• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
So by my reckoning they're planning to add about 15% more shares, so arguably 18% drop in the share price isn't terrible for them...

...but that's just an 18% drop today. There's plenty of time for it to go far lower!
But also, they are filing to be able to SELL IT ALL. The float is 36.4M and Trump wants to sell his 114.75M shares into that float.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017

Trump Media tumbles 18% after taking the first step towards unlocking early insider stock sales

markets.businessinsider.com

Trump Media tumbles 18% after taking the first step towards unlocking early insider stock sales

The Truth Social parent company has filed to allow insiders, such as former president Donald Trump, to sell their stake in the company.

I wonder if it's possible for the stock price to actually drop below a dollar at some point, or does Trump still have enough brand appeal that he can keep it above that line?

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if it's possible for the stock price to actually drop below a dollar at some point, or does Trump still have enough brand appeal that he can keep it above that line?
His brand appeal wasn't enough to save any of his other business ventures that have folded over the years, so an unsuccessful social media site's shares dropping below a dollar as everyone races to the exit wouldn't be surprising at all.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
We should be getting details of the bond today.

www.newsweek.com

Donald Trump to reveal bond details as Letitia James poised to strike

Trump must file a $175 million bond on Monday to stop the New York attorney general from seizing his assets
Golden said that Trump or KSIC will have to file a motion in court on Monday to show that they have the $175 million in place.

"Unless another insurer can be found, then likely Trump or KSIC will indeed file a motion in court, attempting to prove that KSIC does have sufficient assets," Golden said.

"Presumably, if the motion fails, the Attorney General will take the position that the bond is without effect, and that the Attorney General may start to take collection efforts," Golden said.

However, Trump could seek a stay while he yet again tries to amend the bond, Golden added.

"Trump may ask either the lower court or the appellate court (or both) to provide him with a new temporary stay, and an extension of time to find a new bonding company that is more likely to pass muster," he said.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States

giphy.gif

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I assume they have until midnight?
Midnight EST, correct. So a hour and a half. Tho Trump's been a troll about filing stuff last minute. Kinda doubt he has a fix for this tho, if this super shady setup was the best he could get from the guy literally called king of bonds(who's probably playing Trump for a payout)

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
Midnight EST, correct. So a hour and a half. Tho Trump's been a troll about filing stuff last minute. Kinda doubt he has a fix for this tho, if this super shady setup was the best he could get from the guy literally called king of bonds(who's probably playing Trump for a payout)

Oh, so you're saying he might actually be sitting in Gendo Ikari pose waiting for 11:59 to file his submission?

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Trump was napping all day so he could stay up past his bedtime to file the submission.

Anyway, they should start taking his shit while he's held up in court.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I really wonder what "cash equivalents" means there. If he essentially has the cash, why needlessly involve a third party?

I'm an idiot, so this probably doesn't make sense, but would stock be considered a "cash equivalent"? He may not be allowed to sell DJT stock, but who's to say he can't keep it in an account?

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, AG is rejecting this one immediately.

We already knew the collateral was in a "pledged account" that Knight doesn't actually have, and this doesn't prove it's suriety any further.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Yeah, AG is rejecting this one immediately.

We already knew the collateral was in a "pledged account" that Knight doesn't actually have, and this doesn't prove it's suriety any further.
This is just doubling down on the "it's not actually a bond, he's paying us to say he has the cash(that he can't give to you or liquidate right now), and he owes us the money too whether he wins or loses appeal".

Don't think this is going fly with the AG or the judge. And if this is the best he can get the appeals court ain't giving him another chance. This is basically fraud(the cornerstone of this whole case).

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
So it's...a note that says "Trump told us he has the money in a trust, and you're not allowed to lie on a trust, that's why it's called that!"

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
This seems like the same kind of bullshit this entire case was about. Can they be charged with fraud or contempt of court as a result? You'd really think this kind of stunt would result in his chance to appeal being rejected. If he attempts this level of fraud and bad faith there's no way for him to get a legit bond anymore anyways

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
Someone can correct me, but looks like Knight said to NY "we don't need to follow your rules" about having enough equity to cover the bond by saying something about out of state insurers. I believe NY requires no more than 10% of the company's liquidity to be in a bond, and not only is the equity only a tenth of that requirement (and actually doesn't even cover it 1 for 1), BUT their total ASSETS are ALSO half that value (which doesn't matter anyways but fun to point out). This company is nowhere solvent enough to cover this bond.

Last edited:

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Scathing rebuke is all well and good but at this point I don't want him to get another "ten days to try and sort it out again"

Culex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The Trump Media stock seems like a prolonged pump and dump to give him a financial get out of jail free card.

It's seem highly dubious and perhaps illegal? He issued stock on a company that is basically collapsing financially, wherein he owns over 50% of the stock that is issued. Seems like even if the stock drops to 5/share, he still wins? Am I wrong that this seems highly suspect?

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
So if I'm understanding this right...it sounds like Trump might be trying to essentially use a second company owned by the same guy he has his E Jean large bond with, in order for both companies to be (at least in part) claiming some of the same non-cash assets as collateral? And obviously that can't really work because if the appeals fail or the assets in the trust bottom out, he'd be stuck trying to give the same thing to two different entities and that obviously doesn't fly, even if it would ultimately be going to the same guy at the top.

I'm really hoping all this fuckery just leads to the bond being denied and thus the appeal auto-failing, leaving him owing the full half-bil. What a cherry on top of him sitting miserably in court this week already.

OP
OP
phisheep

phisheep

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes
Oct 26, 2017
There's a lot we don't know here. There's a lot that nobody knows.

Like whether the collateral account is multiply committed or not, or whether the excess lines insurance allows filing bonds, or how the bond might be collected on should Trump default.

Not going to get drawn into speculating on that, other than to say it looks deeply suspicious that they've filed the statement of account as at 5 April, rather than 1 April when the bond was first filed or 15 April when the justification was filed. It makes no sense.

ivantod

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe the strategy is to keep filing invalid bonds and requesting extensions to amend them. You only need to be able to keep doing it for around 6 months or so until the election. Let's se if it will work again, especially since this one seems even more egregiously fraudulent than last time. How is this guy incapable to not be committing crimes for like 5 minutes.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe the strategy is to keep filing invalid bonds and requesting extensions to amend them. You only need to be able to keep doing it for around 6 months or so until the election. Let's se if it will work again, especially since this one seems even more egregiously fraudulent than last time. How is this guy incapable to not be committing crimes for like 5 minutes.
That might be a strategy but it's not going to work and he's just accruing interest in the meantime

Fnor

Nov 7, 2023
Buying into a story spun by serial fabulist Seth Abramson when the actual story is less than a week away is probably not healthy. Like phisheep said, there's a mountain of things we don't know about these financial arrangements.