Contramann

Oct 27, 2017
He'd hit the talk show circuit, Get a show on Fox News, sign a book deal, and/or get involved in some other bullshit and would be back living better than the average person in no time. I want him in prison where that isn't an option.
He doesn't want book deal or Fox News money. He wants "I am one of the 100 most rich people in the world" money.

Don't mistake this also as me saying I don't want Prison Time for him, I do. But I want this absolutely more. I absolutely want the thing he values most taken away from him ontop of everything else.

Or as another poster said "Por que no los dos?".

OP
OP
phisheep

phisheep

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes
Oct 26, 2017
That sounds like fun. Ivanka has done very well to distance herself from everything so far, but I don't think she can escape being a fact witness, even by lying about where she lives.

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
Doubtful she'll be there in person, this is just Trump's side trying to get her subpoena for testimony quashed. I have a feeling, given Judge Engoron's prior behavior, that the subpoena will stand.

OP
OP
phisheep

phisheep

Oct 26, 2017
Doubtful she'll be there in person, this is just Trump's side trying to get her subpoena for testimony quashed. I have a feeling, given Judge Engoron's prior behavior, that the subpoena will stand.

Pretty sure she won't be there tomorrow, just the lawyers. But there's plenty evidence that she's a fact witness and falls under Engoron's jurisdiction.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
I'm not so sure I buy the "Trump is particularly mad/lashing out about this case because it's the one that targets his business image!" talking point...frankly I think the reason for his louder reactions here is much simpler than that. I think he's going crazy about this trial in particular because it's the one that's actually in trial at the moment, and he's now been there in person to witness it several times. Most of the other big episodes (the documents case, the Georgia case, the DC case) are all still largely going through pre-trial motions and setup and various procedural things and the day-to-day developments aren't leading national nightly news headlines.
Trump is a media-addicted simpleton. He wanted the case ended immediately during one part of Cohen's cross because in his mind Cohen is the "star" of the trial, the big name that everyone knows and the person who has most publicly talked badly of him and his business practices in the media. He has no comprehension of Cohen's attempt to form distinctions between what Trump literally told him and what Trump implicitly told him, and like Trump has already pointed out, he wants this trial to work like Perry Mason, where a witnenss buckles under questioning and that instantly means the case is solved and the episode ends. I really think his conception of the case ends there and he's happy to ignore the dozen other testimonies and reams of physical evidence of his financial schemes.
He's used to getting preferential treatment his whole life, so this judge getting annoyed by his attorneys or batting back his motions looks like undue bias in his eyes. He'll be just as bad if not worse in Chutkan's courtroom once that trial gets underway, because then that'll be the one that's happening and the one that's talked about on TV.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
He doesn't want book deal or Fox News money. He wants "I am one of the 100 most rich people in the world" money.

Don't mistake this also as me saying I don't want Prison Time for him, I do. But I want this absolutely more. I absolutely want the thing he values most taken away from him ontop of everything else.

Or as another poster said "Por que no los dos?".

I've pondered which one Trump would pick, if given the choice (and forced to make it): broke and free, or rich and imprisoned?

I want both. Or even worse than "broke", actually; underwater and under constant demand from all sides. But I'd pick prison of the two. He's too dangerous to be free.

TRIAL - Day 18, tax advisor and a row about Ivanka
OP
OP
phisheep

phisheep

Oct 26, 2017
Day 18 summary

Witnesses
Sheri Dillon (Morgan Lewis) outside tax counsel for Trump Org, direct only, no cross was wanted

Also, big row over whether Ivanka must testify. She must.

Last edited:
OP
OP
phisheep

phisheep

Oct 26, 2017
Article by Adam Klasfeld on the Ivanka connection.

Heated arguments about whether Ivanka will be compelled to testify

- She says does not live in NY or transact business there, so court does not have subpoena jurisdiction over her (but there's no affidavit to say that)
- AG says she own businesses in the state, and that's enough
- Kise says it is an out and out fishing expedition
- AG says she was properly served at multiple business addresses
- defense says the businesses can send who they like, how about Eric instead?

(Not clear to me whether the subpoenas were served on Ivanka personally at a business address or on the businesses themselves)

Engoron asks what NY property Ivanka owns. Defense say they don't know(!), AG lists several, defense says that's out of date. Engoron says legal presumption that things stay the same unless they change.

Short break while he mulls it over before deciding.

IVANKA MUST TESTIFY (but not before 1 Nov, and she can appeal this)

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
unifiedcontent-1.png

OP
OP
phisheep

phisheep

Oct 26, 2017
Sheri Dillon is back on the stand, still on direct - about easements on the Westchester Golf Course.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
Article by Adam Klasfeld on the Ivanka connection.

Heated arguments about whether Ivanka will be compelled to testify

- She says does not live in NY or transact business there, so court does not have subpoena jurisdiction over her (but there's no affidavit to say that)
- AG says she own businesses in the state, and that's enough
- Kise says it is an out and out fishing expedition
- AG says she was properly served at multiple business addresses

(Not clear to me whether the subpoenas were served on Ivanka personally at a business address or on the businesses themselves)

Engoron asks what NY property Ivanka owns. Defense say they don't know(!), AG lists several, defense says that's out of date. Engoron says legal presumption that things stay the same unless they change.

Short break while he mulls it over before deciding.

IVANKA MUST TESTIFY (but not before 1 Nov, and she can appeal this)
That has to be a shocking miss for the defense attorneys. They weren't prepared to discuss property that she might own in New York but the state was? LOL.

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
Oof, that was a massive own goal there by Trump's defense team. I suspect that they were banking on the out-of-state argument being the only thing they needed and the AG drilling into it got 'em shook.

The appeals documents are gonna be hilarious, I'm calling that now.

OP
OP
phisheep

phisheep

Oct 26, 2017

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Dillon's testimony is done, no cross examination, and we're wrapped for the day.

Also, Trump has paid his fines

View: https://twitter.com/lawofruby/status/1717930727201763650

Also, the various Trumps are expected to testify starting Wednesday

View: https://twitter.com/dsamuelsohn/status/1717946609101611370

Busy week next week, we've also got the hearings for Episode 6 in Colorado and Minnesota, and Aileen Cannon at last holding a hearing on Trump's motion to delay until Kingdom come.

This being a civil trial I wonder if he does something stupid or pleas the fifth. Which doesn't inherently help him

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
It's not terribly out of the ordinary that a law firm is paying the contempt fines, the question is if they are just doing it out of their own funds, or if Trump gave them the money.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Alina Habba paid the fines on his behalf? Good luck getting that money back.

It's not terribly out of the ordinary that a law firm is paying the contempt fines, the question is if they are just doing it out of their own funds, or if Trump gave them the money.
The phrasing says the funds are coming out of their "trust" account which would be the money clients have paid them in retainer, but they haven't yet earned.

One would assume they had Trump pay a large retainer in advance.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
Expect four days of "I don't recall"'s Greatest Hits.
I try to hold off on wading too much into the trial threads because I want to avoid misspeaking, but:

Doesn't "I don't recall" in this instance not protect them at all in the civil trial due to the amount of data/evidence?
That basically means the DA's evidence gets to speak for itself, and they lose their assets at the end?

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
This is a civil trial in front of a very experienced judge. This and the 5th will hurt them more than help

Oh I'm not saying it's going to be helpful, I'm saying don't expect any of the four of them to drop any bombshells. Since they can't outright lie on the stand, they'll do the next best thing (in their book) which is to just not answer.

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh I'm not saying it's going to be helpful, I'm saying don't expect any of the four of them to drop any bombshells. Since they can't outright lie on the stand, they'll do the next best thing (in their book) which is to just not answer.

I mean...they *can* lie on the stand, it just won't go well for them I would hope.

Quint75

Mar 6, 2019
I expect Don Jr to be very defiant and combative. He's arrogant and too stupid to know that it won't help his cause at all.

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
Wait for that moment when any of the kids are on the stand and Senior Trump yells "objection"! He is not going to be able to stay quiet and will try to correct anything they say.