• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Master_and_Commander_The_Far_Side_of_the_World-815088478-large.jpg

I'd argue that Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World is an adventure/swashbuckling film and is far beyond any of the Pirates films. A genuine masterpiece.
Wouldn't really classify M&C as an adventure/swashbuckling film. That subgenre is in the mold of classic Fairbanks and co films. They have roots in adventure serials and silent film classics

M&C is a historical drama/thriller.

NewDayMarch

Nov 25, 2017
Agreed that these type of movies are absolute delights, but they come across pretty seldomly and are actually quite hard to do well.

I've been going on a quick of more recent ones lately, but sadly can't give any a full throated recommendation. John Carter Of Mars is a mess, and the finale is kind of boring.

The second Banderas Zorro movie (Legend) is WAY too long (it could easily lose a half-hour), and has a Dennis The Menace character that doesn't work, but I openly love/fuck with the first 10 minute set piece. It's dope.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed that these type of movies are absolute delights, but they come across pretty seldomly and are actually quite hard to do well.

I've been going on a quick of more recent ones lately, but sadly can't give any a full throated recommendation. John Carter Of Mars is a mess, and the finale is kind of boring.

The second Banderas Zorro movie (Legend) is WAY too long (it could easily lose a half-hour), and has a Dennis The Menace character that doesn't work, but I openly love/fuck with the first 10 minute set piece. It's dope.

Lone Ranger is absolutely fantastic and I'd put it a step below POTC. But that finale is possibly one of the best of the decade if you're looking for something similar.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the first movie had a style of rhythm that simply made it fun to get engrossed with that i feel non of the sequels really had.
(The fact that the first movie was also the closest we've ever gotten to a monkey island movie, especially since its cancelled movie script was reused by the writer as a base for the first pirates script, gives me more biased joy.)

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Lone Ranger is absolutely fantastic and I'd put it a step below POTC. But that finale is possibly one of the best of the decade if you're looking for something similar.
I will admit that Lone Ranger's finale is easily the best adventure film set-piece in years. I only wish the rest of the film was as good

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
You (like everybody else) are sleeping on The Lone Ranger, OP.

If you loved Pirates, Verbinski (and Zimmer) brings the same energy and more in The Lone Ranger. The last 15 minutes is perhaps the most enjoyable action set piece of the past decade.

The film is also surprisingly violent for a Disney film.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Highly recommend The Good, The Bad, The Weird (Korean) for adventure movie lovers.

So damn good.

Crissaegrim

May 23, 2018
Me and the wife re-watched The Revenant last night and for some reason it made me realize that there are hardly any pirate films. We need a good, serious tone one. I liked the PotC movies, but it's time for a darker, more serious approach.

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
Yeah, the first Pirates really was something special.
And the sequels weren't too bad either, altough the 3rd had way too many subplots, it still managed to stick the landing.
The 4th one, yeah, average, kinda boring.
But Pirates 5... jesus.
Not only was an insult to the characters and the franchise, it was an insult to movie making in general.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
Does Stardust count? It's a pretty good fantasy adventure film, at least.

And yeah, PotC is an amazing movie.

Apr 19, 2018
I'm a shameless At World's End apologist, but whatever you can say about the film, you can't deny that the final Maelstrom battle is the pinnacle of swashbuckling action cinema.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think the first PotC might be my all-around, all-time favorite movie I've ever seen.

I've seen movies that are better at acting, better music, better CGI, better emotions, etc.. but I do not think I've seen one that nails them all together as a full package as well as The Curse of the Black Pearl does.

I can literally put it on at any time, when I am in any mood, and I'll sit and watch it from beginning to end and just grin like an idiot.

I enjoyed 3 better than 2 actually, thought 4 was pretty dreadful and lacked 'fun', but 5 did enough things that I enjoyed it just fine. The ending was great too (as someone who really liked 3).

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I just rewatched Treasure Island last night. Gotta say, good mix of action and story - I think it still holds up, even with the limitations of film making.

A+ for pirate work...

Oct 25, 2017
Personally POTC is peak Hollywood Blockbuster,
it hit a unique niche while stuff like Star Wars, LoTR, are obviously a bit saturated in pop-culture
it was also at a point when CG was innovative and felt expensive but went out of their way with physical stuff as well

I'm a shameless At World's End apologist, but whatever you can say about the film, you can't deny that the final Maelstrom battle is the pinnacle of swashbuckling action cinema.
AWE definitely had its moments

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Disney+ was a good excuse to watch this movie again and it is just so bloody good. They really caught lightning in a bottle with that one.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
I pretty much only care for the Jack's stupid luck and one-liners >>> everything else, so the most recent one delivers in spades. That whole opening act of him robbing the bank and ending up with nothing was just so amazing to watch for me. The first one is really really good as a movie in general, but when they play that theme song you just know you're in for a fun ride if Jack's on the screen.

Flaurehn

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico City

No mass ships battle at the climax really left me sour on that movie, they built the anticipation really well, but in the end only 3 ships actually fought (the ones that matter tho)

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
It was originally a Monkey Island film...

Eh, they're both heavily derived from On Stranger Tides. If there are real traces of Monkey Island in what we got it's hard to see it because the film's tone isn't nearly farcical enough, Sparrow's oddball personality notwithstanding.

Honestly that new Jungle Cruise sounds more like a Monkey Island movie than Curse of the Black Pearl was.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I agree. It was one of my favorite memories from a theater. Watching Jack Sparrow arrive was gold. Had me and everyone I was with cracking up. Then the movie keeps ratcheting it up.

I liked the second one, not as much as the first, but after that I think it ran out of steam.

That movie was hot garbage and I thought Valerian himself was an unlikable prick, but it was fun.

I'm going to throw the Jumanji films out there. I'm not sure they qualify technically as swashbucker films, but in my mind they're damn close enough.

Oh I forgot about those. Yea the new Jumanji films are pretty good adventures.

Oct 25, 2017
Call me crazy but I really prefer PotC 5 to 4.
only thing 4 had that I liked were the mermaids, 5 at least brought back big over the top action.
also set up Davy Jones return.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
The first movie is brilliant. It's a damn shame the sequels, were overly long and complicated. I would have preferred stand alone films like Indiana Jones. I'm not sure why they tried to turn it into LOTR.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Call me crazy but I really prefer PotC 5 to 4.
only thing 4 had that I liked were the mermaids, 5 at least brought back big over the top action.
also set up Davy Jones return.
The story isn't the problem with 5. It's that Jack is completely out of character. A really shitty YouTuber did a video explaining it, but the run down is that, whereas in the first four films, Jack is playing the fool to get the better of his enemies, in the fifth film, he actually just outright is a bumbling idiot.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
It really is a fantastic adventure, I will always champion the sequel though because Bill Nighy's Davy Jones alone is worth the price of admission even if The rest of the film was a step down from the original. Also, these movies just got to be way, waaaay too long