• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Could 2017 be the peak? It would be absolutely nuts if 2018 was the peak. 3 years of sales around the 20 million mark per year is unheard of for consoles.

Days Gone
Spiderman
Red Dead Redemption 2
Detroit
God of War
Last of Us 2

I dunno bruh, shit's looking pretty stacked.

Not to mention titles that are going to push Xbone/PS4 sales anyway, like Kingdom Hearts 3 or Dragon Ball FighterZ

kickz

Nov 3, 2017
So 90% of 10 in 2 people own crash bandicoot insane trilogy?

4ec.gif

but ofcourse

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We're also getting to that time in a console's life-cycle where the older/budget/casual return gamers tend to arrive, as the console price-point, cheap/wishlisted library is abundant. Happened around four years into xbox/ps2 360/ps3 life-cycle, too. Anecdotally, I had a bunch of facebook friend non-gamers show up on PSN asking to be friends right after Thanksgiving.
Yep, one of my buddies at work who's still been gaming on his PS3 all this time, just went and picked up a PS4 black Friday week. He mainly plays GTA and RDR, so RDR 2 was a big motivator for him.

Bran Van

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's not as if they couldn't do both. They just either don't see the value in it, previous endeavors didn't work out, or they might feel it's too much of a risk. It's something they have to work on if they wanna be competitive next gen for sure though
They are not in a good place to do it. It's no longer 2000 where they could buy up and money hat a bunch of studios for cultivation. Which they did do. But instead of cultivating those studios they have nearly all fallen apart

In 2017 there aren't many smaller devs you can bring into the stable. Nearly all studios are big AAA developers on their own right already. Even this gen when they worked with Insomniac, saw Insomniac go back to Sony immediately after

Sony have done a heck of a job of cultivating their studios across 3-4 gens now. From the guys like Naughty Dog to Guerrilla finally cracking the big time when given the time and ability to make what they truly wanted. I wouldn't be surprised if Ghosts of Tsushima is next to really make the big stage in the way Horizon did

MS should really have developers like Rare, Lionhead, Bizarre Creations, Bungie, Bioware, Itagaki in their stable and on point right now. Imagine all these devs still making games for MS like they were at their peak

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
NPD 2004 Top 10

1. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (PS2) - 5.1 million
2. Halo 2 (Xbox) - 4.2 million
3. Madden NFL 2005 (PS2) - 3.2 million
4. ESPN NFL 2K5 (PS2) - 1.5 million
5. Need for Speed Underground 2 (PS2) - 1.4 million
6. Pokémon FireRed (with adapter) (GBA) - 1.2 million
7. NBA Live 2005 (PS2) - 1.2 million
8. Spider-Man 2 (PS2) - 1.1 million
9. Halo: Combat Evolved (Xbox) - 1.1 million
10. ESPN NFL 2K5 (Xbox)- 1.0 million

Nothing could touch GTA back then.

Or now.
In one month. How the brand has fallen.

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I really want to see what Ghost of Tsushima is, because the concept of Infamous was extremely fun to play around with.

In one month. How the brand has fallen.

Yeah....dude, Halo used to be legendary.

The commercials and hype behind that game were crazy.

They're never getting that again. I feel like Destiny has just shat all over that built-up reputation.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
They have to because of the timing of past consoles. The executives at Sony don't want to release PS5 yet, but the release timing of PS2 dictates that they must release PS5 with the same timing. They have no other choice. /s

Sony already knows when they're launching PS5. Wether it's 2019, 2020 or 2021, they are not changing that date based on 2017 sales.

It's part of a bigger plan, with dozens of games and studios involved, They know what games they want for the PS5 launch, what games they want for the last PS4 year, for the first PS5 year...you just can't move the launch date around without affecting everyone.

Not only that, they know already the price point and the tech they want, they've talked and made plans with the tech manufacturers, secured commodities, made shipment and distribution plans etc, to make sure they can have a successful launch.

So all this people saying "They should extend the life of the PS4 one or two years!"

Sorry but it doesn't work like that

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sony already knows when they're launching PS5. Wether it's 2019, 2020 or 2021, they are not changing that date based on 2017 sales.

It's part of a bigger plan, with dozens of games and studios involved, They know what games they want for the PS5 launch, what games they want for the last PS4 year, for the first PS5 year...you just can't move the launch date around without affecting everyone.

Not only that, they know already the price point and the tech they want, they've talked and made plans with the tech manufacturers, secured commodities, made shipment and distribution plans etc, to make sure they can have a successful launch.

So all this people saying "They should extend the life of the PS4 one or two years!"

Sorry but it doesn't work like that
I have a hard time believing that. Market fluctuation, development cycles, component manufacturing etc are all subject to change, and Sony has to be able to react to all of them. Would seem very strange (and stupid) if the PS5 release date was written in ink with Sony having no ability to exercise flexibility.

ronpontelle

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be surprised if Spiderman outsells Arkham Knight, considering it was multiplat.

However with Sony this gen nothing will surprise me!

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
PS4 pro doing what it was intended to do imo which is stop the decline in sales that usually starts to happen around this time in a generation.

PS4 Pro was 10% of units sold after it came out which from these numbers puts it at 2 million. Nothing wrong with that but it's hard to say it's made a huge difference to the sales overall in this period

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If The Last of Us 2 actually hits next year, that's easily going to be Sony's biggest exclusive game for 2018. Last one hit nearly 10 million on PS3. A very good chance the sequel will hit bigger numbers if it's received in a similar fashion. Spider-Man and God of War will be a distant second place to that.

Oct 27, 2017
Monster Hunter World too, which is full on exclusive in Japan. No way Sony kicks off the next gen (not saying they will be late either). I can see a lot of devs sticking with PS4 for a while too. Will it be the best selling console ever?

Didn't the PS2 peak at like 150 million? I don't think it's possible for another console to sell that much. Handheld or otherwise.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
I have a hard time believing that. Market fluctuation, development cycles, component manufacturing etc are all subject to change, and Sony has to be able to react to all of them. Would seem very strange (and stupid) if the PS5 release date was written in ink with Sony having no ability to exercise flexibility.

It's how real life works, man. This huge projects take a lot of planning

Oct 27, 2017
Indeed. Last of Us 2 and Death Stranding are 2019 imo

I could also go as far as seeing Death Stranding slipping into early/Spring 2020, and being a cross-gen title for PS4 and PS5 launch with notable improvements. But that is a wild card prediction, lol.

PS4 Pro was 10% of units sold after it came out which from these numbers puts it at 2 million. Nothing wrong with that but it's hard to say it's made a huge difference to the sales overall in this period

It was 20% wasn't it? They said 1 in 5 PS4's sold are a Pro. So that would be 4 million, and the sale coming up may boost a some more too.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017

Was selling at 20% throughout this 2017 iirc. Don't ask me for a sorce though

Dracon

Oct 27, 2017
Why we didnt get a glimpse of this with the weekly charts? I mean, this year we got the switch outselling the PS4 most of the time, and then now we have this info that the PS4 sold a lot more than the expected.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why we didnt get a glimpse of this with the weekly charts? I mean, this year we got the switch outselling the PS4 most of the time, and then now we have this info that the PS4 sold a lot more than the expected.

US =/= World. The only ones that did not expect this are the ones too busy following Media Create and NPD to realize that there's a huge world out there.

Beef Stallmer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would love to see how many pro's they have sold.
Would guess around 5, as Sony stated before it made up about 20% of all their consoles sold from the release of Pro.

where's the PS2/PS1 emulator
It is on the most expensive console ever released; The PS3. Jep, the same PS3 that gained a lot of sales after the PS2 hardware was removed to allow for a cheaper version; which is what consumers actually wanted: a cheap, powerful machine with excellent titles and great 3rd party ports.

Oct 28, 2017
An observation on the video game awards:

Most Anticipated Game
  • The Last of Us: Part II
  • Red Dead Redemption II
  • God of War
  • Monster Hunter World
  • Marvel's Spider-Man
Every game on this list is either PS4 exclusive or PS4 marketing deal.

These are worldwide numbers. Sure the switch may be outselling the PS4 in Japan, and sure for maybe half the months the switch outsold the PS4 in the US, but worldwide the PS4 is probably significantly outselling the switch, and those markets are way larger than they used to be (and Japan way smaller than it used to be).

Wiggles

Oct 28, 2017
The more I read about the insane sales, the more likely I think PS5 is going to be pushed back a bit. Or at least there will be some heavy cross-generational gaming for the first couple of years.

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like it will sell well for even longer if they can get an even cheaper, sub $200 msrp model out soon. Would have to be the super slim, 7/10nm, etc. I can't see it dropping much until late 2019 or 2020 imho.

They'll probably be at 85-90M by the end of 2018 and 105-110M by end of 2019. Announce Ps5 in 2020, cut sales by 50% and they'll still likely push 8-10M in 2020 I imagine.

When all is said and done I am willing to bet the PS4 ends up in the 125-130M range

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Yet for some reason people think Sony will be rushing PS5 to market within a couple years.

Keep going strong PS4!
What's interesting is that the release of the X has essentially allowed Sony to not worry about next gen consoles for a while. It's highly unlikely that Microsoft releases a new gen console in less than 2-3 years. So they don't even have to really concern themselves with another X360 early launch.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
And to think that the PS4 is going to peak next year, judging by the line-up of games coming out at least. A Spider-Man bundle is going to do mad business alone, but then you throw everything else into the mix and momentum just isn't going to let up all throughout 2018.

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because you're talking about US charts. Playstation is a world wide brand that sells well throughout the world. Not to mention, it's continued to sell well in the US. The Switch outselling is some months in the US by very small margins doesn't mean much.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Honestly believe at a majority of the year priced at $199 + exclusive count (specifically Spider-Man, God of War, & RDR2 relationship) they can do 30M from now to Jan 1st, 2019

oRuin

Oct 25, 2017
This is what an amazing collection of exclusives does. I'm personally having problems getting through my backlog. Still haven't started Persona 5!
It's a beast that cannot be stopped.
Looking forward to hearing about the PS5 in the coming years.

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
Same time period :

Hardware

Ps2 - 71M Shipped.
Ps4 - 70.6M Sold-Through (73.5M shipped?)

Software

Ps2 - 570M Games shipped
Ps4 - 618M Sold-Through

PS4 is destroying the King but why be a King when you can be a God?
What the hell! It is doing better even in software department? This thing is Insane.

It still won't sell 150 million.