• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

McQueeno

Nov 7, 2019
I forgot what it was....but this should be enough I guess

www.youtube.com

Half Hour of GoldenEye 007 XBLA Gameplay

This video includes about a half hour of gameplay from the unreleased and unfinished GoldenEye 007 XBLA remaster.http://rarethief.com/goldeneye-007-xblahttps...
I think it was someone showing proof that they knew the password and were playing the build. Still no password for it from what I can find.
Thank you both for your replies. I've been holding out for a release of the XBLA version of Goldeneye 007 for some time. In a world where Nintendo and Microsoft are playing nice, and the Bond rights holders have returned to video games, the stars seem to be aligning. This just adds fuel to the fire.

But like all things in this industry, it ain't real until we can play it.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, saw this earlier today. Some crazy finds coming up! Totally unseen things like that early map design. Too bad it's not playable since it's just an overdump.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
the zelda stuff from today does not come from this leak, it comes from a physical betal f-zero (?!) card that they found that had zelda stuff on it

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017
Crazy that discoveries are still being made like this, especially with such an important game like Zelda 64. I can wait to see what all pops out from this.

Now f only a build of Earthbound 64 Spaceworld Demo could pop up this way too. I'd probably fall into a coma from the excitement.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
I forgot what it was....but this should be enough I guess

www.youtube.com

Half Hour of GoldenEye 007 XBLA Gameplay

This video includes about a half hour of gameplay from the unreleased and unfinished GoldenEye 007 XBLA remaster.http://rarethief.com/goldeneye-007-xblahttps...
Shit.

So it's like what they did with Perfect Dark. It's still the exact same game but with new textures, HD polygons and improved framerate. I had always heard the rumors but I never saw it in action.

I want this badly.

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
Shit.

I want this badly.
You and everyone else. You see how morals aside how cool these leaks are? I love seeing this thread come back alive every now and then to see what else could have been. It's technically not important but I bet a lot of these assets and artwork also give off tons of warm feelings inside cause we likely saw previews growing up too.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
This continues to be the most interesting thread on this website. Thanks for all who are keeping up with the leaks and sharing the information. To see the creative process for some legendary experiences have been really amazing.

Acetown

Oct 28, 2017
Seems like a much bigger difference than Jammin' Sam Miller's DKC restorations.

Reworking the samples to fit inside the SNES' limited memory was no small feat from what I've heard. The fact that they were able to preserve the sounds of the original instruments as well as they did really makes you appreciate what a technical tour de force the Donkey Kong Country games were.

I want to hear more restorations like this. Imagine Final Fantasy VI.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I'll just leave this here.

It's fascinating and cool but I hate how it sounds. Nostalgia has poisoned me.

Oh man... Mario World is the earliest SNES game, and its instruments are incredibly compressed, probably to save precious cartridge space, and/or RAM space. I've long wondered what exactly some of those Mario World instruments were actually supposed to be, and for a good while I've dreamed to hear the Super Mario World soundtrack without compressed instruments.

The end result is fascinating, and it sounds equally great and weird.

According to the tweets, the leaked source code for Super Mario Advance 2: Super Mario World contains all the game's instruments and sound samples in a folder with their proper filenames... And it is those filenames which led to them learning the source of each sound and instrument.

TheAggroCraig

This guy are sick of the One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
These are super cool, but definitely do not hit like the DKC ones do, those are just on another level restored.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The restored soundtracks kind of remind me a bit of Super Mario 64's sound palette. Lots of strings.

Really fascinating to hear how they were put together. I reckon the sounds were made in consideration with how they'd end up sounding on the SNES though, kinda like how old sprites were made in mind for CRT monitors. There's a lot of heavy reverb and some other details that make sense in the SNES compositions but less so in their restored versions.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

I have no idea what samples they're using there, but they're most definitely not what was sourced for SMW. They don't sound anything alike, at least for the Fortress theme.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana

single%2Bvalentine%2527s%2Bday%2Bguide%2Bhow%2Bto%2Benjoy%2Bvalentine%2527s%2Bday%2Beven%2Bwhen%2Byou%2Bare%2Bsingle%2Balone%2Baf%2Bbritney%2Bspears%2Bpanties%2Bi%2Blove%2Bit%2Bfunny.gif

baggage

Oct 25, 2017
It's the right sources, but the way the samples in super mario world were cut and compressed down, they sound very different from the original synths. A more accurate approach would be to resample the instruments the way the nintendo sound team did and then use those samples in the recreations, but it's a lot more work

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
Now f only a build of Earthbound 64 Spaceworld Demo could pop up this way too. I'd probably fall into a coma from the excitement.

The holy grail for me would be the latest build of EarthBound 64 before it was cancelled. My dream would be for it to be far enough long that fans could use Mother 3 to try to finish the game as best they could, sorta like Resident Evil 1.5.

Then I'd love some unreleased Virtual Boy games, like the Mario platformer they were working on that there's video of.

I mean the fact that Nintendo actually still had the lotcheck of the WorkBoy software, and that it just happened to leak a few weeks before Liam from DidYouKnowGaming managed to find the only known surviving prototype of the unreleased WorkBoy is just mind boggling. I feel like they have to still have some of those incomplete Virtual Boy games somewhere, and they certainly still must have some EarthBound 64 code.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I feel like they have to still have some of those incomplete Virtual Boy games somewhere, and they certainly still must have some EarthBound 64 code.
Nintendo has everything. Everything. Certain people like to rag on them for not putting out fancy behind the scenes extras and criterion collection-style packages for obscure old shit but that doesn't mean they don't have every single thing they made archived. We've glimpsed behind the curtain enough times, officially and unofficially, to know that this is true.

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo has everything. Everything. Certain people like to rag on them for not putting out fancy behind the scenes extras and criterion collection-style packages for obscure old shit but that doesn't mean they don't have every single thing they made archived. We've glimpsed behind the curtain enough times, officially and unofficially, to know that this is true.
Take me to the treasure vault.

2flthlthkoc51.png

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017
The holy grail for me would be the latest build of EarthBound 64 before it was cancelled. My dream would be for it to be far enough long that fans could use Mother 3 to try to finish the game as best they could, sorta like Resident Evil 1.5.

Then I'd love some unreleased Virtual Boy games, like the Mario platformer they were working on that there's video of.

I mean the fact that Nintendo actually still had the lotcheck of the WorkBoy software, and that it just happened to leak a few weeks before Liam from DidYouKnowGaming managed to find the only known surviving prototype of the unreleased WorkBoy is just mind boggling. I feel like they have to still have some of those incomplete Virtual Boy games somewhere, and they certainly still must have some EarthBound 64 code.

Without a doubt they still have most of these unreleased games, both VB and N64 like Earthbound. The worst part is that sadly, they're probably just gathering dust in some closet at HQ. I could only imagine the treasure troves of beta and unreleased games wasting away there... *sigh*

Well, thankfully we still have hope since people are starting to see the importance of preservation and we end up with leaks like these. If the stars align, EB64 will show up one day too (I'd also love to see Resident Evil 0 N64 too, though that's another stretch).

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
Without a doubt they still have most of these unreleased games, both VB and N64 like Earthbound. The worst part is that sadly, they're probably just gathering dust in some closet at HQ. I could only imagine the treasure troves of beta and unreleased games wasting away there... *sigh*

Well, thankfully we still have hope since people are starting to see the importance of preservation and we end up with leaks like these. If the stars align, EB64 will show up one day too (I'd also love to see Resident Evil 0 N64 too, though that's another stretch).
I want to hire a spy to go in and get the source code for Metroid Dread. I am really curious as to how it was beyond it being like Fusion on two screens.

Deleted member 55822

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 10, 2019
The case of Super Mario World's original samples remind me of Metal Slader Glory's soundtracks. There's a release of the soundtracks quite a while ago that features both the Famicom version and the original version (labeled as "Demo" interestingly) It's quite different altogether.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games

This is not an issue of preservation. Sharing these publicly has little to do with preservation itself when the source company is already known for being excellent at preserving their own stuff. They just don't share it publicly. That's a huge huge difference worth remembering.

Stone Cold

Oct 27, 2017
This is not an issue of preservation. Sharing these publicly has little to do with preservation itself when the source company is already known for being excellent at preserving their own stuff. They just don't share it publicly. That's a huge huge difference worth remembering.
Which is a massive shame and tbqh the importance of this work is such that I'm okay with it leaking out if it means the public gets to see it. It would be like the louvre not allowing the public to view its many works, it's a shame.

boi

Nov 1, 2017
Not true. The source code for F-Zero GX is lost.

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017

Storing something in an box, locked away where no one will likely ever see it (intentionally at that) runs at the cutoff of even being called 'preservation'. We as a people generally preserve things for others in the future to be able to see and experience things we consider important, so the type of preserving that locks something away from everyone else (without any public record) goes against the spirit of why preservation is a thing in the first place. Even with betas and prototypes, this stuff is important development history that should at least be seen by the rest of the world in the form of video or other recordings, not just hid and forgotten.

You can surely argue that it is preservation as they are being safely retained, but then you have to ask the question; what's the point of preserving something no one will ever see?

Jul 27, 2020
I have no idea what samples they're using there, but they're most definitely not what was sourced for SMW. They don't sound anything alike, at least for the Fortress theme.
YEah i dont get this, it restores the samples but sound nothing like SMW..mostly anyway. When converted back to SNES's soundchip do they sound like they actually do or something?

Anton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
For the DKC restorations, Sam Miller eventually went and edited the original samples to sound closer to the SNES originals and ideally the Mario World ones would go through the same process for the sake of accuracy, but the way the SNES outputs the final audio will colour the samples as well since it applies a type of gaussian filter on the final output as a primitive form of lowpass that these restorations will not have.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Not true. The source code for F-Zero GX is lost.
Great job, Nagoshi. :/
Storing something in an box, locked away where no one will likely ever see it (intentionally at that) runs at the cutoff of even being called 'preservation'. We as a people generally preserve things for others in the future to be able to see and experience things we consider important, so the type of preserving that locks something away from everyone else (without any public record) goes against the spirit of why preservation is a thing in the first place. Even with betas and prototypes, this stuff is important development history that should at least be seen by the rest of the world in the form of video or other recordings, not just hid and forgotten.

You can surely argue that it is preservation as they are being safely retained, but then you have to ask the question; what's the point of preserving something no one will ever see?
As we have continually seen in recent years, we might see it eventually...

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I want to hire a spy to go in and get the source code for Metroid Dread. I am really curious as to how it was beyond it being like Fusion on two screens.
That's another one I'd absolutely love to see. Metroid is by far my favorite series. I always assumed Dread couldn't have been too far along in development, though presumably enough that they were apparently considering showing it off at E3.

Would also love to see a playable build of the early version of Fusion, where Samus could run up walls.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
That's another one I'd absolutely love to see. Metroid is by far my favorite series. I always assumed Dread couldn't have been too far along in development, though presumably enough that they were apparently considering showing it off at E3.

Would also love to see a playable build of the early version of Fusion, where Samus could run up walls.
From what former NST people have said is that it played and looked like Fusion on the DS.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Any chance of a OoT PC port like we saw with Mario 64?

Eblo

Oct 25, 2017
Any chance of a OoT PC port like we saw with Mario 64?
To expand upon the above post, using leaked source code would make a PC port illegal. The SM64 PC port was reverse engineered and did not use any leaked source code. That is why the project is freely and legally available.

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
As much as i love seeing these leaks, in my opinion preservation concerns only applies to something that was comercially available at some point and that can't/may not be playable in a foreseable future. As for beta stuff, concepts, early builds, etc, these things are meant to be kept away from public eye anyway. Again, don't get me wrong, i love when these things leak.

Oct 25, 2017
As much as i love seeing these leaks, in my opinion preservation concerns only applies to something that was comercially available at some point and that can't/may not be playable in a foreseable future. As for beta stuff, concepts, early builds, etc, these things are meant to be kept away from public eye anyway. Again, don't get me wrong, i love when these things leak.

The 'morality' topic seemed as welcome as a fart in a space-suit, though.