• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
Interesting that they were focusing acquisitions for PC and mobile but not console
This would have been post-announcement of the Zenimax acquisition, right?

I imagine that deal was heavily centered around the benefits it would have on console/PC in NA and Europe.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
big companies are complex beasts so it's not surprising they'd look through a lot of targets

Sega, as one example, at one point wanted MS to acquire them and they declined. Lots of stuff happening behind the scenes, lots of drama.

AnimeAvatar

Apr 28, 2021
Thankfully that didn't happen and I will continue to pray Microsoft stays the fuck away from Sega.

How anyone can continue cheerleading this corporate consolidation bullshit is beyond me.

Sega franchises would totally wither into irrelevance.
But what about Phil Spencer's Fighting Vipers t-shirt???

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
We forum posters are maybe more on the money than we realize? I remember all those "MS should acquire SEGA" posts.

ragolliangatan

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 31, 2019
Consolidation regardless of who is doing it- isn't great for the industry at all.

I expect MS looked at other Japanese publishers but nothing was put into motion.

Mrflood

Oct 25, 2017
100% expect Sega to be acquired before the year is done. Not sure if will be Xbox, but the recent split of divisions makes it clear they are trying to divest assets.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Sega has made sense for them for a long time. I feel like Bungie wouldn't have been down for the reacquisition though unless they got the same autonomy deal that Sony gave them.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Totally agree with that. ABK goes a long way with about half of the list tbh.

They might be gun shy after ABK closes but who knows. They do need some presence in JP. Tango is awesome, but it ain't enough.

If ABK goes through without resorting to a scorch earth option in the UK, they might not mind. SEGA just isn't that big from a marketshare perspective. I guess ultimately it depends on what they envision GP becoming.

Last edited:

Det

Jul 30, 2020
Totally agree with that. ABK goes a long way with about half of the list tbh.

I'd say most of the list tbh.

- PC presence in AMR & the EU - Yes, with Wow, Diablo, Overwatch etc.
- Mobile presence in AMR & the EU - Yes, with Candy Crush and other King properties
- PC & console presence in APAC - Semi, with WoW (need new distribution partner in China), Diablo, Warcraft/Starcraft (although dead in terms of new entries) + bonus CoD Mobile

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
I would fear for Atlus with no PlayStation or Nintendo
Microsoft wouldn't start telling Atlus that they couldn't make SMT games if they got picked up.
Would be a good push for Microsoft to break out in Japan more. I doubt at this point Japan is even Atlus' biggest market anyways. I'm sure they'd be just fine under Microsoft and I'm sure Persona would be a good system seller for them as well.
Not saying I want any more of these acquisitions to go through but I don't think Microsoft would be the death of any of Segas current franchises.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Remember, companies can be targeted but there has to be an agreement to be purchased from both sides. Some of these companies could have just said ¨no¨.

PoeticProse22

Oct 25, 2017
Even though it's expected that MS would have looked at nearly every notable developer and publisher at some point, greedy tech titan CEO's chummily talking about how much of the industry they should absorb is pretty nauseating. It's exceedingly fortunate that none of that has happened and I'm hopeful that the majority of it won't anytime soon since all of this was pre-Activision. Also, Spencer and Nadella espousing interest doesn't mean that any of these studios and publishers (especially Sega) would have actually accepted their overtures. Sega, in particular, should never happen and would be disastrous for all involved.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
I mean if you believe the rumors MS balked at Bungie because of the contractual requirement that they be allowed to remain multiplatform.

Even post purchase of Bungie to Sony, Bungie stated as much that they will put their games on whatever platforms they so choose and have yet to steer away from that mentality and business choice.

bananas

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Sega just makes too much sense for MS not to try to go after it.

- Strong Japanese development presence. An area that MS sorely lacks in. Check.
- Strong group of PC development in Sega of Europe. An area that MS wants to expand. Check.
- Rovio now being part of Sega makes this even more interesting for MS, since they would further expand their mobile development. Check.
- A lot of recognizable IP that sells well to help boost Game Pass catalog. Check.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Bungie could be great acquisition.

images

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
I hope nobody buys Supergiant. I enjoy buying their games on every platform known to man.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
I'm just very numb to all of this at this point.

How can I have a strong reaction to Microsoft trying to buy Bungie when Sony just have?

It's both the videogame and wider media industry currently. This is not some huge shock that they are looking at more additions, I'd imagine everyone is.

Joo

May 25, 2018
It's really no surprise that most major companies have been looked at and considered. It's still very important that this list was before they went for ABK.
Damn Sega would be nearly perfect fit. Bring back the Dreamcast
May I ask, why? I just don't see it, or if this is the case, then almost any company is a perfect fit for MS.
I though MS considering acquiring Bungie was known. But they balked at the price, and so Sony got them instead.
No, I think MS rejected Bungie because of the high price
Like we would actually have any idea what happened, in terms of e.g. MS backing off because of the price etc.

TheFurizzlyBear

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No, but see, as long as the company I LIKE is the one getting all the games and other people can't play them anymore, it's good business. If the company I DON'T LIKE is getting games and I can't play them anymore, then it's very anti-consumer, you see?

Mega-consolidation is shit. The industry is in such a bad place right now and it's only getting worse, not better.
Making big games is harder and harder, every single company MS has bought recently has been looking to get bought. Activision is probably the only one that wasn't desperate to be bought. I'm sure that the teams under Activision will tell you the industry will be better off without Kotick leading union busting at one of the biggest pubs in the industry.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, so it's to bolster Game Pass.

Interesting. Especially since this info is coming from the FTC case.

I mean if you believe the rumors MS balked at Bungie because of the contractual requirement that they be allowed to remain multiplatform.
You know, I was gonna bring this up recently after the FTC hearing... 🤔

OP
OP
vixolus

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Phil's email regarding SEGA was November 2020...

fbdc0cc505c4f614032fd75b7115bd3b.png
EimMEj_WAAAdhs_
EimME5vWAAAVzk1
EimMFD2WAAEvvUA

September 2020 btw..

Which came first.... the memes or the business plan...

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Interesting that they put the most emphasis on PC and mobile in US and Europe. Guess they weren't lying about that being their priority.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
Game Pass necessitates this massive consolidation as it's a loss-leading business strategy, which is why MS will basically be the only platform holder pursuing this kind of expansion unlike Nintendo or Sony.

PunkSxE

Banned
Apr 9, 2020
After they're done with ABK, I still think they're going after Sega. I can already see this image popping up in a random tuesday

images

Streusel

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 28, 2017
Sega just makes too much sense for MS not to try to go after it.

- Strong Japanese development presence. An area that MS sorely lacks in. Check.
- Strong group of PC development in Sega of Europe. An area that MS wants to expand. Check.
- Rovio now being part of Sega makes this even more interesting for MS, since they would further expand their mobile development. Check.
- A lot of recognizable IP that sells well to help boost Game Pass catalog. Check.
- big family friendly ip (sonic + angry birds). area they want to expand. check.

Daramir

Jan 20, 2022
Germany
It's really no surprise that most major companies have been looked at and considered. It's still very important that this list was before they went for ABK.

May I ask, why? I just don't see it, or if this is the case, then almost any company is a perfect fit for MS.

Like we would actually have any idea what happened, in terms of e.g. MS backing off because of the price etc.
Just saying what the rumours were.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
But! If it falls through SEGA back on the table imo.
Not for a long, long while. Whether or not the ABK acquisition goes through, Microsoft will not be in a good place with regulators in pursuing publishers.

For as much as people like to paint it otherwise, Microsoft has had to be extremely mindful to the point of being proactively cooperative after the internet explorer/windows business. Whatever happens with the current deal will once again put them on the back foot, rather than lead to a slippery slope situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.