• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
....k I think it would be better for my sanity if i don't post in this thread anymore.

Well thats about enough for me I'm out...

Well, thanks everyone. But I'm out for today.
These dramatic exit posts. You'll have to debate for far longer and in cleverer fashion when you come across alt-righters/nazis cause they don't like backing down or sticking to one topic than just one forum thread like right now ;)

TheMikado

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Heh. I don't know what's funnier, the bizarre misinterpretation of a completely innocuous tag (almost as if it was intended to deflect or change the subject or something), or this even more bizarre insistence at ~debating everything~ but when it comes to actual debating, the "k I'm out I can't do this" bailing.

I think Cream's point is that those who insist that every idea merits a debating platform are those who are the first to jump ship the moment minorities actually start humouring them. Not talking about people just avoiding the thread.

Read my post. Failure to understand power structure and "marks of honor" within a power structure are the key. I can't make people educate themselves on their mechanics.

As to the leaving, I never left. Just grabbed shower and can back to a dozen mentions of my name. I don't understand how people are failing to see the purpose of these spaces is to equalize power structures all the while stating there is no social advantage to a specific tag. Come on. It is an indicator of involvement in some form with the power structure. Please dispute that on merit if you disagree.

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
"Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past."
- Jean Paul Sarte, from "Anti-Semite and Jew." (Published 1946)

grimybrit

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Which country has statues celebrating these assholes? Hint: it ain't the ones who took the US's approach.
Mistakes were made. Proselytizing about how we should have killed thousands of people after the war because that would somehow fix the world today is imbecilic. I'm just not sure how edgy woulda-coulda-shouldas are valuable in this discussion.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Read my post. Failure to understand power structure and "marks of honor" within a power structure are the key. I can't make people educate themselves on their mechanics.

As to the leaving, I never left. Just grabbed shower and can back to a dozen mentions of my name. I don't understand how people are failing to see the purpose of these spaces is to equalize power structures all the while stating there is no social advantage to a specific tag. Come on. It is an indicator of involvement in some form with the power structure. Please dispute that on merit if you disagree.
Power structures? Marks of honour?

No. It's a tag. That's it. We have warned/banned people with tags. They don't have any special user privileges. I don't know why you're obsessing over this. I really, really don't. But I admit, it's funny.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
Absolutely no one said that. But by having the title you have recognition by the power structure to your contributions to the community vs a standard user. That's the point. While it carries nothing of value, within this community it has value and weight. It indicates past involvement with the power structure in some tangible way. Just like medals of honor do. Power structure doesn't just exist at the government level you know. Further you don't need to be official part of the power structure to be recognized or benefit from the power structure.

You need to take a chill pill. It's a tag. A tag. It's not some special indication of favorable relationship with the moderation team. Mods can't even give tags, only admins can. Anyone with a tag is held to the same standard as anyone without. We've banned those with tags as equally as we have banned those without.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
"Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past."
I don't think this has ever rung truer than it has for the alt-right "movement".

grimybrit

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
These dramatic exit posts. You'll have to debate for far longer and in cleverer fashion when you come across alt-righters/nazis cause they don't like backing down or sticking to one topic than just one forum thread like right now ;)
I think most rational people just dislike being told to support mass killings. That's probably why they're leaving the discussion here.

Oct 31, 2017
After the Civil War, every single confederate general, at the very least, should have been killed. Everything should have been razed. After WW2, germany had the nuremberg trials. You have to stomp down this shit. It's the only way.
I don't necessarily agree with this, but at least in this case those generals showed a willingness to take up arms and to murder on mass in defence of slavery. The people today, who are wistfully hoping for a return to a time when there countries were more ethnically homogeneous, as wrongheaded as they are have not advocated or shown a willingness to participate in the mass murder of those they consider outside of their preferred group.

Outside of the extremes, their tactics are mostly grounded in pushing for discriminative legislation and spreading there ideology through the propaganda of their prominent figures. This is where we should meet them, by refuting there ideas and organising to win legislative battles, not by preemptively killing anyone who ever carried a tiki torch in support of "Judeo Christian Values".

GrimJawz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Reading the absurdity that is a "unsafe space" in the thread title made me legitimately unironically chuckle for the first time in my life.

Kater

Oct 25, 2017
This is so typically right-wing. The left creates safe spaces so minorities can have a forum of their own where they meet a huge variety of people and they create a counter-movement to it, an unsafe space. Pathetic.

grimybrit

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
OH, so then how do you expect to debate Nazis that...

you guess it, SUPPORT MASS KILLINGS.
Oh we can debate them, but genuinely believing we should kill them for holding bad beliefs is absurd. The Nazi party is gone; neonazis exist, but they do not hold mass sway over the world. There is no world war against fascism right now.

TheMikado

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
User warned: persisting in thread derailing, ignoring admins/mods

No. It's a tag. That's it. We have warned/banned people with tags. They don't have any special user privileges. I don't know why you're obsessing over this. I really, really don't. But I admit, it's funny.

Yikes ok, do people with medals of honor get arrested? No one said it gives a written privilege. But it is an indication of history which allows an acting authoritative power perspective on past history and to execute on that as they wish. One mod may be more lenient while another more strict. I swear it's like you guys never read a single sociology book.

Cream

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh we can debate them, but genuinely believing we should kill them for holding bad beliefs is absurd. The Nazi party is gone; neonazis exist, but they do not hold mass sway over the world. There is no world war against fascism right now.
The president of the united states of America is literally a fascist.

mac

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If you press them closely they fall silent? Seems good to me! I'll keep challenging anti-semites instead of killing them.

Chaparral

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yikes ok, do people with medals of honor get arrested? No one said it gives a written privilege. But it is an indication of history which allows an acting authoritative power perspective on past history and to execute on that as they wish. One mod may be more lenient while another more strict. I swear it's like you guys never read a single sociology book.

it's a fucking tag, my god. Is this the hill you really want to die on?

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what people here make of the Gary Younge - Richard Spencer interview, which turned into a debate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puJ-arJgkZU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwN5wkTPn48

Let's ask Gary Young

The second was moral. I felt strongly that we should not give these people airtime to peddle their divisive lies. They were not a group I simply had a political disagreement with. Their politics of discrimination and scapegoating were antithetical to democratic norms. The media, I felt, should not smooth their path to respectability by giving them a platform and treating them like everyone else. The prospect of creating a spectacle, which in turn attracts viewers and clicks, should not override an ethical responsibility to avoid spreading hate speech and offensive propaganda.

The most common response to that video has been a variation on the theme of physical retribution ("I can't believe you didn't punch him"; "I'd have punched him"; "Someone should punch him"). That's not my style. But beyond that, many have raised the issue that I raised all those years ago – "Why give him a platform?" "Who stands to gain from this?" These are reasonable questions. Indeed I asked it myself, on camera, before I interviewed him, saying: "I'm quite conflicted about interviewing Richard Spencer. Ordinarily, giving someone like that oxygen is something I think journalists shouldn't do."

So why did I? Well, the primary reason was journalistic. The documentary seeks to unearth the roots of white anxiety in America and how that is affecting the nation's politics. Given US president Donald Trump's record of race-baiting it seemed like racism should be in the mix. There were some things we did take off the schedule – like an interview with the Ku Klux Klan – because we felt they did not represent anything significant. But Spencer seemed to have a different currency. He coined the term "alt-right" – a synonym for the extreme right. Steve Bannon, Trump's chief strategist at the time of the interview, used to run Breitbart News (and since his resignation from the post does again), which he boasted was a platform for the alt-right.

Having established that we would interview him, the next question was: how. For the risk remains that in giving him time we legitimise him as acceptable mainstream actor and dignify his views as being both reasonable and credible.

Throughout this trip, and throughout my career, I have met many people with views I've found objectionable. My general strategy is to let people speak for themselves and faithfully relate what they say – challenging only factual inaccuracies – in the hope that I can draw out why they think what they think. To be as empathic as I can, in the hope that I can work out where they are coming from.

But it was my view, shared by the team, that this was different. Spencer's supremacist views are well-known. So while we would put Spencer on camera, the aim would be to challenge his views not indulge them. The aim was to be civil but firm. My first question – "You want to create a nation of dispossessed white people. Is that right?" – was hardly a curveball.

What did we expect? From what we had seen before, he would appear charming and reasonable while giving his egregious and offensive views an intellectual gloss. He would find it in his own interests to be believable and engaging, and my task would be to get the mask to slip.

What we did not expect was that he would be ignorant, historically illiterate, incoherent and personally insulting. The reason I called time on the interview was because Spencer was spent – beyond baiting me, he had nothing to offer, and frankly, I had no desire to hang around a white supremacist conference a second longer than I had to.

What Gary Young did is far different than say inviting him to speak, or participate in a debate... Gary Young had far more power as an interviewer who controlled the narrative and controlled when the interview started and when it ended... than the sort of debate thing suggested here that would grant Spencer equal power to those against him, if not greater power/

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You need to take a chill pill. It's a tag. A tag. It's not some special indication of favorable relationship with the moderation team. Mods can't even give tags, only admins can. Anyone with a tag is held to the same standard as anyone without. We've banned those with tags as equally as we have banned those without.
But you said I was special?

mac

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Resettlement Advisor is more than a tag. And you can tell those with that "tag" know it.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
This thread is fascinating in that it shows why debate everything is in fact exhausting... folk are leaving in droves in the midst of debating the debate... but minorities, whose existence and rights folks want to create spaces to debate against... we don't get to just drop out of that debate.... We don't have that privilege.

I'd say the unsafe space is an excellent idea - if the rest of the campus is then treated as a safe space. Quid pro quo. If people feel so oppressed in that school that they need a designated zone to discuss their ideas, then by all means; but by the same token, ensure that the school protects others from them everywhere else. Failure to do so proves the unsafe space is meaningless and unnecessary; and that safe space advocates are the ones who need designated safe spaces to protect them from hateful attitudes:

Reality has a strong liberal bias. If people want to deny the holocaust, I say let them - but not in a school, which should protect all its students from the malevolence of others and from lies and propaganda. But by all means, give the people who want to talk about how much they hate feminism the equivalent of a smoking area, provided that means you'll shield others from second-hand ignorance everywhere else.

I think the reaction of parents speaks to a broader problem of intolerance and ignorance amongst English society. This school's dick-speech room is just a symptom of a much larger cultural problem.

Cream

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, buddy. Whatever makes you feel better. Saying it doesn't make it true, though.
It happens over and over again, and somehow, I still can't believe it when it happens again.

What the fuck is wrong with you? Are you blind? Are you just trolling me? How do you not see what's going on in this country and around the world? YOU are the people that led to the holocaust happening.

TheMikado

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
it's a fucking tag, my god. Is this the hill you really want to die on?

It's not a hill, I have NEVER stated that a mod won't ban someone with this tag. Period. You guys keep trying to say that's what I'm saying and I'm not. It is a mark. A badge. An indication of a past relationship with the power structure vs a standard user.Period. It does NOT grant special privileges, not everyone involved with have it. But it is an officially recognizable mark that indicates a past relationship with the power structure. Please debate that point of what I'm stating not what you are trying to make me say.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Heh. I don't know what's funnier, the bizarre misinterpretation of a completely innocuous tag (almost as if it was intended to deflect or change the subject or something), or this even more bizarre insistence at ~debating everything~ but when it comes to actual debating, the "k I'm out I can't do this" bailing.

I think Cream's point is that those who insist that every idea merits a debating platform are those who are the first to jump ship the moment minorities actually start humouring them. Not talking about people just avoiding the thread.

Fucking preach.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
But you said I was special?
Shhhhhh
Resettlement Advisor is more than a tag. And you can tell those with that "tag" know it.
...No. It's really not.

It happens over and over again, and somehow, I still can't believe it when it happens again.

What the fuck is wrong with you? Are you blind? Are you just trolling me? How do you not see what's going on in this country and around the world? YOU are the people that led to the holocaust happening.
Chill with the language.

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017

The moment a neonazi starts talking about mass-murdering minorities is the moment you should end the debate and arrest them according to hate speech laws, incitement etc. It should end right there and then.

Also, I'd argue that there are currenty people in very powerful positions who are sympathetic to neonazi ideals.

grimybrit

Banned
Nov 20, 2017

I'm seeing reality—a reality that looks nothing like the 1930s. Ad hominem hyperbole doesn't make what you're saying seem reasonable to me.

avaya

Oct 25, 2017
London
Not everyone who voted for Brexit was a racist xenophobe. There were plenty of them too but let's not paint such a large group with such a broad stroke.

True not 100% of self harmers are racist, there are some special corner cases. However the vast majority of Leave voters are racist. We have endless amounts of data to back this up.

grimybrit

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
The moment a neonazi starts talking about mass-murdering minorities is the moment you should end the debate and arrest them according to hate laws, incitement etc. It should end right there and then.

Also, I'd argue that there are currenty people in very powerful positions who are sympathetic to neonazi ideals.
Arrest is one thing—murder? No.

mac

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Hmm, we should do something to people like him.

Oct 31, 2017
Debates don't work for the majority of racists is my point, they just use them to spread their shit. They aren't open to changing their views, they want others to join them. That shit shouldn't be allowed in schools.

Living in the UK. I have seen my fair share of racist shit. I will never debate with these people.
It's not the racists that you need to convince(even though I don't think that's impossible), it's those who are on the fence that may be vulnerable to being indoctrinated by those with hateful views that are at risk.

Tesseract

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
i don't like safe spaces. the real world is a sensory unfriendly place, and that's where we must live.

let the best ideas win, and let them be plentifully good and bad. triggers are to be overcome, not bricked off.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's the truth.

The only thing that can stop or change Nazi ideals is direct action and violence. History has proven this.

Do you have a problem with the idea that nazis should be killed?

You know Nazis and the alt-right love people like you, right? You successfully turned a conversation about the evils of nazism and what should be done to stop their spread into criticizing Obama.

You're doing their job for them and you can't even see it.

Or far more likely you know exactly what you're doing.

no no no no no no.

Stop it. Stop with the fucking deflections. We are talking about the spread of white supremacy and nazism. Not Al Queda. Not Communists.

Fuck Nazis.

They deserve to die if they refuse to renounce their beliefs and their plans. I will never back down from this.

OH, so in that case, then how do you expect to debate Nazis that...

you guess it, SUPPORT MASS KILLINGS.

You've really contributed nothing to this thread but being aggressive and hyperbolic. Calm down. It's possible for someone to disagree with you without being a Nazi or Nazi sympathiser ffs. This is just the last hour btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.