• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mac

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
mac do you support Nazis, or should Nazis be killed?
giphy.gif

Quantza

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You aren't getting what I am saying at all. I am not labelling you a alt righer. I am saying you being black and viewing this being a good thing means nothing.

Ok. But, what's "nothing" about it? If it allows people to gain a balanced education on people's views, however shitty they are, they can then decide to ignore them.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
But Cream was referring to Trump which is in American society not UK society. There are parallels in both but they can't be treated the same. Also this whole talking point hasn't really linked back to the discussion of safe spaces in schools.

Very well societies.

This topic has nothing to do with safe spaces in schools.... This is about a school wanting to have a free for all where Are women genetically less capable of working in tech is deemed a worthy topic of discussion along with "Not all cultures are equal) .... Not to mention the humour of an all boys school discussion women and feminism... which when you look at the other topic I think draws a pretty clear picture of what women and feminism is going to be about....

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok. But, what's "nothing" about it? If it allows people to gain a balanced education on people's views, however shitty they are, they can then decide to ignore them.
It also allows people filled with hate to have a stage to spread that hate to other people. Just because these are 16-18 yr olds doesn't mean some aren't vulnerable

TheMikado

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
What the fuck does this have to do with the thread in question that we are posting in? I have no relation to the moderators other then when we migrated our communities from Discord to here. If you seriously think we're getting off scott free because of a mysterious relationship with the mods, then I want what you're smoking.

Absolutely no one said that. But by having the title you have recognition by the power structure to your contributions to the community vs a standard user. That's the point. While it carries nothing of value, within this community it has value and weight. It indicates past involvement with the power structure in some tangible way. Just like medals of honor do. Power structure doesn't just exist at the government level you know. Further you don't need to be official part of the power structure to be recognized or benefit from the power structure.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
Don't be disingenuous. My definition of opposition in the context of this situation is to tell the bigot to fuck off. Others' definition of opposition is to apparently to engage academically to maintain moral high ground and provide enlightenment. That's the fundamental disagreement here.

I still don't understand you. My point was that by giving obviously fuck-ass bigotry the pomp and circumstance of presence in an academic debate sphere, it gives bigotry an air of legitimacy it doesn't deserve which does more to appeal to fence-sitters than not. My appeal to intelligent design was to demonstrate the feeling of frustration most minorities have when they see liberals keen on letting bigots debate our worth through the veneer of intellectual discourse by comparing this to a subject most of these same liberals tend to rage at over the thought of being entertained in an academic setting. Seriously, no one here wants intelligent design debated in schools because it's obvious nonsense. But whether or not black people are inferior to white people? Well, suddenly we have to have a "conversation!" Allies, my ass.

So I'm not sure what in the world does the framing of potential laws have to do with any of this, but that's what I meant to say.
I guess you're just losing me with this blanket definition of what a liberal is and also your assumption that these "liberals" care more about evolution than human rights abuses. Id be hesitant to consider someone saying "let's have a debate to discuss the validity of your racist point of view" a liberal. That's the same "both sides" bullshit Trump was talking about after Charlottesville. The people behind movements like blm seem to care plenty about equal treatment and human rights yet they aren't include in your definition of a social liberal apparently.

Cream

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Then I've got an ex president you'd love...
You know Nazis and the alt-right love people like you, right? You successfully turned a conversation about the evils of nazism and what should be done to stop their spread into criticizing Obama.

You're doing their job for them and you can't even see it.

Or far more likely you know exactly what you're doing.

Oct 25, 2017
....k I think it would be better for my sanity if i don't post in this thread anymore. An eyeopening experience to be sure.

Note: I don't like Nazis, or racists just to be clear. Killing people for the ideas they have is a slippery slope to argue for.
Nazi's argue for the genociding of entire races yet you seem to have no problem engaging with them. Why are we different?

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't matter if they spread their "shit", you just have fight back against them with logic.

You know for those kinds of people it's only logical that immigrants stay out of their country. It's only logical that women have harder access to healthcare. It's only logical that gay marriage is illegal. Those things accrue them power over others. They maintain their status quo and privilege. They are acting in self interest, and it's only logical to do so.

Until you stop thinking about logic and start thinking about inalienable rights instead.

TheMikado

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
You know Nazis and the alt-right love people like you, right? You successfully turned a conversation about the evils of nazism and what should be done to stop their spread into criticizing Obama.

You're doing their job for them and you can't even see it.

Or far more likely you know exactly what you're doing.

There is soooo much factually wrong in this one post it's astounding. You're not even talking about he right president. What is this complex you have? What makes you think I'm criticizing Obama beyond your own ignorance and desire to see me as an alt right operative?

Quantza

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It also allows people filled with hate to have a stage to spread that hate to other people. Just because these are 16-18 yr olds doesn't mean some aren't vulnerable

But this happens with any form of communication. You just have to trust people at some point.
I mean in this case, I'd encourage more debates even, so that people with these racist/discriminatory views won't just keep them to themselves.
When arguing with someone about them, they'll see they can't give a reason for their view, even if they just accept it, at first.

Cream

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is soooo much factually wrong in this one post it's astounding. You're not even talking about he right president. What is this complex you have? What makes you think I'm criticizing Obama beyond your own ignorance and desire to see me as an alt right operative?
I apologize. I assumed you were talking about Obama. Lol I told you I wasn't knowledgeable on the topic. I'm not sure why you even brought up Al Queda at all except to deflect. But I've seen some of your posts in other threads, and I'm still pretty sure of your true intentions.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I guess you're just losing me with this blanket definition of what a liberal is and also your assumption that these "liberals" care more about evolution than human rights abuses. Id be hesitant to consider someone saying "let's have a debate to discuss the validity of your racist point of view" a liberal. That's the same "both sides" bullshit Trump was talking about after Charlottesville. The people behind movements like blm seem to care plenty about equal treatment and human rights yet they aren't include in your definition of a social liberal apparently.

I'm considering a liberal in the context of this discussion on ResetERA anyone who inherently disagrees with racism but yet nonetheless thinks bigots should be allowed to discuss their views on academic settings under the principle of free speech.

Oct 31, 2017
Your not stopping racist beliefs from spreading by refusing to engage them, you're at best just removing them from your own enclave, while at the same time allowing them to spread their propaganda unchallenged to everyone who's not already completely on your side.

FerventWish

Oct 31, 2017
United Kingdom
Very well societies.

This topic has nothing to do with safe spaces in schools.... This is about a school wanting to have a free for all where Are women genetically less capable of working in tech is deemed a worthy topic of discussion along with "Not all cultures are equal) .... Not to mention the humour of an all boys school discussion women and feminism... which when you look at the other topic I think draws a pretty clear picture of what women and feminism is going to be about....

The topic is to do with safe spaces in school. What do you mean by free for all anyway? Just because people are allowed to speak no matter what kind of view it doesn't mean the whole school advocates what you are saying here. If there is anything wrong with what someone is saying these students are very capable on responding with criticism and even teachers can get involved too. What you are saying is a complete misrepresentation and misinterpretation of the actual situation. Saying soceties doesn't make it any better beacuse you are generalising again too. Even if there are similarities between societies it still doesn't make the whole situation the same in the UK.

Well thats about enough for me I'm out...

Cream

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty funny that all the people leaving are the ones who were defending this idea.

Telling, huh?

TheMikado

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I apologize. I assumed you were talking about Obama. Lol I told you I wasn't knowledgeable on the topic. I'm not sure why you even brought up Al Queda at all except to deflect. But I've seen some of your posts in other threads, and I'm still pretty sure of your true intentions.

Look I think you should read why pre emptive strikes are a really bad idea. We've had a VERY clear example just 15-20 years again and people are complaining about history repeating itself when they are unaware of recent history less than 20 years ago. There was a world before Obama and a lot of stuff to criticize before then too. Including the idea of pre emptive strikes which are pretty much ALWAYS a bad idea.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Absolutely no one said that. But by having the title you have recognition by the power structure to your contributions to the community vs a standard user. That's the point. While it carries nothing of value, within this community it has value and weight. It indicates past involvement with the power structure in some tangible way. Just like medals of honor do. Power structure doesn't just exist at the government level you know. Further you don't need to be official part of the power structure to be recognized or benefit from the power structure.
fuck, we've been found out

resettlers, fly!

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is fascinating in that it shows why debate everything is in fact exhausting... folk are leaving in droves in the midst of debating the debate... but minorities, whose existence and rights folks want to create spaces to debate against... we don't get to just drop out of that debate.... We don't have that privilege.

HenrySwanson

Nov 23, 2017
no no no no no no.

Stop it. Stop with the fucking deflections. We are talking about the spread of white supremacy and nazism. Not Al Queda. Not Communists.
Well. Erm. Why just that? Communist Russia killed more people than Nazi Germany did. And if you hadn't noticed we've got a fair few returning fighters from ISIS coming to our (UK) shores and I'm sure I don't need to remind you of their track record.

Why are we singling out one group over another. That's not whataboutery that's just asking a logical question. Why allow one group to die off while allowing others to proliferate. Who gets to decide that?

Cream

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Look I think you should read why pre emptive strikes are a really bad idea. We've had a VERY clear example just 15-20 years again and people are complaining about history repeating itself when they are unaware of recent history less than 20 years ago. There was a world before Obama and a lot of stuff to criticize before then too. Including the idea of pre emptive strikes which are pretty much ALWAYS a bad idea.
Fuck Nazis.

They deserve to die if they refuse to renounce their beliefs and their plans. I will never back down from this.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
...It's a tag.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Everyone please get back on topic. Killing or not killing nazis isn't really the subject of this thread.

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But this happens with any form of communication. You just have to trust people at some point.
I mean in this case, I'd encourage more debates even, so that people with these racist/discriminatory views won't just keep them to themselves.
When arguing with someone about them, they'll see they can't give a reason for their view, even if they just accept it, at first.
Debates don't work for the majority of racists is my point, they just use them to spread their shit. They aren't open to changing their views, they want others to join them. That shit shouldn't be allowed in schools.

Living in the UK. I have seen my fair share of racist shit. I will never debate with these people.

grimybrit

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
After the Civil War, every single confederate general, at the very least, should have been killed. Everything should have been razed. After WW2, germany had the nuremberg trials. You have to stomp down this shit. It's the only way.
Love seeing people say shit like. Hindsight is supposed to be 20/20 but this is pure stupidity. Thankful people who think like you will never hold power.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
That's literally what is making me laugh so hard. Making mountains out of molehills, trying to make me and other resettle advisors out as if we are apart of the secret cabal to ban the alt-right from shitting up this site.
Heh. I don't know what's funnier, the bizarre misinterpretation of a completely innocuous tag (almost as if it was intended to deflect or change the subject or something), or this even more bizarre insistence at ~debating everything~ but when it comes to actual debating, the "k I'm out I can't do this" bailing.

You think people who are against it haven't left too? You think most of them aren't avoiding this thread? There's no victory to be had here.
I think Cream's point is that those who insist that every idea merits a debating platform are those who are the first to jump ship the moment minorities actually start humouring them. Not talking about people just avoiding the thread.

TheMikado

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Fuck Nazis.

They deserve to die if they refuse to renounce their beliefs and their plans. I will never back down from this.

Ok well look I can't help you with that, what I can do is respond to your incorrect assessment that I'm somehow part of the alt right and want to criticize Obama. Neither or why I said. It's just really a show that the "other side" isn't actually another side just who ever doesn't align with your opinions which makes them the other side. Which again is why a forum like this might help some people to gain perspective. The world didn't begin or end with nazis. Actual Nazis are probably the least hate prominent group out there in terms of actual geo political power. Russia by contrast as another poster has said has killed many more people and many of those people with that ideology are current active and embraced by the Russian government. Picking and choosing your oppresser because of lack of knowledge is a poor way to fight injustice.

Cream

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok well look I can't help you with that, what I can do is respond to your incorrect assessment that I'm somehow part of the alt right and want to criticize Obama. Neither or why I said. It's just really a show that the "other side" isn't actually another side just who ever doesn't align with your opinions which makes them the other side. Which again is why a forum like this might help some people to gain perspective. The world didn't begin or end with nazis. Actual Nazis are probably the least hate prominent group out there in terms of actual geo political power. Russia by contrast as another poster has said has killed many more people and many of those people with that ideology are current active and embraced by the Russian government. Picking and choosing your oppresser because of lack of knowledge is a poor way to fight injustice.
Your obvious gaslighting won't work on me lol

There's many many people who feel the same toward you. This is not how the world works, bud. Please exercise rational thought for once.

When will people learn that "the right feels the same about you!" will never be a good or convincing argument ever

Chaparral

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Heh. I don't know what's funnier, the bizarre misinterpretation of a completely innocuous tag (almost as if it was intended to deflect or change the subject or something), or this even more bizarre insistence at ~debating everything~ but when it comes to actual debating, the "k I'm out I can't do this" bailing.

Hey, I'd probably cut and run at some point in this thread too, but that's because I need to have a shower and there's still guys fixing my furnace.

goddamn it ban me I guess

Status
Not open for further replies.