• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
Made a couple of gifs to show the horrific banding and weird black swathes moving across the screen on PC mode playing Ashen.

Still banding on game but it's a night and day difference, but the PC one is staggeringly bad in person as you play and move.

Colour changes are exposure adjustments from the camera.

PC ISF
20181212_220232fgib2.gif

Game
20181212_2210525hce8.gif

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
You have time to take a pass at it? I just got a 4K TV a month ago so I have limited experience with the list.

Movies
Sicario: Day of the Soldado
The Matrix Trilogy
Dunkirk
Lucy
Avengers: Infinity War
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
The Dark Tower
Pacific Rim
Ready Player One
Power Rangers
The Shallows

I would also add Godless to the TV show list.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Just spent the last several hours dealing with the HD Fury Linker. This thing just doesn't work, it's refusing to send the HDR metadata.

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
The plot thickens regarding PC mode banding on a B7, if you select 10 or 12bit which gives you 4:2:0 chroma, the banding is identical to any of the non PC modes....just means you have to use 4:2:0 but it's hard to tell the difference in a game compared to full RGB!

So the question is, why the hell couldn't LG get full RGB working properly!!??

This does mean that we get rec709 back and decent gradations again though, and HDR will still auto switch 4:2:2 12 bit.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Made a couple of gifs to show the horrific banding and weird black swathes moving across the screen on PC mode playing Ashen.

Still banding on game but it's a night and day difference, but the PC one is staggeringly bad in person as you play and move.

Colour changes are exposure adjustments from the camera.

PC ISF
20181212_220232fgib2.gif

Game
20181212_2210525hce8.gif

Have you adjusted the in game gamma?

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
In my experience if you only use it for gaming an OLED is fine with a PC. If you want to use it for other purposes i'd reconsider.
Hmm. Ok. I use my pc right now for games and also videos and stuff. I do surf the web a bit and might do some photoshop here and there. Generally I read on other forums to just switch up what I'm doing and not leave a static image in the screen for 8 hours a day or something.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
The Matrix sequels actually got updated with Atmos on iTunes today. Nice surprise to come home to.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Movies
Sicario: Day of the Soldado
The Matrix Trilogy
Dunkirk
Lucy
Avengers: Infinity War
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
The Dark Tower
Pacific Rim
Ready Player One
Power Rangers
The Shallows

I would also add Godless to the TV show list.

What about Passengers and Alien Covenant? They both look great on 4K disc.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Does anyone in here use an oled as a computer monitor? If so, any issues? I'm starting to get the 4K bug again but am so indecisive on what I want. Plus I need to upgrade my Onkyo receiver to allow 4K and HDR so that's another expense.
Yes, I have been using a B7 as my only PC monitor for 15 months. No issues, love it.

Edit: I use it for gaming as well as web browsing, word processing, music production (ableton live), youtube, and other general PC things. No burn in at all, I pull up test slides every now and again to keep an eye on things, have never seen a hint of BI yet. I just set task bar to auto-hide and have a 5 minute screen saver.

It's also my main display for streaming/movies and ps4/xbox/switch

Last edited:

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
Saw the 8k 85'' Samsung in person at Best Buy. I don't know if the demo content was native 8k or not, but man was the picture super clear.

$15,000 seems like a (relatively) decent price to me? A year ago the 77'' OLEDs were around the $10,000 range.

One1stepahead

Oct 27, 2017
The plot thickens regarding PC mode banding on a B7, if you select 10 or 12bit which gives you 4:2:0 chroma, the banding is identical to any of the non PC modes....just means you have to use 4:2:0 but it's hard to tell the difference in a game compared to full RGB!

So the question is, why the hell couldn't LG get full RGB working properly!!??

This does mean that we get rec709 back and decent gradations again though, and HDR will still auto switch 4:2:2 12 bit.

I tested it out with RDR 2 on the X and you're right! PC mode with 4:2:0 doesn't shown the extra banding i see with RGB! This is so weird! So it's choosing between game mode RGB and forced wide colour gamut or PC mode 4:2:0 and auto colour gamut... We can't have it all.

But using PC mode in HDR 4:2:2 isn't a option because it has horrible banding, so we are back at switching PC mode on/off again? Or do you go for Cinema HDR with PC mode 4:2:0 10bit like we did before the "PC HDR" fix?

The never ending story of this LG OLED is insane. Haha.

Edit:

So i also played DOOM and i SWEAR that i can feel more input lag when jumping with ISF bright 4:2:0 PC mode. Game mode (with PC mode) feels much better! What do you think DOTDASHDOT? This is fucked up. I can deal with 4:2:0 but more input lag? Hell no! I'm back to Game mode.

Last edited:

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
I tested it out with RDR 2 on the X and you're right! PC mode with 4:2:0 doesn't shown the extra banding i see with RGB! This is so weird! So it's choosing between game mode RGB and forced wide colour gamut or PC mode 4:2:0 and auto colour gamut... We can't have it all.

But using PC mode in HDR 4:2:2 isn't a option because it has horrible banding, so we are back at switching PC mode on/off again? Or do you go for Cinema HDR with PC mode 4:2:0 10bit like we did before the "PC HDR" fix?

Edit:

So i also played DOOM and i SWEAR that i can feel more input lag when jumping with ISF bright 4:2:0 PC mode. Game mode (with PC mode) feels much better! What do you think DOTDASHDOT? This is fucked up. I can deal with 4:2:0 but more input lag? Hell no! I'm back to Game mode.
It's not just you. I have noticed on PC for the last couple months that YUV has more input lag than RGB.

Last edited:

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017

Edit:

Come to think of it, I'm sure I heard there was a bug on the 8's that increased lag by 10ms or so using 4;2:0.......So the 7's have that too? Christ, I'll have to see later, try and force the Vertex into 4:2:0 see if I can lag test it.

Deleted member 14649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm. Ok. I use my pc right now for games and also videos and stuff. I do surf the web a bit and might do some photoshop here and there. Generally I read on other forums to just switch up what I'm doing and not leave a static image in the screen for 8 hours a day or something.

I wasn't referring to potential burn in. When I used my B6 for browsing I found the slightly uneven colour tinting unsuitable for browsing. Obviously if you get a set with perfect colour it won't be an issue and more recent sets might be more uniform. Watching videos will be fine though but I personally couldn't use mine for browsing.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
So, Dolby Vision Cinema is the most accurate picture mode on the B7, right? Cinema Home is noticeably brighter tho, is Home really that bad? Home looks like what I expect, whereas Cinema almost looks like SDR.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Passengers was on the original list so I didn't add it, it should definitely be there. I haven't seen Covenant.

Right you are. I wasn't being critical of your list btw. Those two really impressed me when I watched them on 4K disc recently and I wanted to mention them before I went to sleep so I wouldn't forget.

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Chamber thanks for the feedback...updated OP

Saw the 8k 85'' Samsung in person at Best Buy. I don't know if the demo content was native 8k or not, but man was the picture super clear.

$15,000 seems like a (relatively) decent price to me? A year ago the 77'' OLEDs were around the $10,000 range.

$15K really doesn't seem that bad, you're right. With that said, spending any money on 8K (when 2.1 isn't finalized and there is no content) seems like throwing it away. In ~4-5 years when there is 8K content and HDMI can display 8K content at 60 FPS, that's when jumping in makes sense...plus that $15K will be $7K.

Gianko

Nov 1, 2017
ROME, ITALY
finally my new Sony 55AF8 is here! men, oled is...is...is superb! i come from a 40" led Toshiba bought 8 years ago. It was a very good full hd tv with an amazing upscaling for the sd contents. So at the beginning i was worry about the size of the new 55" but now i'm already used to it and i ask for more :D
this TV delivers amazing pictures and i'm very happy of my purchase. I know that Oled is "fragile" but i believe that it's better living a day like a lion than...

One1stepahead

Oct 27, 2017
It's not just you. I have noticed on PC for the last couple months that YUV has more input lag than RGB.

Thanks for confirming this, the lag is real.

Come to think of it, I'm sure I heard there was a bug on the 8's that increased lag by 10ms or so using 4;2:0.......So the 7's have that too? Christ, I'll have to see later, try and force the Vertex into 4:2:0 see if I can lag test it.

Never heard about that bug but 4:2:0 isf PC feels way more sluggish than game mode. Start DOOM (very responsive 60fps game) jump and feel the difference. It's there. I hope you can test it with your Leo Bodnar.

More banding isn't a option and more input lag isn't a option for me so i only game in game mode from now on. That goes for SDR and HDR.

Last edited:

tr00per

Nov 4, 2017
I'm looking for a 60" or 65" TV for the living room (trying to convince my roommate that a TV taking up the whole wall is not a good idea) before Kingdom Hearts 3 comes out. HDR is the most important factor (and picture quality in general-in fact I wouldn't mind if it was only 1080p but I don't think they make those?). Speaker quality and smart features don't matter. Budget is 1500 but MAYBE I could push it to 2000.

How do super bowl sales compare to black Friday sales?
Should I just spring for the B8? The B7 seems identical?

Thanks, Era. You've always been good to me

Last edited:

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
Chamber thanks for the feedback...updated OP

$15K really doesn't seem that bad, you're right. With that said, spending any money on 8K (when 2.1 isn't finalized and there is no content) seems like throwing it away. In ~4-5 years when there is 8K content and HDMI can display 8K content at 60 FPS, that's when jumping in makes sense...plus that $15K will be $7K.

For sure. That's part of being an early adopter though. Still good to see a not so (relatively) insane price for a 85" 8k tv in 2018. Think that's a good sign for the future.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
So, Dolby Vision Cinema is the most accurate picture mode on the B7, right? Cinema Home is noticeably brighter tho, is Home really that bad? Home looks like what I expect, whereas Cinema almost looks like SDR.
I've been wondering the same thing. I always strive for accuracy when watching movies/TV, but if I can sacrifice a small bit of color accuracy for a noticeably brighter picture, then that's something I'm okay with doing.

Hutty211

Oct 29, 2017
Finally bit on a Linker and a GoBlue, thanks to everyone in this thread for putting in the work on that FAQ. For those that have it, do you find that improves the picture even with games that have proper HDR sliders? My fear is that from this point on every game will have proper sliders and I just bought $200 HDMI switcher.

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Just a new update/test for LG 2017 OLEDs' HDR Game Mode:

• Added V5 - EXPERIMENTAL HDR Game profile tuned for HIGH Dynamic Contrast: it's a totally new proposal for a MUCH brighter HDR (even more bright than HDR Technicolor with Active HDR) trying also to eredicate most of HIGH DC negative effects and be as accurate as possible at the same time. FEEDBACK IS WELCOMED

To eliminate/compensate HIGH Dynamic Contrast negative effects on PQ:

EDIT (14/12/2018):
  • Raised Brightness from 50 to 53: this will fix most introduced black crush, while some will remain very slightly. It's the highest value that can be set before loosing "perfect blacks" of OLEDs;
  • Color Gamut set from Auto to WIDE + Color 44: when DC is set to High, I noticed that Auto color gamut will suddenly show wrong/muted colors (especially muted oranges/yellows and magenta) and all of them become undersaturated. Switching to WIDE made oranges/yellows back to normal, and considering WIDE is oversaturated with same settings compared to Auto, setting its Color to 44 gave back a very comparable accuracy to Technicolor
  • Color Temperature is back to W50

I'm very impressed by far with this new experiment, as I was able to achieve an even brighter image than HDR Technicolor with Active HDR, but with no highlights clipping (typical of PC HDR Standard) and mostly accurate colors. The only visible downside is a very very slight black crush, that can not be fixed without losing also perfect blacks, but it's not bad at all.

Both Battlefield V and Forza Horizon 4 look mind blowing with this new setup, but any FEEDBACK to further improve it is always welcomed.

Give it a spin and let me know what you think ;)

Last edited:

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm looking for a 60" or 65" TV for the living room (trying to convince my roommate that a TV taking up the whole wall is not a good idea) before Kingdom Hearts 3 comes out. HDR is the most important factor (and picture quality in general-in fact I wouldn't mind if it was only 1080p but I don't think they make those?). Speaker quality and smart features don't matter. Budget is 1500 but MAYBE I could push it to 2000.

How do super bowl sales compare to black Friday sales?
Should I just spring for the B8? The B7 seems identical?

Thanks, Era. You've always been good to me

Go for the B8 over the B7.

The B8 comes with a brighter game mode HDR and slightly better uniformity.

Super bowl sales should be good too, probably close to what you saw on BF.

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Just a new update/test for LG 2017 OLEDs' HDR Game Mode:

• Added V5 - EXPERIMENTAL HDR Game profile tuned for HIGH Dynamic Contrast: it's a totally new proposal for a MUCH brighter HDR (even more bright than HDR Technicolor with Active HDR) trying also to eredicate most of HIGH DC negative effects and be as accurate as possible at the same time. FEEDBACK IS WELCOMED

To eliminate/compensate HIGH Dynamic Contrast negative effects on PQ:
  • Raised Brightness from 50 to 53: this will fix most introduced black crush, while some will remain very slightly. It's the highest value that can be set before loosing "perfect blacks" of OLEDs;
  • Color Gamut set from Auto to WIDE + Color 48: when DC is set to High, I noticed that Auto color gamut will suddenly show wrong/muted colors (especially muted oranges/yellows and magenta) and all of them become undersaturated. Switching to WIDE made oranges/yellows back to normal, and considering WIDE is oversaturated with same settings compared to Auto, setting its Color to 48 gave back a very comparable accuracy to Technicolor
  • Color Temperature slightly lowered to W45 again to mitigate an introduced yellow tint by DC

I'm very impressed by far with this new experiment, as I was able to achieve an even brighter image than HDR Technicolor with Active HDR, but with no highlights clipping (typical of PC HDR Standard) and mostly accurate colors. The only visible downside is a very very slight black crush, that can not be fixed without losing also perfect blacks, but it's not bad at all.

Both Battlefield V and Forza Horizon 4 look mind blowing with this new setup, but any FEEDBACK to further improve it is always welcomed.

Give it a spin and let me know what you think ;)

Can this be applied to PS4 Pro? Thanks

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Can this be applied to PS4 Pro? Thanks
Yes, as long as you mimic X1X suggested Video Settings (4K Resolution, 4:2:2 Chroma Subsampling, Auto Color Depth, and Standard/Limited Color Space).

Then remember to set HDR games to 4.000 nits when possible, or double check again their in-game HDR calibration settings (logo to be faded in white backgrounds etc.)

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for confirming this, the lag is real.

Never heard about that bug but 4:2:0 isf PC feels way more sluggish than game mode. Start DOOM (very responsive 60fps game) jump and feel the difference. It's there. I hope you can test it with your Leo Bodnar.

More banding isn't a option and more input lag isn't a option for me so i only game in game mode from now on. That goes for SDR and HDR.

If I cannot get the Bodnar to force 4:2:0, I'll do a couple of slo mo capture videos, that'll give us what we need to know.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, it's the TV and the way PC input handles full RGB, 4:2:0 Is the only way to get it to look right.

What I mean is, if you leave it on the default 50, this is like gamma 2.0 anyway, decreasing that slider will slow the rate of change through the dark areas and some of the mid tones, perhaps excerbating the banding.

Me_Marcadet

Oct 25, 2017
Finally bit on a Linker and a GoBlue, thanks to everyone in this thread for putting in the work on that FAQ. For those that have it, do you find that improves the picture even with games that have proper HDR sliders? My fear is that from this point on every game will have proper sliders and I just bought $200 HDMI switcher.

You still get a brighter picture at the expense of a little white clipping, but it's well worth it IMO. And keep in mind that lot of very good looking HDR games (mainly Sony exclusives) don't have a slider.

I still don't know what exactly the sliders are doing when injecting Metadata. I tried to spot some differences in FH4 switching between 10 000 nits and 800 (where the logo disappear), but it's hard to do because I have to go to the menu and the game still run in the background.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017

I think you still be good, beyond having a paper white adjustment, you still won't be helped on titles that come out too dim.

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
What I mean is, if you leave it on the default 50, this is like gamma 2.0 anyway, decreasing that slider will slow the rate of change through the dark areas and some of the mid tones, perhaps excerbating the banding.

It defintely does, but it's that thing where you'd end up changing settings that shouldn't need changing, because something fundamental is broken, so you'd just skew the picture, game mode is perfectly fine using the exact same settings.