OP
OP
phisheep

phisheep

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes
Oct 26, 2017
For "according to news reports" read "according to representations I made in a filing in a Florida court".

In my head the opening exchanges go something like this:

JUDGE: Good morning Mr Trump
LAURO: Your Honour, my client prefers to be addressed as "President Trump"
JUDGE: And I prefer not to be referred to as an arrogant leftist hack, so I guess we are even, eh, Mister Trump ...

TRIAL - Day 1, opening statements and Mazars accountant
OP
OP
phisheep

phisheep

Oct 26, 2017
Summary of day 1 (CNN Sky)

Opening statements
Kevin Wallace (for the State) - big fraud, look at these depositions, everything is inflated
Chris Kise (for Trump?) - look, valuations can vary. Nothing illegal about it, besides the banks knew that and still gave the loans.
Alina Habba (for Weisselberg, McConney etc) - political hit job. Mar-a-lago is worth $1b, so is Doral. It's all Mazars fault.
Cliff Robert (for Don Jr and Eric) - Michael Cohen is a liar, and there's nothing wrong with the valuations, and these boys had nothing to do with it. No way.

Witness
Donald Bender (Mazars acountant) - gripping tale of how accountants copy stuff from one document to another, Trump Org broke GAAP rules.

Last edited:
OP
OP
phisheep

phisheep

Oct 26, 2017
How is the business license cancelation/business dissolvent going anyways?

Judge ordered cancellation of business licenses already, and gave parties 10 days to come up names of candidate receivers. IIRC he extended that to 30 days at oral hearing. Don't know whether the cancellations have actually happened yet - I'd guess not, since there's a lot of day-to-day business with tenants that has to be done in the meantime. We'll probably know more by the end of the month.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Judge ordered cancellation of business licenses already, and gave parties 10 days to come up names of candidate receivers. IIRC he extended that to 30 days at oral hearing. Don't know whether the cancellations have actually happened yet - I'd guess not, since there's a lot of day-to-day business with tenants that has to be done in the meantime. We'll probably know more by the end of the month.
Ah ok, was curious if Trump had tried any tomfoolery to try and overturn it. He's being monitored so I doubt he'd try something as stupid as moving assets out

manifest73

Oct 28, 2017
Wait he's going to have to testify UNDER OATH? Yo he's cooked.
It remains to be seen if the state will actually call him, and even if they do expect a lot of variations on "my attorney has advised me to take the 5th and not answer that question". Now this being a civil case that can be used against him, but I'm not sure if that even matters here since the judge has already made summary judgement against the Trumps on one of the issues.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
Good on MSNBC for not airing his comments. It's the same bullshit, "she's racist, she's personally attacking me, I'm innocent"

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
So he came out, did he spiel to get on right wing outlets to paint the picture that they'll all eat up because there's no cameras in the court room. First thing MSNBC said: He's already been found liable for this fraud. None of this is a trial on if he's innocent, the judge has already deemed he has committed so much fraud, there's no reason for a full trial for a jury of his peers.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
So he came out, did he spiel to get on right wing outlets to paint the picture that they'll all eat up because there's no cameras in the court room. First thing MSNBC said: He's already been found liable for this fraud. None of this is a trial on if he's innocent, the judge has already deemed he has committed so much fraud, there's no reason for a full trial for a jury of his peers.
Hahah, glazing over the fact he messed up the paperwork to get a jury is a hoot

OP
OP
phisheep

phisheep

Oct 26, 2017

No jury anyway, because his lawyer forgot to ask for one.

OP
OP
phisheep

phisheep

Oct 26, 2017
Adam Klasfeld said:
Engoron notes that he had vowed to kick off trial today "come hell or high water," and quips that, "meteorologically speaking," we've had the "high water." Any New Yorker gets the reference to our massive flooding on Friday.

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
Take as much from him as legally possible, destroy his family's fortune and show him for the fraud that he is.

Please.

OP
OP
phisheep

phisheep

Oct 26, 2017
AP has a nice profile of Judge Engoron - drummer, keyboard player and ex-taxi-driver. I'll link it in the OP.

AG is playing excerpts of Eric's and Don Jr's and Trump's depositions, over objections from Trump lawyer. All saying not their fault.

OP
OP
phisheep

phisheep

Oct 26, 2017
Per BBC liveblog:
The trial is scheduled to last from today until 22 December 2023, the Friday before Christmas, he says. Engoron says he'll hear the case Monday through Thursday all day and in the mornings on Friday.

Oct 27, 2021
Obligatory "there's a Simpsons gif for everything" Simpsons gif

274374.jpg

Bengraven