• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What did you think of Chapter 8: Redemption?

• Great

Votes: 708 73.8%
  • Good

Votes: 179 18.7%
  • Average

Votes: 60 6.3%
  • Poor

Votes: 12 1.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Did Mom Eisley have some kind of economic downturn after the New Republic was established? I understand the show doesn't have a movie-level budget, but Mos Eisley felt dead compared to what we have seen in the movies just 8 years prior in-cannon. They took us to what is possibly the most iconic town in all of science fiction and it looked like only a few of the extras showed up, but they still decided to film anyways. It was just disappointing to see.

Though I did like the irony that droids now worked the cantina and that we got another glimpse into how Tusken Raiders survive.

There were Imperial heads on pikes, and the local bounty hunter guild even left Tatooine... Seems like the New Republic burned out all "scum and villainy" that it was famous for.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
So far, my only complaint about the series is that everything tends to feel kind of rushed. I wish the'd add 10 minutes to the episode and let things play out a little more naturally.

My biggest issue with the show tbh. Also, I cant find the post but it was never going to reach something like The Searchers level depth in its first season. This is the first show of it's kind and as such I'm willing to give them a lot of patience to fix issues before I stop watching because there is sooo much good here

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Did Mom Eisley have some kind of economic downturn after the New Republic was established? I understand the show doesn't have a movie-level budget, but Mos Eisley felt dead compared to what we have seen in the movies just 8 years prior in-cannon. They took us to what is possibly the most iconic town in all of science fiction and it looked like only a few of the extras showed up, but they still decided to film anyways. It was just disappointing to see.

Though I did like the irony that droids now worked the cantina and that we got another glimpse into how Tusken Raiders survive.

Empire = wretched hive of scum and villany

New Republic = everyone bails

I kinda like that actually. Lol

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Empire = wretched hive of scum and villany

New Republic = everyone bails

I kinda like that actually. Lol

Jabba being gone probably had a bigger effect. He was a crime lord but he was probably the lynchpin of the planet's economy. He bankrolled podraces, bankrolled top galaxy dance number entertainment, supported local economies with all sorts of everyone coming far and wide to earn his favor - now Jabba's displaced droid is slinging drinks in a bar that didn't even serve droids just a few years prior. Times be rough on Tatooine.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Jabba being gone probably had a bigger effect. He was a crime lord but he was probably the lynchpin of the planet's economy. He bankrolled podraces, bankrolled top galaxy dance number entertainment, supported local economies with all sorts of everyone coming far and wide to earn his favor - now Jabba's displaced droid is slinging drinks in a bar that didn't even serve droids just a few years prior. Times be rough on Tatooine.
I love the idea that Tatooine's economy collapsed after Luke killed Jabba the Hutt. It's kind of unusual to see a single location in Star Wars undergo meaningful change.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017

For real. That's exactly how I imagine it. Makes a lot of sense.

Kinketsu

Nov 17, 2017
Yikes, that was the worst one by far in my opinion and the first one, I think, that wasnt written by Fav. Cant really think of anything nice to say about it, seemed to have a totally different style and just plodded along into an end This episode is more like what I feared it would be like, luke warm adventures and name dropping.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
I still like The Mandalorian, but watching Watchmen and His Dark Materials alongside it isn't doing this show any favors lol.

I hope season 2 is a lot more plot and character focused.

Matticers

Oct 28, 2017
So Boba Fett would be in his early 40's during this show if he survived? Hm. I bet Temuera Morrison could play him and it wouldn't feel out of place.

I mean, I doubt they'll really bring back Boba for this but I think it would be awesome if he took off the helmet eventually and we got to see that face.

Dec 12, 2017
Holy fuck. This is now canon for me until told otherwise. ❤

I still like The Mandalorian, but watching Watchmen and His Dark Materials alongside it isn't doing this show any favors lol.
❤ Watchmen but how is HDM? I love Ruth Wilson but haven't made time for this show yet.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
This episode would be fine for a 20 episode season.

But a filler episode in an 8 episode season is just disappointing.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Am I the only one who thought the young bounty hunter's acting was fine? Probably

I didn't see anything wrong with it. He played to the role.

What the heck happened to his son anyway

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
To all of you that are calling it a filler episode: what makes it a filler episode? If it's because it doesn't move the plot forward....what is the central plot? I thought it was to get away from the imperials that want baby Yoda, and the bounty guild. How is this episode not moving that plot forward? Would the show be better if he escaped them in episode 4? What would the show be about after that?

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
i liked this week's episode better than last
and i am enjoying the story of the week format

but man, is anyone else just kinda getting tired of the CONSTANT "remember this?" references?
whether its locations or species or just references to shit like calling someone a womprat as an insult
the star wars universe shrinks every 5 minutes while watching this show
its all well made so i can kind of tune it out to an extent, but would it kill them to just not reference something from the old movies for an episode?

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe some actually believe that it wasn't the showrunner's intention to make you believe it was Boba Fett at the end. Come on, y'all.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
I mean that's two throw away episodes. The acting and dialogue has definitely been more hit than miss in all but the last two are losing me for sure. This Space battle is not as cool as jangos as well

What constitutes throwaway? Do you mean because they could double as standalone episodes? Ep4 ended with them fleeing because of Baby Yoda being tracked. Ep5 Mando's recent reputation got them in trouble. Not arc heavy but not completely detached either.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
why was the opening dogfight so bad? was it the editing? the music? the sound effects? the acting? Everything? I cant quite put my finger on it

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
i liked this week's episode better than last
and i am enjoying the story of the week format

but man, is anyone else just kinda getting tired of the CONSTANT "remember this?" references?
whether its locations or species or just references to shit like calling someone a womprat as an insult
the star wars universe shrinks every 5 minutes while watching this show
its all well made so i can kind of tune it out to an extent, but would it kill them to just not reference something from the old movies for an episode?

Post-Disney Star Wars has been stuck in that mode. I'm hoping Rian's trilogy goes in an entirely different direction.

I'm ok with fanservicey shit. It makes me laugh. But I think the first Star Wars movie that truly puts the OG stuff behind and moves in an entirely different direction is going to be very special.

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Post-Disney Star Wars has been stuck in that mode. I'm hoping Rian's trilogy goes in an entirely different direction.

I'm ok with fanservicey shit. It makes me laugh. But I think the first Star Wars movie that truly puts the OG stuff behind and moves in an entirely different direction is going to be very special.
it was so bad in this episode
he just HAPPENS to need to emergency land on tattooine out of all planets in the universe
and just happens to land at mos eisley
and then talk to a shady guy in the exact booth that han and greedo sit at
and of course there's a bantha, a dewback, and sand people, and the exact model speeder bikes from endor
i think someone mentions beggar's canyon too
i'm probably missing stuff
it was just nonstop lol

anyway, i'm really enjoying the show still, despite this stuff. but it really would be so much better if they'd cut it out a little bit

/grumpyoldman

Last edited:

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
The dogfight was one of the things I liked in the episode 🤷‍♂️
Yeah, I thought it was shot and directed well.

However, it was kinda goofy how many buttons Mando was clicking. It was like someone button smashing while playing Street Fighter.

Other guy:

kggUjYa.gif

Mando:

mdQUryK.gif

i_am_ben

Oct 27, 2017
acting was weak this episode.

The mechanic was over acting, and the less said about the other bounty hunter the better.

Aug 1, 2018
I liked this week's episode a lot. Probably my favorite one so far.

This episode in particular really makes me want to go back and play Shadows of the Empire, haha

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yup that was another dud episode.

On another note, this is the first episode I've watched on my new (and first) 4K TV.....man, you really see how wonky a lot of the CG in this is.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The mechanic was a nod to Art Carney from the Holiday Special. Too bad we didn't get CGI Bea Arthur in the cantina.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
he just HAPPENS to need to emergency land on tattooine out of all planets in the universe
and of course there's a bantha, a dewback, and sand people, and the exact model speeder bikes from endor
it was just nonstop lol

anyway, i'm really enjoying the show still, despite this stuff. but it really would be so much better if they'd cut it out a little bit

/grumpyoldman
This

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
it was just nonstop lol

/grumpyoldman

Yeah shady dude being shot EXACTLY like han when he had his showdown with greedo was hilarious

But it's Star Wars. I just expect the non-stop references at this point. The people making this stuff grew up with the OT and are probably dying to make these references.

Crimsonskies

Alt account
Banned
Nov 1, 2019
it was just nonstop lol

/grumpyoldman

Here is my question why not have the bounty hunter guild be on Tatooine to begin with instead of "insert planet name here" but instead we get the line oh the guild does not operate here.

What does she mean they don't operate here there is one asshole clearly looking to capture a bounty and as far as I know and has been established in the show bounty hunters go wherever the target is.

I mean having the first episode set on Tatooine would have been a great starting point imagine that Mandalorian fight in Mos Eisley.

It would have invoked the nostalgia being in a familiar location but instead we get Tatooine the nostalgia tour.

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
This was my least favorite episode

As the show goes on, its pacey structure and lack of characters and development is starting to get to me

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This was my least favorite episode

As the show goes on, its pacey structure and lack of characters and development is starting to get to me
It kind of fell apart after episode 3. I'd much rather they have told a concise narrative arc. There's a million stories in the star wars universe to tell. We don't need a procedural.

I'm not hating anything yet. But the last two I didn't like as much.

Status
Not open for further replies.