• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 4021

Oct 25, 2017
TotalBiscuit spent a good deal of the four years following his initial diagnosis caught up in some awful shit, of his own volition. That is part of his legacy, too.
People keep insisting that this has nothing to do with GG, and yet her reaction to the death of a prominent GG leader keeps getting brought up. Weird.

Fulluphigh

Oct 31, 2017
That's the baffling thing though they had no social media policies.

How is that even a thing. What the crap is this company doing... Seems like they truly dug themselves a hole here, and are happily wallowing deeper and deeper in it...

This is so ignorant and shortsighted. Like, everyone from gaming media to critics to industry veterans are telling you that this is a clear cut issue of supporting workers, especially harassed women at that, and their employment rights, yet people here and there are too concerned about how impolite and rude a harassed woman was on social media.

So, this is the part I'm still confused about. Where was she harassed? In the original tweet I mean? I'm listening, because I understand that maybe she perceived being harassed and surely has been a lot in the past, but it seemed like a neutral customer anecdote to me. And as a developer, one of the things I am adamant about is that I don't care how fucking god tier you are at your job, you can get better, you can benefit from outside perspectives, and you listen to customer anecdotes. Are 90% of them worthless garbage that come from ignorance or directly contradict massive amounts of data? Yes. Do you shut down the collection mechanisms? Not if you want to stay in business.

Oct 29, 2017
It's almost like it's the topic of the conversation?

There's definitely a certain meaning in being so desperately obsessed with GamerGate that you start seeing gators everywhere.

The topic of conversation is actually far, far more than that. There's far more nuance in the discussion than "Gator/Not Gator".

I would say the people obsessed with "woman was rude on Twitter" are missing the forest for the trees. Doesn't make them sexist or Gators (I mean, some might be hiding behind that pretext for sure but it's not easy to say when talking about just text on a screen), simply misinformed.

EDIT: Being cognizant of the social environment at this day and age is hardly "desperate", I'm genuinely curious why you chose that word.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
She publicly celebrated his death. That alone would have been a firable offense for many.

I get the impression a lot of people saying things like "most employers would be fine with an employee celebrating other industry members deaths and attacking its customers for no reason" don't have a lot of experience with being employed

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is so ignorant and shortsighted. Like, everyone from gaming media to critics to industry veterans are telling you that this is a clear cut issue of supporting workers, especially harassed women at that, and their employment rights, yet people here and there are too concerned about how impolite and rude a harassed woman was on social media. Meanwhile, there is now a chilling effect on Game developers while bigot gamers are emboldened and going after other women they don't like.

Seriously, *listen*
You're extrapolating this far outside the context of the discussion. I was making a simple joke, after he responded to my original post responding to someone else who was being a tad rediculous.

This is about an employee on social media, insulting a community member in a quite unprovoked way. Regardless of how I feel about worker conditions. It's not really acceptable behavior. I obviously think Peter was mistreated in all of this. But I can't really defend her behavior here, regardless of cultural climate.

What the poster I was responding to me too was saying in part was that she began treating someone who didn't appear to have, nor mention or relate to in any way. As an enemy, for reasons that really didn't have anything to do with the guy or his behavior. At least that was my take.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh right, that'll surely make his recently widowed wife feel a whole lot better, knowing it was just light stepping on his grave rather than kicking up the flowers on his tombstone. Oh wait, no it doesn't:

1C5Me35.png

was Genna turning to her late husband's critics for compassion? did Price quote tweet this or something?

Oct 25, 2017
So is disregarding death threats that ran people out of their homes as "not credible because they are still breathing"

This is peak whataboutism.

If a beloved figure in the industry you hated dies of cancer, you keep your mouth closed for a little while. This is proper etiquette for anyone that passes away that isn't some mass murderer.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
You get snarky with a customer or a business partner in public, you pay the price. It's just common sense.

Don't display the name of your employer on your twitter bio. Go private when things get hairy. Again, common sense.

People gotta stop thinking this is a retail store. This is Twitter and video game development.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
This idea that you aren't qualified to comment on something unless you have professional background in an industry is baffling to me. Have you ever left a product review, complained about a cup of coffee you received, or rated a service on a 1-5 scale? Do you only comment on these things if you work in the industry in question? If you said yes, you'd be in the extreme minority. While not as insightful from a nuts and bolts standpoint as the sort of feedback from a peer within the field, all of this feedback still has some meaning even if it's from the perspective of a layman.
Leaving a review is significantly different. You review your experience with the product, which requires zero expertise in the MAKING of that product. You might think the coffee is shit, but that doesn't mean you're qualified to tell them 'if you planted the beans when the temperature was 5 degrees warmer you'd get a less bitter taste'

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It'd be great if the administration here didn't allow the second one to be done, but for a forum founded around the concept of believing woman that have been harassed, it sure seems to have turned it's back on them already and now you have to carefully manage what you say along the lines of the ol "Republicans buy shoes too" shlock. Interesting how in women's issues threads, the women here have to fucking do everything themselves with a bunch of men telling them something isn't happening, with no help from the administration, and the result is Era is losing multiple long time women posters every week because they are fucking tired of having to "careful" with their honesty and viewpoints so that it doesn't hurt the feelings of Era's ad clickers.

And save me the ol' "the team here has ____ on it and we care". Words don't mean fuck all. Actions do. It's been tracked for a while now that this forum cares more about throwing out warnings for console wars posts, but does weird shit like only ban misogynistic for 3 days. You can be more transparent without also allowing people to metagame you like Kasparov playing a 5 year old in Tic Tac Toe.

dstfp.gif

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Oh right, that'll surely make his recently widowed wife feel a whole lot better, knowing it was just light stepping on his grave rather than kicking up the flowers on his tombstone. Oh wait, no it doesn't:

1C5Me35.png

It's fine to critical of someone, but publicly celebrating his death when he's no longer around to defend himself and his family is still grieving is so fucking crude.
He's no longer around to defend himself but spent years shitting on people who needed defending. Sympathies for his family, but his dickish behavior was part of his legacy too.

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

If a beloved figure in the industry you hated dies of cancer, you keep your mouth closed for a little while. This is proper etiquette for anyone that passes away that isn't Hitler.

Or, you talk shit if you think you can get away with it. Just don't be upset if there are repercussions.

As much as people on this forum love to mock "Free Speech" guys, they seem to fall in the same logical pit falls when it comes to issues they care about.

Oct 25, 2017
So you can't have opinions and get angry at people if you say where do you work when you use your personal account out off work? Do you realize how silly that is?

When you're representing your company and the conversation topic is relevant to your company? Absolutely not.

You can't just be "associated with X company" when it's convenient for you. That's absurd.

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, maybe if you find yourself arguing on the side of Gamergate, it's time to reassess your position.

This firing is going to do nothing but stifle communication between developers and players. And embolden the shitheads out there to go after industry women for hurting their feelings.

And Jessica Price will have no one to blame but herself for muddying the waters even further by turning a situation that had nothing to do with gender politics into one due to being willfully unable to accept responsibility for her actions, deflecting blame to literally anyone and anything but herself, getting her own co-worker fired, hiding her toxic behavior behind the banner of fighting mysoginy and sexism and unwittingly empowering a contingent of idiots on the internet.

The way she so deftly managed to play the sexism card while lacking any sort of self-critical thinking in order to gain internet sympathy points from people who trip over each other to demonstrate how much more woke one is from the last, to the point of character assassinating his supposed aggressor (who was even praising her a day prior to the incident) every which way till sunday is truly astounding.

Last edited:

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
So is disregarding death threats that ran people out of their homes as "not credible because they are still breathing"
It's also something he regretted saying and admitted being really stupid to say (I would also agree). He made a mistake and acknowledged that, doesn't fully excuse it of course. But as we've seen by Price too, people make mistakes. And also only people who seem to talk about the times he has stood up against bigotry are the butthurt bigots that were told off by TB. He did it multiple times, he had stated that hate, harassment and bullying isn't welcome in his fanbase.

Edit: I don't want to derail this discussion out of the topic at hand, but TB is bit involved in this case considering Price's Twitter history. And people keep bringin him up. And for the record, I don't condone his "support" for Gamergate. He absolutely didn't need them to do what he does (consumer advocate) and should have acknowledged GG as the rotten movement it is and not try to use "but for me it's about" since GG:s motivations weren't/aren't good.

Last edited:

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
So you wouldn't be offended if your barista called you an asshat to your face in front of other patrons after you asked why you were triple charged for $50 for a $5 latte?

Seems silly to apply that situation to this one given the vast discrepancy in job type, industry, etc. Particularly given that the situations are not really the same.

Oct 25, 2017
Or, you talk shit if you think you can get away with it. Just don't be upset if there are repercussions.

As much as people on this forum love to mock "Free Speech" guys, they seem to fall in the same logical pit falls when it comes to issues they care about.

Oh, absolutely. Whatever happened to people always "Free speech does not mean freedom from consequences" all the time? This is the exact scenario you're talking about.

Ultimately, say whatever you want. Whatever happens, your rights aren't being infringed on if the government isn't getting involved.

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017
If you are off-work hours, there is no reason to be civil and professional in a public forum.

Disagreed when you are wearing your nametag for your job and talking about work. You may be off the clock, but you're still representing your employer.

As everyone knows, your affiliation with your company ends the second you leave the office building, (even if you have a badge with the company name on it, the company name is plastered on the Twitter account and the discussion is about your job and work) and no punishments can be given to people who act unprofessionally outside of work hours.

This is not and hasn't been the case for quite a while.

People should be free to call their company's customers asshats in public as soon as their work day ends because it is clearly not representative of the company's stance against their customer.

Yet the company can be seen as choosing to associate with an individual who views their customer base with contempt and risks that base reacting negatively or removing themselves as paying customers. This provides plenty of impetus for the company to fire someone and doing so is entirely within their rights.

None of what you said here is true.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Why was Homer so rude to these fans? Boy, I sure hope he got fired for that blunder.

The cult really doesn't like it when you bring up Bain's atrocious behavior. Any criticism of him is forbidden.

Criticism if fine, but right after his death and bringing his death into the criticism isn't. It's distasteful. Especially as he was part of the Guild Wars 2 community

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
How is that even a thing. What the crap is this company doing... Seems like they truly dug themselves a hole here, and are happily wallowing deeper and deeper in it...

So, this is the part I'm still confused about. Where was she harassed? In the original tweet I mean? I'm listening, because I understand that maybe she perceived being harassed and surely has been a lot in the past, but it seemed like a neutral customer anecdote to me. And as a developer, one of the things I am adamant about is that I don't care how fucking god tier you are at your job, you can get better, you can benefit from outside perspectives, and you listen to customer anecdotes. Are 90% of them worthless garbage that come from ignorance or directly contradict massive amounts of data? Yes. Do you shut down the collection mechanisms? Not if you want to stay in business.

Harassed by gamers who didn't like Price being outspoken about social issues on social media. I'm not talking about the YouTuber guy, but the organized movement to get Price fired before and after the exchange that Arenanet fell for.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017

If a beloved figure in the industry you hated dies of cancer, you keep your mouth closed for a little while. This is proper etiquette for anyone that passes away that isn't some mass murderer.
Etiquette never mattered much to him in life when it came to his support for a hate group. Why should the people he helped victimize afford it to him?

Oct 29, 2017
Oh, absolutely. Whatever happened to people always parroting "Free speech does not mean freedom from consequences" all the time? This is the exact scenario you're talking about.

Ultimately, say whatever you want. Whatever happens, your rights aren't being infringed on if the government isn't getting involved.

You'd be hard pressed to find someone in this thread actively arguing that Price shouldn't have faced any consequence at all.

Oct 25, 2017
People gotta stop thinking this is a retail store. This is Twitter and video game development.
If you don't want to respond to a comment... don't respond to a comment?

You'd be hard pressed to find someone in this thread actively arguing that Price shouldn't have faced any consequence at all.

There have been several posters like BoukObelisk and Relaxed Muscle who have done just that.

Gasoline

Jun 14, 2018
When you're representing your company and the conversation topic is relevant to your company? Absolutely not.

You can't just be "associated with X company" when it's convenient for you. That's absurd.

A friend of mine works at a large car manufacturer, as an engineer. He wears a shirt with the company's logo to work. Sometimes, after work, a bunch of people from his office go to a bar together. Still wearing those shirts.
Now, a random guy who bought one of that company's cars is in that bar too, sees them and tells them "Have you tried putting square wheels on the car? That might improve things". He tells him to fuck off. Should he be fired?

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
And Jessica Price will have no one to blame but herself for muddying the waters even further by turning a situation that had nothing to do with gender politics into one due to being willfully unable to accept responsibility for her actions, deflecting blame to literally anyone and anything but herself, getting her own co-worker fired, hiding her toxic behavior behind the banner of fighting mysoginy and sexism and unwittingly empowering a contingent of idiots on the internet.
good lord some of you people will take any available opportunity to spew this kind of garbage, huh?

Oct 28, 2017

Best part is, Jessica herself realises this, yet conveniently forgot all about it when said financial consequences came back to bite her on the ass.

t2IBGQR.png[img]

Janna OP

Oct 25, 2017
A friend of mine works at a large car manufacturer, as an engineer. He wears a shirt with the company's logo to work. Sometimes, after work, a bunch of people from his office go to a bar together. Still wearing those shirts.
Now, a random guy who bought one of that company's cars is in that bar too, sees them and tells them "Have you tried putting square wheels on the car? That might improve things". He tells him to fuck off. Should he be fired?
wtf lol yes

he would definitely be fired for that

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
She publicly celebrated his death. That alone would have been a firable offense for many.

Stop lying and bullshitting.

This is bullshit civility politics and it needs to get buried deep

Remember

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Chicago, IL United States
Bark bark bark bark bark bark bark bark bark

When a dog hears a dogwhistle, it barks.

Why was Homer so rude to these fans? Boy, I sure hope he got fired for that blunder.

I haven't actively participated in your specific discussion in this thread, but I have a quick question for you, why are you trolling people who are wanting a civil discourse with you?

Stardestroyer

Oct 31, 2017

1C5Me35.png

It's fine to critical of someone, but publicly celebrating his death when he's no longer around to defend himself and his family is still grieving is so fucking crude.
You know an easy way to not get people to cheer when you die? It is not be a bad person during your life. I wouldn't have cheered for his death but I am not ignorant not to understand why someone would feel differently about it.

When you are dead, you don't need to defend yourself since what the living do is not relevant. The only thing you can do is come into the world do your best, leave a positive impression and move on, hopefully people will remember you fondly.

BeeKaine

Banned
Apr 21, 2018
The topic of conversation is actually far, far more than that. There's far more nuance in the discussion than "Gator/Not Gator".

I got you confused with the other guy, who blatantly claimed anyone who wasn't with them is a GamerGater.

I would say the people obsessed with "woman was rude on Twitter" are missing the forest for the trees.

No, I'd say I see the whole forest. Most are cut for lumber. One is cut down because it started a forest fire. In front of that tree are environmentalist nuts dancing in the flames, while some people on the cliff go "it was obviously them who did it".

EDIT: Being cognizant of the social environment at this day and age is hardly "desperate", I'm genuinely curious why you chose that word.

Because it was a nebulously defined "organization" in the first place and just as much as a significant event in the gaming industry as it is an easy crutch for people who don't have an argument to start labeling people with. See: this thread

Mandikiri

Banned
Apr 21, 2018
Boston, MA.
Regardless of whether you're a person of color, male or female, a different race, etc. You do not under no circumstances be rude to a customer. Especially when you're representing your company under your social media. Because at the end, that will come and reflect on the company you're working. Which is why she got fired. Was the firing a bit extreme? Yes. But at the point that is up to her boss to decide.

What anyone says on social media always carry consequences. Personal or professional.