younger.