• The ResetEra Games of the Year Awards 2018 results are now live! Congratulations to all the winners!
  • Sidebar and Width settings will now no longer reset after 4 hours of inactivity! We have implemented a new system that will remember these preferences on each browser, for both members and guests. This allows you to choose different settings on different devices if you so desire.

US PoliERA 2019 |OT1| You down wit' NDP? (Yeah you know me!) Who's down wit' AOC? (This whole party!)

Oct 27, 2017
I wish that Michelle Obama did not hate politics so much, because the race would be over the second she announced for 2020. She would CRUSH Trump.

Oct 27, 2017
It's hilarious and pathetic to me that Avenatti thinks trolling Trump on Twitter is the Presidential test he needs to pass to qualify for the most powerful position in the world. Try getting elected to the school board first, schmuck.

Oct 26, 2017
Canada

Ronna McDaniel @GOPChairwoman

Chuck & Nancy need to stop their political games & address the border crisis:

*1 in 3 migrant women are sexually assaulted on the journey northward

*50 illegal migrants a day are referred for emergency medical care

*CBP rescues 4,300 people a year who are in danger & distress

Greg Sargent @ThePlumLineGS

The WH is now forced to pretend they care about the humanitarian side because they're losing the public, which despite three months of propaganda demonizing the migrants as criminals and terrorists, properly understands this as a humanitarian crisis.
Susan Hennessey @Susan_Hennessey​
Setting aside the absolute gall required to pretend to be denying asylum-seekers right to claim asylum out of concern for their safety, there is no evidence that suggests Trump's ridiculous wall would alleviate any of these issues. https://twitter.com/GOPChairwoman/status/1083801216579194880 …​

Oct 27, 2017
The shutdown is a disgrace but I'm secretly glad there wasn't a last-minute solution because "longest shutdown in history" is going to sound great in 2020 political ads.

plagiarize

Yearning to breathe free
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA

The WH is now forced to pretend they care about the humanitarian side because they're losing the public, which despite three months of propaganda demonizing the migrants as criminals and terrorists, properly understands this as a humanitarian crisis.
Setting aside the absolute gall required to pretend to be denying asylum-seekers right to claim asylum out of concern for their safety, there is no evidence that suggests Trump's ridiculous wall would alleviate any of these issues. https://twitter.com/GOPChairwoman/status/1083801216579194880 …​
Yup.

And a wall helps with none of these things. I don't see how a wall prevents people getting raped on their way to the border.

Oct 25, 2017
Worth remembering that almost every single one of the Siena polls asked the question, "Do you believe that undocumented immigrants are more likely to commit major crimes?" or something to that effect.

"Yes" didn't get a majority in ANY district they polled. The worst one was like 47-53 or something.

WaPo had a nationwide survey showing that only 33% of the public (ALWAYS) believed it.

It's not a winning argument. The public hasn't fallen for it.

Oct 30, 2017
London
The shutdown is a disgrace but I'm secretly glad there wasn't a last-minute solution because "longest shutdown in history" is going to sound great in 2020 political ads.
List of achievements:

• Longest shutdown ever
• 3 shutdowns in half a term
• Failing at healthcare repeal
• Uh, tax cuts?

Oct 25, 2017
She would make a far better leader and she works for next to nothing.
So you're telling me she would stop accepting treats while 800K Federal workers aren't getting paid? I think not!

Thousands of strays are dying in the streets. Gangs are roaming around for innocents to prey upon, and yet she can afford a pink jacket, despite claiming she is a "dog of the people?" Typical neo-doge rhetoric.

Vixdean

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm honestly surprised by how quickly Trump's support is collapsing on the shutdown and how strong the Democrats have been holding the line. Granted, Trump is an especially terrible politician but it seems like the good guys have finally learned some hard lessons.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
So you're telling me she would stop accepting treats while 800K Federal workers aren't getting paid? I think not!

Thousands of strays are dying in the streets. Gangs are roaming around for innocents to prey upon, and yet she can afford a pink jacket, despite claiming she is a "dog of the people?" Typical neo-doge rhetoric.
Honestly, Shibas would be Republicans.
I once had a behaviorist tell me to give her treats when my other Shiba was around so that she would associate him with good things. I said, that's not what's going to happen. She's going to think, "You know what would be even better than this? If he was dead and I got all the treats."

Oct 25, 2017
Yup.

And a wall helps with none of these things. I don't see how a wall prevents people getting raped on their way to the border.
They'd argue they're helping them by dissuading them from even trying to come here. Obviously that doesn't help them escape the situation they're fleeing, though.

Oct 25, 2017
This is going be part of the story about why primarying a conservative Dem in Texas's 25th is going to be incredibly hard relative to a guy like Lipinski, who we can probably get knocked out over in Chicago eventually- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas's_28th_congressional_district

Ethnicity

15.09% White
4.02% Black
1.43% Asian
78.5% Hispanic
0.96% Native American
It's a D+9 district, but the social conservatism, Cuellar being in politics since 1987, and the majority-minority district are all intertwined here.

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
Surprising Everyone, Florida’s New Republican Governor Orders Sweeping Environmental Reform

https://earther.gizmodo.com/surprising-everyone-florida-s-new-republican-governor-1831677388

On Thursday, Desantis signed an executive order to tackle the myriad environmental problems facing the state from toxic algae to sea level rise to Everglades degradation. He also asked for the resignation of all board members of Florida’s most powerful water management district, which has come under fire for leasing parts of the Everglades needed for restoration to the sugar industry just after November’s election.

The biggest ticket item on DeSantis’ environmental executive order was to score $2.5 billion over the next four years for Everglades protection and restoration. Among the litany of other directives, the order also includes the creation of an algae task force to deal with the state’s persistent toxic blooms, taking actions to “adamantly oppose” offshore drilling and fracking, and appointing a chief science officer and Office of Resilience and Coastal Protection “to help prepare Florida’s coastal communities and habitats for impacts from sea level rise.”
Encouraging.

Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Heh, heard a nice argument today: Trump is trying to turn the US into a gated community. Wall to the south, oceans either side, friendly neighbors to the north. "Seasonal/legal Immigrants" can come in and do the dirty work, but then they have to go home.

plagiarize

Yearning to breathe free
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
They'd argue they're helping them by dissuading them from even trying to come here. Obviously that doesn't help them escape the situation they're fleeing, though.
Right.

Plus, one of the reasons for the *small* increase in illegal border crossings is the bottlenecks we've had at the legal points of entry. I'd wager most of the people who make the trip do so intending to enter the country legally whether they ultimately do or not.

Oct 25, 2017
DeSantis also rescinded a bunch of midnight nominations that Rick Scott tried to force through. (The Florida legislature begins its sessions very soon after an election and has virtually no lame duck; one of the few political things they do right.)

Oct 26, 2017

Oh my word well hurry up and fund the government then so we can process these people and get them the help they need! Thanks for making our point?

Oct 27, 2017
Yup.

Furthermore they're being separated from their kids once they arrive, then sent back anyway so presumably the cycle can start over.

This explanation they've come up with, like the others, doesn't make sense.