• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
I care about Tucker Carlson and his safety about as much as Republicans care about immigrants family's wellbeing.

seat

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
I believe a private citizen is just one not in a government position, isn't it? Regardless, Tucker Carlson's fame shouldn't make anyone more comfortable with the idea of him being murdered.
I would argue that he is a public figure. Definitions are subjective on this. Regardless, he is a preacher of hate to a large audience, and he is certainly not a private person.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_figure

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly, the guy has blood on his hands and he shows no signs of stopping that behavior unless the people step in and pressure him to stop. That involves inconveniencing him everywhere: restaurants, the grocery store, his home. It means he gets no respite from the consequences for his actions, and eventually it is not worth it for him to continue to hurt people anymore. He had plenty of chances to be civil, he chose otherwise. His loss.
We all know it's bullshit here, but after a Trump supporter sent bombs to high-profile democrats you'd think just out of decency they'd maybe cool it a little. it's pathetic

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not really

The right has already shown on multiple occasions they're willing to kill rather than debate, taken to its logical extreme your fear has everyone on the left staying silent in their homes wringing their hands while the world turns to garbage.
Arguing against this by "taking this thinking to its logical extreme" is constructing a strawman. I believe we can and should do shit, while stopping short of harassing people at their homes.

SpiritUnion

Alt-Account
Banned
Oct 20, 2018
Why all the hand-wringing over protesting outside of his home if you advocate non-violence?

Because, as I've said, these sorts of mobs egg themselves on and attract agent provocateurs.
It's not a big leap from a mob angrily gathering at a private citizen's home to something violent or destructive happening.
The possibility of violence is more than visible. That's why I'm concerned.

And then, beyond that, you have many, many people right here in this thread tacitly or bluntly supporting that result.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Not caring isn't the same thing as not minding, not being bothered. You were day dreaming about it, wishing out loud. That's not the same thing as not caring.
Alright where's the cutoff point for the acceptable amount of misfortune to wish upon a bad person? Can I say it would be cool if he got a flat tire and nobody was willing to tow his car or give him a ride?

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Is he wrong? Non-violence is a pretty strong belief in a massive amount of people.

I said "an angry mob." I didn't not mention Black Live Matter, and I didn't use the word protesters.
You are dishonestly and blatantly trying to misrepresent what I'm saying.
The thread is literally about protestors. Why are you referring to them as an angry mob then?

Because, as I've said, these sorts of mobs egg themselves on and attract agent provocateurs.
It's not a big leap from a mob angrily gathering at a private citizen's home to something violent or destructive happening.

And then, beyond that, you have many, many people right here in this thread tacitly or bluntly supporting that result.

Yes we get it, you're concerned when large groups of people get together. So you're against protesting in general or is there certain protesting that is ok and not "angry mob" status?

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It is mob mentality and it happens alot here. When people speak against it they automatically assume you side with the person. (ie Carson)

But people looking for blood on here who aren't willing to draw the blood themselves should chill the fuck out. We don't want this country to turn violent. You may want it to take a violent turn with anti fascists and racists duking it out. Sure it starts off small, fists and bats, then it escalated to guns and before you know it, me and you're caught up in the mix. I think people need to see someone get stabbed or hear what a bat sounds like when it cracks someone's head....in person...before sitting here asking for revolution. Let reality sink in, you don't want this shit getting out of hand. You don't want organized racists banging on Anderson Coopers door, knowing their home address.

It took one idiot...to send pipe bombs. Yes I understand Carlson's rhetoric ratched the nation to where it is today. But how come we are not writing his sponsors and taking him down like we did O'Rielly or whomever else whose pockets we hit?

Exactly. This blood lust will quickly get out of hand.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Again....why are we not putting the pressure on the sponsors. Pulling sponsors is a fuck of a lot better than going to people's houses and making that a thing.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I expect some people in the government want these events to happen so they can go into agent provocateur mode and just throw a brick at Carlson's window to ban protesting or something.

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alright where's the cutoff point for the acceptable amount of misfortune to wish upon a bad person? Can I say it would be cool if he got a flat tire and nobody was willing to tow his car or give him a ride?

Yeah but what if you suddenly got a flat tire too huh? Wouldn't you not wanna be in that situation!? You're just as bad as the racist!

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know. I think it's a murky subject. I'm not comfortable drawing that line, and I believe it's subjective. I'm comfortable saying I think hoping his house gets fire bombed is offside though.

SpiritUnion

Alt-Account
Banned
Oct 20, 2018
The thread is literally about protestors. Why are you referring to them as an angry mob then?

You know what you're doing.

I was talking about a hypothetical mob in hypothetical future where you or a hypothetical person end up on the wrong side of some hypothetical issues.
You're trying to change the whole conversation to being about me disliking protest, or something, and that's dishonest. I love peaceful protest - it's one of our most important civil liberties.

Besides, it'd just be far more effective in general to be protesting at his place of work rather than his private residence. The optics are better, it gets the sponsors nervous and pulling their money... It's just a far superior way to go.

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know what you're doing.

I was talking about a hypothetical mob in hypothetical future where you or a hypothetical person end up on the wrong side of some hypothetical issues.
You're trying to change the whole conversation to being about me disliking protest, or something, and that's dishonest. I love peaceful protest - it's one of our most important civil liberties.

You're gaslighting again. You called them a Mob several times

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017

Well, the people in the thread aren't at his home so who gives a shit what we think? And your logic is just slippery slope, isn't it? It might happen, it might not. An "agent provocateur" could get to him anytime, or any number of people anytime. I don't see what that has to do with a peaceful protest outside the home of a Nazi, which is letting the guy get off pretty damn easy considering how he would have been handled historically.
Yep

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
They voted Trump because they are ignorant racists. Not because some people on a gaming forum made snarky comments.
Exactly. That's why it's so funny. If you see somebody at a diner get yelled at and decide you no longer want to be a Democrat, you never were. Not when Trump is President and doing something dastardly daily while Republicans enable and cover for him on the world stage. It's a joke.

Now if your take a way is "well I don't approve, but, I can't seem to care when kids are in cages" then ok, we can talk.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Again....why are we not putting the pressure on the sponsors. Pulling sponsors is a fuck of a lot better than going to people's houses and making that a thing.
David Hogg accomplished so much more with his tweet about Laura Ingraham than what this group will be doing. This only gives him fodder for his show. Follow the money.

SpiritUnion

Alt-Account
Banned
Oct 20, 2018

Even if I had, which wasn't my intention, are they not literally a mob?
They are a large gathering of people coming together to protest for a purpose they're upset over.

You're trying to turn "mob" into some sort of slur when it's just an appropriate noun.

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You compared this to the civil war and WW2.

Funny how the situation this country finds itself in mirrors the lead up to WWII. But this was my actual post:

Attack with words, ideals and facts, not physical violence and physical intimidation.

It just gives the opposition ammo.
Yeah that's how we beat the Nazis and Confederates last time.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Exactly. That's why it's so funny. If you see somebody at a diner get yelled at and decide you no longer want to be a Democrat, you never were. Not when Trump is President and doing something dastardly daily while Republicans enable and cover for him on the world stage. It's a joke.
Oh you were being sarcastic in your first post. That's my bad. My sarcasm detector didn't go off.

Stocky

Feb 6, 2018
It is mob mentality and it happens alot here. When people speak against it they automatically assume you side with the person. (ie Carson)

But people looking for blood on here who aren't willing to draw the blood themselves should chill the fuck out. We don't want this country to turn violent. You may want it to take a violent turn with anti fascists and racists duking it out. Sure it starts off small, fists and bats, then it escalated to guns and before you know it, me and you're caught up in the mix. I think people need to see someone get stabbed or hear what a bat sounds like when it cracks someone's head....in person...before sitting here asking for revolution. Let reality sink in, you don't want this shit getting out of hand. You don't want organized racists banging on Anderson Coopers door, knowing their home address.

It took one idiot...to send pipe bombs. Yes I understand Carlson's rhetoric ratched the nation to where it is today. But how come we are not writing his sponsors and taking him down like we did O'Rielly or whomever else whose pockets we hit?

I agree wholeheartedly. I mean, it's okay to be angry about what some of these idiots like Carlson say and do, but threats of violence or harassing him at his home is not the way to go about things. If we go down that path, it will just escalate until it gets out of control. Lines will get blurred and it only make it more difficult to get people to see the truth.

The fact of the matter is everyone has someone to answer to. Contact his sponsors. Contact Twitter. Help educate on issues that will lead people away from him. Take away his god damn voice. There's so many things that can be done to take down these nazi assholes without stooping to their levels.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Both are being done simultaneously, plenty of people have gone after sponsors. The sponsors are well are aware of what they support.
lol megyn kelly is sad that tucker is being protested boo frigging hoo

She should talk about it on her show. Oh, wait.

What this really reads like is "the jig is up, I hope they don't come for me next!"

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know. I think it's a murky subject. I'm not comfortable drawing that line, and I believe it's subjective. I'm comfortable saying I think hoping his house gets fire bombed is offside though.
Well, forgive me if the current political climate of mail bombs and mass shootings by incels and white nationalists has left me a little insensitive toward some guy on Fox News who feeds Nazi talking points directly into the president's head whenever he watches his show.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA

Why don't you wait until something actually happens to cry about it instead of worrying.

Okay, maybe you don't like what they're doing to Carlson. But what the fuck are you doing to help? How are you making things any better?

The difference between someone who actively likes Carlson and someone who doesn't want Carlson to be harassed (without providing another avenue for Carlson's downfall) is precious little at this point.

The dictionary definition of "mob" is "a large crowd of people."
Any positive or negative connotation there is being supplied by the reader.
You evil motherfucker. You're the one who keeps supplying negative connotations by saying you don't want this mob to exist and implying that they will necessarily become violent.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck him. Absolutely deserved. He launders white supremacist rhetoric into primetime television. Blood is on his hands.

There is no reason to insulate elites from blowback for the shit they do. He uses his platform to unleash hatred. In a society that has consequences.

Status
Not open for further replies.